Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Also, whilst the stock Podcast app is alright it doesn't have all the podcasts that I like so I'll stick with i-Podcasts.

If the podcast isn't showing up in search, I think you can just enter the feed URL into the 'add podcast' text box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
It kinda sucks you have to have location on to use Cortana for anything other than searching. You don't need to know where I am to remind me to call my Mom! :argh:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea my Unbranded 8X will not get Cortana. Under Language the Phone Language:Enabled is stuck under English (UK) and I cannot remove it even with US English above it. :argh:

However my sisters 8X worked perfectly but it was near 11PM last night and I needed sleep.

I also realllly wish Microsoft would just Glance left, then right, then just put WP7's Zune Music back into WP and call it an upgrade.

Hell the Original Zune's style and layout was near perfect, and the WP7 version worked drat good and still works fine even after the transition. Why the hell did any code have to change since then?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

I also realllly wish Microsoft would just Glance left, then right, then just put WP7's Zune Music back into WP and call it an upgrade.

This +10000

Deciding to spend the rest of my lunch break investigating alternative music players for local playback because I gotta figure out SOMEthing.

The app "Music Player" by Studio 8 appears to be functional-- every time you switch to a new view ("artist album" or "artists" or "songs") it takes a few seconds to load, and it has to do this every time you launch the app, but it doesn't take too long and it doesn't crash and it scrolls as fast as you want it to, none of which I can say for the current iteration of XBox Music. Its interface isn't as well designed, though, and it doesn't have a good shuffle-all mode apparently, but Cortana can handle that easily enough. It also has a karaoke mode???

"Music Player PRO" appears to be utter trash and I don't understand how it got its votes, and "Music+" doesn't seem to work with local playback. Still looking for more.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Trip report:
After adding my 7000+ mp3s, it went through and cataloged the songs first time through and appears to be working somewhat normally now. When I hit "artists" it takes maybe 3-4 seconds to populate the list which is lame, but hardly horrible. I think the reason I'm having less issues is possibly that my 7000+ files are mostly short reference audio files tagged under only a couple artists rather than traditional albums though.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Trip report:
After adding my 7000+ mp3s, it went through and cataloged the songs first time through and appears to be working somewhat normally now. When I hit "artists" it takes maybe 3-4 seconds to populate the list which is lame, but hardly horrible. I think the reason I'm having less issues is possibly that my 7000+ files are mostly short reference audio files tagged under only a couple artists rather than traditional albums though.

That explains how you're fitting so many mp3s on a WP device. I have a little over half that many files and am constantly bumping up against my 920's storage-space cap.

e: upon further investigation it appears to be just my "Artists" list that is broken in XBox music; my "albums" pivot is mostly fine and the "songs" one has to load if I scroll too fast but isn't so bad. The "Artists" pivot is a different story altogether.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 15, 2014

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have had some nasty problems with my 8XT freezing up and rebooting, or the wifi turning off and then not working, since upgrade. Wifi just shows off and when you push the off/on slider it says that it can't do that right now. This, unfortunately, reminds me of my Android phone enough to be worried - perhaps it's a firmware thing, and the official push would fix it?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Speaking of Start Screen Backgrounds, I've been enjoying one I generated using PolyScreen.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Shrimpy posted:

Has anyone noticed that the vibrations for e-mail have changed? It used to be a distinct vibration for texts and a distinct one for e-mail, but now it always seems to be the text vibration.

It makes me think I'm far more popular with real people than I actually am :(

As an update, if I add a silent alert to it, it turns it into the vibration pattern that used to belong to third party apps like Facebook or Twitter. It's something though.

General E
Aug 25, 2003

How do I get apps to show up in the Action Center settings, so I can set whether I get toasts, sounds, etc? I have many more apps that give me toasts than are showing up -- is this a thing the app has to be written to support, so not a lot is there yet, or should anything currently using toasts show up?

EDIT - With the Me Tile no longer giving me notifications, I can't get Twitter to show up in the Action Center, which is silly. I just had people @-mention me and send me DMs, and I set the WP8 Twitter app to notify me for everything, and I'm getting nothing. No toasts, no option to show anything in the Action Center, etc.

General E fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 15, 2014

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yea my Unbranded 8X will not get Cortana. Under Language the Phone Language:Enabled is stuck under English (UK) and I cannot remove it even with US English above it. :argh:

However my sisters 8X worked perfectly but it was near 11PM last night and I needed sleep.

You and many others.

:toot: Xbox Music first-outing trip report :toot:

- Temp plunged to -2c today from a high of +20c two days ago. So back to gloves weather, and as expected - tap-tap-tap - gently caress - fourth tap, able to move to the next track. Before - one glove thumb swipe.
- Opening up the Xbox music: ~10 sec pause. Select to view Artists...pause..pause..5 seconds to show letters. Few seconds later, artists names start populating, and always lag when scrolling.
- Start playing an album. Randomly get a loud static scratch when moving to the next track a few times over the course of ~20 songs.

Then the kicker. As others have had, I struggled with the duplicate/triplicate/quadrupled song bug due to the incredible fragility of the music DB on SD cards (...I guess?), and that DB never being fully deleted if you format the SD card from the phone which I did 5+ times to try and solve it. I was finally able to stop it from occurring by wiping the SD card on my PC to ensure it was completely empty, then had the Nokia Black update applied which supposedly fixed the bug, and subsequently re-loaded all my music for the 6 time, and for the past few months all was good.

Guess what? It's back. Songs are starting to be duplicated. When I heard that track repeated for the first time I was about to chuck the phone at a wall.

So, guess I'll try the format/reload "trick" again. For the 7th time in a year.

(And yes, I've checked the SD card and used it on a MotoX without issue, there is not an issue with it hardware-wise).

quote:

Hell the Original Zune's style and layout was near perfect, and the WP7 version worked drat good and still works fine even after the transition. Why the hell did any code have to change since then?
There have been many "WTF?!" decisions at MS in the past 3 years with software design, and it seems they're slowly on the path to correct these. Killing the Zune player instead of just re-branding it with Xbox was one of these :psyduck: moments (along with not having any reliable sync solution when WP8 was introduced), but frankly I'd be surprised if they did that now. They seem to really be hell-bent on the Xbox music app being identical to the web interface and separate apps for the functionality that Zune provided in one. We'll likely see better mouse control with the W8 Music app and it will eventually be able to run in a window, but I think that will be it.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

The Music app has been a huge downgrade even from the earlier Windows Phone 8 version. The most annoying thing for me is that if I have a SmartDJ mix playing over the lock screen, when I hit next, the "What's Playing" display disappears before it actually puts on the track it's skipping to.

Also, has anyone had any luck with Cortana picking up flight information out of e-mail? I just confirmed some Delta flights today and I have no idea if Cortana registered them or not (and what it would look like if it had).

e: At least WPCentral says a new app is coming http://www.wpcentral.com/xbox-music-awful-windows-phone-81-update-near

Shrimpy fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 15, 2014

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I used to use high-contrast mode for this really neat minimalistic colour scheme - no colours, just black boxes with white borders everywhere. With the update, though, it makes IE look awful and changes its colour scheme to something that looks like YOSPOS. Also, put me in the "don't like the third column" camp. I'm hoping I get used to it and I'm messing about with the tiles constantly to try and make it work, but I don't use my phone for much outside of email and web browsing so my start page only had nine tiles.

Those are my two main irritations I guess, thanks for listening guys :3:

I agree with most people on the other stuff. Dislike the constant status bar at the top, dig the new calendar, and so on.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Shrimpy posted:

Also, has anyone had any luck with Cortana picking up flight information out of e-mail? I just confirmed some Delta flights today and I have no idea if Cortana registered them or not (and what it would look like if it had).

Yeah, in my experience there'll be text about the flight info at the bottom of the Cortana screen which you can scroll up and tell her to track the flights. Not sure yet how to get her to track flights I don't have emails of.

quote:

e: At least WPCentral says a new app is coming http://www.wpcentral.com/xbox-music-awful-windows-phone-81-update-near

I saw this on my commute home and was gonna post it as soon as I got back, but you beat me to it. Apparently the reason the experience has been split up into several apps is so each of them can update independently on their own schedule, not tied at all to the OS updates. Also apparently this is just the lovely beta from last year, not updated at all, and preview-for-developers people just have to wait for the official launch.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Is any phone that wasn't already on three columns of tiles forced onto three columns with the update? I am sticking to the two myself, don't really see the need for more.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Is any phone that wasn't already on three columns of tiles forced onto three columns with the update? I am sticking to the two myself, don't really see the need for more.

Nope. I ended up going back to 2 just because 3 looked a bit too small (imho) on my 920.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

PlaneGuy posted:

Yeah xbox music for windows phone is almost as bad as xbox music for windows 8.

I'm not liking removing old stuff in favour of the new. I know you guys are jizzing all over the notification center, but they also removed the notifications on the me tile, so my workflow is gone. Also great WP features that are dead: multi-service posts, facebook chat in messaging, and apparently moving the cursor around in ie11 what the hell?

At least the live tile on windows 8 tells you the artist, track name, and I think the song time.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
You can't browse for new podcasts in the Podcast app. That's dumb.

I understand separating the various core experiences out so they can be updated more frequently than every 18-24 months, but if breaking them up means it takes 6 months to bring them back up to feature parity with the original experience then.... what's the point?

Also, was there supposed to be a built-in app to sync with the Windows 8 reading app?

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 15, 2014

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Tivac posted:

Speaking of Start Screen Backgrounds, I've been enjoying one I generated using PolyScreen.

That does work well, thanks the link.

I will now proceed to "Draw awesome image with it !"

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
While I certainly see the issues people are having with the music app, but humorously enough it fixes the two issues that have driven me nuts so it's almost an improvement. The first was that there was no way to search your music and the second was that multi-disc albums didn't sort correctly.

I did find a podcast that doesn't work even when I try to manually add the URL to the app. It works fine in Zune and iTunes so I'm thinking it's a bug on the app side, rather than the XML. Xylo, is there a place so submit these issues?
http://www.podcastone.com/podcast?categoryID2=398

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OldPueblo posted:

Rather than drop some cash on a high end device, if you want to just try it out pick up a 520/521 for peanuts and dip your toe in the water. It gives you the full software/UI experience, you're only missing "some" performance benefits and hardware features (camera/NFC/hires/etc). If you decide you like it then it will tide you over till the device you want becomes available. Personally I think the 920/925/928/1020 are still great devices for what should be a decent lower price now. Don't burn any upgrades, get them second hand if you want something better than a 520/521. There is good new hardware, but some of them dropped some cool things or aren't available on all carriers. I'm personally waiting for what comes after the 930 which was JUST announced. My 1020 is doing just fine.

Thoughts on the 625? I'm not burning any upgrades, definitely all cash-in-hand. I'm not opposed to shelling out $200 or so. The 520/521 looks allright but I was hoping for something with a tad larger screen.

Sorry if this is a dumb line of questioning. Part of the reason I want to switch to WP is that I want to work on an app to interface with an in-house app we use, so I'm trying to balance price vs performance, etc. Honestly all I use my iPhone for these days is literally phone calls, email, twitter, and maybe some sudoku on the subway so I'm not terribly concerned about readjusting to WP as long as it can provide those basic functions :) .. Other than that, it'll be mostly just used for me to dev on.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
If you're willing to spend that much, I know the 925 has been on sale before for $215 or so.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's possible. I'm in Canada so unless you mean eBay I'm not sure where I'd find it for that, but I'll keep an eye out. I also have a Samsung Galaxy S3 that I'd be trading in if I went through Telus, which has the 625 for $200 - $70 rebate. Still weighing my options but I'm definitely considering the 625 unless you guys think it's a dud.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

625 is fine, but really big (4.7 inches although in fairness I think anything over 4.5 is big :colbert:) and you're coming from an iPhone it turns out I'm illiterate. (The 620 is even smaller than the 520) Since you're willing to spend up to that much, the 820/822 might be up your alley and you can experience wireless charging. It is kind of old but Windows Phone runs well on low-end devices.

At any rate, here's Nokia's list of Windows Phones.

edit: oh you're in Canada; I don't know what province you're in but Telus' website has the 625 in Ontaria for $0 on a 2-year term and $200 outright
double edit: in my defense it's been a long day :cry:

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Any good weather apps that will work with the new 8.1 backgrounds? Weatherflow doesn't seem to yet. :(

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

CubanMissile posted:

Any good weather apps that will work with the new 8.1 backgrounds? Weatherflow doesn't seem to yet. :(

Blue Skies

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

cstine posted:

Blue Skies

My new favorite for sure. Love that hot hot forecast.io data.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

CubanMissile posted:

Same, the HTC one doesnt update now and displays the wrong time and weather

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

cstine posted:

Blue Skies

Cool, thanks.

But for whatever reason the live tile gives me garbled text on the second page when it flips over.

Edit: Looks like the text fixed itself after a few hours, probably after the first refresh.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 16, 2014

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
Everyone is saying the podcast app is good. What???

It doesn't loving resume! Every time I leave a podcast, it resets its place which is ridiculous. I also don't see 1.25x like the guy mentioned before; just 1.5 and 2.0 (which is ridiculous why is that even an option)

Is mine broken?

That, Xbox Music, and the Games throwing up all over my app list are driving me insane. Everything else is great!

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Rent posted:

Everyone is saying the podcast app is good. What???

It doesn't loving resume! Every time I leave a podcast, it resets its place which is ridiculous. I also don't see 1.25x like the guy mentioned before; just 1.5 and 2.0 (which is ridiculous why is that even an option)

Is mine broken?

That, Xbox Music, and the Games throwing up all over my app list are driving me insane. Everything else is great!

Fwiw, the podcast app holds its place for me... how did you get podcasts into it?

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

loquacius posted:

Yeah, in my experience there'll be text about the flight info at the bottom of the Cortana screen which you can scroll up and tell her to track the flights. Not sure yet how to get her to track flights I don't have emails of.

Yeah, it's set to track the flights, I just don't see any evidence of it actually being done. Of course, this might be because I don't know what it would look like if it were done.

loquacius posted:

I saw this on my commute home and was gonna post it as soon as I got back, but you beat me to it. Apparently the reason the experience has been split up into several apps is so each of them can update independently on their own schedule, not tied at all to the OS updates. Also apparently this is just the lovely beta from last year, not updated at all, and preview-for-developers people just have to wait for the official launch.

Yeah, all in all as excited as I was to get this on the phone and running, I have to pause every so often and remember this is still an unfinished preview in many ways.

That said, they still haven't fixed the Reply-To issue with the mail client which has been around since Windows Phone 7.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
The Glance screen on my 925 is upside down now.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
If I read it correctly here the me tile doesn't give updates anymore?
Does it even have any use left?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

A lot of minor roadmap disappointments in this patch. Everything feels a bit more polished, so I can't imagine going without it, but I do hope that the integrated feel of the original OS can be added in piece by piece :(

General E
Aug 25, 2003

Darth TNT posted:

If I read it correctly here the me tile doesn't give updates anymore?
Does it even have any use left?

Nope! They also removed the ability to post one update to multiple social networks.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

General E posted:

Nope! They also removed the ability to post one update to multiple social networks.

To be fair, I don't use the me tile all that much. My friends and family have their own tiles, so I wasn't dependant on it for updates. Any posts I make were usually pictures or images which I make from the photohub. :shrug: Links I find and share are sometimes shared from the website itself.
As long as we can remove the Me tile from the frontpage I'm not sure if I will miss it.

General E
Aug 25, 2003

Darth TNT posted:

To be fair, I don't use the me tile all that much.

I used it to occasionally post the same update to FB and Twitter simultaneously ... otherwise, I'm okay with the Action Center instead of the Me Tile giving me my social notifications if it would work. So far, FB is inconsistent (but it mostly works) and I can't get the Twitter app to notify me in the Action Center at all.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Is there any way to change what news sources are used by Cortana? Because I don't want to see Fox News stories about Benghazi in my feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Has anyone else had their outlook email stop syncing since the update? I keep getting varying error messages every time I try to sync.