Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Lance Streetman posted:

Not true. Lord Bude exists.

you beat me to the punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Mine went down 50% in about 2 hours. I think part of that is I have 17GB of music on it and it was taking it's time re-indexing everything.

Gotta say the home screen is awfully pretty now with the backgrounds and the new columns. I think for the 5"+ 720/1080p devices you could actually fit another medium-sized row on there with how well it works on the 520's small screen and resolution. The app list icons and text are shrunken as well, glad to see MS is getting the point much like they are with Windows 8 that being so wedded to their Metro design language over the practicality of visible information without scrolling is just stupid design differentiation for the sake of it.

Like how the status bar is mostly persistent where it makes sense now. Apps can still push it out of the way if need be for their design, the problem with WP 8 is that if you needed to quickly check, you had to swap out of the app just to see your battery. Now if the app hides it, just swipe down to get the action centre.

Oh, and the Xbox Music tile now also no longer shows the album art of the music you're playing - probably only does it for streamed Xbox Live music I guess(?) - it's probably the app that has the least reason to have the extra-large tile. Just pave over the Xbox Music's office space already for fucks sake.

They either need to add a fourth column or change the large tile to be 3 medium tiles wide instead of two, otherwise there is no way to use large tiles whilst retaining a symmetrical layout.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I bought my wife a 520 after she broker her 900 and was a few months away from an upgrade. I was impressed by the phone.

She now has the 1020 and that camera is really impressive. I sure wish Microsoft would make an updated version of it.

And, in other news, I took the otterbox off my 920 because it needed cleaned and I had forgotten how nice the 920 design is. And it is a shame how much the built in screen protector of the otter box ruins the beauty of the display. I'm rolling case free for a few days now!

The 920 is an incredibly rugged phone - there are youtube videos of it surviving ridiculous punishment that would destroy any other smartphone. I can't imagine why someone would want to put it in a case. Every time I see a friend's tablet or phone and they've put one of those screen protection films over the screen it almost makes me want to gouge my eyes out it looks so awful.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Is there seriously no way to open my 920 up at work like a USB drive to transfer photos to OneDrive when using XP? The windows transfer app doesn't work on XP.

loving hell

What you are able to use at work is outside of your control, but at the end of the day it is entirely unreasonable to expect anything in this day and age to support Windows XP or to complain when it doesn't. Any company that does so is going above and beyond.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

HorseHeadBed posted:

Cool. Thanks! I just might have to buy that big yellow bastard.

If you don't need a phone right now, I would be waiting to see if a Lumia 1030 presents itself by the end of the year. Camera aside, the 1020 is a big step down from newer upcoming phones like the 930.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Venusy posted:

Cortana is apparently coming "soon" to UK phones. Maybe next month?

Also yes, sometimes my 820 takes a minute or two to recognize a charger.

That depends on where they learned how to use the word 'soon'. Blizzard and Valve for example have very interesting definitions of the word.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

My suspicion is that how hosed the Xbox Music app is depends on how much music you have and if you browse by album/genre/playlist or just mash shuffle all. It's never hung or crashed for me, but I have 40 songs at most and don't listen to much anyway when I do. Cold comfort to those with extensive music collections though. :(

The only third party apps that I've found that do music well are Nokia MixRadio (free but only for Nokia phones) and OneMusic, which is $2 but has a trial.

Pandora

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

RasputinVarez posted:

My main use of a smartphone is actually as a GPS tracker, using endomondo right now but my phone is poo poo so it keeps crashing. i've had exactly one 10km run where the results were all one recording.So i'm not hugely into phablets for that reason.

a 1020 is $450 in the magical land of Aus, I don't really use my phone enough to justify a $57 a month plan starting. Australian mobile data providers have started taking cues from the Americans and have increased the prices for less data.

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/mobiles-on-a-plan/nokia-lumia-1020/index.htm

If i got any of these it would be the medium plan, and i'm not really working much right now, it's really hard to get that first job out of uni in this country, so i'm stuck working a few hours a week at a super market because it's winter.

Remember that $57 dollars a month also includes the cost of the phone (and telstra has stopped offering the 920 and 925 as far as I can tell, you are getting a 1020 for that price) so when you look at that $57 a month, you are saving $450 that you would have spent on buying a phone outright. 450 divided by 24 is $18.75, so if you factor in not paying for the phone itself you are really spending $52 on that plan. The same amount of data on a byo plan costs $55.

Of course there is also prepaid but that is very expensive and I'm not sure if you get 4g.

Are you dead set on using Telstra? I can't blame you if you are, because nobody else can compete on reception or internet speeds, but if you are in an Optus 4g coverage area, have you considered exetel? They use the optus network and give you 4g access.

http://www.exetel.com.au/mobilephone/plans

Massively cheaper than Telsra and it's month to month so you aren't locked into anything. Most expensive plan they have is $40 a month which includes 3 gigs of data. (cf: cheapest telstra byo plan is $45 a month and you get 500mb of data)

For what it's worth I have a 920 and I like it alot, I actually prefer it to a 925 which is basically the same phone with a slightly different screen and a crappier body.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Factor Mystic posted:

I'm disappointed about how Microsoft implemented the back button. It's too unpredictable and punitive. Ideally tapping it should never take you out of an app, ever. If there are no pages on the navigation stack or you tap back from the first screen, it should transition to the task switcher as if you had pressed-and-held it.

That'd:
a) prevent you from accidentally backing out of an app when you didn't mean to, forcing you to find it again in the apps list ("what was it called? Music? Microsoft Music? Xbox Music? oh whatever forget it")

b) still allow you to kill the app if you want to, from the app card close button or swipe to close

c) increase discoverability of the app switcher.

And of course tapping the windows key from anywhere will still take you to start and the system can still suspend apps in the background as it does today.

Originally it was the only way you could properly kill an app, because there was no app card close button. We would always make sure to do it because you never knew when an app would decide to be a battery hog even when running in the background or supposedly suspended. Admittedly they should have thought of the current system sooner.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Attention Aus Goons: Lumia 930 is available from today to buy outright, Telstra, Optus and Vodaphone should have it to purchase on contract by the 15th.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Tgent posted:

So I posted a while ago in this thread about how my 3G suddenly stopped working on my Lumia 620. Or rather, it will connect for about 5 seconds and then disconnect and then my phone won't even receive calls/texts (no service at all) for hours at a time. The only way to resolve this is to force the phone to only use the 2G network, for which the data connection is really lovely (I can't even sync my emails a lot of the time) but at least the phone service works and remains connected.

Someone here suggested that I do a full reset of my phone, which I have now done and it hasn't made any difference. Does anyone have any insight on whether this is likely to be a sim card/network problem or a problem with my phone hardware? I'll try to borrow a friend's sim card to check this but figured I might as well ask again here as well. My (Australian) network uses the 900/2100Mhz bands for 3G if that makes any difference.

It's possible your phone is just hosed. Just go to your local telstra/optus/vodaphone store and ask for a new one (and don't take no for an answer, getting a new phone in this situation if you want one IS YOUR LEGAL RIGHT, and they are BREAKING THE LAW if they attempt to refuse.)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

Yeah, I'm changing the back function to rewind the song first, then go back. It's too annoying otherwise.

It really does stick out against the (not totally horrible) interface. So yeah, I do want to change it. As for the grenade; I like the idea of just riffing off the Xbox music logo with the Awful forums reader grenade in the middle. but i'm not sure. I want it to be linked to SA, but not look like an official SA sanctioned app. We already pushed the line with the forums app, but that is actually linked to SA being that it's a forums app. This is not, beyond the name of the other app.

I'll just do it for now, I'm sick of looking at the scallop.

pretty sure you need permission from Lowtax to use the grenade, as well.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'm disappointed that my carrier isn't going to be selling the 930 in green. It will go on sale in store on Tuesday, but they'll only have Orange/White?black.

I know I don't want black, but choosing between white and orange is going to be tough.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Just picked up my new Lumia 930, in white. So far so good.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

My thoughts so far using the 930.

I find I'm no longer using the smallest size of live tile; it's just too small. The larger screw and higher resolution means I still get heaps more tiles on the screen at once though. I can now see all my important information displaying tiles without scrolling down.

I like having data sense.

Phone looks and feels great. 4g seems to be faster - perhaps the 920 was being a bottleneck, or maybe Telstra just made some improvements in my area, but I'm getting download speeds of 120 megabits.

They've changed the colour of the cobalt accent colour - it's more purpley now. I don't know if this is a windows 8.1 change; or if this phone just displays colours differently.

The notification screen is useful for seeing the exact percentage of battery life remaining. Now I don't need to get an app just for that.

Picking the right background photo is hard. It needs to be dark, and not too busy otherwise the text on the transparent live tiles becomes too hard to read.

I love having a 1080p screen. I feel as though I finally no longer need to use the mobile version of websites - landscape orientation provides plenty of space now for the whole thing.

They've significantly reduced the volume of 'sound effects' for typing, plugging in your charger, etc. This is a godsend.

Phone speaker seems to be quieter compared to 920, I guess because they moved it to the back. It's not a big deal though.

The phone doesn't get as hot in use as the 920 did, and the battery doesn't rattle when you move the phone around. A+ on build quality.

I really wish Microsoft would figure out that Australians need a US keyboard layout but with UK spelling. At the moment I have to choose between having a UK keyboard, and correct spelling auto correction, or a more useful US keyboard that can't spell check properly.

For the time being I've switched to Drastic Action's Forums app. I like the live tile, and it seems to take advantage of the increased resolution, unlike bootleg robot's app. I'd prefer an option for white text on a black background though. I also like having an emoticon list.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 5, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

MyFaceBeHi posted:

I managed to get the new 8.1 update 1 developer preview thing on my 920 and it seems to be running really well at the moment. Cortana does seem a bit slow, though, but I'm not sure if that's because it's the UK beta version or if it's because my 920 is getting a bit slow. Also I wish they would hurry up and release Lumia Cyan over here on 920!

Also, regarding the 930, I thought they had problems with overheating on that phone. If those have been fixed than that's great and it means I might get one maybe.

I haven't exactly used it heavily yet but I notice no heat after charging (usb, I don't use wireless charging) and only a teeny little warmth when the phone has been in use for a while - much less than my old 920 which would get distinctly hot after half an hour of forum browsing.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I haven't seen this posted yet, it's quite alarming:

http://betanews.com/2013/08/07/microsoft-warns-windows-phone-users-not-to-use-wifi-wait-what/

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

OldPueblo posted:

That is alarming, I think I'll go back in time a year and warn myself! I don't know, is it still an issue?

You know, I just bought my dad a windows phone, and today he emailed me a link to that article... I didn't bother to check the date. I should have known better.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

Finally got around to updating to GDR 8.1

Xbox Music does not totally black out when scrolling. It only took an OS release to fix it, but I'm glad it is :).

Drastic are you still developing your forums app? The other app has some issues now that I've moved to 8.1 on a Lumia 930 so I've been using yours, it's pretty great but there are a couple of niggling little things if you're still willing to work on it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Chasiubao posted:

What are the two forum apps? I use the Awful app right now but I'd love to compare them.

There's 'Awful. (beta)' and 'Awful Forums Reader'

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

It's 8.1 only, and I'm still working on it... I've just been slammed with work. Once I have more free time I'll get on it.

It's actually really good already; the primary issue that I have with it is that when I hit the quote button, make a post, and then submit the post, the thread jumps straight to my post. I know the regular forums to this, but in a web browser you can open the quote in a new tab; in an app I'd prefer to be returned to the post I was quoting, that way I can quote something to make a post, and then continue reading the thread from where I left off.

The only other thing is that it would be nice to have an option for white text on a black background; but that is cosmetic and far from essential.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

OldPueblo posted:

That's actually a pretty big battery saver on amoled screens. Black means the pixel is completely turned off I believe.

well that too. I hadn't even thought of that.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

JayKay posted:

I have a weird request. Whats the best/cheapest Windows Phone I can get that is compatible with a T-Mobile Mini-SIM? I realize that this will probably get me stuck on WP7ish but getting a smaller sim card/cutting down my current one is out of the question.

This is for a work related project/experiment.

Edit: It looks like I can pick up the Huawei Ascend W1 pretty cheap and it seems to be the only option running WP8.

The lumia 920 has a micro sim.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I have to say Telstra in Australia seems to be putting at least some effort into marketing the Lumia 930. I see billboards for it everywhere, and the phone is occupying the flagship location on its own dedicated display in the entrance of Telstra Stores, a spot previously occupied by the HTC M8.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

My iPhone was stolen today and it doesn't look like I'll be getting it back. I picked up a Nokia 635 to roll with until the iPhone 6 comes out. I don't know if maybe there's a specific thread's for WP apps, but I can't find it so I'll ask here: Is there a good solution for browsing the forums on this phone that I'm missing?

Right now I'm going between IE and the Awful app (the one with the :get out: frog icon), and they both seem to have pretty severe drawbacks. Text in IE gets too small to read in portrait mode, and Awful app has really janky scrolling, starts at the bottom of the page when you change pages, and doesn't remember your thread after switching back into it from a different app (although maybe that has more to do with the 635's aggressive process / memory management?)

Is the other app (the one with the grenade icon and the Japanese text; the only other SA app in the store as far as I can tell) any better? It says it will steal my password and autoban me if I log in with it...

Yes, the other app is much better, and it's the only other app. In particular it's the only one that works properly if your phone is on 8.1

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

So I noticed that Cortana now appears in the start menu, even if it's not in your region.

So what happens if you click on it?

First, it said I can't use this language. Also, the settings string is not translated but whatever.

After changing the voice language back to English, I get this.

So now the region and language are not supported. It's better than before, when Cortana was just hidden from view. I would still like Japanese voice commands to be fixed though.

On a happier note: Even though I hate that IE has to use webkit functions for mobile, sites I use now actually work better.

Oh, and I should have a new build of Awful Forums Reader up this weekend.

I may have mentioned this before but a key feature I'm keen to get for the forums reader is that when I submit a post, it should take me back to the post I was quoting, or the page I was on when I hit the post button, not directly to my submitted post.

I like the picture.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

I'm going to make it an option what happens when you post. I like it going to the last post, but I'll give you the choice on what happens.

Thanks!

It depends on context - often when you're making a post, you've read to the end of the thread anyhow, but sometimes you want to quote someone, but then continue reading. On a web browser you can open the quote on a new tab, so it isn't an issue but in an app you then need to go back to the post you were quoting to keep reading.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Yeah, really appreciate the app. In terms of formatting, it's more readable than the one for iPhone.

But I just want to make sure I'm not missing page selection and/or last page jump. Those are features that aren't implemented yet, right?

Also, can anyone else with a 635 confirm that the unquoted text in the body of a forums post is super-small in WP IE? Again, just want to make sure there isn't something I've overlooked.

And to add my two cents on the 635, I feel like I got a pretty drat good phone for the price. It feels very slow compared to my iPhone 5C, but all the features I have to have are there. In fact, I'm glad I picked up the 635 instead of a Moto G, because now that I've experienced the Snapdragon 400, I don't think I would have liked to have paid $80 more for a phone with roughly the same performance, even if it did have a higher resolution screen and other accoutrements. And even though the animations can get a bit choppy and applications that lose focus for a while often get reset, the overall design philosophy of the GUI is pleasant, and the OS is easy to use. Cortana works great, too. I can't call it up without going to the app (afaik), but it doesn't like to cut me off like Siri does so often. I was driving along today listening to a podcast, when I got a text message; Cortana read it out loud to me and let me dictate a response completely hands-free. That's a great feature.

Unquoted text is small in IE on any windows phone. It's been that way ever since the forums were updated a year or two ago to the current more modern look.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

The white background issue has already been fixed. You won't see it in the next build.

As for bookmarks: it did auto refresh before, but I took it out. I was playing around with how to handle it, since all of these Awful apps do it differently, and I wanted to see which one was best. I may just change it back to the way it was then.

Personally I think whenever you navigate to the bookmarks screen, whether it be backing out of a thread you're currently reading, or starting the app up, it should do an auto refresh but you could always make it an option in the settings page if it turned out to be controversial.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Thanks!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Anonononomous posted:

For someone interested in a high end Windows Phone, would you recommend the One? Or waiting to see if Nokia puts out something soon?

I'd rather have a 930 than a One, unless fancy pants stereo speakers are really that important to you. The speaker on the 930 is a backwards step from the one on the 920.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I've encountered a new issue with Awful forums reader, since the update yesterday, when you load a thread it takes you directly to the bottom of the page containing your last read post instead of the post itself.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

Already know. It's because I'm hiding the webpage view until the page is "fully" loaded, and the javascript for scrolling to the right post does not work when the webview is hidden. It's already fixed and will be in the next release.

Thanks!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

Okay, it should be up in a few hours. Also added was change font size for threads.

I got it a few hours ago while I was at work. Looks good.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

At IFA, Nokiasoft announced the 730 and 830, which you can read about in their blog: http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/09/04/morelumia/ They look solid for their price points.

What's of more immediate interest is Update 1 and Nokia Denim: http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/09/04/lumia-denim-update/ basically, better and faster camera, always listening Cortana with "hey Cortana," and Bing apps on the glance screen, like weather updates. Q4 2014 including carrier testing.

Those are some nice looking phones - the 730 seems to be a slightly slimmed down 920 with a spec bump.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drastic, I may have come across an issue with Awful forums reader. I turned the screen off while it was still in the foreground, and an hour later was startled by the low battery notification - it had chewed through about 50% battery in an hour, stuck on some kind of infinite loading loop, and the phone was burning hot. The phone shut itself down before I could turn it off myself.

I've since disabled the app's ability to run in the background.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

My app does not do anything in the background unless you turn on the live tile support (and you have to turn it on, it's not automatic). And that process only fires every 15 minutes, and does one check through your bookmarks and stops. And as soon as you turn it off, there are no other background processes. Even if the app was in the foreground anyway when you turned off the screen, it gets tombstoned. Not saying it did not cause it (if the battery saver app said it was me, I'll look further into it) but I don't think it was.

Battery saver listed your app as the highest usage - the next highest had about a third the usage. Can anybody think what else it might have been, or is this just some random thing?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Has anyone ever had any issues with their Windows Phone not syncing all of their photos to OneDrive properly? I was recently taking hundreds of photos on a vacation where I was constantly slipping in and out of reception, and some of the photos just never got uploaded- how do you force them?

Is it possible you have it set to upload in best quality? That would force it to wait till you were on WiFi.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Does anyone know why the camera app on my 930 might be deciding to randomly launch itself without me doing anything? It happens 2 or 3 times a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

LentThem posted:

Man, I'm super jealous. I don't know what's different about my settings, but after about 12 hours (from time I unplug phone from charger to the time I get home from work) my battery is in the 40s, and that's with 2-2.5 hours of use during my commute, and the rest of the day just being in standby (and maybe checking the chat app a couple of times). Basically, my battery drain is 15-20% per hour of active use, and 2-3% per hour on standby.

That's odd.I normally get 2-3 days out of my 930. Admittedly I don't use it for music, just web browsing, forum browsing, and communication type stuff - email, sms, calls etc.