Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Jewmanji posted:

Xylo, per your comment about a lot of the core features being compartmentalized into separate apps for faster updates- does this apply to Cortana too? I'm assuming the updates to the Cortana app will be somewhat regular- how much of logic of that system is built into the OS, and how much is inside of the app? Put in simpler terms, as I get used to her (that feels weird to say), I begin to wonder about what the next logical features for "her" will be, and whether they can be tacked on as simple app updates, or if they will require major OS revisions. For instance, right now any directions she provides are done through Here Drive- theoretically how simple is it to then tack on regular Here Maps directions for public transit/walking?

Like Siri/Google Now, the majority of Cortana's logic happens on MS's servers. Cortana's functionality is significantly reduced without an active data connection. The majority of updates will happen on the backend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
After a good first day 8.1 preview has been giving me hell the last 24 hours on my 920. Yesterday the phone appeared to freeze during the night and my alarm didn't go off in the morning. Then last night I felt a hot feeling in my pocket and found the phone hot to the touch and unresponsive. I hard rebooted (using the power and volume down buttons), but it wasn't very pleasant and I was left with like 5% battery.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
At least you don't have to log in to all your apps that require a login after every time you turn the phone off (hey, I don't like being disturbed at night)! Aside from that and the fact that apps don't seem to be staying on in the background, things are ok on my 920.

Also, I assume that Nokia will eventually update Glance because it isn't showing the notification icons anymore for me, only the time and the battery icon if it is charging.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

MyFaceBeHi posted:

At least you don't have to log in to all your apps that require a login after every time you turn the phone off (hey, I don't like being disturbed at night)! Aside from that and the fact that apps don't seem to be staying on in the background, things are ok on my 920.

Also, I assume that Nokia will eventually update Glance because it isn't showing the notification icons anymore for me, only the time and the battery icon if it is charging.

Launch the Glance options again. There was an update that should re-enable them again, but you have to enter the options again for it to actually update it.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

MyFaceBeHi posted:

(hey, I don't like being disturbed at night)!

So go into the settings and turn on and configure quiet hours?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

cstine posted:

Only if he's in the US or set his phone region as such, as quiet hours depends on Cortana for some idiotic reason.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
I like the auto-updating store apps, but I wish the action center would tell you which ones were updated. I had it update Skype with no notice. Went to check why someone hadn't gotten back to me and found it had closed the app to update.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Only if he's in the US or set his phone region as such, as quiet hours depends on Cortana for some idiotic reason.

What this guy said. I'm in the UK so I don't get all the cool Cortana features. I did briefly change my location/language settings the other day though just to try it out but I think I'll wait the however many months it will be until it comes over here.

Also, the apps that updated themselves show up in my action centre just fine. I don't think I told it to say anything in the action centre but that seemed to be the default for me.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Captain Capacitor posted:

I like the auto-updating store apps, but I wish the action center would tell you which ones were updated. I had it update Skype with no notice. Went to check why someone hadn't gotten back to me and found it had closed the app to update.

Buried under a menu. Hit the ... on the bottom right, then swipe to the right for history.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

cstine posted:

Or just turn the ringer/volume off? My phone sits 12" from my head every night and with the volume muted, it doesn't disturb me at all. If it lighting up is a big deal, just set it face down.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

GET THOSE XBOX MUSIC COMPLAINTS READY PEOPLE!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...6571501b?page=1

http://xboxmusic.uservoice.com/forums/209733-xbox-music-suggestion-box/category/67365-windows-phone

:clint:

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 18, 2014

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
Has anyone else had problems with Nokia MixRadio not playing since updating to 8.1? It just won't load music for me now.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Here's something that kind of annoys me in 8.1: that IE11 has to "reload" each tab when you exit the application and return to it. It's almost like it's pulling it from the server again, with the progress bar going at the bottom, but it's always the cached version from when I last looked at it. I don't know what it's doing exactly, but it's annoying because you can't instantly go back to the page you were reading, you have to wait for it to load from somewhere. (While I'm at it, I'm still having trouble adjusting to the new button arrangement in IE11. I assume it's better in some way.)

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 18, 2014

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Ev posted:

Has anyone else had problems with Nokia MixRadio not playing since updating to 8.1? It just won't load music for me now.

Yep same here. That's what I wanted to switch to when I got fed up with Xbox music, but refuses to load my library.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

MyFaceBeHi posted:

What this guy said. I'm in the UK so I don't get all the cool Cortana features. I did briefly change my location/language settings the other day though just to try it out but I think I'll wait the however many months it will be until it comes over here.

Also, the apps that updated themselves show up in my action centre just fine. I don't think I told it to say anything in the action centre but that seemed to be the default for me.

Yeah it will let you know that some apps updated, and you can go look at app history (or click the notification) to see what updated. I think there might be some lag time though, the last time I saw the notification they had been updated an hour ago. Side note, it telling you when exactly they updated is pretty nice.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Playing around with the emulator. At least in the past, as in WP7.1, that local hub (or whatever) had at least POI information of my neighboring countries Germany and France. But now there's not even any data for these countries anymore. What the gently caress Bing Maps?!

--edit: I guess its broken in the Maps app, Cortana actually delivers results, even for Belgium.
--edit2: Unless I tap on the minimap, when it forwards the request to Maps and delivers results from France and Germany, but not Belgium. Christ, what fine integration of your services, Microsoft.

--edit3: The new calendar needs a list view. I think the old one actually had one.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 18, 2014

rckgrdn
Apr 26, 2002

So that's how it's made...

Ev posted:

When you say it won't load music, do you get a black screen when you go into the my music section? There was a huge performance regression in the part of 8.1 that powers the artist list, where it took 10x longer than in 8.0. Depending on how much music you have, and in particular how many artists, it could take a very long time to load.

Our 4.4 release, which is in the final stages of release prep, should fix this. But if it's something else you guys are getting, let me know!

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

thestoreroom posted:

When you say it won't load music, do you get a black screen when you go into the my music section? There was a huge performance regression in the part of 8.1 that powers the artist list, where it took 10x longer than in 8.0. Depending on how much music you have, and in particular how many artists, it could take a very long time to load.

Our 4.4 release, which is in the final stages of release prep, should fix this. But if it's something else you guys are getting, let me know!
Yeah that's it, I just gave up after staring at a black screen for a minute. Thanks for the update.

Horky
Oct 27, 2004

I could swear that before updating to 8.1 I could use the camera button to wake up the phone and go straight to the camera. Am I remembering this wrong?

And I asked Cortana to remind me daily to give my dog a pill. It has it on the tile and the calendar but won't actually give me the reminder unless I restart the phone daily. That can't be right.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Horky posted:

And I asked Cortana to remind me daily to give my dog a pill. It has it on the tile and the calendar but won't actually give me the reminder unless I restart the phone daily. That can't be right.

That's a feature to remind you to restart the phone daily

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Horky posted:

I could swear that before updating to 8.1 I could use the camera button to wake up the phone and go straight to the camera. Am I remembering this wrong?

No 3rd party alarm apps going?

Horky
Oct 27, 2004

No actual Alarm apps other than the default which I haven't used. I do have daily push nags from Toshl and Food Diary.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
Can anyone comment on the picture quality of the 1520? My wife is worried it won't take a good photo and is convincing her self she needs the 1020.

I am against it because of the hardware loss going down to a 1020.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Can anyone comment on the picture quality of the 1520? My wife is worried it won't take a good photo and is convincing her self she needs the 1020.

I am against it because of the hardware loss going down to a 1020.

Yeah, I'd be reluctant to pick up the 1020 if the 1520 isn't too big. Here's some comparisons, the 1520 still bumps out 19mp images:

http://www.wpcentral.com/cameras-nokia-lumia-1520-vs-lumia-1020

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Horky posted:

Mine still does that just fine, it is a setting though, perhaps it has gotten flipped off for some reason?

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Is cortana providing traffic updates for anyone? I have this feature turned on as far as I can tell but have never seen this update happen. Just headlines, weather and tech news in Cortana's feed.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Why does the games hub now have entries for games I don't have saying 'try now' :psyduck: .

Tgent fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 19, 2014

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Horky posted:

Mine still works, but there's a setting you have to toggle. Mainly I'm noticing that if I open the Nokia Camera app this way, it takes a lot longer to open than before. I'll hold the button, see the lock-screen snap open, and then I just sit at a black screen for 4-5 seconds (with a brief pop-up of "Resuming...") before the display appears, which defeats the purpose of being able to open the camera while the phone is locked.

Edit: I just tried the same thing with the Microsoft Camera app, and it's slightly faster (3 seconds at black screen), but still pretty terrible compared to 8.0.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Uh, is there any way to tell the app store to stop keeping trying to download Nokia Cinemagraph and Nokia Panorama? I deleted them for a reason, please stop trying to reinstall yourself :mad:

Horky
Oct 27, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Mine still does that just fine, it is a setting though, perhaps it has gotten flipped off for some reason?

LentThem posted:

Mine still works, but there's a setting you have to toggle. Mainly I'm noticing that if I open the Nokia Camera app this way, it takes a lot longer to open than before. I'll hold the button, see the lock-screen snap open, and then I just sit at a black screen for 4-5 seconds (with a brief pop-up of "Resuming...") before the display appears, which defeats the purpose of being able to open the camera while the phone is locked.

Edit: I just tried the same thing with the Microsoft Camera app, and it's slightly faster (3 seconds at black screen), but still pretty terrible compared to 8.0.

Ah yeah, I found it under Settings>Apps>photos+camera. I unchecked it and rechecked it and it works now. Thanks y'all.

It was already set to open the Microsoft Camera by default. I believe that was changed.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone know of a task list app that shows them on a Live tile and has a corresponding W8 app?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Is cortana providing traffic updates for anyone? I have this feature turned on as far as I can tell but have never seen this update happen. Just headlines, weather and tech news in Cortana's feed.

Did Cortana ever ask you where you worked? I work from home, so this isn't super useful for me, but after setting my home address as a favorite it asked me where I worked next time I launched it.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone know of a task list app that shows them on a Live tile and has a corresponding W8 app?

I really wish One Note had an option for this. It makes perfect sense.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

thestoreroom posted:

I didn't explain that well. It was actually just not streaming mixes I'd already created, but when I bothered to make a new mix it streamed just fine.

Can't speak to playing songs stored on the phone since I only use it for streaming.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Ev posted:

I didn't explain that well. It was actually just not streaming mixes I'd already created, but when I bothered to make a new mix it streamed just fine.

Can't speak to playing songs stored on the phone since I only use it for streaming.

It wouldn't stream mixes that I created either but I found out it was because it logged me out of my account. Try logging in again and it should be fine.

Also, I am finding that it is very slow getting my music, resulting in a blank screen for a couple of minutes.

Has anyone noticed that their battery life has greatly reduced in 8.1? Mine doesn't seem to last any more than 6 hours before dipping below 20% from a full charge, when it would last up to 9 before. I'm on a 920 btw, which also gets very warm even when simply browsing Facebook.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Has anyone noticed that their battery life has greatly reduced in 8.1? Mine doesn't seem to last any more than 6 hours before dipping below 20% from a full charge, when it would last up to 9 before. I'm on a 920 btw, which also gets very warm even when simply browsing Facebook.

Yes and no. I'm on a 920 too, and in a way it makes sense because it's still a preview and not really optimized. I used to finish a day with about 50% left, and I find when I'm not using the phone it's business as usual with battery use, but when I am using it to browse the web or use Facebook, it drains at a faster rate. The first few days it was hard to tell because I was constantly messing around with the settings and layout of my tiles, but when I ran errands a couple of days ago my usage was normal.

I leave my phone on its charger every night and wake up in the morning, and usually browse Imgur and some other sites before getting ready for work. I used to leave the house with about 85% left and I find myself leaving with something closer to 70%. I'm assuming this will get better once the "real" update is out and they've optimized it for each device.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

thestoreroom posted:

When you say it won't load music, do you get a black screen when you go into the my music section?

Oh wow, I have that exact problem.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

MyFaceBeHi posted:

It wouldn't stream mixes that I created either but I found out it was because it logged me out of my account. Try logging in again and it should be fine.

Also, I am finding that it is very slow getting my music, resulting in a blank screen for a couple of minutes.

I'm using a 920 on AT&T and have found my battery life has decreased dramatically. A large part of that has to do with needing to leave location on all the time now for Cortana, whereas I used to have location on very infrequently. As well, I think I'm constantly in somewhat low reception, which makes pinging for the location all the more arduous. Also, since I updated the outgoing voice quality has basically nerfed. No one can understand me on my phone anymore. Kinda sucks.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Jewmanji posted:

I'm using a 920 on AT&T and have found my battery life has decreased dramatically. A large part of that has to do with needing to leave location on all the time now for Cortana, whereas I used to have location on very infrequently. As well, I think I'm constantly in somewhat low reception, which makes pinging for the location all the more arduous. Also, since I updated the outgoing voice quality has basically nerfed. No one can understand me on my phone anymore. Kinda sucks.

Come to think of it, I've had that last problem too. While I don't know if it's affected my call quality, I know my signal strengths haven't been as strong as they used to - my once full-bars at home have been nearly halved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rckgrdn
Apr 26, 2002

So that's how it's made...

Ev posted:

If you guys who had this problem want to help out, if you PM me your IMEI (dial *#06# to get it) then I can look in the logs and see what caused your issue when I get back in the office. Sounds like it might be related to the lost login...

LentThem posted:

Oh wow, I have that exact problem.
Hold tight, a fix is on its way :)