Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

wookieepelt posted:

She's programmed to be female, as is Siri.

Siri has male and female voices though (Some countries/languages default to the male voice). Cortana only has the female voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

If you tell Google Now to tell you a joke, it Googles "joke" for you.

"Okay Google, tell me a joke.... I didn't ask you to google for Windows Phone"

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Windows Phone - Microsoft has great iOS and Android apps!

Wordflow (on Windows and the third party keyboards) should suggest emoji if you type in the word, then you can auto correct to replace it with the emoji.

Also I'm not a big fan of third party keyboards on iOS because Apple's API for it is garbage. Wordflow is okay but it suffers from the same limitations.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

CalvinandHobbes posted:

The pixel really is the bar none best android phone at the moment. That said, the android groove app is insanely bad. downloading music to the phone frequently generates an error and stops all downloads in the queue, there's no download manager so you can't see which song has an error and cancel that song to restart downloads, and the app frequently won't play any music unless you wait 3-10 minutes or restart the app 3-4 times. Spotify free is a better experience then groove with a pass on android at the moment. I guess that's the one place where Microsoft realized you can create some loyalty with ecosystem lock in

I haven't had those issues with the Groove app on Android. I have dogfood builds that are ahead of production ones, but I don't think they're that far ahead. If anything, I would go so far as to say that Groove on Android (and to a lesser extent iOS) are better than on Windows 10.

The Android app has a better UI, with quick list support and better Artist Images it pulls down. Downloading files on Windows 10 takes forever and the download status page is useless because it tends to batch downloads together, leaving everything at 100% even though it's not done yet. Very annoying. I don't have these issues with Android. In all of the apps though, I don't think it handles buffering very well. Most of the release notes between versions seem to try and address that, but it always seems to stop playing the minute I don't have good signal, even if I just played a song, which would make me think it's cached on the system and not re-streaming it.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I got an HP Elite X3 from Swappa a few weeks ago, because I'm willing to buy other peoples purchasing mistakes and make them my own!

The hardware on it is great. Much much better than the Lumia 950 XL, it actually feels like a premium phone. The fingerprint sensor on the back is nice, and even the Iris scanner on the front is faster. Not having glance is meh, but getting back into the phone quicker with the fingerprint sensor makes up for it. Also, the camera is not as good as the Lumia, but it works well enough that it's not a major issue. It's serviceable. The front-facing speakers are great, and can get very loud, and the display is one of the better ones I've seen on phones too. Hell, even the dock is nice.

Biggest issue? It runs Windows Phone. And with that, I couldn't recommend it to anyone. But if you can find it for less than MSRP like I did and you, for whatever reason, want a newer Windows Phone, it's pretty good. But having said that, it won't replace my iPhone 7+ as my daily driver.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Stick100 posted:

Why buy a phone you won't use daily? Just a development device?

Mostly, yeah. I have a Nexus 6P for the same reason. Nice to have around when I do dogfooding of Xamarin stuff.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Stick100 posted:

So this is what this thread has come down to, the only reason to buy a Win Phone is if you work for MS. And even then only as a dev. device not to carry.

I've owned and used Windows Phones before the company I work for got acquired by Microsoft. I'm a developer who's made apps for several platforms, and generally like trying out different devices. I'm not most consumers. For them, I would say not to buy into this platform right now because there's a good chance it won't have the apps they want or need. Microsoft could change that by marketing out devices more and making developing for the platform more compelling, for example, but they are not right now.

The Elite X3 is not aimed at consumers at all. It's for enterprise and for that it might be a good fit. Hell, the hardware and software are made for it, and setting it up for my work accounts was a breeze compared to iOS and Android, which is expected. You're probably going to be given the phone rather than buying it, but you can if you want to. And if you're super into Windows Phone, and understand the current state of its apps and are cool with it, then it's a good buy. Most people are not either of those cases, so they shouldn't get it, even though the phone itself is quite nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Are there any Windows phones that support Quick Charging or anything like that? Preferably something in the budget range.

Lumia 950 and 950 XL support it, as does the Elite X3. Not budget phones, but you can find 950's around preowned for good prices... for a windows Phone anyway.