Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

As a member of the Verizon Unlimited Illuminati I like to leave wifi on for location services but never connect to any spots because my 4G is faster by a mile. On my various Android phones this leads to incessant nagging to connect to a wifi network. Would an Icon nag me similarly?

There's a checkbox in Settings for that -- turn it off and a WP phone will never bug you about Wi-Fi networks again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

On the gears screen now; it has a progress bar which has not moved at all for at least twenty minutes. This one's gonna take a while.

fake-edit: literally while i was typing this it filled up all the way in about five seconds :wtc:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This update is kinda weird for me guys

Like, it stayed on gears for a while and then restarted, and seemed to be mostly on WP8.1 and functional, but there were a couple issues (for example my WiFi wouldn't work and was giving me an "attention required" message but tapping it in the Settings screen did nothing) so I tried restarting it again, and now it's giving me the "Migrating your data!" screen and taking its sweet time. I'm pretty sure my data was already there before. :raise:

From what I've seen the new features are pretty sweet, though -- I've only had the chance to use the notification center and the shape-drawing keyboard, but those work pretty well.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

cstine posted:

So after the 8.1 update my AT&T 1020 now has Data Sense. Which is great.

Whoa added bonus :dance: No more lovely AT&T bloatware

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Just launched Music for the first time.

"Updating collection... 10 songs updated." Changes to 20 after a couple seconds. Guys, I have 20 gigs of mp3s. This is gonna take a while.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah, confirmed that even after the initial loading of my several thousand mp3s finally finished, the Artists list still goes blank and needs to stop for loading after any amount of scrolling. How is it that even with every other improvement they manage to mess up music and sync more and more every time :psyduck:

e: Shuffle All does work properly now (finally!!!) and I guess I'll be barking orders to Cortana more often than picking off the list now that it's an option, but it's still kind of basic functionality.

e2: Uhhhhhhhh it lost all my pictures. They're still visible on OneDrive, so they're not gone forever, but they sure don't seem to be present on my phone right now and I don't see an option to mass-download them.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 14, 2014

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm trying to get Cortana to actually find me restaurant recommendations. All the natural-language queries I could think of from seeing people (in commercials) talk to Siri, like "I want pizza" or "Show me some mexican food" or "Cortana, find me Thai food" or "Where can I get pizza around here?" just takes me directly to a Bing search for that phrase, which is about as useful as you'd expect. Am I doing this wrong or is that just what it's supposed to do in that scenario?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dr Tran posted:

So it's the same as before but with new paint...

No, definitely not. It has reminders, both time-based and context-based, and it has built-in speech-activated music playback, and those are the two Siri features I'd call worthwhile, so it's still a huge upgrade. I just can't figure out how to get it to show me tomato soup like Zoie Dechinale did in that one commercial.

(it would help me prevent hotspacho)

e: If you say any of those phrases to Google Now, does it just find you your pizza places or does it plug "I want pizza" into Google?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Drastic Actions posted:

Totally disagree with the third one, but that's yelp for you :v:.

I never added Yelp to the Notebook. Maybe that's it?

(how do I do that)

(also could I do it with Urban Spoon instead because Yelp is some shady poo poo)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Drastic Actions posted:

Interests > Eat + Drink? I don't think you should need to add it though.

Yeah that's in there, no luck. Weird. Maybe I'm an edge case somehow and this is a bug.

I never got prompted to do initial setup either; I had to dig into settings to set my name. Maybe that's why?

I do really like that tapping Search brings up Cortana in text mode but holding it brings it up in speech mode. Handy.

e:

monster on a stick posted:

Do they show up in the Photos App?

Nope. Again, it's more of an inconvenience than anything since they're all still in OneDrive, but it's inexplicable.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

That is odd since they weren't deleted off my phone (though I went through a different update process.) Your music is still there right?

Yeah, music's all still there, and so are apps (after the expected round of reinstalls). Just the pictures. I just took one, and it is showing up as the only thing in my camera roll. No idea what's up with that.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Doesn't do that for me - I just tried "Show me the nearest Mexican Restaurant", Cortana voiced "I found this one", shows me a map with the location pinned, contact details and a button for navigation directions (and it was indeed nearby).

There will likely be growing pains with it over the next months, MS has said as they get more data from participants the variations allowed for sentence structure will increase.

Nah, this is definitely an edge-case bug, since Drastic Actions was able to put up screenshots of Cortana doing the right thing with my exact word choice and structure.

This was all done via typing rather than through voice since I'm sitting in my low-walled cubicle at work and don't want to be that guy talking to his phone in the middle of work. I'll try again via voice sometime later and see if that works any better.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

FYI I'm not on the phone team, I'm just an employee who has had WP8.1 for a few weeks.

Better file me a dogfood bug then -- anyone who takes a lot of pictures and turned auto-upload off might be a little bit madder about this issue than I am.

I suspect it might be related to that weird half-updated state my phone was in briefly as of this post, but of course that's pretty much unsubstantiated conjecture. Honestly that's probably bug-worthy in and of itself.

(for the record I was an SDET from July '10 to August '11)

loquacius fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 14, 2014

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Partycat posted:

It just shows me Taco Bell when I do that. I tried "show me a different one" and it still showed me the same taco bell. I said I don't like taco bell and it showed me taco bell.

I choose to believe that this showed up in a bug report at some point but was resolved "Won't Fix" due to being objectively hilarious :v:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

As long as I'm making a million posts today -- anyone know how to make Cortana track a flight that has not been mentioned in an email? I'm considering writing myself an email with the subject line "Flight info" and the body "<date> <flight number> <seat number>" and seeing if she figures it out, but there's probably a non-stupid way to do it too.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

WPCentral reports that switching the language to US English and the region to US seems to be enough to activate Cortana; WattsvilleBlues and others should find that interesting.

Also I can now confirm that asking Cortana for restaurant recommendations via voice seems to work just fine; she just didn't like having that typed at her for some reason.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've got about 4500. First time I loaded up the Music app I had to let it marinate for about half an hour or so to process everything; it hasn't worked since. :thumbsup: Good thing launching music through Cortana works so well 'cause it's now my only option.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Are there any third-party music apps that are good for local mp3 playback, or are they all various streaming services? If I could replace Xbox Music my life would be moderately easier.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

I also realllly wish Microsoft would just Glance left, then right, then just put WP7's Zune Music back into WP and call it an upgrade.

This +10000

Deciding to spend the rest of my lunch break investigating alternative music players for local playback because I gotta figure out SOMEthing.

The app "Music Player" by Studio 8 appears to be functional-- every time you switch to a new view ("artist album" or "artists" or "songs") it takes a few seconds to load, and it has to do this every time you launch the app, but it doesn't take too long and it doesn't crash and it scrolls as fast as you want it to, none of which I can say for the current iteration of XBox Music. Its interface isn't as well designed, though, and it doesn't have a good shuffle-all mode apparently, but Cortana can handle that easily enough. It also has a karaoke mode???

"Music Player PRO" appears to be utter trash and I don't understand how it got its votes, and "Music+" doesn't seem to work with local playback. Still looking for more.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Trip report:
After adding my 7000+ mp3s, it went through and cataloged the songs first time through and appears to be working somewhat normally now. When I hit "artists" it takes maybe 3-4 seconds to populate the list which is lame, but hardly horrible. I think the reason I'm having less issues is possibly that my 7000+ files are mostly short reference audio files tagged under only a couple artists rather than traditional albums though.

That explains how you're fitting so many mp3s on a WP device. I have a little over half that many files and am constantly bumping up against my 920's storage-space cap.

e: upon further investigation it appears to be just my "Artists" list that is broken in XBox music; my "albums" pivot is mostly fine and the "songs" one has to load if I scroll too fast but isn't so bad. The "Artists" pivot is a different story altogether.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 15, 2014

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Shrimpy posted:

Also, has anyone had any luck with Cortana picking up flight information out of e-mail? I just confirmed some Delta flights today and I have no idea if Cortana registered them or not (and what it would look like if it had).

Yeah, in my experience there'll be text about the flight info at the bottom of the Cortana screen which you can scroll up and tell her to track the flights. Not sure yet how to get her to track flights I don't have emails of.

quote:

e: At least WPCentral says a new app is coming http://www.wpcentral.com/xbox-music-awful-windows-phone-81-update-near

I saw this on my commute home and was gonna post it as soon as I got back, but you beat me to it. Apparently the reason the experience has been split up into several apps is so each of them can update independently on their own schedule, not tied at all to the OS updates. Also apparently this is just the lovely beta from last year, not updated at all, and preview-for-developers people just have to wait for the official launch.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Feature request: make the Messaging app stop suggesting emoji when I'm just typing words :mad:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Don't forget to install the Bing Sports app so you can find out about Jays scores 2 days after!

(Really it updates loving slow for some reason)

I just told Cortana what my favorite teams were and the scores show up in my daily update. So in other words I find out 12 hours after. Great improvement there. :downs:

e:

RVProfootballer posted:

FYI, Newegg has the 925 for $200 right now, no idea if that supports the bands you need or if you can order from Newegg, though. You'll get a much better camera and screen at the very least over the 625, which might be nice if you decide you like WP enough to use it for awhile.

What kind of process would it be to get an off-contract phone on AT&T's LTE network? I've never done that before, but if I could upgrade my phone to an objectively better one this cheap without burning my upgrade it's probably worth doing.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I asked Cortana what time it was and she took me to a bing search for "what time is it" so I set my region back to "Canada" because I don't need any help being clueless :downs:

Short of removing LinkedIn credentials, is there any way to remove LinkedIn contacts from the phone app's directory?

Settings -> Applications pivot -> People -> filter contact list

BigBoss posted:

According to the comments, this phone is locked to T Mobile, so you'd need to unlock it first. :\

Well hey, that's TWO processes I'm completely clueless about. Knew there was a catch :sigh:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

WPCentral claims XBox Music is getting patched next Tuesday :toot:

quote:

If you're interested to know what's on the way, here's what Microsoft is looking to include in the April 22nd update:
  • Numerous stability fixes, including many of the reported black screens
  • Cortana integration is complete and now supports playing playlists by name
  • UI polish to improve animations and transitions between UI views
  • Improved messaging for encountered errors, such as unplayable content in collections
  • Background initial sync of local and cloud content

And more to come after that, too!

quote:

As noted above, there will be bi-weekly releases after the first update has rolled out, which are set to include the following:
  • Continued focus on Stability and Performance
  • Live Tile integration
  • Quickplay improvements, including “recent” lists
  • Kids Corner Support
  • UX improvements (Search result grouping, creating new Radio Stations, improved Network status messages, Blue UI language alignment, now playing improvements and more)

Will this fix the lovely performance? It had loving better! :toot:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gotta be something to do with multitasking -- I noticed that the Background Tasks settings menu isn't even visible anymore.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah, this is an improvement, but they'd better keep 'em coming :colbert:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've had a 920 since it launched and it's still basically pristine; my girlfriend has had a 1020 for maybe four months now and it's beaten-up enough that she's thinking of actually getting a case. The idea of putting a case on a Nokia product just seems completely foreign to me because the 900 and 920 were just so indestructible. Either the same doesn't apply for the 1020 or she's been dropping it even more than I've seen.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah, C&P was enough of a make-or-break feature that it basically got an OS update all to itself. NoDo, the first OS update WP7 ever got, was basically just that plus a few stability fixes. No way they'd ever leave it out of any part of the OS after going through that for it.

(As I recall, Joe Belfiore said something along the lines of "who needs copy and paste???" in an interview and the tech press never let him hear the end of that one)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

I was kind of hoping that this poo poo stops with Ballmer out. Clearly not.

Give it a release or two, there hasn't really been time for any changed diplomacy policies to bear fruit.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Not in the case of Chrome -- even if they wanted to (although you are correct in that they don't), Google couldn't write a native Chrome browser for WP. Browser engine's locked down.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

They can offer a bookmark-syncing browser control shell though, which is all that was asked for (and all they have on iOS for that matter).

Honestly this sounds simple enough that a third-party dev could probably handle it. Depending on how open Google's API is on the subject of bookmarks, of course, which I have no idea about.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Remember when they shut down that Youtube app because it didn't conform to standards they had made it literally impossible to meet? :allears:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Venusy posted:

I can get Cortana working on my UK Lumia 820, but she can't understand my accent very well. :v: Trips up on things that don't phase the en-uk voice commands. Which is a shame, I don't have reason to use the voice search much (since I can usually search on something else), but the reminders would be quite useful to me.

I think this is probably the exact reason why it only works if your region is set to US, actually. They didn't trust their accent-deciphering technology yet.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah, every blog posting I could find about the update just seemed to parrot Belfiore's "bugfixes and battery improvements" tweet, so I doubt we'll find any new features or even information on which specific bugs were fixed or anything.

Hoping the battery life is actually better; that and Xbox Music were my only real complaints.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Read online that Lenovo has apparently confirmed they're putting out a WP8.1 device by the end of 2014. Interested to see how that turns out; I know Dell's handsets ended up being a disappointment but I still maintain that if any OEM could make me abandon the Lumia line it's probably Lenovo.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

this basically cements iOS as the gaming mobile OS of choice for the time being.

As opposed to before, right? :v:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jonah Hex posted:

I guess there were enough people like me who don't want to give Microsoft tons of data about our personal habits and locations just to mute the phone after midnight.

Is it naive of me to think MS probably isn't using Cortana's data to datamine? I mean, if it was Google, yeah, because that's how they make money, but MS's business model isn't based around targeted ads.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Anyone have any idea what this morning's dev-preview update changes? My phone sprung it on me while I was about to leave for work and then was stuck on the gears my whole commute. I had to listen to the radio the whole drive. The radio. :mad:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Worst case you're out eighteen bucks :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

When does 8.1 officially RTM? And what are the chances they can get their poo poo together before then?