Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Strabo4 posted:

I went from my Nokia 1520 to an iPhone 6s Plus when my Nokia started to go screwy. I loved the beauty and simplicity of the Windows Phone OS and anytime I touched an Android I had no idea what the gently caress was going on or how to get anywhere to get anything done. I have a great deal of disdain for the mobile ecosystem and I really don't want to devote any attention to configuring a dozen things to get it to an acceptable state or worrying about whether device XYZ would continue to receive updates, I want my phone to just work without me having to constantly gently caress with it. I get that out of my system already with my computers.

I miss the larger screen and the pretty background I found of Neptune with the transparent tiles I was able to resize and arrange to my every whim, but that's about it. The iPhone is nifty but the multiple pages of apps thing pisses me off so much that I OCD'd until I got every single thing moved onto the first page arranged in a dozen different folders. SO UGLY.

Hello soulmate. :)
This is almost exactly my story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I'm using a note 9. I really miss WM, but once they killed Groove, it was hard to stay. I had a Zune Pass since 2008, so that was really a big deal for me. I had used an iPhone briefly and wasn't a fan, but I really don't see anything special with Android and I'm not a big fan of Google, so I might switch to iPhone once my Note stops getting updates or dies on me. There's a lot of things I like about the hardware, and I'm trying to find a nice launcher to use. Samsung kills the extra touches, like the swipe from the side to access edge screen menus or swipe up to access Samsung Pay. If they did that for the Focus, I'd still probably be using WP7. I'm a fan of Microsoft's hardware, and I actually like Windows 10 now, so I might give the rumored Surface phone a go if they ever release it. Given the lack of apps in the Windows Store to this day, I probably won't though. Getting my first Android phone and seeing all the apps out there was eye-opening. I don't even use many apps, but having my bank's app is probably going to be a necessity from now on, and I like the idea of being able to just get an app without some weird workaround.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I have an iPhone now because my wife likes them and I just take her old one when she upgrades. So I'm rocking a 6 now and I'll have a 7 next time she gets the itch. I kind of miss my WP because nothing quite matches the aesthetic, but on the other hand it's nice to have apps that work and are occasionally updated.

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch
I'm still stubbornly using a 950 despite Spotify barely functioning anymore. I have been deliberating over whether dealing with iOS or Android would suck less for so long that I have lost all objectivity for either of them and have no will to make a choice.

he;lp

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Went to a Pixel XL 2 from a Lumia 950 about a year and a half ago, due to battery issues. I'm fine with Android and it's very nice having actual apps, but god I miss the keyboard.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ergot posted:

I'm still stubbornly using a 950 despite Spotify barely functioning anymore. I have been deliberating over whether dealing with iOS or Android would suck less for so long that I have lost all objectivity for either of them and have no will to make a choice.

he;lp

Both are fine, what is important to you/what do you do on the phone, we can help.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I used Launcher 10 for a while, but after a bit I switched to Microsoft's android launcher, which is basically the stock launcher with integration for their services rather than Google, and I haven't looked back. I'm so used to just swiping up and typing the first two letters of the app I want that having a screen full of icons is redundant.

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch

Stick100 posted:

Both are fine, what is important to you/what do you do on the phone, we can help.

I'm pretty sure I will wind up going with the Nokia PureView that is supposed to be coming out soon. I care a lot about having a good camera on my phone for no real reason, the MS services I care about will almost certainly be better on Android than iOS, and I imagine with enough noodling I can develop a UX that works for me.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

ergot posted:

I'm pretty sure I will wind up going with the Nokia PureView that is supposed to be coming out soon. I care a lot about having a good camera on my phone for no real reason, the MS services I care about will almost certainly be better on Android than iOS, and I imagine with enough noodling I can develop a UX that works for me.

Camera-wise, I don't think the Nokia Android phones would be highly recommended. I won't poo poo up the thread with suggestions but the Android Thread would be good to check out.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

It’s obviously going to be personal taste but one of the things that led me from WinPho to iOS, in the order of blackberry -> winmo -> Nextel flip phones -> android -> win -> iOS was that the android era of that requires tucking around and playing with stupid settings to get things to behave.

Maybe that’s cause it could be tweaked rather than it needing to but I don’t care if it is my desire to play with poo poo or not - I don’t want to do it .

iOS is what it is but it is also perfectly reasonable IMO , holds value , works every time for me etc .

If you want to dive in by playing with launchers and things then yeah get android

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch

Partycat posted:

Maybe that’s cause it could be tweaked rather than it needing to but I don’t care if it is my desire to play with poo poo or not - I don’t want to do it .

iOS is what it is but it is also perfectly reasonable IMO , holds value , works every time for me etc .

If you want to dive in by playing with launchers and things then yeah get android

I really don't. Woke up pretty sure my next phone will be an iPhone, regardless of all of the ways that ios is what it is purely for this. One of the reasons I like W10 is that I never had to really gently caress with anything beyond seasonally rearranging my homescreen.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ergot posted:

I really don't. Woke up pretty sure my next phone will be an iPhone, regardless of all of the ways that ios is what it is purely for this. One of the reasons I like W10 is that I never had to really gently caress with anything beyond seasonally rearranging my homescreen.

Fwiw Android at this point is like that too, totally fine out of the box, rearrange your icons and go. Main differences between Android and iOS are now that Android you can change more if you want to (not that you have to, and you can customize more on iOS than you used to be able to), while iOS is light-years ahead in software support (assume your Android won't get an update unless it's a current year flagship, while iPhones that are like 5 years old are still getting updated). If you're jumping in fresh, iOS is arguably a better place to start, if only because the experience will be much more uniformly good regardless of the model you choose, while you can easily buy an awful Android phone that seems good on paper.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sourdough posted:

Fwiw Android at this point is like that too, totally fine out of the box, rearrange your icons and go.

On a totally side note, it's funny how people get stuck on initial impressions of "new" stuff. I have a friend, granted he's a little older (late 50s) that does a lot of video editing. He's been apple exclusive his whole career but he's realized it makes no sense, price wise, to be in the high end video space and get Apple products. In the process of switching over he was super worried about Windows because he literally thought you had to actually program just to use it. That everything was run through a command line and totally text based (except the programs). That took a bit for me to get over!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BonoMan posted:

On a totally side note, it's funny how people get stuck on initial impressions of "new" stuff. I have a friend, granted he's a little older (late 50s) that does a lot of video editing. He's been apple exclusive his whole career but he's realized it makes no sense, price wise, to be in the high end video space and get Apple products. In the process of switching over he was super worried about Windows because he literally thought you had to actually program just to use it. That everything was run through a command line and totally text based (except the programs). That took a bit for me to get over!

Honestly that would own. Scrap the Windows GUI and just boot to a PowerShell prompt.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

A windows update a couple months back put my hp elite x3 into a reboot loop that only stopped / booted as I reluctantly installed the device recovery tool on my computer. Everything was ok, it was just annoying.

In January, the update resulted in a black screen and it wouldn't turn on when I woke up in the morning. A soft reset got it to respond and boot, only to find half of the apps were broken and the only solution was to uninstall and reinstall. The process broke existing login info and thus made them completely useless cause you can't authenticate so many windows phone apps anymore.

:tizzy:

I am sad about having no choice but to switch to android sooner rather than later, especially after using windows (mobile|phone) since ~2005. I would like to hold out until the end, in october, but I don't know if I can.

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 8, 2019

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
When I abandoned WP I got a used Google Nexus (don't remember which). The phone was garbage. It broke after two months and the UX was awful. I remember Hangouts was a thing at the time, and it seemed like Android was confused on even what their stock text messaging app should be. Used an iPhone ever since and it's been fine.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How does this HTC 8X from 2012 or so still hold a charge and work fine when my Lumia 950 couldn't after a year?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

You’re charging it wrong

My 950XL still charges fine (it is plugged in indefinitely)

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

The 8x also is restricted to 8, and thus didn't get the battery draining unoptimized 10 updates.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I recall the 950 having some weird battery issues related to its design, I had to readjust the connecting pins on the battery and use some paper to fill the space between the battery and casing before it would consistently stay on.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

EvilMoFo posted:

The 8x also is restricted to 8, and thus didn't get the battery draining unoptimized 10 updates.

You can download the Windows 10 Upgrade Advisor to see if the 8X is eligible for upgrade:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13778/windows-10-mobile-upgrade-advisor-app

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You can download the Windows 10 Upgrade Advisor to see if the 8X is eligible for upgrade:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13778/windows-10-mobile-upgrade-advisor-app
I was simply going by the memory of this news post; I haven't turned on my 8x for years.

edit: Oh, hey, look at that; my hp x3 phone didn't reboot correctly after the windows update again. Here's hoping it doesn't gently caress up the few apps that are left.

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 14, 2019

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1106937626387513344?s=21

Metrotube was so much better than YouTube's app.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Is anyone still using their windows phone. I just busted the poo poo out of my current phone and I miss my old Nokia experience. I see that I can get an unboxed HtC M8 One for like $100.

I use my phone for browsing, Netflix, podcasts and audiobooks so it's not like I need a cutting edge phone.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Is anyone still using their windows phone. I just busted the poo poo out of my current phone and I miss my old Nokia experience. I see that I can get an unboxed HtC M8 One for like $100.

I use my phone for browsing, Netflix, podcasts and audiobooks so it's not like I need a cutting edge phone.

I don't use WP anymore, but I'm not sure Netflix works still, few websites are setup well for Mobile Edge, I don't know if there is a good podcast app, and if you use an app for Audiobooks it's probably not updated.

I don't know you might be 4/4 or 0/4.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I tried my old 1520 (which I "upgraded" to windows 10 mobile) - ran like garbage unfortunately. For $100 bucks you would be better off getting a Moto x4 Android or something. Windows 8 may be better, but not sure.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I had a Lumia Icon and it did everything I wanted it to. I'm not super worried about functionality, more the end of security updates, though Security through Obscurity seems to also be a thing. Who the gently caress would even bother making windows phone malware?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

There's a push for windows on arm, so malware isn't going to be too far fetched, also it's possible that leet haxors are sitting on 0days waiting for the day after that last update in October. WP8 would be absolutely horrible at this point, so many apps had 8 support cut.

While I still have the sim in my windows phone, I got an android device to start the transition. I have a page of complaints on the process / issues with the haphazard platform; a few items are MS specific, most of their apps are pretty lovely on android as it turns out.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

EvilMoFo posted:

There's a push for windows on arm, so malware isn't going to be too far fetched, also it's possible that leet haxors are sitting on 0days waiting for the day after that last update in October. WP8 would be absolutely horrible at this point, so many apps had 8 support cut.

While I still have the sim in my windows phone, I got an android device to start the transition. I have a page of complaints on the process / issues with the haphazard platform; a few items are MS specific, most of their apps are pretty lovely on android as it turns out.

Good news, Google's apps and services tend to be pretty good! until they abandon them after a couple years

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Yeah, no poo poo. My limited time using android has made it very clear that microsoft is far better at design, too bad they are apparently incapable of marketing it.

My biggest complaint is that google wants to learn from you / your actions; you can't tell it anything to work from, it has to be learned. It means their lovely assistant is useless (without giving google permission to loving everything) and cortana is poorly implemented in comparison to windows phone.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I still haven't figured out how to get Android to read my text messages out loud, like on Windows Phone. I even have Cortana installed. I also had to disable Microphone permission to Google Assistant, despite saying I don't want it to respond to "OK Google" it would not stop listening for that.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

EvilMoFo posted:

Yeah, no poo poo. My limited time using android has made it very clear that microsoft is far better at design, too bad they are apparently incapable of marketing it.

My biggest complaint is that google wants to learn from you / your actions; you can't tell it anything to work from, it has to be learned. It means their lovely assistant is useless (without giving google permission to loving everything) and cortana is poorly implemented in comparison to windows phone.

I mean, yeah you need to give Google permissions to everything if you want it to learn stuff about you. If you're worried about privacy, you need to use an iPhone. You should probably assume Google is tracking most everything it can whether you give it permission to use what it learns to do convenient things for you or not.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

sourdough posted:

I mean, yeah you need to give Google permissions to everything if you want it to learn stuff about you. If you're worried about privacy, you need to use an iPhone. You should probably assume Google is tracking most everything it can whether you give it permission to use what it learns to do convenient things for you or not.
I realize that google is tracking everything absolutely possible, with or without the permissions set; it's one of the reasons I have avoided this bullshit as long as I could.

It will be a cold day in hell for me to use apple products.

In the end, I am fine about not having an assistant; the only thing I ever ask Cortana about is the weather anyhow.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Yeah the dream is dead all hail the new old android.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Anybody want a Lumia Continuum display dock?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
If you're talking about the one that came with the 950, it's still good. It's just a USB-C dock, and works with other USB-C devices. I still have mine, and use it with my laptop instead of buying another, bigger dock.

Sure, it only provides enough power to charge my Surface Go, but having a screen and a couple USB devices (keyboard, mouse, headset) on one cable is awfully nice.

It's not locked to Windows Phone in any way, and I'm still using the dock. I can't say the same for the phone :(

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh cool, I never even opened the box. It says Gen 3.1 ver 2 or whatever.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Cool, it worked with my Nokia 9, although it outputted 16 bit color or something. I'll fiddle with it later.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Huh, I've got one of those, I should experiment then. Lord knows it hasn't been hooked up since I tried Continuum and went "well, that's clearly not ready for primetime".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Charles posted:

Cool, it worked with my Nokia 9, although it outputted 16 bit color or something. I'll fiddle with it later.

I got accepted to the Xbox Xcloud beta. Well, I had gotten sick of my Nokia not working so I bought an iPhone. I still have the Nokia so I hooked it up to the TV with the continuum dock and it's basically a tiny Xbox streaming device. Awesome.