Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Aaah, I see. I read you Q as a rhetorical device, like "what is is with plane food amirite?". I didn't realise you were actually asking about plane food.

Answer: dunno, but they're cheap enough to not have to go through the difficulty. Did it work/fit/etc. alright the 5 min you used it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
I still really like my Icon, but the fact that the Maps app doesn't get real time updates from the MTA about lines being out and stuff is causing me a lot of trouble. Is there a decent third party app that I can use or has all app support died off by now? I know my USAA app stopped working recently and that sucked.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So my 950XL has a cracked screen...I have Microsoft Complete that expires in a few months.

If I bring it in to the Microsoft Store...what will they do? Give me an S9 or something after the deductible?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Let me call Microsoft for you and ask.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Give you store credit for what you paid minus the deductible.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Charles posted:

Give you store credit for what you paid minus the deductible.

Thanks

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
Finally decided it was time to let the Icon go and got myself a Pixel. What can i do to ease the transition? Or at least move my contacts and stuff?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Anonononomous posted:

Finally decided it was time to let the Icon go and got myself a Pixel. What can i do to ease the transition? Or at least move my contacts and stuff?

Just find a way to sync it all with gmail. once its on gmail it will automatically show up on the pixel

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Just find a way to sync it all with gmail. once its on gmail it will automatically show up on the pixel

It seems the Icon decided to have some of my contacts and Gmail ones and some not, so a lot of stuff showed up, but not my older contacts. Any idea how to get stuff like texts or is that a lost cause? The Verizon store wasn't too keen on it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You don't need to transfer everything to Google wholesale, everything I had on my Microsoft account I've been able to keep there and use on my phone. Download the Microsoft app from the Play Store and you'll find that most things you used before are right there.

Not sure about texts though, sorry.

I've had to send my Xperia for repair, so I dug out my 950, and it's still so responsive and good. I'm still depressed about how it all didn't work out. :(

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 20, 2018

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I finally jumped ship to a Google Pixel 2 XL a couple days ago. I was also considering the Galaxy S9+ and iPhone X but the Pixel ended up being the cheapest and, in my opinion, has the best screen and camera out of the three. It's so nice actually having apps (including all the ones I had on Windows Phone) regular updates, a fingerprint scanner...even the call quality is clearer. Only thing I miss is the Live Tiles.

A lot of wasted potential, but it was an interesting experiment while it lasted.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Charles Martel posted:

I finally jumped ship to a Google Pixel 2 XL a couple days ago. I was also considering the Galaxy S9+ and iPhone X but the Pixel ended up being the cheapest and, in my opinion, has the best screen and camera out of the three. It's so nice actually having apps (including all the ones I had on Windows Phone) regular updates, a fingerprint scanner...even the call quality is clearer. Only thing I miss is the Live Tiles.

A lot of wasted potential, but it was an interesting experiment while it lasted.

Widgets are much more functional than live tiles were. For example, the BBC News app has a great List widget that allows you to scroll through dozens of headlines without having to go into the app.

Any particular live tiles you miss?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Launcher 10 is your friend if you want the Windows Phone UI back. It isn't just the live tiles, it's the beautifully compact design as well that I really needed to get back.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Widgets are much more functional than live tiles were. For example, the BBC News app has a great List widget that allows you to scroll through dozens of headlines without having to go into the app.

Any particular live tiles you miss?

None in particular, just the asthetic of it...

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Launcher 10 is your friend if you want the Windows Phone UI back. It isn't just the live tiles, it's the beautifully compact design as well that I really needed to get back.

...which is why this is nice to have. Just downloaded it and it looks nice enough to make me feel nostalgic.

I miss my iPhone 4 I had before Windows Phone, mostly how it "just worked" and the quality of apps on iOS, but as this is my first proper Android phone, I'm really liking it so far.

Edit: If anyone else is looking to upgrade and is with Verizon, this is the deal that helped me choose the Pixel XL. Even though this is Best Buy, Verizon stores should be running the same promotion: https://m.gsmarena.com/deal_pixel_2_xl_for_verizon_is_300_the_pixel_2_is_150_off-news-32040.php

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 4, 2018

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I've been clinging to Microsoft Band 2 for this long and Android 9 finally broke the phone app. Oh well, still got my desktop!

Does anyone else still use one and does the app work on iOS?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

I've been clinging to Microsoft Band 2 for this long and Android 9 finally broke the phone app. Oh well, still got my desktop!

Does anyone else still use one and does the app work on iOS?

I love the way Band works with Windows Phone, but it was lacking for me on Android, so I didn't bother to find a new one when mine broke. If you don't have an ios device, it's probably not worth getting for just the band. And maybe MS will update the app for Android 9? Probably not though.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Groove is totally hosed on my phone now. Does anyone know of an android app that plays music off onedrive? Kinda like Harmony music on WP.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

No, in the end I downloaded the Google music manager on my PC, linked my music collection there and waited for it to upload everything, and just use the regular Play Music app for playback. Works just fine, once all of your music has uploaded.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Bye bye 950, hello Note 9.

Couldn't resist the $500 trade in for an old Samsung (S7 bought off Swappa for $140, savvy shopper that I am, cha-ching) and free noise-cancelling AKGs. Didn't like it at first but I'm warming to Android thanks to Launcher 10.

It's too heavy and too big and I still hate Android, but battery life is almost 2 days and having apps available is nice.

I miss my 920, I just want a modern 920. Perfect plasticky and rugged and sexy.

Edit: number one thing I want is media controls when I hit volume button, not have to go into the lock screen or specific app or specific widget to do this poo poo.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mr Funkface posted:

Bye bye 950, hello Note 9.

Couldn't resist the $500 trade in for an old Samsung (S7 bought off Swappa for $140, savvy shopper that I am, cha-ching) and free noise-cancelling AKGs. Didn't like it at first but I'm warming to Android thanks to Launcher 10.

It's too heavy and too big and I still hate Android, but battery life is almost 2 days and having apps available is nice.

Edit: number one thing I want is media controls when I hit volume button, not have to go into the lock screen or specific app or specific widget to do this poo poo.

Any decent app playing media (YouTube, Play Music, Netflix, etc) will have controls in a persistent notification while stuff is playing. So pull down that notification shade and control from there.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

sourdough posted:

Any decent app playing media (YouTube, Play Music, Netflix, etc) will have controls in a persistent notification while stuff is playing. So pull down that notification shade and control from there.

Spotify and Google Podcast don't, and youtube doesn't run in the background =(

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mr Funkface posted:

Spotify and Google Podcast don't, and youtube doesn't run in the background =(

Here is what they should give you:

Virtually every app should do that, now even a Chrome tab playing something will give you that. If your Note isn't, maybe something weird in your settings? Make sure you give permissions to the apps when they ask, any legit app you should let do what it says it needs to do, as the Android permissions sound kinda sweeping but are just poorly named/described. Otherwise, can always ask in the Android thread.

And I forgot about YouTube, I think I get background play because I use Google Music.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
I'll dig deeper, maybe it's a Samsung thing? My notifications don't look like that. I'll shift this over to Android forum, as you were. L8rx WP.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Mr Funkface posted:

Holy poo poo is this the truth. The 920 was basically perfection.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

sourdough posted:

And I forgot about YouTube, I think I get background play because I use Google Music.

You background Youtube is only available to people who pay.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Stick100 posted:

You background Youtube is only available to people who pay.
You can force youtube links to open in Firefox for Android, which gives you ad blocking through uBlock Origin and background playback. But fullscreen video playback is a bit wonky, so it's not great.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

You can force youtube links to open in Firefox for Android, which gives you ad blocking through uBlock Origin and background playback. But fullscreen video playback is a bit wonky, so it's not great.

Thanks, didn't know that.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Probably very few people left from the old guard using Windows 10 Mobile, but Microsoft has confirmed the end of life support schedule for it:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/18/microsoft-windows-10-mobile-support-ending/

There are different end dates for different versions and different functions, but this is really the final nail in the coffin. Hard to believe the modern Windows Phone/Mobile thing is nearly 9 years old.

Out of interest, which platform has everyone jumped to, Android or iOS, and why?

I went to Android in mid-2014 after a 2.5 year stint on Windows Phone.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm on Android, and after a few performance blips with Oreo they have pretty much nailed it with Pie. It reminds me of how well my Lumia 950 used to run.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm on Android, and after a few performance blips with Oreo they have pretty much nailed it with Pie. It reminds me of how well my Lumia 950 used to run.

Which handset are you using? I've had few UX hiccups since 7.0 on my Pixel devices.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I figured this thread had hit the archives, or I would have searched my bookmarks to post this, haha.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I went over to Android with a Galaxy S8 Active last April. I had bought a iPhone SE along with a second SIM card via T-Mobile DIGITS for smartwatches the summer before to try it out. However, I was not a big fan of stock iOS and Pokemon GO breaking while the phone was jailbroken basically turned me off. Plus, I had a bunch of USB-C hardware through my Lumia 950 XL so I wasn't too cool on the prospect of having to switch over to Lightning.

As for my Android experience with Touchwiz Samsung Experience, I'm also not a big fan of it but at least I can customize it to my liking without having to jailbreak or root. My actual biggest beef with the phone right now is that it seems reluctant to switch from 4G to LTE when I come from a low or no signal area. I pretty much have to go into settings and switch the signal preferences between LTE to 2G and then back to LTE. Now I know it's an issue with my phone or at least the firmware because I have a Nokia 6.1 with the DIGITS SIM as a secondary and it switches to LTE automatically. That said, I'm mostly happy with my transition.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Bought a pixel 3 this past Black Friday to replace my Lumia 640.

While I immediately changed to Launcher 10, everything else is standard and I'm good with most of it. Night Sight and Portrait modes are almost worth the price of the phone to me. Launching apps with out timing out is still a thrill.

The only problem I have is notifications really suck compared to what Microsoft did. I find it way too easy to miss them with my phone on a stand next to my work laptop. Researching the problem, it sounds like pre-Pie there were some options, but that's now locked down. Any ideas?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Which handset are you using? I've had few UX hiccups since 7.0 on my Pixel devices.

Nokia 7.1. It is built solid and upgrading to Pie was like an immediate performance upgrade for me. It's nice that Nokia are back, and still good apparently.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Yeah, saw that story on Reddit and thought about posting it here. It's been a long time coming, even though using the Lumia Icon for a few years was a fun experiment...until I couldn't make calls half the time and apps would randomly stop working or my alarms wouldn't go off half the time.

Had an iPhone 4 before that and it was rock solid, but I decided to give Android an honest shot with my Pixel I got last summer and I love it so far. No complaints whatsoever. I have Launcher 10 if I get nostalgic.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Charles Martel posted:

Yeah, saw that story on Reddit and thought about posting it here. It's been a long time coming, even though using the Lumia Icon for a few years was a fun experiment...until I couldn't make calls half the time and apps would randomly stop working or my alarms wouldn't go off half the time.

Had an iPhone 4 before that and it was rock solid, but I decided to give Android an honest shot with my Pixel I got last summer and I love it so far. No complaints whatsoever. I have Launcher 10 if I get nostalgic.

I suppose the downside to a launcher of similar appearance to Window Phone is that Live Tiles are absent.

Nova Launcher looks nothing like WP but on the Android side it's hard to beat in terms of performance and customisations.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I am not amused that I will have to migrate to a non-windows device, having been using windows [mobile,phone] for ~15 years.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

I went from my Nokia 1520 to an iPhone 6s Plus when my Nokia started to go screwy. I loved the beauty and simplicity of the Windows Phone OS and anytime I touched an Android I had no idea what the gently caress was going on or how to get anywhere to get anything done. I have a great deal of disdain for the mobile ecosystem and I really don't want to devote any attention to configuring a dozen things to get it to an acceptable state or worrying about whether device XYZ would continue to receive updates, I want my phone to just work without me having to constantly gently caress with it. I get that out of my system already with my computers.

I miss the larger screen and the pretty background I found of Neptune with the transparent tiles I was able to resize and arrange to my every whim, but that's about it. The iPhone is nifty but the multiple pages of apps thing pisses me off so much that I OCD'd until I got every single thing moved onto the first page arranged in a dozen different folders. SO UGLY.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Abandoned my Lumia 1520 for a Pixel 2 XL when it was released. I was with Windows Phone since 2010 at first for the UI then for the camera. When I finally accepted the death of Windows Phone I had to go with the best camera so here I am. The 1520 still exists as a small tablet in my household.

I remember buying the 1520 unlocked thinking I wouldn't pay that much for a phone again then I ended up paying double for the Pixel thinking the same. I really do hope to ride this one until it is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I suppose the downside to a launcher of similar appearance to Window Phone is that Live Tiles are absent.

Squarehome 3 has some live tile like features, it'll display calendar appointments and notifications on the tile. Between that and widgets, I don't find that I really miss any live tile features.