Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

TopherCStone posted:

Yeah looks like I'll just stick with Community when I upgrade.

Anybody know what the story is with Windows 10 on Xbox? I wonder if MS is going to try and steal the Steam Machine's thunder with the integration.
Whoa they can't tackle the Steam Machine until they destroy the Ouya juggernaut first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Charles Martel posted:

Hello next phone!

Hold off until you see what Blackberry has in store

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

soapgish posted:

Never complained or said it was a problem.
Did you mean to say "No one" complained or said it was a problem?

quote:

Solution: take an adult literacy course.
:qq:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

MS is killing off MSN Food and Drink, Health and Fitness and Travel apps (for all platforms - WP, iOS, Android). How many months was this after the MSN re-brand?

Kind of sucks as I use the H&F to track steps, which it can show via the lock screen - the MS Health app can't do that (to my knowledge), and the F&D was useful for shopping lists as I could edit them on my PC and have them sync. You can do that with Onenote but the problem is checking them off on the phone was a bitch as if you miss the checkbox Onenote assumes you're editing and up pops the keyboard.

Oh well, just a couple less things I likely won't miss when I finally get off this 'burning platform'

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Hey for budget/midrange phones you can't expect grea-

Oh, these are the flagships :stare:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

WP's music player makes streaming music particularly obnoxious to use (other than it normally is) with an idiotic design decision (granted it's the music player so par for the course) with the track selector that appears when you unlock the phone. It won't register the track name changes until after it starts playing. So for example, you have a huge playlist and want to skip forward to a song that you think is maybe 4-5 tracks ahead, but not sure - so hit the forward track icon. No response, hit it again - nothing. Basically you have to wait until the track is buffered before the title will change, really wtf.

BTW, Thurrott now believes only running Android apps natively can save Windows Phone.. Not only lol for the desperation, but it took Thurrott 8 years to realize "Huh, apps apparently matter".

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

So last quarter WP nabbed 1.7% marketshare apparently

Mods: Move this thread to E/N

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Even then, for its price, its not a non brainer. Some of my favorite features are gone inexplicable like double tap to wake or glance peek (just as google is getting more capable with its ambient display features. Its another 3 steps forward, 8 steps back for Microsoft and i'm not sure how much longer they can continue to do this, "wait for the next thing!, it'll be better we swear!"
Well, that's just it - it's not getting better. As you said, it's more steps back than forward when it needed to accelerate progression continuously years ago. Instead, from WP 7.5 on, every release gets some features but loses others, gains some performance but loses some, apps get re-written multiple times and seemingly abandon what was good about the previous. It's continually changing the foundation for the sake of some ridiculous 'unified' goal that only MS cares about.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

IMO, Microsoft really needs a Surface Phone. They need something that shows they are fully committed to mobile not just with the software (UWP is basically a gift to Windows Phone users to try and get more apps on the platform) but with hardware. The specs on the 950/950XL are nice, but they do look like Nokia phones with Microsoft branding. The Surfaces show that Microsoft can have nice hardware and hardware designs when it wants to, but these phones are just... blah...
I fail to see how a 'Surface' phone would change anything. The only period of sustained sales success WP has really had was with the 520 when it was just so clearly superior to everything else in its price range people could overlook the app gap. The vast, vast majority of sales for WP have been decidedly low-end. WP needs sales above all else, and the fact of the matter is people are not going to shell out for a premium device without the ecosystem support - making a WP phone now in a very nice case wouldn't change that.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"That site is so biased. I mean, they always give out great review scores to those devices that are massively successful and always get great reviews"

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Charles Martel posted:

The UI is fantastic,
Uh which one, WP8 or 10

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

As much as I've given up on WP, if I could get a 640 for under $50 unlocked I probably would not. But here's what's available in Canada:

Why even waste the server space to host the .png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Tivac posted:

Despite verifying that they're all set up to be shown in the notification center all my new mail notifications seem to be permanently broken in WP10.

Anyone else run into this? Do you have a fix?

This is a common issue on W10 desktop as well. Mail and notifications are completely hit or miss.