Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Windows Phone 8.1

Previous threads:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514718
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439182
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3355922
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3267845

What is Windows Phone?

Windows Phone is Microsoft's mobile OS. It was designed as a complete "start from scratch" replacement for the old Windows CE platform known as Windows Mobile.

What's new in Windows Phone 8.1?

Lots. WP8.1 is a major upgrade over WP8.

Here's a demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAu0YgPnuXM

If you've got more time, you can watch the whole keynote announcement from BUILD 2014 here:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/KEY01

Here is an incomplete list of some of the major new items:

For Developers:
  • ~90% platform convergence with Windows!
  • More platform extensibility (your app can integrate into the phone's experience)
  • Universal Projects/Apps
  • Unified push notification service (now uses WNS)

For Users:
  • Action center
    • Toasts/Notifications viewable here
    • Quick settings toggles
  • Shape Writing
    • Updates to baked in apps
    • Calendar has new views
    • Podcasts app
    • New revamped music app
  • Camera / Photos
    • Burst mode
    • Collections improvements
  • Update to Internet Explorer 11
    • InPrivate mode
    • Unlimited Tabs
    • New Reading Mode
  • Start Screen updates!
    • Shadowboxing (Background)
    • User selectable 3 column layout for larger screen devices
    • Lots of new lock screen themes (with very different layouts than what's currently available)
  • Dual Sim support
  • New maps features
    • Landmarks/POI/etc
    • Perspective view
  • Settings roaming
  • New backup/restore
    • Includes start screen, ringtones, etc.
    • App data can be included if app supports
  • Wifi Sense
  • VPN
  • Miracast
  • Cortana, a personal assistant

When will it be done?

It's "done" now. It's currently in the commercialization phase. This means that a Microsoft team is working with OEMs/MOs putting in any last minute fixes/tweaks needed and are preparing to release new phones/update existing devices.

What devices can upgrade to 8.1?

All current WP8 devices can run WP8.1. Obviously, new devices will be coming with WP8.1. Nokia has announced all WP8 Lumia devices will be receiving the update.

When will MY phone get the update?

This depends on the carrier and the manufacturer. Carriers like to test any changes to the device to ensure that the new software will not cause network issues or result in their support centers getting flooded with support calls. Sometimes carriers need to ask manufacturer to provide updated firmware for phones so their phone variant can work without issues.

How do I get the update?

When it's release, there are two ways to get the update:
  1. You wait for your carrier and manufacturer to test and approve the update and that send it to you OTA when it's ready.
    or
  2. You join the developer program, potential void your support/warranty, and update at your leisure. See here for details

What does "platform convergence" mean? What's a Universal App

This is for developers. In essence it means more shared code/APIs between a Windows, Windows Phone, and Xbox apps. The result is that it is possible for a single app to target all Windows platforms, be it XAML, HTML, or DirectX.
This is called a Universal App. Grab the SDK here and try it out!

What is "Shadowboxing"?
The start screen now has the option for a background that will appear "inside" your tiles*. When scrolling the screen, the background has some parallax effect.
It looks great, you should try it. (Not all tiles are transparent as this is a developer setting)

Whats the deal with backup/restore? What what's the deal with app data being backed up?

Backups are stored in your Onedrive space and can be managed on the phone or via the OneDrive settings page.
Most settings are now backed up also (start screen layout, accent color, etc). The few that are new are done for design reasons (for example, Data Sense settings).

Applications can now be coded to hook into the OS to have a user's application data backed up (THANK GOD)

What is Wifi Sense?

Carriers are moving away from unlimited data plans (at least in the states anyways), while phones are becoming a more integral part of our lives and our data usage is increasing. This makes managing your data usage more critical than ever. Wifi Sense is a feature that will help you save on your cellular data usage by connecting to free Wifi access points automatically without interaction from the user.

Additionally, as a sub feature, you can add your own personal (ie home access point) and share access to your friends without them needing know your access points shared key.

What is Miracast?

See the Wikipedia definition. Basically this allows you to project your phones screen on another device via Wifi Direct/USB/HDMI. THIS MAY NOT WORK WITH ALL CURRENT PHONES, and is somewhat up in the air at the moment until we get some more concrete info from the handset makers.

What is the action center?

Any toast/notification that happens on the system gets stored in the action center for review. Along with this are quick action buttons (think quick enable/disable for things like rotation lock, airplane mode, etc). You can toggle which apps are allowed to show in the action center, play a notification sound, show a toast, or vibrate the phone.

What is this Cortana digital personal assistant thing?

Cortana is a digital personal assistant designed to help you in your daily life. The vision is to have her learn about you at a personal level (your tastes, interests, habits, etc) and then, like a real personal assistant, help you in a variety of ways at a personal level.

If you want the marketing video, watch this

Cortana replaces the Bing (search) button -- a single press brings Cortana up ready for input while a long press brings up Cortana listening for speech. Cortana is being designed for natural speech and has built with a learning backend -- meaning the more you use/talk to it, the better it will become overtime. If you walk to Cortana, she’ll talk back. If you type to Cortana, she won’t talk back. Both work equally well.

Okay that sounds like marketing speak, give me examples of what it will do.

Examples:
  • If you have an appointment on your calendar, Cortana will remind you when you should leave your current destination to arrive on time based on distance/traffic/etc.
  • You can ask Cortana to remind you of things based on a variety of conditions, general information queries, do phone tasks, etc Some examples:
    • Pick up Paint samples next time I'm at Home Depot
    • Next time I’m at liquor store pick up vodka.
    • When is the Seahawks next game?
    • Wake me up at 7am.
  • Cortana can set "Quiet Hours" for you -- she'll handle calls/texts/notifications for you.
  • Cortana will learn about places you go to (home, work, restaurants, etc) and remember them.
  • If allowed, Cortana will watch for data she can help you with from your email on your phone (like flight itineraries) and add it to her notebook.
  • Cortana can let you know of sports events of teams you like, weather, traffic, etc and keep you updated when interesting things happen.
  • Can accept integration into third party apps (see the key next for things like Hulu integration)

Okay that email scanning and other stuff sounds super creepy and I'm sure Microsoft is just selling our info and illuminati free masons bitcoin ron paul...

You configure Cortana not to watch your email when trying to help you. You can completely disable Cortana you want. Additionally you can modify Cortana's on device notebook if you want to change/remove items. You can also clear Cortana data at your Bing personalization page

What's the Cortana in beta all about?

Microsoft is launching Cortana as a beta feature in 8.1. The reason being that there is ongoing "training" of the voice system as well as adding new features and bits. The backend will continually be updated so what you have on the phone will be improved in a continuous fashion.

(Thanks to Xylo!)

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

(reserved)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

ElGroucho posted:

My only complaint right now is with AT&T and Verizon and their awful exclusive nonsense. My contract on AT&T is up for my 900, and I can get a now underpowered 1020, or a 1520 with good hardware that is stupid-big.

Is this going to be one of those things where buying an international 930 means no LTE on AT&T?

I'd be shocked if we don't hear something soon about AT&T picking up a version of the 930

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

cstine posted:

So after the 8.1 update my AT&T 1020 now has Data Sense. Which is great.

On past updates, have things like this gone away once you get the actual carrier update for firmwares and such?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

I read everywhere that Xbox Music became more terrible?

Hopefully there is a team chained to their desks working on this, because yeah, the beta app on 8.0 was bad enough for me to go back to the built in one, and this is not an option anymore.

EDIT:

The new podcasts app does appear to be pretty nice though, so hopefully it works!

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 14, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Anyone manage to find the setting for the new lock screen layouts? It doesn't appear to be...anywhere

Sounds like this isn't there yet.

Anyone know where the ability to control background tasks went?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I had a backup 920 for some reason, so I loaded 8.1 onto it last night. If I can get everything set up I'll probably just switch my SIM card over and start using it as my main phone.

I am in the process of loading 7,000 mp3s to it at the moment. Exactly how hosed will I be when I load the music app for the first time?

You will be very very sad. I've got about 1100-1200 on mine and it's largely unusable. Very slow and unresponsive, sometimes fails to draw the UI (I just get a black screen), etc. The lock screen controls generally work fine though, but I can't set things like "shuffle" via it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Is any phone that wasn't already on three columns of tiles forced onto three columns with the update? I am sticking to the two myself, don't really see the need for more.

Nope. I ended up going back to 2 just because 3 looked a bit too small (imho) on my 920.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

GET THOSE XBOX MUSIC COMPLAINTS READY PEOPLE!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...6571501b?page=1

http://xboxmusic.uservoice.com/forums/209733-xbox-music-suggestion-box/category/67365-windows-phone

:clint:

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 18, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Horky posted:

I could swear that before updating to 8.1 I could use the camera button to wake up the phone and go straight to the camera. Am I remembering this wrong?

And I asked Cortana to remind me daily to give my dog a pill. It has it on the tile and the calendar but won't actually give me the reminder unless I restart the phone daily. That can't be right.

No 3rd party alarm apps going?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Can anyone comment on the picture quality of the 1520? My wife is worried it won't take a good photo and is convincing her self she needs the 1020.

I am against it because of the hardware loss going down to a 1020.

Yeah, I'd be reluctant to pick up the 1020 if the 1520 isn't too big. Here's some comparisons, the 1520 still bumps out 19mp images:

http://www.wpcentral.com/cameras-nokia-lumia-1520-vs-lumia-1020

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Is cortana providing traffic updates for anyone? I have this feature turned on as far as I can tell but have never seen this update happen. Just headlines, weather and tech news in Cortana's feed.

Did Cortana ever ask you where you worked? I work from home, so this isn't super useful for me, but after setting my home address as a favorite it asked me where I worked next time I launched it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Man, this has single-handedly made the "me" tile useful for me again in 8.1:

http://www.wpcentral.com/integrate-4th-mayor-me-tile-windows-phone-81

Super quick checkin, no reason to keep 4th and mayor (or any other foursquare app) pinned to the start screen anymore!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently Belfiore did an AMA on Reddit. Just going through that poo poo, but it appears they're working on a native file manager. Screens Joe posted himself: http://imgur.com/a/hvqGD

--edit: Figures there wasn't much else in that AMA. Same crap about Xbox Music and Cortana improving. Some bollocks about carriers.
--edit2: Except maybe for that:

Given that some people here wanted to disable data and cell radio.

Sadly all the answers about Xbox Music/syncing basically seemed to boil down to "if you like manually copying poo poo to your phone or living 100% within the janky limitations of Xbox Music, you're going to LOVE 8.1!" and doesn't do anything to address people who are still looking for similar functionality to what existed in Windows Phone 7.x in terms of local sync.

I'm assuming the answer is because there's not ever going to be a solution for that use case, and that they're stuck with the limitations of the Xbox music service as it exists now, but still that makes me pretty sad :(

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 3, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Irritated Goat posted:

What are you guys recommending for music? Just dealing with Xbox music? I'm fine with streaming it but I'd like to create playlists on my PC rather than the phone.

Not many great options there, especially for Windows Phone 8.1 users. I haven't gotten the 8.1 music app to see anything other than Xbox Music playlists, so unless you have Windows 8 to edit Xbox Music playlists on your pc you are largely boned.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Wow, I went through and took a look at my gmail accounts and set them back to syncing at time intervals rather than letting 8.1 decide when to sync, and I went from having a dead battery every day by like 1 pm to having 75% left at 3:30 pm.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone else have issues getting Cortana to play music? She recognizes the voice command, but then complains that streaming music has to be on in the music app, even though it is.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

HorseHeadBed posted:

Thinking that I might get a Lumia 1020 as I like the notion of a good camera on me at all times. I've got a mac, though, and am a little leery of interoperability problems from past Android and Blackberry handsets. Is it much of a problem swapping things between WP8 and Mac OS X? I've got a gmail account, calendar and contacts and wouldn't really be putting music on the phone, just taking photos and videos off it. Files will go through Evernote or Onedrive, but I don't think I want to sync HD video and 41 megapixel photos over Bluetooth or any other wireless connection. I know an iPhone would make life simpler, but there's something about that big yellow bastard of a Nokia that makes me want it...

There's a sync app for Mac for syncing up music/videos/photos:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/windows-phone-app-for-mac

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like a picture of LGs return to Windows Phone has leaked, supposedly for Verizon:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/13/5712798/lg-uni8-windows-phone-8-1-device-rumor

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 13, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Man, that is a surprise. Especially since the current version worked impeccably.

Not on 8.1 apparently. Hopefully Whatsapp is working on an updated version now, but not sure why they would pull it unless it was actually doing something bad to the service when being run on 8.1 devices.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Man I really hope AT&T announces some new phones soon. Verizon better not have a lock on the 930 in the US, because there's no way in hell I'm switching just for that.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I've been having a lot of issues with Bluetooth (still) and general phone performance. I have 17GB free on my 920 and very few apps installed.

Kind of disappointing.

On 8.1? 8.0 with the latest updates is fine for me, 8.1 and my car (ford sync) went back to trainwreck status sadly :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

JPrime posted:

Do any of the MS people in this thread know if syncing a playlist from the desktop app is ever going to work again?

From libraries or itunes?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

File Manager is out for 8.1 devices:

http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2014/05/30/introducing-files-a-file-management-app-for-windows-phone-8-1.aspx

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Stick100 posted:

Sorry bad news WP enthusiasts.

Oh FYI Windows Phone/Windows 8 development has taken a huge hit this month. Pubcenter was the main ad platform used by windows phone developers (created and sponsored by Microsoft). At one point it paid really well (MS was buying almost all the ads), then for years it paid ok (MS was buying a lot of ads, and encouraging others to buy ads) and had fill rates in the 90-75% range (which is normal) then in the last 2 months pub center fill rates have fallen to 10% and the pay rates have dropped to 0. People who were making $1000s per day are now making less than $1. It's a true apocalypse for Windows 8/Windows Phone development.

The hilarious part is NO ONE even cares even to report it.

I saw people complaining about that around this time last year, (which corresponds with the start of the down line), sad that it hasn't gotten any better.

What happens in these scenarios, do ads just simply not appear in the box or whatever?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Some new devices from some of the new OEMs, presumably for the low and mid range of the market: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-shows-off-a-range-of-new-windows-phones-at-computex

Ha, do you want the HTC one knock off, the Galaxy S2 knockoff, or the Lumia knockoff?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Xbox Music Update Report: Still horribly slow useless POS, continue on

Yeah, I thought they had actually made it somehow WORSE, but it turns out the service actually also was having problems the day they released the update, so cloud collection didn't work and streaming from the store just got you the 30 second samples.

At least we're back to the same baseline of blah.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

I sure hope so, because the release of the 930 is apparently tied to the general release of WP8.1. It's almost like an unicorn.

Haven't they said at this point that the Lumia packages are all done for 8.1?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

EdEddnEddy posted:

+1 for a Zune and ZuneHD fan and still baffled as to why Microsoft thought it was important or a good idea to kill the name, brand, style, software.

You had a fantastic piece of hardware. (HD)
You had a fantastic piece of software. (Zune Desktop, awesome look and style and now playing screensaver with cool text effects, good functionality, wireless syncing (Why is this not a thing today but was from WP5-7.5?))
You had a fantastic music based social network. (not sure how fantastic it really was, but it was unique and people used it, plus I liked the plays count and such as well as ability to share music with other ZuneHD's)
You had a fantastic mobile system and solution. (It freaking worked and it worked well, on both WP7+ and Zune)
You had a freaking 3D interface similar to the "New" Fire Phone. (Tilt your ZuneHD around, it was pretty snazzy)

Yet with all this and the dedicated users that have loved both Zune and Windows Phone, Microsoft almost looks like it wants to give up and just port all their unique software and features to the other devices even after pulling in Nokia and its own Phone hardware... I really hope the new CEO can do something to really downsize and reorg the entire structure to be more like WP7's focus but with speed we were seeing right around the 8.1 RTM release.

It seems like 8.1 was announced months ago, just like Mango and the like, and we are in freaking tech limbo till Christmas again. It is pathetic.

While I still dislike Android, my EVO LTE has actually been, reliable with the latest 4.3 update from HTC, and I am tempted to just stick with a HTC One or something down the road as there is still no Sprint cooperation and nothing new on the horizon for at least another year or more...

Yeah, I'm pondering jumping ship this year over the state of the music experience (both the app and syncing), and I was literally the only non-microsoft employee purchasing a phone back on 7.x launch day at my local AT&T store. :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Drastic Actions posted:

Now that Twitter supports GIF animations (kinda), I wonder how Microsoft Twitter are going to add it to the Windows Phone app. Animations are not supported in Image holders in neither Silverlight nor WinRT. I kinda want that support for my own apps though, so maybe they will add that to WinRT and therefore Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1... yeah, probably not :(.

Ha, well might actually be easier than it sounds:

http://blog.embed.ly/post/89265229166/what-twitter-isnt-telling-you-about-gifs

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How much of a game-changer is Cortana on day-to-day use? I'm itching to get a new phone but if Cortana is balls-to-the-wall great, I might wait a while longer until it lands in the UK.

So far I think Cortana is probably the best thing about 8.1.

loquacius posted:

Yeah, Cortana's type input option is great, and reminders are a huge game-changer. I haven't used the location- or contact-based reminders that much, but that's mostly because I keep forgetting about them.

It strikes me that if this thread is any indication, Preview for Developers actually turned out to be a really bad idea on MS's part, though. Again, I think the Music app has by now improved enough that if we went straight from 8.0's version to the current one the prevailing reaction would be "hmm artist browsing is wonky now, that kinda sucks but :shrug:". Instead we had to deal with it when it was completely crippled and broken for a really long time, and it pissed everyone off to the extent that tons of longtime users are apparently switching away because it's still not completely fixed, and 8.1 still hasn't even seen general release yet (and maybe Music is why it hasn't???).

Well, for me, 8.1 preview was useful in that it showed that Microsoft really didn't seem have making the Music and sync experience any better in 8.1 a priority, and that it's probably time to look for a new phone. I don't see anything that would've led to me arriving at a different conclusion once 8.1 was released though either, the best I think the 8.1 music app can hope for is to be as good as the 8.0 one, which frankly sucked compared to 7.5

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 26, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

ack, double post.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

wormil posted:

Back on the 14th I ordered a 521 for $59 from Newegg. By the 23rd it hadn't arrived, UPS said they never received the package, and Newegg basically shrugged and said they would cancel the order and refund my money in a week or so. So on the 25th I ordered a 521 from Microsoft. Today, both phones arrived. Luckily MS does free returns.

So this Windows phone is really different. I mean I expected it to be different but the interface is really different from Android or PCs or Macs or Linux. I don't dislike it but if anyone remembers what their fingers felt like after the first day of typing class (if you actually had a typing class), that's what my brain feels like. I must be getting old, might need someone younger to program the VCR DVR Roku Live Tiles, for me.

I like the tiles more than android but as someone mentioned a few posts back, usage of the back button seems inconsistent. Fonts are inconsistent, really small in some apps and just right in others; none of the apps so far can change the font size. There are at least 3.5 godzillion youtube apps but no Google calendar. Most of the apps I care about have Windows versions or equivalents except for G-Calendar and Dish Network (so I can control my DVR while away for extended periods), and the SA app seems like it needs a lot of work. Anyway, that's my first impression.

I don't use Google calendar for much, is there stuff the native calendar app doesn't support in regards to Google calendars?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

EdEddnEddy posted:

I really wish Pebble would make an official app for Windows Phone now that 8.1 pretty much fixed all the Notification API problems (or so I believe, I could be wrong as I don't develop).

Also isn't AT&T getting the 930 itself?

Nothing new on AT&T has been announced. They are getting the Bluetooth LE implementations certified, which should hopefully open up the door for all this stuff.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Edward IV posted:

So it turns out that the Lumia 900 doesn't use microSD cards for storage. As a result, I can't expand beyond the stock 16 GB which is just barely enough space to get my base music collection. I'd rather have more so I can use it as a more modern Zune replacement and to store most of my music collection.

Is there a comprehensive list of Windows Phone 7 devices that can have their storage upgraded with microSD cards? Any recommendations for something small, light, that has good build quality, and isn't plastered in carrier logos? Last one isn't a big deal, though.

I already have a 32GB card that I used for my old Venue Pro but that was way too big and heavy to carry around considering I'm currently using a Lumia 920.

Samsung Focus is about it in terms of 3rd party MicroSD support for 7.x devices.

clandestine cactus posted:

Why do people still have music collections when nearly everything is available via streaming, and wifi is more common than decent toilet paper?

Genuine question.

Air travel, and stuff that's not on the streaming services.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Edward IV posted:

What about in cases where microSD is being used as the storage device and is not supposed to be user serviced like the Dell Venue Pro or HTC HD7?

Yeah, those are also options, although more painful ones, and the HD7 and Venue Pro and kind of crappy choices compared to the Focus.

The microSD card slot on the Focus is easily accessible, but it gets "stitched together" with the 8 gigs of onboard space to make a unified storage space (adding/removing the card is a hard reset situation though). The Focus was always pretty sensitive to the speed of the MicroSD card used, and it took me 2 or 3 cards before I found a usable one, but having 40 gigs of onboard space was nice.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Charles Martel posted:

What are the chances of phone carriers doing 4th of July specials? If Verizon can cut down or even waive the $199 2-year contract price on the Nokia Lumia, I'll pounce immediately. That's all I'm waiting for.

You can get it now for $109 on Amazon. Verizon has historically done July 4th sales, but I haven't actually seen anything this year for them.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Well TMobile 635 has an actual date now, still not poo poo for 8.1 devices from AT&T though. :(

http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/07/01/power-packed-lumia-635-launches-u-s/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

smr posted:

Nokia 925 with 8.1 that says "no new updates" available and I have two questions:

1) How the gently caress do I tell if I have app updates available or not? The old store had a pretty obvious "4 apps need updating" or whatever, I don't see anything similar here.
2) Best recommended podcast app at this point?

Do you have it set to automatically install updates? Store -> settings and check for updates to force. You can see what it has installed in store -> downloads -> history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Did GMail deletes change in 8.1 or something?

I've noticed now that when I delete messages on my phone, they are just "archived", which is a godawful behavior, regardless of what the settings are in the IMAP settings page on my gmail account.

I can't find anything else on the phone settings or GMail settings that would explain this behavior, and it's ONLY happening to messages that get deleted on my phone, not any other devices.

Now I get to cleanup a shitton of unwanted messages, thanks Google for dropping EAS. :(