Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I get regular notifications in the drag-down like "4 apps have updated", etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
There was an issue with bitlocker bricking devices for the few that actually received the cyan update and were using bitlocker for corporate stuff. This is very likely the fix for that, it's also an assumption.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

Boo. Yeah, this is a 2013 with the MyFordTouch stuff, which is godawful. It took 2-3 Windows Phone 8.0 updates and 2-3 Sync updates to get stable, and then the 8.1 upgrade made it sad again.

This is probably already known but I'll toss it out again for others. I've noticed in some cars there's a waiting period between when Cortana starts and when it passes through to you via the head unit. For example on my car I have to wait a good two seconds to hear the beep that means "NOW say your poo poo". If I say it right away then it only catches half since it starts actually listening after I've already started talking. Number two, try toggling the bluetooth advanced option where it connects in another totally mysterious way not explained.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Have you guys tried your phones in other cars by chance? I had a 2012 Focus and I loved MyFord Touch... when it actually worked. It broke at least once a day and was the ultimate reason I traded the car in, since even after several updates it still poo poo the bed regularly with no positive updates in sight per the dealerships. On my next car though the same phone (Lumia 920) worked flawlessly every time with the stock head unit. So basically I'm wondering how much of your issues are MyFord Touch. The best word I could use to describe MFT was inconsistent. I've heard it got better a few months after I ditched it, but maybe not that much better?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

CubanMissile posted:

Just bought a new Ford with Microsoft Sync. I can receive texts over Bluetooth, I can respond to them, but I can't just outright send them. It says text messaging isn't supported on my phone (Lumia 925). Is this a Sync, WP 8.1, or Nokia issue?

Try the connect in another way option under bluetooth advanced. Also pause to listen for a beep when you try to do a voice command, it may not happen immediately though your phone looks like it's listening.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm like 500 posts behind on this thread so maybe its been covered before, but the last couple of times I've sync'd music to my 920 running the 8.1 preview it hasn't updated the music in the Xbox music app. I can't find a way to force it. I've tried everything I could think of without luck. I'm using the Windows Phone for Desktop app FWIW.

That app might be putting the music under the old music hub that's hidden maybe? What happens if you just drag a music file over via explorer while plugged into USB?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

I don't plan on rolling back to 8.0 to get Cyan because it's not even out yet for the 1020. And when it is it's not really game-changing things that'd make it worth me redoing my phone and then going without 8.1 till whenever it gets released. Just about the only Cyan feature I might like now is the Bluetooth LE being enabled so that I can sync with the new fitbit app, but I can wait on that. I'm just going to keep riding the DP until the bitlocker fix and we proceed forward.

To further clarify earlier questions, Cyan is the firmware/hardware update portion from Nokia and technically doesn't have anything to do with 8.1. They just usually release a big firmware update (amber, black, etc) at the same time and have some features that go hand in hand with the OS update. The Bluetooth LE is an example, they had to update the firmware to "unlock it" but the OS has to also be able to utilize it.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 30, 2014

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

I had heard about this but wasn't sure how it works. Looks like now you can engage Cortana from your car head unit directly by "calling her".

http://www.wpcentral.com/how-to-use-cortana-car-bluetooth

1.To get started, turn on Bluetooth on your Windows Phone. Go to settings -> Bluetooth -> On
2.Pair your car to your Windows Phone device via Bluetooth. There's no universal way of doing this, so you may have to check you car manual
3.Once connected, it appears Windows Phone adds Cortana to the phone book (If not, you can create a Cortana entry with the dummy phone number '555-555-9876')
4.Now all you have to do is tell your car to "Call Cortana" using the voice command button on the steering wheel. It may be different on your car. On the car I tested, I needed to add Cortana as a speed dial
5.Go ahead and ask Cortana for anything that you've normally asked her

Different head units act differently, YMMV. Before I always had to activate from the phone, but could still use my car's mic. Just never from the head unit button.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

That is alarming, I think I'll go back in time a year and warn myself! I don't know, is it still an issue?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

You know, I just bought my dad a windows phone, and today he emailed me a link to that article... I didn't bother to check the date. I should have known better.

My Dad called today and said his laptop crashed and he lost everything. Turns out he managed to somehow bungle his way to a full factory reset, the laptop is actually fine but goodbye data. Hooray for me setting him with crashplan a year ago.

Dads, not even once. All is forgiven.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

RasputinVarez posted:

On that, when i use the term "critical mass" i mean the snowballing effect.

Think of a strategy game, at the start you make barely enough money to survive, but as time goes on and you invest in infrastructure and economy, you have more money, it gets bigger and bigger faster and faster. the more fully featured apps windows phone has, the more people will use it. the more people use windows phone the more fully featured apps will be made for it. It's a cycle.

I actually wonder if the last piece of that puzzle was universal apps. Now companies may realize their apps will work not just on windows phone but also on desktops and windows tablets, so they have more motivation I'm guessing. It's that wider audience they've been waiting for.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

The only other thing is that it would be nice to have an option for white text on a black background; but that is cosmetic and far from essential.

That's actually a pretty big battery saver on amoled screens. Black means the pixel is completely turned off I believe.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

I find myself missing my Lumia 900 from time to time. How much stuff (app wise) still supports 7.X?

They just announced that skype will no longer work soon in 7.x and even Android 2.2. That's a "game changer" type of app if you use it.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

I just found a setting I've not seen before, has anyone messed with it? Is this like better recognition through headsets and car head units or to help filthy foreigners?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Chasiubao posted:

No I think it just allows you to invoke voice commands or Cortana without actually entering your PIN or whatever.

I guess I should have called out which actual setting I meant. The unchecked one.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Engadget is saying that ATT will be getting the W8 (that's what I'm calling it :colbert:), but didn't release any details as to when, which makes me think it's a timed exclusivity thing for Verizon like with the 1020 and AT&T.

edit: okay, now my post makes sense

The fact that this website already exists is at least heartening.

http://www.att.com/cellphones/htc/one-m8-windows.html

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

You can try the reading mode in IE11 once the page fully loads. It's also not optimal but works pretty well in general when the page doesn't reflow well or text is too small.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biSIO1w4aLE

I use the "Awful. beta" app, it works well enough for me. I too just got cyan on my 1020 with the DP, it found my fitbit and is syncing nicely now.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 28, 2014

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Guillermus posted:

Hey WP users, I've been an android user for the last four years and, while I plan on keep mainly using android, I'll be switching carriers soonish and I don't plan on upgrading my phone (currently a Galaxy S4 with a custom rom). I'm here because my carrier will offer me a few free phones (or extremely cheap) and the Lumia 925 (for 1 extra euro/month for 24, making it an hilarious 24€ total) is one of the options. I've googled information about it and seems like a decent device and I want to mess with WP 8.1.

Will I be able to remove carrier apps and other bloatware? Will the 925 give me a good impression about how windows phones are?

Nothing wrong with it per se, I'd just not burn an upgrade on a phone that came out that long ago when you can pick up a 520 for as low as $40 on sale pretty often. Let that be your test phone, then use the upgrade on any new device coming up. With that being said, I think the 925 is still a great device. Yes you can remove every app from the carrier or even MS unless it's a core app like Music or Photos, etc.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Pinging the MS dev goons, and I apologize to the rest of you for :words:. There's a pretty big bug in the Xbox Music app that I've noticed, unless only mine is broken or I completely misunderstand the subscription settings. Thanks to Data Sense I noticed that my data usage has creeped higher than usual over the last month or two. The most common way I play music is just to shuffle all the songs on the device and skip when I hit one I don't care for right then. Usually this is by launching the app and hitting shuffle, but I sometimes launch it via Cortana or let the car head unit do it. I noticed that a song played that I thought I had deleted from the device awhile back. So I checked the phone and it was still gone, then I checked the Now Playing list and sure enough not only were my local songs listed but so were the songs from my online pool of music (you can tell because they have a little radio signal next to the song title). Despite the fact that in settings I intentionally have "Show streaming music in my collection" turned off. To further prove that, when I look at the list of songs/artists in the app sure enough it only shows what's been downloaded. Nothing from the online pool. But wait it gets better! It only does it sometimes and I haven't been able to narrow down all the exact methods that trigger it. So far it seems that if I tell Cortana to "shuffle my music" it then plays my shuffled music plus the online music, once again ignoring the setting that has online turned off. So that's one way. I also suspect it happens when my car head unit initiates the shuffle (it starts with the first song alphabetically, then shuffles), but I haven't tested that yet.

tl;dr

Beware the evil shuffle feature or you may blow through data caps unintentionally.

:tipshat:

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

I'm assuming this was a phone that got upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1 without a hard reset? When I upgraded my Lumia 920 from 8.0 to 8.1 developer preview, I had a weird issue where Cortana would not shuffle my music at all, claiming that streaming music support had to be enabled in music app, regardless of whether or not it was actually enabled. I was guessing something settings wise got messed up during the upgrade process, and couldn't ever find a solution outside of a hard reset.

For what it's worth, my 635 doing a shuffle via Cortana with streaming music option disabled in Xbox music will only shuffle my local songs, not anything in my cloud collection/streaming music.

Now that backup/restore puts almost everything back I might give it a shot. The fact that its not been consistent could have something to do with a bad upgrade. I went 8 to DP to cyan.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Lumia 830 announcement looked good up until the SoC chosen, replacing a 920 I am somewhat unsure how this works out performance-wise? Anyone have any sort of reference point?

Better camera, slightly larger screen and smaller/lighter sounds good though, so that is the one sticking point for getting a replacement.

Yeah I thought the 830 looked like a great upgrade until I noticed the processor and then the fact that the new Cortana always listening thing requires a snapdragon 800. I mean it still looks like a great phone, but those are two things I'd like on an upgrade. Speed and every available software feature. The 920 has a dual 1.5Ghz snapdragon S4, and the 830 a quad 1.2Ghz snapdragon S400. Here's a handy reference that I assume is correct:

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/nokia-lumia-920-520-vs-nokia-lumia-830-1947-vs-nokia-lumia-930-1455-vs-nokia-lumia-635-1458

So I'm just gonna guess it's faster, however the 830 does have the same processor as the budget 635 and the 930 has a quad 2.2Ghz snapdragon 800. For kicks I dug up some synthetic benchmark that's cross platform (Basemark OS II), take the results with a grain of salt, etc. Sadly it had no info for a 635 or any phone with the same SOC as the 830. So I'm guessing it's just in-between these two:

Lumia 920

Lumia 1520

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 5, 2014

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Oh wow, Snapdragon 200 4 Gb internal and 512 ram, I'd really caution against this device. At least until some reviews show it's not as weak as it looks on paper.

A $129 Moto E may well blow this away (I know ewww Android).

It looks pretty decent compared to the Lumia low-ends. Flash, FFC, ambient light sensor, dual-SIM, etc.

http://www.wpcentral.com/blu-win-jr-unboxing-windows-phone (video review)
http://www.bluproducts.com/index.php/win-jr

It's one of those android manufacturers slapping 8.1 on their android hardware. And I don't think people buy on price points alone anymore, I think they choose their ecosystems and then see what they can afford. Jumping ecosystems based on price every upgrade cycle just seems like a big headache.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

God I love playing with the tiles. So many options for spatial ordering when you've got 3 different icon sizes and a scrolling one-page app screen.

And as for the low-end processor and RAM on the low-end WP devices, my 635 (Snapdragon 400, 512MB) is... not impressing me. I knew it was going to be worse than my iPhone 5, but I thought it would at least be better than my iPhone 4. Even though the 635's processor probably beats the A4 in benchmarks and has the same amount of RAM as the old iPhone, it's markedly slower in real life use.

Someone kind of challenged me when I noted before that the animation seemed a little choppy at times, so I've been watching for it and it definitely is there, especially when resuming an app or going back to the home screen. But what really bothers me is how it never seems to save the state of an app if I go out of it for more than a couple of minutes. Halfway through a podcast and I need to check my email and get the weather forecast? When I go back to podcasts, it has to re-initialize and my place won't be saved, so I have to use the tiny timeline to scrub back to (approximately) where I left off. In the middle of composing an email and I want to listen to a podcast for a while? When I get back to the email app, my draft is gone. It's like that with the browser, games, everything, it seems like. And apps just crash too, often enough for it to be annoying. I've also had two total lock-ups this week. Had to pull the battery both times to get the device to turn off; it wouldn't respond to the physical buttons at all.

The iPhone always kept my poo poo ready for me when I came back to it. I guess it's the OS software that makes the difference, though, because 512MB and a 1GHz single-core processor on the iPhone seemed to be just fine.

Otherwise, it's a really decent phone. But there are some definite drawbacks.

Out of curiosity, are you holding down the back arrow to switch back to apps? WP8.1 actually gives you different methods to multitask, including having multiple iterations of the same apps open simultaneously. Like two different emails, messages, etc. It's very handy in certain circumstances, like composing emails while referencing data in other emails.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 10, 2014

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Not to mention the fact that you can manipulate and add to the address book from a PC or tablet much easier than pecking on the phone. Including merging duplicates, etc.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

vigorous sodomy posted:

Wifi calling is an annoying and problematic piece of poo poo. How do I turn it off without turning off wifi all together?

My guess is check the settings section of the phone dial app.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Forgive me for asking this question, but I figured it would be answered better here than in the Android thread. My SIL has a 925 with a cracked screen (still useable) and she is considering trying Android again after not having used it since gingerbread. If she stayed with windows phone she is tempted to just pick up a budget phone like Lumia 520/Blu Win Jr type stuff. She just wants small/light form factor and is tired of shattering higher end phones with her petite butter fingers. What she/I am wondering is what would be the equivalent on the Android side, and when I say equivalent I mean like $100 or less but still runs fully updated OS (kitkat), no major compromises, etc. I wanted to ask here because I'm not sure the other thread would know about the value WP has in the sub $100 segment. So far it looks like a Moto E maybe, or a used Moto G? (AT&T)

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

For what it's worth I think she'll stick with windows phone, but I'm going to pick up a used Moto G for her to try out. I will post back with this scientific study in a few weeks.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Tanith posted:

So, I'm coming to the end of a two-year contract on a Lumia 900 in November, and switching from AT&T is not an option. I have no idea what to do with myself. I briefly wanted a 1520, but realized that I still talk on the phone in public and vetoed that idea.

If you really meant 920, then yeah I'm with you. If you actually meant 900 then I'd pick up a used 920/925/1020 and at least make the jump to WP8.1. The HTC One M8 seems to me the best on the near horizon, though I'd prefer another Nokia.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Tanith posted:

No, I'm still using WP7 :shobon:

Total no-brainer then, WP8.1 has lots of nice new things and you can get devices for pretty cheap new or used. That will give you a nice bump and hold you over till something amazing comes along. I'm seeing nice phones like the 925 for sale on craigslist for $150.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I'm having an issue since updating to 8.1 on my 920. I used to be able to connect to an Xfiniry hot spot to connect mt phone at work. On 8.0 I would be redirected to IE to login to my Xfinity account and then the internet would work.

Now, on 8.1 it says "attention required." I tap on it and it takes me to the connection info screen and only option is to tap Proxy.

I've tried long pressing and restarting the phone.

Anyone else get this?

I'd say mess with your Wi-Fi sense setting? Is it set to automatically log you in to hotspots with fake info?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

I had the same error on Xbox music, I think both video and music were updated yesterday so maybe that's why.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

I thought there was a way around it, but it takes time because you have to prove it's your account, etc. I'd call them up or try the option where it says you think someone took over your account maybe.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

My wife broke her fitbit flex and while at Target I happened to see a misfit shine on sale, so thought hey let's give it a whirl. Nope. It not only won't sync with three different windows phones, the app crashes while trying to do so repeatedly. Supposedly there's a firmware update that may fix it however you can't even get to the part where you can upgrade the firmware because the app is poorly designed. You can't get access to the tools menu unless you... sync it! Also it's new out of box and is telling me that it's already synced to someone's account, apparently that's an error you get pretty often across all devices because they are bad at coding I guess. It's too bad because there are lots of compelling reasons to like it over some others. My wife likes the look better, it lays more flush on the wrist, it can be worn on the wrist or clipped on clothes or hung via necklace. I think I'll give it another try when the cheaper plastic flash version launches later this month at $50, shown here by large head man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1dzFVP9HCs&t=102s

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 6, 2014

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

My 925 just can't deal with Bluetooth headphones. I'll turn on my headphones and it'll see the headphones and even let me increase/decrease the volume, which specifically says I'm adjusting my Bluetooth volume. But then when I actually start my music I'm entertaining everyone around me with my lovely music tastes.

I have to instead remove my headphones from the phone's pairing list and then pair them up again every time I want to listen to music wirelessly. My Android phone did 'ok' with these headphones, but it liked to skip. My old iPhone never had a problem.

I think this is going to drive me into a iPhone 6 more than anything else with WP. That and 240fps slow-mo.

When you see it connected you should see that it's connecting with voice AND music under the bluetooth device list, I'm guessing yours is only connecting voice. That could be a bad pairing or it could be those headphones support a different audio profile or something. Every bluetooth headset I've used has successfully connected both, is your headset possibly older/lovely?

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 6, 2014

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Not without glance or QI charging. :colbert:

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Doomsday Jesus posted:

So what is happening on the DP that someone with 8.1 is missing because I feel like I'm still in 2012.

Not much really, but there is a new folders option for the start screen as well as a new bluetooth ability to call cortana using your car head unit buttons, etc. Here is a random video I have not watched yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gph8wzFf35Y

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Odd thought, but have you tried the other SIM slot? Wonder if it's something crazy like different slots use different bands?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

My bad memory tells me the biggest issue with going from 7.5 to 8 was more chipset/driver related I thought. Anyway here's an update summary from what I've seen on the 830 which is coming to AT&T, and a potential "upgrade" for those with old faithful (920):

*Supposedly will come with QI charging, will have glance, etc. So functionally it doesn't lack anything.
*Performance seems to be roughly equivalent, wins and loses some contests. I'm going to completely guess that maybe this has to do with some apps not using all four cores or something, which means it may perform faster in the long run?
*Does have some upgrades like sensorcore, MicroSD, removable battery, better camera.
*It's bigger than the 920, but lighter and thinner as well. 4.5" -> 5" screen but same resolution.
*The only major strike for me would be it will not have the upcoming "Hey Cortana" passive listening feature.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-tU8v-HGjsCxkP0eKgLSwQ

Personally I'm going to ride my family 920/1020s into the ground I think, or just keep waiting to see what else comes. I'd like something faster but I'm not unhappy right now.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Ev posted:

Has anyone had problems with their phone not saving pictures you take? My 1520 seems to do this thing where it will look like it's taking a photo, then when I go to look at it it's just not there. It also, sometimes, takes a ridiculously long time to take a photo after I hit the button to do so and a lot of the time it just won't open the camera app again after that, I'll either have to close it and then re-open it. Anyone else have this kind of problem?

I'm on Cyan and the latest 8.1 DP update.

I've had it happen, it usually means for me the camera app hung. A reboot fixes it. If I take a picture and it takes forever to return for another picture, I always check to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Anonononomous posted:

Is there a way to sort music by what is on the device? Or to tell it to only stream on WiFi unless I specifically request an album?

The closest option is toggle off the connect to streaming music option, this will cut off all of the music you have stored in the cloud. I think the idea is that if you want to not stream then download the albums locally.