Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Their reporting is ok. Their forums though, let's just say they that by the sound of things they are F5ing every news source even remotely related to WP8.1 whilst waiting for this developer preview to come out!

Personally I think I'll wait until tomorrow when they have finished single handedly destroying Microsoft's servers or something.

Edit: Also, my habit of starting new pages just isn't stopping any time soon. :iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Darth TNT posted:

Maybe I have low standards, but I find their reporting to generally by pretty fair. They complain when they should complain. The main difference between them and a "real" news site s that they pick up even the most insignificant bit of news/rumor and after complaining they tend to put a more positive spin on thing.

They're okay. I was referring more to the community there. The kind of people who respond to comments they agree with by saying "+920/1020/[some other Nokia model number]".

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
8.1 developer preview is now live, my 920 just started updating.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

FYI ya'll. The developer preview is live as of 7:10 EST. http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-81-now-available

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Their reporting is ok. Their forums though, let's just say they that by the sound of things they are F5ing every news source even remotely related to WP8.1 whilst waiting for this developer preview to come out!

Personally I think I'll wait until tomorrow when they have finished single handedly destroying Microsoft's servers or something.

Edit: Also, my habit of starting new pages just isn't stopping any time soon. :iamafag:

Wheezle posted:

They're okay. I was referring more to the community there. The kind of people who respond to comments they agree with by saying "+920/1020/[some other Nokia model number]".

Ah, that explains that. I occasionally glance at the forums/comments and quickly back away. It seems to be inhabited by fanboys for the most part.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
My 920 just started updating.

To the pre-8.1 update. :smith:

Apparently my device needs an update to make the phone ready for the big update.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

On the gears screen now; it has a progress bar which has not moved at all for at least twenty minutes. This one's gonna take a while.

fake-edit: literally while i was typing this it filled up all the way in about five seconds :wtc:

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

loquacius posted:

On the gears screen now; it has a progress bar which has not moved at all for at least twenty minutes. This one's gonna take a while.

fake-edit: literally while i was typing this it filled up all the way in about five seconds :wtc:
All WP8 updates seemed to be like that, makes you wonder why they bothered with progress bar at all. Now I'm on second, actual 8.1 update and it's gears time again.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
Holy crap. The display on the 1520 is amazing now. They finally took advantage of the huge screen space and stopped stretching the text across it.

Edit: ^^^ hey, as long as they're thorough. Wasn't it the ios6 update that was tricking some phones and then went down? I'll take a five minute longer wait over a super asspain.

MobMentality fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 14, 2014

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Stubb Dogg posted:

All WP8 updates seemed to be like that, makes you wonder why they bothered with progress bar at all. Now I'm on second, actual 8.1 update and it's gears time again.

It's an ode to a previous era.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Being able to shove more tiles on my 920 screen is amazing. Also, when you are moving the tiles around all the tiles go slightly transparent so you can see your background.

Another thing I noticed is they haven't completely taken voice commands off, you just access them by pressing/holding the search button rather than the Windows button.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Being able to shove more tiles on my 920 screen is amazing. Also, when you are moving the tiles around all the tiles go slightly transparent so you can see your background.

I turned it on for a minute, but I can't use it. It's way too low resolution to be useful, and looks really ugly to me. But that's why it's an option. :)

I'm so happy it's finally out! Now I can debug my apps on an actual device rather than the emulator. I can also get my Anime mascots as wallpaper on every device I own :3:

I did have to move my live tiles around though to make it look okay though, but the scrolling background does look quite nice.

My only major complaint is being forced to switch to English to use Cortana. My usual workflow is debugging the English version in the emulator and the Japanese version on my phone. But because I want to use Cortana and test against it, I need to switch it around. At least I can keep the region settings, so my apps are still sorted correctly. Most people are not going to have this issue though.

Also, try as I might to get it to play "Ahh Ahh, Seishun No Hibi" by Yuzu, it just won't do it ;). Cortana did play "4Rest" when I asked, but also responded "Okay, Now playing 4-R-E-S-T". I think Siri got it right when I tried there, I'll have to check later.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This update is kinda weird for me guys

Like, it stayed on gears for a while and then restarted, and seemed to be mostly on WP8.1 and functional, but there were a couple issues (for example my WiFi wouldn't work and was giving me an "attention required" message but tapping it in the Settings screen did nothing) so I tried restarting it again, and now it's giving me the "Migrating your data!" screen and taking its sweet time. I'm pretty sure my data was already there before. :raise:

From what I've seen the new features are pretty sweet, though -- I've only had the chance to use the notification center and the shape-drawing keyboard, but those work pretty well.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Individual volume levels for ringers/notifications and media, at long last!

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?
So after the 8.1 update my AT&T 1020 now has Data Sense. Which is great.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

cstine posted:

Whoa added bonus :dance: No more lovely AT&T bloatware

Bloody Typical
Oct 27, 2005

Hey, keep the noise down Jerk, this is a residential area.

loquacius posted:

This update is kinda weird for me guys

Like, it stayed on gears for a while and then restarted, and seemed to be mostly on WP8.1 and functional, but there were a couple issues (for example my WiFi wouldn't work and was giving me an "attention required" message but tapping it in the Settings screen did nothing) so I tried restarting it again, and now it's giving me the "Migrating your data!" screen and taking its sweet time. I'm pretty sure my data was already there before. :raise:

From what I've seen the new features are pretty sweet, though -- I've only had the chance to use the notification center and the shape-drawing keyboard, but those work pretty well.

Mine did the something like that, I knew something was up when I couldn't select a picture background and on my photos tile it had c:\program files\something under each photo.

Gave it a reboot, then the data migration screen popped up and once that finished it rebooted again. All good so far after all the apps finished installing, I did notice the battery dropped alot and it got really hot during the install but all good now.

I do like the extra row of tiles on the 8x, gives the phone a new fresh look :)

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Typical GBS posted:

I did notice the battery dropped alot and it got really hot during the install but all good now.

Mine did the same thing. After leaving it on the charger all morning it was still draining faster than it was charging. A restart fixed it right up, but I've got to go through and look at all the new background tasks, cause my estimated battery life is at a fraction of what it was before. There's a few things like Wi-fi sharing that don't interest me at all I was able to shut down and it's helped a lot.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there anyway of setting a phonetic name for a contact? Also the screen still activates when you use Cortana through headphones. That sucks.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 14, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

cstine posted:

On past updates, have things like this gone away once you get the actual carrier update for firmwares and such?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I read everywhere that Xbox Music became more terrible?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Combat Pretzel posted:

I was just about to post this. Holy poo poo it is. It's slow and the list view will randomly stop showing names of artists for a few seconds on load. It's painful right now, but at least it does not seem to break music playback into a separate instance like the old one did.

Also can anyone connect to the app store? Because it's failing for me.

EDIT: Never mind, after I restarted the phone it loaded. :confused:

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 14, 2014

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Just launched Music for the first time.

"Updating collection... 10 songs updated." Changes to 20 after a couple seconds. Guys, I have 20 gigs of mp3s. This is gonna take a while.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

If you change your region to play with Cortana it seems to bugger up the store access. Hopefully just a bug!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hopefully there is a team chained to their desks working on this, because yeah, the beta app on 8.0 was bad enough for me to go back to the built in one, and this is not an option anymore.

EDIT:

The new podcasts app does appear to be pretty nice though, so hopefully it works!

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 14, 2014

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Maneki Neko posted:

On past updates, have things like this gone away once you get the actual carrier update for firmwares and such?

It was never there on any update (even the developer preview 8.0 release 3 one) so I have no way of answering that.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah, confirmed that even after the initial loading of my several thousand mp3s finally finished, the Artists list still goes blank and needs to stop for loading after any amount of scrolling. How is it that even with every other improvement they manage to mess up music and sync more and more every time :psyduck:

e: Shuffle All does work properly now (finally!!!) and I guess I'll be barking orders to Cortana more often than picking off the list now that it's an option, but it's still kind of basic functionality.

e2: Uhhhhhhhh it lost all my pictures. They're still visible on OneDrive, so they're not gone forever, but they sure don't seem to be present on my phone right now and I don't see an option to mass-download them.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 14, 2014

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Has anyone with a Lumia 521 or 925 with wifi calling on T-Mobile updated yet? I'm a little apprehensive about updating if it might break Wifi calling/texting.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hmm. I have a Unbranded HTC 8X and no Cortana. :(

I don't have a Sim (Sprint) so I wonder if it being on no carrier at all is what's causing it to not have Cortana enabled.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Once I figured out what I have to do to register my device, I've got it going and it's almost done migrating data at this point, HTC 8XT. I will say this phone ships with a "Make More Space" app, since it seems to have about 1.2GB of free space for your photos and stuff. Once you get below 500MB, which is really easy, I just get spammed with notifications from this thing that I'm low on space. Waiting to see if 8.1 is going to put the squeeze on this thing worse.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Loving the 8.1 update so far. Seems to run a bit smoother now too. Although the 8gb storage on my HTC 8x definitely feels more restricted now with only some 3 GB free or so. Might have to pick up a new 730 or similar when they come out so I can put more than 10 songs and a game on the phone.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I removed my synced gmail account (using the old method) to try out the legit method now. Seems alright!

Also, I thought they were removing facebook integration? I still have my facebook account attached / all of them appearing in people (though it also suggests I install the facebook app). And I can't figure out what this icon is to the right of "LTE" in the upper left hand corner

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 14, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The lovely music experience isn't helping me justifying a switch to WP. I guess I won't be an early adopter of a Lumia 930 after all, because I don't want to rely just on promises that it'll get fixed in time.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Also, I thought they were removing facebook integration? I still have my facebook account attached / all of them appearing in people (though it also suggests I install the facebook app). And I can't figure out what this icon is to the right of "LTE" in the upper left hand corner

Does it look like a little newspaper or a page with writing on it? If so, that's an icon to let you know you've got an unread text/email OR it means you've got an unread notification in the notification center. I haven't quite figured it out yet.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Guess I should have expected when I didn't hear about improvements in this area, but sweet jesus, they managed to make the built-in music app even worse in some aspects. It's less important now due to warmer weather at the moment, but one of the best features of the original app was swipe-to-move to next track on the large album art pic, which was invaluable when wearing gloves with the screen sensitivity set high. Hitting the small forward/backward controls were hit or miss with winter gloves on, so the swipe motion was great.

Now that's gone, and even selecting the track is now a tiny icon instead of just tapping the song title. Playlist creation/editing is marginally improved in that you can now remove songs from a playlist, but the process of creating one is still a laughably byzantine affair on the device. Why when playing a album can't I just tap & hold on a song and select "Add to playlist", and choose amongst existing playlists to add to or create a new one with that selection as a starter?

Instead, you have two icons - a checklist icon which shows a checkbox beside each track. You would think then you would be able to check off certain tracks and select to add to a playlist, but nope - you only have the option to delete the track. So hit the back button to get back to the song list without checkboxes, and there's a disk icon to save - which creates a playlist of all the tracks. You can remove tracks from this playlist, but there's no way to just add individual songs while creating it - you have to add all from the view your playing and remove afterwards.

So if you then switch to another album/artist and follow the same procedure and hit the save icon - as before, you're only given the option to create a new playlist, you can't add to an existing one. If you want to add to existing playlist you just created from the album view, you have to go back to teh main music hub and select Playlists, then hit the + icon...and you're dumped into an individual song listing of your entire library. You can't sort this view by album/artist/date, only track title. That's the only way you can add tracks to an existing playlist.

What.
The.
gently caress.

I really don't understand why MS finds this so difficult. The Android Google Music app and iOS iTunes still just kick the poo poo out of this in interface and capability.

Well...I like the notification center at least. Cortana is relatively speedy and has decent speech recognition, but of course I have to set my region to US and due to not being Canadian-native supported at the moment much of what I ask for it just dumps me to Bing search results, the 3 times I've tested with searching for various stores/banks have been pretty innacurate (Eg: "What's the nearest Subway Station" shows me one miles away when I'm a 5 minute walk from my local, asking "What's the nearest Subway" shows me a Subway franchise location again miles away when there are 3 within a 15 min walk, etc). It will improve and just setting alarms/reminders is handy, but can't really use it at the moment until I don't have to change the region.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 14, 2014

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Naffer posted:

Has anyone with a Lumia 521 or 925 with wifi calling on T-Mobile updated yet? I'm a little apprehensive about updating if it might break Wifi calling/texting.

The red wifi tile is still there after I updated my 925 to 8.1.

I don't know what to do with all this space after enabling extras tiles.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Dr Tran posted:

I don't know what to do with all this space after enabling extras tiles.

More tiles. Never stop adding tiles.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm trying to get Cortana to actually find me restaurant recommendations. All the natural-language queries I could think of from seeing people (in commercials) talk to Siri, like "I want pizza" or "Show me some mexican food" or "Cortana, find me Thai food" or "Where can I get pizza around here?" just takes me directly to a Bing search for that phrase, which is about as useful as you'd expect. Am I doing this wrong or is that just what it's supposed to do in that scenario?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

loquacius posted:

I'm trying to get Cortana to actually find me restaurant recommendations. All the natural-language queries I could think of from seeing people (in commercials) talk to Siri, like "I want pizza" or "Show me some mexican food" or "Cortana, find me Thai food" or "Where can I get pizza around here?" just takes me directly to a Bing search for that phrase, which is about as useful as you'd expect. Am I doing this wrong or is that just what it's supposed to do in that scenario?

So it's the same as before but with new paint...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dr Tran posted:

So it's the same as before but with new paint...

No, definitely not. It has reminders, both time-based and context-based, and it has built-in speech-activated music playback, and those are the two Siri features I'd call worthwhile, so it's still a huge upgrade. I just can't figure out how to get it to show me tomato soup like Zoie Dechinale did in that one commercial.

(it would help me prevent hotspacho)

e: If you say any of those phrases to Google Now, does it just find you your pizza places or does it plug "I want pizza" into Google?