Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

No, it's not even that they're incapable of making a usable app on their platform. The WP8.0 one was usable. The WP7.5 one was good, even. They took a good app and made it usable, then took that one and broke the poo poo out of it. v:geno:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

While we're on the subject, the Music app updated this morning after a Dev Preview OS update. Artist-browsing status: still hosed.

It's unfortunate that that's the one feature that's broken so badly considering it's the main way most people are going to browse their music. Again, I've resorted to having Cortana do it for me every time, but that's not a good general solution.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Devo posted:

I'm getting a weird bug with group messaging. My dad has been trying to send everyone updates about my grandpa in the hospital. Everyone else included in the message is getting it just fine. I've gotten group messages before from different sources so I don't think that's the problem.

He's got a Moto something or other on Verizon
I've got a Lumia 920 on AT&T

Anyone know of a fix for this? Kind of annoying to have to text my wife after each group message with "what did my dad just send?"

I know this is kind of basic, but there's a setting for group messaging -- it might have somehow gotten switched off by accident? Otherwise I've got nothing; my first reaction was that this was related to iMessage fuckery but if your dad doesn't have an iPhone that's not it.

e: Or yeah Verizon might be loving this up. I think it also took them a while to get visual voicemail working properly, if they ever did.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

For the record, the Music app (which is still a mess, gradually improving but not up to 8.0 parity and nowhere NEAR 7.x) and slightly worse battery life are the only downside I've had from 8.1 and I'm already addicted to using Cortana for everything (including music so I don't have to use the lovely app) so overall I'd still recommend upgrading. Just be prepared to say all your music choices out loud.

I should probably get back to looking through alternative music browsing apps; I sort of dropped that once I decided Cortana was a good enough substitute.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This morning I tried to launch the Music app just to turn on shuffle (turns out telling Cortana "play my music" doesn't turn shuffle on by default which is dumb) and got stuck at a black screen with "Loading your music..." at the top for like two solid minutes, at which point I swore, hit back, and relaunched. The app started up a new instance and I was at Now Playing within three seconds. I think resuming is just broken.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Captain Capacitor posted:

Just curious, but for those who are having trouble with the music app, how big of a library are you loading onto there?

Mine is friggin huge and I'm running out of space on my 920. It's absolutely a scaling issue, but it's one that didn't exist in previous iterations of the software.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

What's huge to you? I have ~1400 songs on mine (all on the SD card of course.)

Storage Sense is telling me I have 19.62GB of music. The 920 doesn't have an SD card slot :negative:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'd just like to throw in a plug for OneMusic which someone mentioned earlier. It seems to be pretty full-featured and (after an initial sync which took a while) much more functional than the stock music player. Not perfect -- the playlist feature seems a little janky, although I'm still playing around with it and it's not like the stock playlist flow is any better -- but probably the best option at the moment. Its Now Playing screen even lets you swipe left/right to skip ahead or back.

It does cost :2bux: but there's a trial version which I haven't found any actual paywalls in yet. Give it a shot.

e: Hey, I think I found a problem! It seems to always want to be running in the background and if you close out of it in the Task Manager thingie it appears to crash on releaunch. Man, it's always something :suicide:

loquacius fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 19, 2014

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This might be a controversial opinion in this thread these days, but during the forums downtime I decided that I might be coming around on the Music app :ohdear:

Like, it's still not "good" but it's usable now, for my particular use case (huge 20-gig dump of locally-stored MP3s) anyway. I still use Cortana to queue stuff up most of the time, but it's more because I listen to most of my music while driving than because the app is a horrible mess. Going in to do something like turn shuffle on or off now takes only a few seconds like it should, and the Artist list is still much slower to load than it has any business being in 2014, but even that has sped up to "minor inconvenience" status rather than "total dealbreaker."

Like, it's still nowhere near where it should be at this point, and sync is still awful as far as I know, but I can't really see it as something that should drive you away by itself anymore :shrug:

Am I just a special case, or am I rationalizing, or what?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah, Cortana's type input option is great, and reminders are a huge game-changer. I haven't used the location- or contact-based reminders that much, but that's mostly because I keep forgetting about them.

It strikes me that if this thread is any indication, Preview for Developers actually turned out to be a really bad idea on MS's part, though. Again, I think the Music app has by now improved enough that if we went straight from 8.0's version to the current one the prevailing reaction would be "hmm artist browsing is wonky now, that kinda sucks but :shrug:". Instead we had to deal with it when it was completely crippled and broken for a really long time, and it pissed everyone off to the extent that tons of longtime users are apparently switching away because it's still not completely fixed, and 8.1 still hasn't even seen general release yet (and maybe Music is why it hasn't???).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I have a 920; it's a good phone but it's outdated by now. You can do better.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

RasputinVarez posted:

ah, I had heard that Android is horribly un-optimised. All my friend makes fun of me for using 100% of my computer's 8GB of RAM on google chrome tabs.

For example?

The 925, the 1020, and the 1520 are all AT&T phones that are newer/faster/etc than the 920. The 1020 and 1520 have 32GB of storage, as well as added features like an awesome camera in the 1020 and Being Really Friggin Huge in the 1520. Look into those.

e: no idea about Australian prices though :shrug:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Also in late response to Happy_Misanthrope, I agree that by now the music and sync experience should be much more polished than it is, and it probably would be if they hadn't decided to completely refactor their music experience twice for whatever reason (I think the first one was to allow you to sync via file explorer because THAT sure did end up being a great experience :jerkbag:, and the second one was to remove the app from the system a little so they could update it more frequently because THAT's totally paid dividends so far :jerkbag:), but I maintain that what we ended up with at this point is roughly usable, and if we take them at their word it was necessary groundwork to improve it from where it was before :shrug: Time, of course, will tell on whether they're actually able to deliver on that.

As for Zune, I've been around the tech industry enough to recognize when something is obviously costing way more than it brings in, and the Zune desktop app fits that bill 100%. Continuing to support it through the Windows 8 transition would have been a pretty tough sell from a cost/benefit-analysis perspective. It's a shame we're missing out on something that was perfectly fine the way it was without an equivalent substitute, but losses are cut on better software for less short-term benefit than that all the time.

RasputinVarez posted:

My main use of a smartphone is actually as a GPS tracker, using endomondo right now but my phone is poo poo so it keeps crashing. i've had exactly one 10km run where the results were all one recording.So i'm not hugely into phablets for that reason.

Honestly a 920 would probably be fine for your use cases and budget (I used mine as a GPS tracker on a run just today actually) but this is a tech discussion forum so I'm sure you understand it's kind of difficult for us to not recommend newer phones (on account of they're newer).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

CubanMissile posted:

But SOMETHING MAJOR is coming to WP!

It'll probably be a broken port of Candy Crush or they're gonna buy Blackberry for patents or something like that.

I'm thinking it's new devices? It's about time for some new devices.

Also The Verge says WP is getting folders. Which it doesn't need but a few people will probably be happy.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

FYI there already appears to be a hotfix for that Calendar bug and I can create appointments again so if you'd been holding off on updating you can go ahead and do that now.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Holy poo poo, guys. I... I think they may have actually fixed the Music app. :aaaaa: I got the update this morning, then opened up my Artists list and scrolled as fast as I could and never had to stop to wait for it to load. Basic functionality has arrived, after only what 6 months?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Just get the dev preview, now that Music is fixed there's literally no reason not to.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Does this include the recent update that unfucked the Music app?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Man, things are not looking good on the sales/marketshare front. I'm not really surprised because there hasn't been a good new phone or a big marketing push in a while, but it still depresses me a little bit to see. :smith:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Charles Martel posted:

I love Microsoft and just wish they would get to a point where I don't have to feel embarrassed and / or have to inadvertely apologize for using and enjoying their products.

This is where I am with it. I will readily, happily, and zealously defend my choices of phone and tablet but I really wish I didn't have to do it as frequently as I do. :smith:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Do either of you guys have NFC (tap+send) on? It's a pretty big drain for relatively little actual use.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Anonononomous posted:

For someone interested in a high end Windows Phone, would you recommend the One? Or waiting to see if Nokia puts out something soon?

Edit: On Verizon.

My mom's finally due to upgrade from her 822 soon and I'm advising her to buy the Icon. She really needs a Nokia-quality camera above all else, though; that's not everyone's top priority :shrug:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Because Microsoft Windows Phone 8.1 hates any company that has a phone.

It sounds eerily similar to the main differentiating feature of the Fire Phone, actually, so I'd 100% believe that Amazon put a stop to it.

I'm actually not sure of any situation where this sentence applies, come to think of it -- it certainly wasn't MS's idea to break the functionality of basically every Google service on WP.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

(a) Microsoft didn't really have a reason to support Cal/CardDAV before Google switched, meaning "inexplicably burying their heads in the sand" is kind of a stretch on this one; (b) Gmail played perfectly nicely with Exchange before and the functionality had to be explicitly deactivated; (c) given Google's track record of shutting down every WP YouTube or Google Maps client they can track down I'm not really inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. :shrug:

(also point (c) was more what I was talking about than Gmail)

(like, their stated reason for not writing their own YouTube client for WP was "not enough marketshare, sorry", then when MS made one themselves Google shut it down because it didn't use API calls which Google had made it actually impossible for Microsoft to use)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think this might be the least reaction this thread has ever had to a new device announcement. The problem is probably that it's two midrange phones and we're insufferable powerusers?

My mom's 822 is a slow piece of crap and I've been saying she should upgrade to an Icon when her upgrade finally hits in late November; how would an 830 compare to the Icon? For that matter, do we even know which carriers either of these phones will be on?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think as long as I've owned a WP phone I've been extremely glad I don't use Bluetooth for anything. Has Bluetooth ever not been broken on this OS?

e: also I just ?-button'ed all of my posts in this thread and I'm pretty sure :shrug: is my #1-used emoticon here, lol

loquacius fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 9, 2014

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

There are people out there who charge their phones every four days? :psyduck: Why is that necessary, don't you sleep?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Drastic Actions posted:

Submitted a new Awful Forums Reader build for Windows 8 and Windows Phone. The changes I made on the last page. You should also be able to go back and forth between pages and not have it jump posts anymore.

EDIT: And it's in the store.

Just downloaded it and it seems pretty insistent that my username/password are incorrect no matter how many times I retype them; are there any characters that the app might not parse correctly were they to be found within my password?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My 920 has an issue where if I'm on the phone with another Windows Phone (my mom's 822 and my girlfriend's 1020 have this problem a lot) sometimes they stop being able to hear me unless I turn on speakerphone. I hate using speakerphone. The problem doesn't seem to come up when I'm talking to anyone who doesn't use a Windows Phone, but my mom and my girlfriend are probably the people I talk to the most often. Anyone heard of anything like this?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sri.Theo posted:

I have that exact problem on my 620, but it doesn't seem limited to people on Windows Phone alone.

Over the course of a recent job search I spent much more time talking to people on the phone than I can ever remember having done before, and not one of the recruiters, managers, or HR people I talked to over that time period had a single complaint. My mom brings it up every time, and my girlfriend has trouble hearing me maybe a quarter of the times we talk. Those are the two people I know who have WP phones. It's the weirdest thing.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Do you talk to your mom and gf on the handset normally, or do you use headphones + mic?

The handset is where this problem comes up; headphones + mic works fine.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm feeling disenchanted lately just because of the radio silence on new flagship-level devices. My contract is running out on my 920 and I'd love to get a better device but on AT&T I think my options are the 1020 and 1520 and neither of them are particularly new.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Could it be that MS Mobile is holding off on a new flagship because W(P) 910 is going to be another 'reboot' of the OS, with no upgrade path for handsets running 8.x?

It could, possibly, but there's really no reason to think that aside from it being a thing that happened before. It could also be that they're holding off on a new flagship because they're changing CEOs again, or because they're busy dealing with anti-monopoly laws in Europe, or because they don't want to distract from the upcoming launch of Windows XP. Those are all things that have happened before too.

As people have discussed, there were good reasons for the previous reboots (there's no way any device built for WM6.5 would be a good experience on WP7 or vice versa, and they probably should have jumped straight to the NT kernel from there so the second reboot wouldn't have been necessary, but they didn't, so they had to do it later) but they no longer apply and there is not presently a reason to think another one is coming.

The hover-hand tech not being ready sounds likely to me (reminds me of the whole Surface Mini thing), and is disappointing, but launching a new flagship phone based around cool-sounding future tech that isn't actually functional is more of a Samsung thing really :shrug:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Factor Mystic posted:

Not denying that carrier availability isn't a problem, but yall need to get off of carrier contracts. Took me a minute to figure out why the Icon/930 wouldn't work for you.

It costs $300 unlocked? :geno:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Factor Mystic posted:

I feel like you think that's a lot

It's three times the on-contract price and I'm viewing this through the eyes of someone who spends too goddamn much on gadgets already :colbert:

(that said, though, I reread your original post and I thought you were saying "take a minute to figure out" rather than "took me a minute" which is much less condescending than my reading so apologies sir :tipshat:)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Where can you get an Icon for $300 unlocked??

I checked again and it looks like that search result was actually for a 920 and I just can't read. Whoops. Revise my previous post to "it costs $465 unlocked :geno:"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Also, Microsoft is definitely not going to gate with Windows 10, that's just people being paranoid.

Arclyte posted:

OK, that is reassuring. So are you able to jailbreak and install 8.1 ahead of AT&T deciding you can have it?

There's an officially-sanctioned (by MS) method of peeking ahead called the Preview For Developers (where "developer" actually means "enthusiast". It is a lifesaver.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah, again, the only argument people have presented for that is that it's a thing that has happened before. WP8 phones have modern hardware running on a usable kernel; there's no actual reason anyone has presented that they couldn't be upgraded to modern software. This wasn't true for WM6.5 and it wasn't true for WP7.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

TopherCStone posted:

e2: Working fine as of this morning

Yeah, I've had weird intermittent bugs when attempting to download an app -- in my case, I couldn't download Runtastic for the life of me but tried again two days later and it worked fine. Just thinking about being the SDET in charge of that feature and getting a dev to seriously investigate a bug like this is making me shudder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

That lockscreen is really cool but I've become so dependent on WeatherFlow taking up that real estate that I can't use it :negative: