Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Guess I should have expected when I didn't hear about improvements in this area, but sweet jesus, they managed to make the built-in music app even worse in some aspects. It's less important now due to warmer weather at the moment, but one of the best features of the original app was swipe-to-move to next track on the large album art pic, which was invaluable when wearing gloves with the screen sensitivity set high. Hitting the small forward/backward controls were hit or miss with winter gloves on, so the swipe motion was great.

Now that's gone, and even selecting the track is now a tiny icon instead of just tapping the song title. Playlist creation/editing is marginally improved in that you can now remove songs from a playlist, but the process of creating one is still a laughably byzantine affair on the device. Why when playing a album can't I just tap & hold on a song and select "Add to playlist", and choose amongst existing playlists to add to or create a new one with that selection as a starter?

Instead, you have two icons - a checklist icon which shows a checkbox beside each track. You would think then you would be able to check off certain tracks and select to add to a playlist, but nope - you only have the option to delete the track. So hit the back button to get back to the song list without checkboxes, and there's a disk icon to save - which creates a playlist of all the tracks. You can remove tracks from this playlist, but there's no way to just add individual songs while creating it - you have to add all from the view your playing and remove afterwards.

So if you then switch to another album/artist and follow the same procedure and hit the save icon - as before, you're only given the option to create a new playlist, you can't add to an existing one. If you want to add to existing playlist you just created from the album view, you have to go back to teh main music hub and select Playlists, then hit the + icon...and you're dumped into an individual song listing of your entire library. You can't sort this view by album/artist/date, only track title. That's the only way you can add tracks to an existing playlist.

What.
The.
gently caress.

I really don't understand why MS finds this so difficult. The Android Google Music app and iOS iTunes still just kick the poo poo out of this in interface and capability.

Well...I like the notification center at least. Cortana is relatively speedy and has decent speech recognition, but of course I have to set my region to US and due to not being Canadian-native supported at the moment much of what I ask for it just dumps me to Bing search results, the 3 times I've tested with searching for various stores/banks have been pretty innacurate (Eg: "What's the nearest Subway Station" shows me one miles away when I'm a 5 minute walk from my local, asking "What's the nearest Subway" shows me a Subway franchise location again miles away when there are 3 within a 15 min walk, etc). It will improve and just setting alarms/reminders is handy, but can't really use it at the moment until I don't have to change the region.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

loquacius posted:

I'm trying to get Cortana to actually find me restaurant recommendations. All the natural-language queries I could think of from seeing people (in commercials) talk to Siri, like "I want pizza" or "Show me some mexican food" or "Cortana, find me Thai food" or "Where can I get pizza around here?" just takes me directly to a Bing search for that phrase, which is about as useful as you'd expect. Am I doing this wrong or is that just what it's supposed to do in that scenario?
Doesn't do that for me - I just tried "Show me the nearest Mexican Restaurant", Cortana voiced "I found this one", shows me a map with the location pinned, contact details and a button for navigation directions (and it was indeed nearby).

There will likely be growing pains with it over the next months, MS has said as they get more data from participants the variations allowed for sentence structure will increase.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Anyone manage to find the setting for the new lock screen layouts? It doesn't appear to be...anywhere

Yeah don't have it on my 520 either. Wonder if that requires the combined firmware update - hope not, as that will be late summer most likely.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Probably missed this in previews but I was under the impression the "extra tiles" setting was restricted to phones beyond the smaller screen size models, but nice to see I get an extra medium-sized row on my 520 even. Makes a huge difference in the usability of live tiles when I can have far more at the largest/medium setting without scrolling, all are perfectly readable even with the limited 800x480 res.

Disappointed in the background photo option though. It looks "neat", but the problem with tiles is the users inability to customize them, and this doesn't really change that. I expected you could at least choose which tiles to be transparent, but nope. If MS isn't going to allow groups/folders I would think they would at least let you select the colour or background image per tile to help organize your apps, plus as the white text/icon doesn't have a colour outline if you choose a particular wallpaper you can completely obscure the tile.

It's definitely nice and an improvement, but still needs more end-user customization in this area. Having the ability to select a hue/shade instead of black/white for the background colour of the interface as a whole would be nice as well.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

MyFaceBeHi posted:

For some reason, after I upgraded to WP8.1, once I had fully charged my phone then turned it off and on again the battery went down to 32%! I take it that's not normal, right?

Mine went down 50% in about 2 hours. I think part of that is I have 17GB of music on it and it was taking it's time re-indexing everything.

Gotta say the home screen is awfully pretty now with the backgrounds and the new columns. I think for the 5"+ 720/1080p devices you could actually fit another medium-sized row on there with how well it works on the 520's small screen and resolution. The app list icons and text are shrunken as well, glad to see MS is getting the point much like they are with Windows 8 that being so wedded to their Metro design language over the practicality of visible information without scrolling is just stupid design differentiation for the sake of it.

Like how the status bar is mostly persistent where it makes sense now. Apps can still push it out of the way if need be for their design, the problem with WP 8 is that if you needed to quickly check, you had to swap out of the app just to see your battery. Now if the app hides it, just swipe down to get the action centre.

Oh, and the Xbox Music tile now also no longer shows the album art of the music you're playing - probably only does it for streamed Xbox Live music I guess(?) - it's probably the app that has the least reason to have the extra-large tile. Just pave over the Xbox Music's office space already for fucks sake.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Malmanous posted:

Yeah, I love the scrolling background, but so many of my Apps dont have theme aware live tiles so ive had to resort to pinning all the system apps to get the effect. I hope developers are quick about updating to 8.1.
...as long as they give you the option to turn off the transparency, if they can. Having all apps be transparent would suck for readability and quick recognition, you'll have a sea of white icons + white text.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Stubb Dogg posted:

I think what they showed was an app, which hasn't been released yet. Though when I looked at APIs I didn't really see anything new related to lockscreen so who knows.

Joe Belfiore confirmed it's not in the dev preview but is coming.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

MC Hawking posted:

Wait wait wait hold the phone. XBOX Music is even worse than the prior stock music app? The one which flat out refused to read id3 tags properly and wouldn't display embedded album art? Now it chugs on indexing too?
Yeah I've given it plenty of time (and massive battery drain) to ensure it's indexed my catalog fully and it still chunks when scrolling through albums & artists at times, and has had some particularly hilarious attempts at matching album art from Xbox's music catalog to my own music.

Go home Xbox music team you are drunk

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

MC Hawking posted:

Now, be really specific here. Is this because you have a massive music collection on a slow read SD card? Or is it because the interface has somehow just gotten all ppppbbbbbthththththth gently caress you end user.

Not a fast SD card, about 17 gigs of music but as mentioned the previous Music app didn't have this behaviour. It's not unusable and constantly jerking, but definitely not as smooth going through my collection as before.

Everything Xbox has been gently caress you end user lately so no change there

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yea my Unbranded 8X will not get Cortana. Under Language the Phone Language:Enabled is stuck under English (UK) and I cannot remove it even with US English above it. :argh:

However my sisters 8X worked perfectly but it was near 11PM last night and I needed sleep.

I also realllly wish Microsoft would just Glance left, then right, then just put WP7's Zune Music back into WP and call it an upgrade.
You and many others.

:toot: Xbox Music first-outing trip report :toot:

- Temp plunged to -2c today from a high of +20c two days ago. So back to gloves weather, and as expected - tap-tap-tap - gently caress - fourth tap, able to move to the next track. Before - one glove thumb swipe.
- Opening up the Xbox music: ~10 sec pause. Select to view Artists...pause..pause..5 seconds to show letters. Few seconds later, artists names start populating, and always lag when scrolling.
- Start playing an album. Randomly get a loud static scratch when moving to the next track a few times over the course of ~20 songs.

Then the kicker. As others have had, I struggled with the duplicate/triplicate/quadrupled song bug due to the incredible fragility of the music DB on SD cards (...I guess?), and that DB never being fully deleted if you format the SD card from the phone which I did 5+ times to try and solve it. I was finally able to stop it from occurring by wiping the SD card on my PC to ensure it was completely empty, then had the Nokia Black update applied which supposedly fixed the bug, and subsequently re-loaded all my music for the 6 time, and for the past few months all was good.

Guess what? It's back. Songs are starting to be duplicated. When I heard that track repeated for the first time I was about to chuck the phone at a wall.

So, guess I'll try the format/reload "trick" again. For the 7th time in a year.

(And yes, I've checked the SD card and used it on a MotoX without issue, there is not an issue with it hardware-wise).

quote:

Hell the Original Zune's style and layout was near perfect, and the WP7 version worked drat good and still works fine even after the transition. Why the hell did any code have to change since then?
There have been many "WTF?!" decisions at MS in the past 3 years with software design, and it seems they're slowly on the path to correct these. Killing the Zune player instead of just re-branding it with Xbox was one of these :psyduck: moments (along with not having any reliable sync solution when WP8 was introduced), but frankly I'd be surprised if they did that now. They seem to really be hell-bent on the Xbox music app being identical to the web interface and separate apps for the functionality that Zune provided in one. We'll likely see better mouse control with the W8 Music app and it will eventually be able to run in a window, but I think that will be it.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Tivac posted:

Speaking of Start Screen Backgrounds, I've been enjoying one I generated using PolyScreen.

That does work well, thanks the link.

I will now proceed to "Draw awesome image with it !"

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Don't forget to install the Bing Sports app so you can find out about Jays scores 2 days after!

(Really it updates loving slow for some reason)

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Xylo, per your comment about a lot of the core features being compartmentalized into separate apps for faster updates- does this apply to Cortana too? I'm assuming the updates to the Cortana app will be somewhat regular- how much of logic of that system is built into the OS, and how much is inside of the app? Put in simpler terms, as I get used to her (that feels weird to say), I begin to wonder about what the next logical features for "her" will be, and whether they can be tacked on as simple app updates, or if they will require major OS revisions. For instance, right now any directions she provides are done through Here Drive- theoretically how simple is it to then tack on regular Here Maps directions for public transit/walking?

Like Siri/Google Now, the majority of Cortana's logic happens on MS's servers. Cortana's functionality is significantly reduced without an active data connection. The majority of updates will happen on the backend.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

cstine posted:

So go into the settings and turn on and configure quiet hours?
Only if he's in the US or set his phone region as such, as quiet hours depends on Cortana for some idiotic reason.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Ev posted:

Has anyone else had problems with Nokia MixRadio not playing since updating to 8.1? It just won't load music for me now.

Yep same here. That's what I wanted to switch to when I got fed up with Xbox music, but refuses to load my library.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

thestoreroom posted:

When you say it won't load music, do you get a black screen when you go into the my music section? There was a huge performance regression in the part of 8.1 that powers the artist list, where it took 10x longer than in 8.0. Depending on how much music you have, and in particular how many artists, it could take a very long time to load.

Our 4.4 release, which is in the final stages of release prep, should fix this. But if it's something else you guys are getting, let me know!
Yeah that's it, I just gave up after staring at a black screen for a minute. Thanks for the update.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Did anyone actually get the update that was supposed to be released yesterday?

Update for...? The latest patch to 8.1 is not going to happen until next week or the week after. If you mean Xbox music, they changed it to read "Week of April 22nd" now, instead of April 22nd, so who knows what day.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Eh...I'd say somewhat. It's better, but certainly not back to the performance of the 8.0 music app for me at least.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

The bug that manifests as an audible split-second spurt of the previous track when moving to the next song is still there unfortunately, if not increasing in frequency with the last update I find. I've played about 30 songs so far and have had it happen likely 12 times. Guess we'll see in 2 weeks from now if it's squashed.

Not crippling, but geez - in 2014, should "be able to play multiple mp3 tracks in a row without skipping" be an actual milestone for a modern music player even if at the alpha code stage (which Xbox music certainly shouldn't be)? You would think this territory would be somewhat well-worn by now.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Good. I hope this is a sign of faster agility.
They're publicly committed to a new update every 2 weeks for Xbox music going forward, not indefinitely of course but likely over the next couple of months at least.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Lumia 520 runs butter smooth
Especially if you use IE, you can watch sites flow across the screen like slowly melting butter

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any ideas when HTC might push their own bits onto WP 8.1? My battery life has taken an absolute battering since I installed 8.1. Sitting on standby is the same, but any time I use it, the charge falls like a rock.

There's going to be another 8.1 update to the developer release in the interim, don't know exactly all the bugs it will address but it may help with this before HTC gets their firmware updated. That's carrier-specific in timeframe so it might be a while - could be late summer for some folks. Hell my 520 just got Nokia Black a couple of months before the 8.1 preview.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

LentThem posted:

Is XBM app supposed to be getting another update this week? I mean originally the plan was May 6 (or "the week of <tuesday date>," which is not how any countries describe weeks as far as I know), but users and news sites haven't said anything since the first update. I guess the first update fixed 99% of their complaints?
gently caress no, it's maybe 10% better. I think people are just waiting for a few more..to get it back to the point of what was in 8.0, I guess?

Oh, in other news - some major Nokia fella that had a lot to do with the Pureview cameras has jumped ship to Apple.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Well Xbox music got updated to add fine scrubbing and other small improvements.
...with a ridiculously tiny control. Since you can drag by holding the panorama view anywhere on the screen, try doing it with one-handed with your thumb on a 520. Basically impossible, I have to angle my thumb so that almost my nail is pointing at the control, and even then I still swipe the whole view more than half the time. Forget about doing this with gloves of course, even though there's plenty of space on even a small screen like the 520 to make all the controls easily accessible with an oversized thumb - but hey, Metro branding. Gotta have that xbox m- taking up the majority of the vertical height.

I mean really, this should have taken a few attempts to realize "well this is pointless". Separate it out from the album art image more, make the control larger - really, really basic UI stuff that is patently obvious right of the gate and MS just continually fucks it up.

quote:

I'm annoyed though that when scrolling through my music quickly, I still get to a point where it needs to catch up and fill in the artists and songs. I find this more annoying that anything.
Believe me, this is still better than before. Still the slowest music app I've used on any smartphone in recent years though.

quote:

Does anyone with more programming knowledge know why this is?
"Incompetence".

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 10, 2014

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

iLikeMidgets posted:

Is the file duplication problem on a SD card fixed in 8.1 ?

Do you mean the music "file" duplication issue? It was never a file duplication, it was basically the DB representing duplicate files (and triplicate...then 4x, 5x...etc) but the files weren't actually duplicated, just the DB was more fragile than a DB hosted on FAT16. That still happened on my 520 after using 8.1 for a few days, but I then reformatted the SD card from a PC and re-loaded and haven't had it happen again, albeit Xbox music is still a POS so that solved just one problem (for now).

If this is outside of music, not sure - never heard of this happening outside of the music DB.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anything new?

Don't see any. At least this morning after charging it last night though (9 hours ago) my battery dropped on my 520 by 7%.

Before this update it was more like 20-25% after a night left alone (phone was reset after the 8.1 update as well). So we'll see throughout the day.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Another update for Xbox music. Still slow as gently caress, but some decent usability improvements.

- Swipe up/down to change tracks.
- Album art now takes up more of the screen, the ridiculously huge XBOX MUSI- now shrunken to actually fit on the screen. I hope this is a trend to move away a bit from metro's religious overuse of huge typography that limits the space for on-screen controls.

So the seek bar is now a little bit more usable, controls in general are easier to hit with your thumb. Still gotta get that performance up though.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Nyah, Microsoft ditched XNA for no good reason, now Apple's introducing something similar with iOS 8. I wonder how long it'll take for Microsoft to backpedal now.

...not to mention all the integration features between phone/tablet/desktop that you would have thought MS would have been first in on.

I don't think Metal is analogous to XNA though, it's basically DX12 for only the iOS. I can see MS bringing DX12 to wphone or RT which will eventually be wphone eventually, but at this point this basically cements iOS as the gaming mobile OS of choice for the time being.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Stick100 posted:

The hilarious part is NO ONE even cares even to report it.

Not even Thurrott?! He's a journalist, you'd think he'd be right on this!

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

loquacius posted:

As opposed to before, right? :v:

True...hence the usage of the word "cements", albeit admittedly it was pretty much embedded in 10ft of re-barred concrete before this regardless. As developers (notably Carmack) have said, mobile graphic API's are in a horrendous state with regards to hidden & obvious performance penalties, so this combined with Apple's standardized hardware just makes it even more attractive. Maybe we'll see an A7 Apple TV with gamepad support...but that's for the iOS thread.

Back to Wphone 8.1: Internet Sharing - am I missing something obvious, or does 8.1 not automatically disengage it after no devices connect to it for a while? In 8.0 it would automatically disable after a set period if nothing connected, but with 8.1 I can't find the option - I've had my battery drained after 8 hours several times now because I forgot to shut off internet sharing after browsing on my iPad out in the world, precisely because I never had to do that with 8.0.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Xbox Music Update Report: Still horribly slow useless POS, continue on

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

benitocereno posted:

My pet theory is that those managers used the excuse that they couldn't update quickly because of the original OS integration, etc. So, when it was announced that Music and Video were being split into separate apps for update speed, those managers probably crapped their pants. I'd like to hope it's only a matter of time until it gets fixed... they have to fix it... right? :shepface:
We've been waiting for anything getting to within 30% of the capability/competence of the Zune ecosystem for years with no luck, so I'm not confident. MS just doesn't seem to care about music anymore except as a vehicle for pushing their streaming service, which is pretty idiotic considering you don't advertise your "new" service by giving your existing customers a much shittier experience than before.

It's pretty uncanny it's been a steady regression from WP 7.5. Just burn the Xbox Music division to the ground.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Captain Capacitor posted:

Use the uservoice site. Let them know what you want and how you use it.
Continue to Use Zune for Media Sync in WP

Originally proposed on Nov 12, 2012. Almost 17,000 votes, 53 pages of comments. Now many were fine with re-branding Zune to Xbox, but the uservoice comments went into great detail on the useless nature of Xbox Music and the problems with every other method of 'syncing'.

After 18+ months of continually being added to with no comment from MS, the feature suggestion thread was officially marked "declined" on May 23rd of this year:

quote:

Unfortunately, Windows Phone 8.1 does not support Zune. However, there are multiple ways to sync media on Windows Phone today
:thumbsup:

The final comment sums it up:

quote:

I will try to phrase this as delicately as I am capable of and I am not vitriolic here, I am genuinely curious. Is the Windows Phone team unwilling to comprehend the underlying problem that caused users to put almost 17,000 votes behind this idea, or are you collectively mentally incapable of understanding that the "multiple ways to sync media on Windows Phone today" are deemed inferior to a product that was discontinued almost half a decade ago?

I will make a wild generalization and allege that the majority of users does rather not care if their synchronization program is called (or based) on Zune, Xbox, iTunes or whatever.

We want the functionality of Zune. We want to sync our local music without having to worry about the sync program to mess with the metadata, create duplicates, regularly crash, try to stream music we already own, and all the other "features" you introduced with the decision to change from Zune to Xbox Music when transitioning from WP7 to WP8.

For all that is holy, just provide us with a solution that works before we collectively synonymize Xbox with itsucks.

While the problem may likely not lie with the coders, if you truly need users to point out why Xbox music and the entire music experience in Windows Phone (and Windows) has been a steadfast downward regression since Zune, then the problem is that you have the wrong people in positions of any influence.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Factor Mystic posted:

The Xbox Music web player is pretty sufficient, besides not being able to stream certain albums that I own (a problem being able to stream my own collection from OneDrive would solve). I prefer it to Spotify, actually, because it's a clean and functional modern web app with a very clear idea of "your collection" and "now playing" which not all web players get right.

But the Windows Phone app is a whole other story.

Yeah the web music player is fine, but apparently MS feels for the sake of "uniformity" amongst their interface, the desktop/metro experience has to mirror the web exactly (I think the web interface actually had drag and drop functionality long before the metro app actually). You can have a consistent approach to interfaces without having to mimic the limitations of the target platform entirely, ala Online Office - it's very familiar to anyone using Office 2013, but of course the full desktop suite's abilities are far more extensive as you would expect.

That's what's so idiotic about all this - if this was MS's first kick at the can in terms of a music ecosystem, outside of the performance and interface inconsistency of the phone app, most would be far more forgiving with the limitations and perhaps lack of a single syncing mechanism as MS wouldn't be expected to expend considerable resources when streaming music is the 'future'. But...they have it already. They have an extremely buffed and polished app which does everything a music lover would want, they just chose to abandon it instead of just re-branding it, likely for the sake of this 'consistency' and the ill-advised push for metro apps over desktop.

It's just bizarre from a business perspective as well, as even if you want to push people to your subscription system (assuming that system worked well from the start of course, which it didn't) - why would you direct the millions of users still syncing their own music to your main competitors - meaning iTunes - which MS actually recommends as a way to sync music to your WP? This is especially idiotic when said syncing apps come with their own music store and resultant marketing? If you're using iTunes routinely to sync your music to your WP, that means you're just exposed to Apple's platform that much more. You're really going to jump back and forth to the Xbox music site when you have everything you need in terms of streaming/purchasing/audiobooks/podcasts inside the app you'll be using everyday?

The kicker is that whenever I boot up Zune, despite having nothing but features removed in 3+ years, it still looks and acts like an app from a future MS - basically, what you might expect from a well designed Windows 9 desktop/metro app hybrid model.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

G-III posted:

Trip report:

WE'll BE UPDATING IT EVERY 2 WEEKS FOLKS!

est finish: dec 2015

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Microsoft is not alone. My friends Sony Andriod phone hard crashes and needs a reboot if he uses the default Sony music app. It has a memory leak of some kind.
He can't use the Google music app? Works very well when I've tried it with 10GB+ music.

Plus on Google there are a ton of free add-ons like equalizers - something many Windows phones still can't get.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

They really need to bring something under $200 (or around that) with at least 720p, a flash, and 1GB, as I've been saying since the MotoG introduction. The 630 is such a weird product in so many respects - no ambient light sensor is just bizarre, but nearly a year later making a model that by its # designation should be an upgrade from the 620 but is a downgrade in many respects - 512MB as opposed to 1GB, no flash, no front facing camera, still relatively low-res screen, etc.

This really should be obvious - the only time WP had significant momentum was when the 520 was such a ridiculous deal off-contract so WP finally started getting some traction in countries where most phones are purchased that way. But MS/Nokia haven't been as aggressive since, and reportedly market share declines in Europe last quarter, so WP is treading around 3% where it has for seemingly forever now. There's just no substantial traction.

Dunno, I'm pretty close to getting off this sputtering train I think, especially since my 520 slipped out of my hands and now cracked the screen (dropped 6 inches, screen cracks - whipped it out of my pocket twice by snagging my elbow on the headphone cables where it launched 10+ feet and bounced on the ground without incident in the past, luck of the draw). I have $200 credit at an MS store from an iPad2 trade-in I really can't use on anything else, so if there was say, a 640/650 for $200 with the specs I listed above I would probably have one by now, but who knows when/if such a WP phone will hit the market.

That, combined with a a lot of promising stuff shown at Google I/O (I really like the new design direction of Android), and with MS continuing to struggle with such advanced features as "Play several music tracks in a row", I can't see the point or much hope that MS really gets it other than continually touting some mystical synergistic future where the ever-lasting promise of "universal apps" apps actually has something tangible in terms of net gains for the desktop/phone user (frankly Apple demonstrated a huge portion of what I would actually want from that as opposed to running crappy phone apps on my PC, but the off-contract price of iPhones and making GBS threads desktop selection makes that somewhat of a non-starter for me to migrate to it as my main platform).

Hell, that "synergy" now consists of me syncing my shopping lists with Onenote on the desktop and phone, which I could do with any other platform.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

loquacius posted:

It strikes me that if this thread is any indication, Preview for Developers actually turned out to be a really bad idea on MS's part, though. Again, I think the Music app has by now improved enough that if we went straight from 8.0's version to the current one the prevailing reaction would be "hmm artist browsing is wonky now, that kinda sucks but :shrug:". Instead we had to deal with it when it was completely crippled and broken for a really long time, and it pissed everyone off to the extent that tons of longtime users are apparently switching away because it's still not completely fixed, and 8.1 still hasn't even seen general release yet (and maybe Music is why it hasn't???).
Oh please, this is really making excuses for MS for no reason.

Preview for Developers is not akin to a beta release, it may be considered a "release candidate", but even that's being generous IMO. The gap between it and the release from the carriers has a lot to do with Nokia and the few other WP models to get their firmware to behave with it and carriers testing it as well.

The fact of the matter is, the music experience as a whole on the WP platform (and one could argue, Windows) has been in a continual downgrade since WP 7.5, with features omitted and bizarre interface changes amongst several "reboots" for no seemingly no reason. Xbox Music was poo poo when it was released behind a paywall in WP 8, then got a lot of flack for it and did little to improve it. It has trouble playing successive tracks without randomly projecting a burst of the previous track - still - for fucks sake. The wheel has been re-invented several times and it's gotten closer and closer to a square.

Preview for Developers was an absolute necessity. If I had to wait until late this year - like I will if I had to wait on my carrier - to get the 8.1 features on my phone (don't forget, the majority of which are just playing catch-up to the competition in many aspects) then I would have ditched WP long ago.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 26, 2014

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Agreed on the back button behaviour, starting to annoy me especially with Music (what else), as when I accidentally close it by backing out one step too far, it's slow as gently caress to load again and there's no recent history.

One aspect of the keyboard btw that I'm surprised I don't see more bitching about is the location of the close (x) icon, which is just underneath the space bar. This is a two-fold problem when crafting an email, as when your thumb invariably hits it instead of space, you're given two options - save the message, or delete. There's a third obvious option missing - CANCEL.

So this is what happens:

1. Type type type [spacebar] - gently caress no, don't want to delete it
2. Choose the only sane option - save.
3. Tap the left side of the screen to get the folders view.
4. Navigate to the drafts folder, find the email you were just creating.
5. Open it and resume typing, and hope to hell you don't hit the X again.

The new swype-style keyboard helps me avoid this a little bit more, but sweet jeebus have I been close to chucking it on the street when it happens twice in a row on the same email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

LentThem posted:

Hm, I just tested this, and hitting back arrow when that dialog appears acts as a cancel button, taking me back to the email.
Could have sworn I've tried that many times with no results, but if that actually does cancel that message then double-dumbass on me I guess.

See folks even more back button inconsistency :smug:

edit: goddamit it does work that way, in my defense it's hard to use a phone when you have a bucket on your head to prevent you from licking an open wound

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 28, 2014