Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Gonz posted:

I certainly hope that Washington becomes a semi-regular character, and they don't use him as some sort of "once or twice a season" gig.

It's WASHINGTON'S spy ring, for chrissakes.

Considering we're just seeing the ring get started, I don't think Washington's gonna be much of a part at just this moment since it's that one dragoon officer who's funding it and the other trying to break it up. Washington hasn't even appeared yet that I know of, or if he did it was for his only time this season, as noted on IMDb. Maybe in the following seasons Washington will become a more regular show as he gets on board with the program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I want to like this show. Hell, I want to love this show. I was really looking forward to it. It just hasn't grabbed me yet, though. Yeah I know it's only been two episodes, but I usually have some feelings about a show by now other than "meh"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

SocketWrench posted:

Considering we're just seeing the ring get started, I don't think Washington's gonna be much of a part at just this moment since it's that one dragoon officer who's funding it and the other trying to break it up. Washington hasn't even appeared yet that I know of, or if he did it was for his only time this season, as noted on IMDb. Maybe in the following seasons Washington will become a more regular show as he gets on board with the program

All I want is for him to put a woman's hand in a jar of acid at a dinner party.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Fateo McMurray posted:

I want to like this show. Hell, I want to love this show. I was really looking forward to it. It just hasn't grabbed me yet, though. Yeah I know it's only been two episodes, but I usually have some feelings about a show by now other than "meh"

Don't despair. This show could turn out to be extremely good. Hell, it took Agents of SHIELD almost 20 episodes to get awesome. Let's hope TURN doesn't follow that formula.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Gonz posted:

Don't despair. This show could turn out to be extremely good. Hell, it took Agents of SHIELD almost 20 episodes to get awesome. Let's hope TURN doesn't follow that formula.

At this point I feel it is my duty to point out that the AoS episode that TURNed the show around was called "TURN, TURN, TURN", so maybe we just have to wait for episode 3.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I wonder if they're ever going to introduce members of the British military who aren't raging douche bags.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Fateo McMurray posted:

I wonder if they're ever going to introduce members of the British military who aren't raging douche bags.
The Scotsman?

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Fateo McMurray posted:

This is also how I feel about it, but I am going to keep with it, especially given what the next poster pointed out about AoS and I'm still watching that.

I kind of feel obligated as a history teacher to watch it, too.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

leidend posted:

Does this show appeal at all to non-Americans/Commonwealthers who think the revolutionary war was unnecessary? I've been recording it but was out of my place for all of March so I'm super behind on TV in general.

I honestly don't see how this matters. You don't have to like serial killers or drug dealers to enjoy Hannibal or Breaking Bad. It's a moment in history where two sides were divided over an issue, that's pretty much all you need to understand to watch the show.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

JohnSherman posted:

I honestly don't see how this matters. You don't have to like serial killers or drug dealers to enjoy Hannibal or Breaking Bad. It's a moment in history where two sides were divided over an issue, that's pretty much all you need to understand to watch the show.

Right, it doesn't matter if I agree with the protagonist's motives but it does if the story is one-sided propaganda where the British are comically evil. I love shows where nothing is black and white (GoT, Mad Men, etc.) but Americans tend to have trouble showing the revolutionary war as it really was.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fateo McMurray posted:

I'm the same way. I DVR it later than its airing time, then only passingly watch it while I gently caress around on a tablet, only rewinding when it's clear something interesting or amusingly violent just happened.

leidend posted:

Right, it doesn't matter if I agree with the protagonist's motives but it does if the story is one-sided propaganda where the British are comically evil. I love shows where nothing is black and white (GoT, Mad Men, etc.) but Americans tend to have trouble showing the revolutionary war as it really was.

That fact being that a bunch of aristocrats started a war for 'freedom' which actually was just a bid to pay no taxes (and eventually levy their own) and trade with Britain's enemies because it was extremely profitable? They can't do that - people might start to notice a pattern!

That being said, I do like it how it portrays the vast majority of the colonists being more or less ambivalent to who's in charge so long as the basic human necessities are accessible.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 21, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the show is very firmly "competent". It's better than, say, Hell on Wheels, and I don't think anyone expected it to be the next Breaking Bad. I wonder if the lead-in to Mad Men is generating any ratings, or if AMC is just hosed for airing anything on Game of Thrones Night.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

precision posted:

I think the show is very firmly "competent". It's better than, say, Hell on Wheels, and I don't think anyone expected it to be the next Breaking Bad. I wonder if the lead-in to Mad Men is generating any ratings, or if AMC is just hosed for airing anything on Game of Thrones Night.

Seeing as I'd say the majority of GoT watchers are getting it on torrents, watching it in a group, or using a borrowed HBO Go login, they don't really compete for the timeslot except against people with HBO subscriptions.

...granted, that's ~29% of all televisions in the US, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That's true, GoT is probably even more-torrented than The Walking Dead at this point.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
This show is annoying. There's so much potential but good god it's loving bland. It's all pretty set pieces but there's little else to root for. Nothing is really happening and the show is really loving preachy with the whole Innocent Colonists VS Corrupt Nobles themes.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Holy poo poo, save the best for last. Wasn't expecting the rebel captain against torturing an enemy officer to be such a bastard.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Shitenshi posted:

Holy poo poo, save the best for last. Wasn't expecting the rebel captain against torturing an enemy officer to be such a bastard.
It is inevitable that he turns out to be a traitor. Michael Gaston is always typecast as that type of character, and this show has shown no signs of being good enough to subvert audience expectations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Shitenshi posted:

Now now, remember, we Americans are trying to show the British as the bastards and certainly not us with a prisoner beating, unsympathetic smuggler, a major hell bent on forming a spy ring that goes along with the beating of captured officers, the troops under his commanded that bayonet even the wounded, and his officer that executes his own men whether right or wrong...no, we're just dressing up our side as innocent school children

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I've always been surprised that Jason Issacs was able to continue to get work in the UK after his almost comically evil portrayal of Colonel Tavington in Mel Gibson's "American Braveheart" retread.

Simcoe is a more realistic evil character, and more resplendent of the reality of colonial/empire warfare.

Also, they really are doing their homework very well in regards to societal norms of the time. Abe's wife confronting Anna about him potentially loving her behind her back being 'okay' so long as they keep it a secret, one state's militia not really giving a gently caress about what happens in another state (unless they're being ordered by an officer), etc. And again, the portrayal that the common colonist doesn't really give a poo poo who's winning or losing. And if it employs a handful of historians, all the better.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 21, 2014

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is a certain bit of sound that plays a bit after the turncoat rifle-butts the prisoner halfway through this episode. A dog barking and the sound of a woman singing for a bit, was lifted off Grandia II. Someone on AMC loves using that track for several shows now.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

SocketWrench posted:

Now now, remember, we Americans are trying to show the British as the bastards and certainly not us with a prisoner beating, unsympathetic smuggler, a major hell bent on forming a spy ring that goes along with the beating of captured officers, the troops under his commanded that bayonet even the wounded, and his officer that executes his own men whether right or wrong...no, we're just dressing up our side as innocent school children

If this is your unnecessarily sarcastic way of saying the show is not just propaganda, thanks for the info. I still haven't watched an episode yet.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

SocketWrench posted:

Why the hell are you being so drat passive aggressive? The one captain that seems to have a sense of decency upends that by being a complete self-serving rear end in a top hat, that's not exactly something you just handwave away (see the well done AHS: Asylum plot twist).

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
I would love a good show about the revolutionary wars, but I guess you really have to be very American to watch this. All characters are blandly one-dimensional with the heroic Americans and sadistic British occupiers. Even if it picks up, this kinda shows the writing team is not really willing or able to put together the ingredients for a good show.

But of course, as long as there is no gay General von Steuben wipping the American boys into shape, it's not a good show by definition.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Boner Slam posted:

I would love a good show about the revolutionary wars, but I guess you really have to be very American to watch this. All characters are blandly one-dimensional with the heroic Americans and sadistic British occupiers.

You literally have not been watching the show.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've always been surprised that Jason Issacs was able to continue to get work in the UK after his almost comically evil portrayal of Colonel Tavington in Mel Gibson's "American Braveheart" retread.

Simcoe is a more realistic evil character, and more resplendent of the reality of colonial/empire warfare.

Also, they really are doing their homework very well in regards to societal norms of the time. Abe's wife confronting Anna about him potentially loving her behind her back being 'okay' so long as they keep it a secret, one state's militia not really giving a gently caress about what happens in another state (unless they're being ordered by an officer), etc. And again, the portrayal that the common colonist doesn't really give a poo poo who's winning or losing. And if it employs a handful of historians, all the better.

Jason Issacs owns sorry dawg.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Just wanted to say that the green screen in this week's episode was really, really noticeable and bad.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Shitenshi posted:

Why the hell are you being so drat passive aggressive? The one captain that seems to have a sense of decency upends that by being a complete self-serving rear end in a top hat, that's not exactly something you just handwave away (see the well done AHS: Asylum plot twist).

Where was I handwaving anything? I was trying to point out what a bunch of bastards the show has on the "good" side

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

SocketWrench posted:

Where was I handwaving anything? I was trying to point out what a bunch of bastards the show has on the "good" side
Yeah, so that makes it an even better plot twist when the one beacon of decency turns out to be an even worse shithead than anyone else. It's still worth pointing out just because of how unexpected that usually is.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009

Emron posted:

Just wanted to say that the green screen in this week's episode was really, really noticeable and bad.

So far I think this is a pretty good show with potential, but no where near the quality of Breaking Bad / Mad Men awesome. There's time though, so we'll see!

Anyway, that green screen was so bad I literally started laughing out loud because holy poo poo it looked terrible. Like, Fisher Price My First Green Screen levels of lovely.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

frosteh posted:

So far I think this is a pretty good show with potential, but no where near the quality of Breaking Bad / Mad Men awesome. There's time though, so we'll see!

Anyway, that green screen was so bad I literally started laughing out loud because holy poo poo it looked terrible. Like, Fisher Price My First Green Screen levels of lovely.
To be fair, the green screen was probably done by the same intern that made the terrible Flash animation for the opening credits.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

grrarg posted:

To be fair, the green screen was probably done by the same intern that made the terrible Flash animation for the opening credits.

I like the opening credits. :(

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Seriously, the credits sequence is one of the better parts of this show.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

JohnSherman posted:

Seriously, the credits sequence is one of the better parts of this show.

The sequence is great, but the song is terrible.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I'm pretty sure The Librarian: Quest for the Spear had better green screen than those wide shots, especially that boat one. Holy poo poo.

ManSedan posted:

The sequence is great, but the song is terrible.
Theaaas a snaaaaaaake in thaaaaaaaa gaaaaaaaaaaadeeeennnnnnnnn

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Yeah, there was so much potential there, but the green screens in both scenes sucked so bad...looks like either AMC picked the wrong people for it or are trying to make this thing on the cheap to make up for TWD

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, there was so much potential there, but the green screens in both scenes sucked so bad...looks like either AMC picked the wrong people for it or are trying to make this thing on the cheap to make up for TWD

It never ceases to amaze me what costs money on a film shoot. I mean, how much could it possibly cost to throw some no-name actor out on a boat and have him paddle around for ten minutes?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Off to a pretty good start so far. Never thought this show would go in such an outwardly unsavory direction.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
drat, talk about a shot in the arm. Those last few lines were vicious.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

JohnSherman posted:

It never ceases to amaze me what costs money on a film shoot. I mean, how much could it possibly cost to throw some no-name actor out on a boat and have him paddle around for ten minutes?

Or have someone with competence make New York harbor on a computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I think what's bugged me so far is that for all the hype around spying and codes and stuff, there's not a lot of spying in this show so far. More Abe/AbeDad familial drama than spy work. Maybe it'll pick up once we get past six episodes of origin story.

• Locked thread