Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Managing Wi-Fi or mobile data are incredibly useful.

1) In the USA do you not have shops/restaurants which have open Wi-Fi but then require you to click though an acceptance screen or enter your email address or something? They're everywhere in the UK and are really annoying because if you've connected in the past your phone will always re-connect but not actually be able to use it. It's easier just to flip wifi on or off.

CF The Cloud everywhere and Virgin Media on the underground

2) Lots of 520's and 620's were sold on £7.50 a month contracts with 250MB of data, being able to turn that off so game's aren't pulling adverts or RSS readers aren't downloading images is great. And with some apps you're never sure if they're using data or not

CF Nokia Music or HERE maps.

And while I'm here can you test how Cortana reacts to commands given through a headset microphone on the Emulator? Especially if you take a voice note or make a reminder does the screen turn on even if its in your pocket? That was so annoying I had to stop using that feature.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

Nobody can ever say Window Phone has fanboys, because all I see here are goddamn complaints.

We complain because we love.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Stubb Dogg posted:

All WP8 updates seemed to be like that, makes you wonder why they bothered with progress bar at all. Now I'm on second, actual 8.1 update and it's gears time again.

It's an ode to a previous era.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there anyway of setting a phonetic name for a contact? Also the screen still activates when you use Cortana through headphones. That sucks.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 14, 2014

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone know of a task list app that shows them on a Live tile and has a corresponding W8 app?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone know what date format's the email app is supposed to recognise? Because that feature doesn't work for me, and I can't do one click add to calendar. Is there perhaps some setting I have to enable?

My settings are in UK English and in the UK if it matters.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

iLikeMidgets posted:

I transferred some pictures from my pc to my Lumia 520. When I go to my Photos app, it says "updating" in the top left corner. It doesn't seem to be doing anything though. I've tried restarting the phone, taking the battery out, deleting all photos and re-transferring them but the updating is still there.
Before transferring the photos, I had taken a few pictures and it wasn't there before.
Any ideas?

How did you transfer them onto your phone?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
It's great- scrolling works properly! Out of interest are you still working on the app or was it just for demo purposes?

Because I would love to request a low bandwidth mode that doesn't download images!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
It annoys me that there's no compass on the Lumia 630, is there any phone in that price range that has one?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
It hasn't actually been decoupled. That was just a rumor.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
How do you change the IE search engine to Google again? I though it was just in settings but I can't find it on my girlfriends Lumia 630 - have they moved it in an update or something?

[EDIT] It seems carriers can disable this option, but she got this phone SIM free from Tesco's (£109 which is a bargain) so I can't se why it would have any customisations. Might try and activate the developer preview to see if that brings it back, despite this already being on 8.1

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jun 5, 2014

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Venusy posted:

It's under Settings > Internet Explorer > Advanced Settings > Default search provider. I don't think it was under Advanced Settings on WP7.

No it's not there, they've taken the option out which is really annoying.

The phone overall is really fast and a noticeable upgrade on the Lumia 620, however the lower ppi is noticeable and there is heavy backlight bleed like some reviewers mentioned. I also miss the camera button but someone who's never had one might not.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I didn't realise before but custom lock screens might not be available for 512mb devices.

That sucks and makes it even weirder that Nokia are coming out with brand new 512mb phones, you'd think they would ensure that their phones could use all the features of their software.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

fuseshock posted:

Got my Lumia Icon late yesterday and have been playing with it since. So far I really like it, great screen, smooth, etc. etc. I also like the MixRadio. Are the standard HERE Maps and assorted apps good for navigation? I think I'm going to wait until Verizon releases 8.1 to update the phone. But in WP8, is there no way to automatically update all the apps?

No that's a 8.1 feature, will do it when you're on WiFi

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone else have problems with, what I assume are, group messages. When I receive one it simply says "Get media content now (1kb)" but when you tap on it the same message refreshes, outgoing group messages also refuse to send.

My internet and MMS access point settings are correct, so is there any known issue on WP8.1?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Is data on? I couldn't receive MMS until I turned it on.

Data is definitely on, I use it all the time.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I'm sure there used to be a 'never' option for screen timeout. Has that disappeared in one of the updates?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So I got the Cortana update. The screen still turns on when you give a command through headphones. That still sucks.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

xylo posted:

I think this is because when the screen is off that subsystem is in a deep sleep power state.

Interesting, it doesn't happen on iOS though.

It only bugs me so much because I spend a lot of time on crowded tubes and cycling. I would love to make quick notes when my phone is in my pocket but if I do then the screen goes berserk from being constantly touched.

The keyboard is great so I don't even know when I'd want to use voice if my phone is already in my hand.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Fwiw I'm against auto refresh, I know what I'm looking at next and the auto refresh delay is just wasting time and data.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there word on how much the 730 will cost in the UK? I'm really hoping that its close to Moto G price, I'm wanting to upgrade to a phone with 1GB ram. Mainly in the hope Skype and other apps work better when switching between them.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there any way to make Cortana default to public transport directions and alerts? If I open it in the morning it will tell me about traffic incidents but not the tube status. I can't even drive!

Also if I ask it to remind me of something when I leave work does it base that on the GPS? Because I think I get on the underground too soon for it to trigger and then it only reminds me when I get off at the other end.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

They probably won't, but since WP's market share (unfortunately) continues to be just a footnote, they might just want to get their tech in front of as many people as possible, as with Office for iOS etc.

You have to pay for any real functionality with office. And nobody will use a crooked Cortana.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Anonononomous posted:

Do the built in Nokia maps do public transit? Or do I need to get a specialty app for that?

If you live in any major city there will be an app that it is better then Here Transit. Although Here's interface is pretty nifty.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Anonononomous posted:

Seriously? I was planning on doing some phone interviews for research and recording them to transcribe. Is there a good just audio recording app for Win 7? I have my old phone that I could just use as a recorder.

You can easily record a note in OneNote.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

loquacius posted:

My 920 has an issue where if I'm on the phone with another Windows Phone (my mom's 822 and my girlfriend's 1020 have this problem a lot) sometimes they stop being able to hear me unless I turn on speakerphone. I hate using speakerphone. The problem doesn't seem to come up when I'm talking to anyone who doesn't use a Windows Phone, but my mom and my girlfriend are probably the people I talk to the most often. Anyone heard of anything like this?

I have that exact problem on my 620, but it doesn't seem limited to people on Windows Phone alone.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Drastic Actions posted:

Instead I was working on a totally new revamped version. The old version was a real pain in the rear end to maintain, due to bad choices on my part (mostly do to the app being my first real Universal app). Now that I know more about MVVM and general workflow, I've changed it all around so it should hopefully be easier to maintain, as well as for other people to jump into.

Hooray!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Given the difference in processor would there be a noticable difference in using a 735 versus a 1020?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Has anyone bought Carcasonne on windows phone? I bought it on the windows app store for my surface then thought to check it out on windows phone.

However on the phone store it says that it works on all compatible windows devices- but not vice versa.

So do I need to buy it again on my phone or not?

Edit: Nevermind, pressing buy downloaded it for free!

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 25, 2014

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
You can buy a Lumia 1020 for £160 with Canberra grip and coloud pop head phones. For that price it's a really good deal I think.

Or at least I'm enjoying it!

If anyone has good tips for taking pictures of moving objects in all ears - right now I'm getting a lot of blue although landscapes look fantastic!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

G-III posted:

At this point Microsoft is drinking kerosene, pissing it full blast into the faces of it's paying customers, and is about ready to light a match.

That's a little dramatic...

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eh, I don't know. Given how anemic the progress on the WP user interface has been, given the years it's been on the market, that joke app is a slap in the face.

I dunno, I've been slapped in the face and it feels pretty different.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Mr Funkface posted:

EDIT: oh god, looks like the MS site as a goddamn myriad options: with/without LTE, with/without Dual SIM, with/without XL. WTF MS why the complications?

EDIT EDIT:

Anyone have first hand use of dual SIM WPhone?

EDIT EDIT EDIT: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/connectivity/use-a-dual-sim-phone

Windows phone handles it better then any other os and there aren't that many options.

Choose the size then wether you want dual sim cards or LTE. Done.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Mr Funkface posted:

No, it'll be for work and personal split. Though yes you're right the work SIM will be mostly (exclusively?) voice calls so I guess a 2G or whatever is fine for that, data/mms/dick pics on my personal data heavy SIM.

My point is I would rather plug and play without micromanaging rather than worry about these bullshit minutiae.

You can completely do that. Put the sim cards in and two tiles will appear. Select which one you want to use to make calls. Job done.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So I used to use the 'rooms' feature, but now thats finished I'm left with a useless calendar in Outlook 2013. Unfortunately I can't delete it, the option is greyed out, has this been a problem for anyone else?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

.Tim posted:

Yeah I have no issues with Edge on my work computer or my Surface 3.

Doesn't having terrible touch gestures bother you?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is it possible to save an old email to your phone?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Apparently wp10 got an update at the same time as w10 yesterday. Which is nice.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I had an update alert that said "introducing Gears, a new way to control". But when I restarted it was gone, has anybody seen anything about that?

On WP 8.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Do you mean Gadgets? Should be in the apps list.

That's the one! I wonder what things it can control, doesn't seem to be much info in the app.