Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
For those without Cortana: Check that your Region and Language are set to English. Somehow I magically ended up in the UK. Change it and reboot your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Be sure to ask Cortana where Master Chief is :3:

"What is halo?"

Also holy poo poo I can search my phone now.

Captain Capacitor fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 15, 2014

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
"Why did the chicken cross the road?"

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
I like the auto-updating store apps, but I wish the action center would tell you which ones were updated. I had it update Skype with no notice. Went to check why someone hadn't gotten back to me and found it had closed the app to update.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
For people with less of a music collection this is looking much smoother. There's even a search button now! :v:

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Martytoof posted:

I need to teach it to swear though. People always thinking I'm talking about my shirt for some reason.

Don't get me wrong, I have some pretty nice shirts too.

Oh if there was ever a time for a Habs joke, it'd be right here. :)

Also much like the keyboard you can be pretty inaccurate with Swype and it'll figure out what you want. I'm awaiting a custom words option, as street names or the like are a bit of a pain.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

G-III posted:

Top off the fact that it took them _4_ years to release a bargain basement notification center and voice controls that enabled you to play music by artist / song title / album title. What kills me the most is that those voice controls were available to users back on Windows Mobile 6+. Even after almost half a decade Microsoft just refuses to get its poo poo together with respect to mobile.

Knowing who I do in Windows Phone it's not from lack of trying. Every project manager has an agenda, and they're trying to go from a dozen different ways of doing the same thing to something more unified.

Use the uservoice site. Let them know what you want and how you use it. They're targeting a lot of use cases but they can't always catch everything. I used it myself to report a bug with podcasts.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Just curious, but for those who are having trouble with the music app, how big of a library are you loading onto there?

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

clandestine cactus posted:

Why do people still have music collections when nearly everything is available via streaming, and wifi is more common than decent toilet paper?

Genuine question.

My real answer used to be data prices. 200MB monthly caps only go so far.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Just got my first stab at writing WinPhone apps using F#. I'm pretty stoked about it as I can have it cross-compiled for Android and iOS, too.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with all this.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Maneki Neko posted:

This is a nifty lockscreen app, yay Microsoft interns and employees working on side projects:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/tetra-lockscreen/11076e3b-6a9e-46e5-a563-d1f6b32a5df3

Small correction.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
I really wish that if I tap a text notification it didn't spin up yet another Messaging instance. It might explain why Messaging is the biggest battery hog going right now.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Not gonna lie, this thing works pretty well.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

loquacius posted:

Current Dev Preview Build Status: NOT hosed

There are some issues where multiple instances of apps can sometimes pile up in your task manager and affect battery life if you don't clear them out periodically, but the build from last week fixed most of those and honestly it's well worth it to get extra features.

Messaging still does it sadly

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Biggie Shorty posted:

-Can someone recommend a podcast catcher that will let me subscribe to a podcast using an opml link and also doesn't suck?

Podcast Lounge.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
I still haven't figured out how to get more than just the time on my Glance screen.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

OldPueblo posted:

This is less windows phone and more home automation, but I'll do a quick trip report on SmartThings who recently updated their windows phone app. I've wanted to dip my toe into home automation for a while now, but was afraid of all the different standards out there, what would be compatible with what, would I invest into a dead end group, who supports windows phone, etc. SmartThings appears to be the safe bet and they've recently stated they'll be moving to a universal app with Cortana support. All I've done is buy two z-wave modules for my already existing thermostats, then buy a couple z-wave light switches, and our windows phones are acting as presence sensors (come/go/IFTT). So the app allows me to toggle the lights on and off, mess with my thermostats including flipping from heat to cool (an annoying issue this time of year in Arizona), and check to see if either of us are home without texting/waiting for a reply. Insteon was the other front-runner but they're pretty locked down compatibility-wise and I've heard they haven't updated their app much. Also Samsung just bought SmartThings but they appear to be staying open source (at least so far as I've seen). If you have three hours to kill, take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upIiJt9iEUc
http://smarthomedb.com/ (to see what works with what)

tl;dr Smart Things supports Windows Phone for home automation poo poo.

Wish I had known about this before I invested in the Insteon stuff. The experience has been fine. If you don't mind using a spare iPhone to make sure the settings stick. Also the Windows Phone app still doesn't support my Nest so there's that.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Is there any way to customize what folders Harmony is using for Music? I have some audiobooks that I'd like to use but because of organized reasons I don't want them mixing with music. I'm still scarred from when my iPhone would shuffle to an audiobook even after I had marked them as such.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
If there was a Windows Phone heat map it would center somewhere around NE 40th St and NE 150th Ave.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Can we talk about the part where there's Qi AND a removable battery? Hell the ecosystem may not be as viable but hardware feature wise that's a big step forward (backward?)

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
So I installed Win10 on my 920.

I cannot downgrade fast enough.

A simple list of my grievances:
  • 3 out of 4 times when I press something, there's no response from the UI at all.
  • No more unified inbox
  • Things have somehow regressed with the Music app (now Groove music? WTF?) to the point of being practically useless
  • Selecting a notification rarely, if ever, actually takes me to the app that issued the notification. My text messages often bring me to Outlook
  • I really miss the swiping for categories/views
  • Nothing feels as tightly bound as before. This might not be a bad thing for others, mind you.
  • I know it's a debug build, but it's almost painfully slow.

:sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Puistokemisti posted:

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask about it but I just got a Lumia 920 as hand-me-down and can I seriously not change the DNS server for the wifi connection in this?

You can't, and even if you could it still wouldn't fix the slow wifi you're getting.

I still haven't fixed it and I can't explain why it happens.