Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Martytoof posted:

Oh wow, this is the bee's knees. Thanks!

Looking for a replacement for my OG iPad and was thinking about a Windows RT tab and the lack of a good youtube thing was kind of holding me back. Looks like this may put me over the edge :)

For windows 8/rt, I would go with Hyper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

:woop:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
In case anyone actually wanted to try out the Windows Phone version of my forums app, you can check it out here. I'm at Publish right now, and since I submitted it and another app for the event, I can give a demonstration of its features and show it off.

Which means I'm going straight to FYAD or BYOB and showing off those threads to a bunch of other developers and Microsoft people. Wish me luck! :v:

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 17, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
So my app was named the best Windows Phone app of the NYC publish event! I got some stories from the event that I'll post later. My prize was a Lumia 1520, but it's locked to AT&T. I tried to contact them to get it unlocked, but the CSR would not do it. Not sure why...

Does anyone know of a cheap site to get it unlocked?

Also, holy poo poo it's huge.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

ljw1004 posted:

Congrats! Interested to hear your stories.

Some random thoughts on using your app...

Thanks! Again for most people I would still recommend using Awful., but I do have stuff that he does not have (like previews of posts, better quoting). I just wanted to try making another Universal app. If nothing else, you can use mine for posting :v:.

If you go into the settings on the main forum page, you can see their is an option to go straight to bookmarks on launch. Using that will both launch the bookmarks page and fire the command to get the threads. Technically I am sending the request for the bookmarks when view first loads, but it does not seem to actually fire it until you move to that pivot section.

The bookmark view count is not updating because, in the move to making this universal, I broke the binding :v:. It should be fixed soon, I just never noticed it.

Tabbing is also something I'm interested in. Awful. has it if you want it right now, but once I get other bugs fixed I do want to tackle it at some point.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Some brief notes on the 1520:

* It's huge.

* I actually used the AT&T Device Unlock portal and got an unlock code for free! And it seems to work on T-Mobile LTE! Screw you CSR!

* The screen is fantastic. Watching videos on it is amazing.

* The speaker is pretty good. Not as good as my iPhone 5S, but it can fill a room with sound.

* By having a screen this big, the huge Xbox Music header is not that annoying :v:.

* Holy poo poo it's huge.

I like it, but I'm not sure if I could use it as a daily driver. It's not bad, not by a long shot, but I'm not a fan of huge phones like this. But this might win me over, who knows. :)

Sri.Theo posted:

It's great- scrolling works properly! Out of interest are you still working on the app or was it just for demo purposes?

Because I would love to request a low bandwidth mode that doesn't download images!

I'm still working on it and will be updating it. I just wanted to make it clear that it's not as fully featured as the Awful. app. I would be interested in adding a no images mode; I'm pretty sure someone asked me about it for the Windows 8 app, so I'll try that out soon.

ljw1004 posted:

Interested to hear your stories.

:siren: WARNING: :words: :siren:

As I said before, //Publish is a sort of extension to //Build. Build is all about building the app, Publish is about getting it onto the store. It's a Hackathon meant for those who are really close to finishing their apps, but for one reason or another have not gotten it uploaded yet. Like maybe you don't have enough beta testers, or you need to test it on other hardware. For me, this was great. I had a few apps (like Awful Forum Reader) that were mostly done, but needed that final push. There were a few others there who, like me, were close already to getting something in, but just wanted to get more testing in.

But honestly, we were the minority. I'm only speaking for the NYC event, where around 50 or so people turned up, but most of the other people there either

- Never made Windows 8 / Windows Phone apps before.

- Made some App Builder apps, and were trying to port that to the other platform.

- Made apps before, but were either really basic or did not have anything on hand and were going to make it from scratch.

Before the hackathon even began, we complained about the prizes. Their were four categories; Best Windows Phone 8.1 app, Best Windows 8.1 app, Best cross platform app, and Best app design. The first place winner would get a Dell Venue 8 inch tablet. Second place would get a Lumia 1520. Now, as you could guess, having a $200 tablet be first place and a $600+ smartphone be second is kinda nuts. Also I have a Surface Pro 2. I don't need another tablet, but I would love to replace my nearly broken 920. They then changed the rules, saying whoever won first could pick which prize they wanted, and second would get the other one, which was fine with us.

During the event, there was a web page set up so we could see what was going on at other Publish events around the world. We could also check in the apps we were working on, and see how many of those apps were submitted to the store. While the apps being worked on counter slowly increased throughout the day, the submitted number remained static, hovering around 15 or so. Note that this was the worldwide count, with about 1800 people participating. By the end of the first day at the NYC Publish, only myself and three other people actually submitted something to the store. Only ten people actually checked in the apps they were working on. You could tell the Microsoft people were kinda down about it, but they held out hope for the next day. Oh, and on day two they removed the "Apps published" counter from the website :v:.

By the end of day one, I submitted CrouMetro, my Croudia client to the store. Now, a Japanese SNS app is not exactly a system seller for a platform which has less than one percent market share in Japan, but the Microsoft people were really happy withe the app itself and were impressed with the technical stuff I put in. But a funny thing did happen when I showed one of the tech evangelist what I had done. He said to me,

"Wow, that's awesome! But what language is that?"
I said, "It's Japanese. It's for a Japanese social network."
To which he replied "But you're not Japanese!"

I think I know what he meant by that. I think he was going for "It's interesting that you're making an app that's entirely not in your own language." But the way he said it was really funny. I've never heard anyone say that to me before. I mean, it's true, but... I don't know, it's weird.

By the end of the night, I got Awful Forums Reader published (See: a few posts above), so I had two apps submitted and published to the store. I spent parts of the second day trying to make a Windows 8 version for CrouMetro, but instead just went into bug fixing for Awful Forums Reader. A few other people got their stuff in, but most of the other people were freaking out. A few apps somehow failed certification, some were just not ready. In the end, if I recall correctly, only ten or eleven people got their apps submitted in time. Of those, only a few were new universal apps (mine technically are universal, but I released the Windows 8 portion well before the event, so they don't count). One of them was a Windows Phone 8 app, which was against the rules, but they let it slide. As stated above, those who submitted apps had to give a presentation on their app to the assembled Microsoft group. This was even worse for me because I had two, and one is in Japanese.

First I talked about CrouMetro. It blew most of those in the audience away, mostly because they had no idea what I was showing them.

I did the best I could in any case. I even gave a live demonstration of making a post.

Post linked here

Those are the judges of the event, all looking at my projected Windows Phone desktop showing my viewfinder, rather than at the camera itself.
After that, I showed Awful Forums Reader. A few people there knew SA, but as far as I know there were no other Goons, only people who read the front page. I did not have enough time to go into FYAD, but we did show off some random GBS threads.

There were a few other apps presented that I did really like. The first guy who went up had a game which I think is called "Tappy Dog". I could not find it in the store yet though. Although I thought, based on the name, that it would be a flappy bird clone, this actually was a bit more clever. It's a simple game where you just tap on boxes to move your dog from the start to the finish line.You tap green boxes to go forward, red to go backward. The boxes switch positions each time you tap. Now, the impressive bit is that it uses SignalR to link Windows Phone and Windows 8 tablets, so multiple people can play together. It's not that complex a game, and the guy is not a graphical artist as the art was very poor, but I was impressed by the technical aspects of it.

The other was a Unity game, built for Windows Phone and Windows 8. I don't remember the name of it, but it was also a simple game where you had to tap on shift-able boxes. Not sure if there is a trend of shifting box games out there, but whatever. It was a "retro" looking game, but putting that aside it ran great and at least looked impressive.

As for the other apps... well... Yeah. They were not nearly as interesting. I'm not going to poo poo on the other devs, because it's clear that they had either just starting working on apps or otherwise did not have much programming experience in general.

For example, Metro North NYC. Now, the guy who made this did have some skills, in so much as he made a web service for getting MTA data into a web service for getting Metro times. But the app itself is very simple. And seriously, a brown header? Yuk. There are already several MTA and transit apps on the store, so I don't see much reason for this one anyway. Oh, and Metro North won first place for best app design.

This is Parker's Minecraft. An app technically made by the devs eight year old son. And when I say "made" I mean, "Used app builder". All it does is link to youtube videos of minecraft. That's it. There are also ads in the app, which is hosed up because the videos being linked to don't have any, so he is making money off of other peoples work. :argh:. He won an "Honorable mention" award, and was given a remote controlled car that can be used with Windows Phone.

The rest were just bare bones basic. Again, it was clear they had never made apps like this before.

So "CrouMetro", "Tappy Dog", the other tapping game, and "Metro North" all won first place in different categories. You could tell they were a bit hesitant about the second place winners, because they were the lower quality, lower effort apps. But they had no choice. However, because of their decision at the start of the hackathon to allow the winner to pick what prize they wanted, all of us first place winners picked the Lumia 1520. If they did not make that change, we would have rioted.

I talked with the judges afterward to see if they actually liked what they saw, rather than just giving me first for Windows Phone because the other apps were not good. They told me they legitimately thought I had a great app. They were impressed that I actually knew what I was talking about (I was the only one who explained how the views they were seeing were created), had competent custom controls to handle image loading (My images show real placeholders, then fade in the actual image), has proper view models, and that I cared about the design. That made me feel better. I should have given them my resume.

So yeah, that's about it. I'm not sure about the other events but I'm hopping some good poo poo came out of the other ones. I still enjoyed going; I loved talking directly with Microsoft people, asking about specific Windows questions and getting more or less straight answers. Hell, I got to argue about the state of WPF being/not being dead. I just wish there were more normal developers I could have talked to.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Stick100 posted:

I work in a largish city where the majority of developers work on Microsoft technologies. We have several companies that had large Silverlight projects and several WPF projects. Oh as a side note all of those companies have abandoned Silverlight for HTML/Javascript. I have met one other person that has ever even looked at the Windows Phone Developer or Windows 8 tools. And that was because he was taking over my position at a major carrier that was required to have an WP8 developer. I have met about a hundred each of iOS/Android developers. I'm guessing the NYC event was probably one of the very best //Publish events outside of Redmond. The number and quality of WP8/W8 developers is absolutely a joke. The only way to really turn about WP8/W8 development would be for Microsoft to outright buy Xamarian and include it in all Visual Studio MSDN accounts professional and up.That way MS would have a mobile development store (use Visual Studio publish to everything Native including our own). In total it would probably be easier for MS to just Abandon WP boost up Nokia X, get a total suite of comparable services and relaunch WP9 as a highly customized Android skin.

If MS didn't have the free phones / $100 promotions their app store would have ten of thousands of entries at most.

I have a Xamarin license and do make C# iOS apps with it. I brought my iPhone with me, and I was asked why I would bother having an iPhone and told them straight that iOS has above 50% market share in Japan right now. Windows Phone is at or below 1%. Even BlackBerry has more users. Since some of my apps are intended for that audience, why would I go to a place with few, if any, users? Users would bought their phones outright because they are not on any carrier?

I don't think the NYC event was the most successful outside of HQ though. They were surprised so few showed, and the other live events seemed to have more people. But don't have specific numbers :shrug:.

I'm also pretty sure going to Android would not help them. But I do think giving out the tools to make cross-platform apps could help them out however, or at the very least get everyone writing C# code. It would help me out anyway.

On a more happier topic, here are some pictures I took with the 1520. And of course, it's food. Because why not. That's what half of my twitter and croudia feeds are :v:.

:3:
I also took some other ones, and comparing it with my iPhone 5S I would say that the iPhone still takes better general pictures. But the 1520 still does a drat fine job, and having that many megapixels is amazing.

EDIT: Forgot some words up there :doh:

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 18, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Lance Streetman posted:

I tried downloading Drastic Action's app, but it says my phone can't download it. I've got a 928 and all the software is up to date, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Any ideas?

It's a Windows phone 8.1 app. You have to upgrade to it.

If you have, and it still fails... Then I'm not sure. :shrug:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Combat Pretzel posted:

How exactly does Glance work on Lumia phones with AMOLED? Is it always displaying something, or does it show something for a short while only, when the proximity sensor tells the phone that I pulled it out of the pocket?

It has multiple settings. You can have it be always on, or have it on when you pick up the phone. There is also an option to have it always on when it's charging.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 19, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
So this power button issue is also happening on the 1520. So it was not my 920 acting up, it's just an issue in general. I can't turn off the phone, I can't actually get the screen on without unplugging it. I have no idea what to do :(.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

OldPueblo posted:

You can always turn on double-tap to wake in the meantime.

Does not work, I can't launch the phone at all. Not even the camera button. If it gets in that state, I have to hard reset. :(

EDIT: I think it has to do with volume space. The moment I start to add a lot of music to my phone, it starts acting like that.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 20, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Pork Pie Hat posted:

On a side note, is this the thread to ask dumb questions about making windows phone apps, or is there somewhere else for that?

There is no Modern app development thread yet. I've been wanting to start one, but I don't know what should go in the OP. You can just post in here for now if you have questions; there are a few of us who can help out. :)

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
So now my 1520 won't boot into 8.1 at all. I just get a BSOD every time I restart. I've formatted it back to 8.0, and I'm going to try upgrading again and seeing if something screwed up along the way, but I'm not sure what's happening. :(

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Another update for Xbox music. Still slow as gently caress, but some decent usability improvements.

- Swipe up/down to change tracks.
- Album art now takes up more of the screen, the ridiculously huge XBOX MUSI- now shrunken to actually fit on the screen. I hope this is a trend to move away a bit from metro's religious overuse of huge typography that limits the space for on-screen controls.

So the seek bar is now a little bit more usable, controls in general are easier to hit with your thumb. Still gotta get that performance up though.

If you play a song in the app, leave the app and pause the song with the volume control buttons and return to the app, the seek bar will not be in the right location and the play button will still be a pause icon. Also if the artist has a backdrop image and you change tracks, for me it reloads the image and flickers while doing so, even though it's the same artist.

But yeah, these are minor issues when placed next to "App crashes at launch fifty percent of the time" and "List view displays blank artists when scrolling". It has come a long way, but there is still so much left to do.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Stubb Dogg posted:

If Xylo or any of you other MS guys haven't already heard about this, there's interesting bug that happens when you copy n' paste stuff from WP7 Silverlight app to WP81 universal app.

Write some text in any textfield in 7.x Silverlight app, in this case I used old IMDB app. Select and copy it.

Hop over to new 8.1 universal app, here it's new Calendar app (moonspeak edition), paste selection and watch how random crap gets appended to text.

I can reproduce it with just about any WP7.x/WP81 universal app combo, first ran into when using Drastic Action's forum reader and 7Pass.

Speaking of bugs, I think I've figured out the source of my (what I think are) wake lock issues. It's from my PSN FoulPlay app. Sometimes when I run it, it'll cause Windows Phone 8.1 to freak out. Again, the power button won't turn the phone on or off, parts of the UI won't render, it basically breaks everything. The thing is, I have no idea what's causing my app to do it. I mean, everything on my side seems okay. I can't debug it when it happens. There are no memory leaks and no CPU spikes. My other apps don't have this issue, it's only FoulPlay from what I can tell.

I've now pulled it from the Windows Phone store. The Windows 8 version is totally fine. This is driving me insane :(.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Combat Pretzel posted:

I was talking about SpriteKit.

Well, at least there is Monogame now, which takes XNA and puts it on more platforms. Maybe Microsoft could throw their weight behind it, seeing all they are doing with Xamarin/Mono now.
I mean, I know they would be getting behind a platform they themselves threw out, but... eh, I don't know. :shrug:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I think pivot's are slightly broken in the new build. If you use the horizontal view in a WinRT app, switch back to portrait and then go back, you will get this.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Stick100 posted:

Windows Phone Devs. I discovered another reason not to develop for windows phone. If you install the Windows Phone development tools you install Hyper-V. Installing Hyper-V removes your computers ability to adjust the speed of the processor.

If you've noticed at some point in recent history your computer getting really hot and a much shorter batter life you might want to uninstall Hyper-V and seeing if you can get your computer to drop the CPU frequency when not under load.

I've had the SDK on my Surface Pro 2, and it continued to run just fine. I'm also pretty sure that it only uses Hyper-V for the emulators, and if I recall you don't have to install them.

I mean, there are many reasons not to develop for Windows Phone at this point; but this does not seem to be one of them.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Speaking of apps, I'll be putting up a new build of awful forums reader hopefully tonight. It should fix a bunch of issues, such as refreshing the bookmarks page rather than clearing it and the Edit button wrapping in the web view.

Also this:

Adding themes back, starting with YOSPOS.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
On the one hand,I don't want to pick on the Xbox music team to much. Totally revamping their app can't be easy, and I know how it is when you have to go through a massive refactoring effort like this.

On the other hand...

Every time I change artists, I got a 50/50 shot of having the album art xaml break (The band actually playing is not the album it thinks it is.), leaving me unable to change the song with any of the controls without restarting the app. :argh:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Another issue I have with Xbox music as a service is its tendency to lump multiple artists together. For example:

The artist I want is "Marbles", the album on top is correct, and it and their first album are listed as on the service, but the rest on it are by other artists with similar names.

Once again, :argh:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Now that Twitter supports GIF animations (kinda), I wonder how Microsoft Twitter are going to add it to the Windows Phone app. Animations are not supported in Image holders in neither Silverlight nor WinRT. I kinda want that support for my own apps though, so maybe they will add that to WinRT and therefore Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1... yeah, probably not :(.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

wormil posted:

My Windows phone should be here this week. I'm getting the gist that I should not upgrade to 8.1?

Well... Once I figured out my problem was with one of my apps (because of a WinRT bug, but still my issue), I have not had any other major issue with the OS. Now Xbox music... yeah. But it should be good.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Yeah, someone on my twitter feed mentioned that yesterday. I still wish GIFs were available in image controls, but I guess this is the next best thing.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

That, combined with a a lot of promising stuff shown at Google I/O (I really like the new design direction of Android), and with MS continuing to struggle with such advanced features as "Play several music tracks in a row", I can't see the point or much hope that MS really gets it other than continually touting some mystical synergistic future where the ever-lasting promise of "universal apps" apps actually has something tangible in terms of net gains for the desktop/phone user (frankly Apple demonstrated a huge portion of what I would actually want from that as opposed to running crappy phone apps on my PC, but the off-contract price of iPhones and making GBS threads desktop selection makes that somewhat of a non-starter for me to migrate to it as my main platform).

Speaking as someone who has made two "Universal Apps" so far, I would say it is a massively good thing from a development standpoint. It's so much easier to take an existing Windows 8 app and port it down to the phone, or create a new app that supports both form factors. It does things that you could have kinda already done with portable class libraries, but it makes the process much simpler. Universal Apps are not "Phone apps on your PC"; it's taking the same base code and using it on both platforms. Sure, technically you could run the same views on both, but Microsoft (and common sense) suggests new views for that support each platform. Development issues are not the big problem with universal apps. It's the actual logistics of creating an app in the first place. Why bother when there are so few users? If you want to make money off of it, you're probably going to get screwed.

I started using my iPhone again, mostly because the music situation and that I actually want to use my Pebble as a smartwatch again. Android Wear looks amazing, specifically the Moto 360, and I would get a new Nexus device just so I could use it. Windows Phone does not even support the Pebble yet.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

ElGroucho posted:

Can someone with the 1520 tell me whether it is worth paying the extra money for Qi charging? Is that really the only benefit to the international model?

Having had a 920 and a 1520, Qi charging is nice to have. But I don't know if I would call it necessary. I think the international model supports more bands, but the AT&T one supports T-Mobile LTE which is all I cared about.

Speaking of which, I'm selling my 1520. I kinda wanna save that money and get a better (read: smaller) model if and when the new high end devices come out.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

sleepwalkers posted:

The Moto X does the same thing better, honestly.

And Glance doesn't work in the 930, so who knows if future models will have it anyway :(.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Wifi may not be that common depending on where you are, you might listen to non English music not available on major streaming services, streaming services might not be available or be terrible in your country, you might not be able to swing a monthly fee, you might just like having the same song on repeat some days, etc etc.

That's why I like Google Play Music. I can throw all of my (legally purchased off of iTunes) Japanese music into the music locker and access it anywhere, and it's free on top of it. Unless I'm on Wifi I don't stream from it, but I do rotate pin albums for offline listening. There is no Windows Phone client for it beyond some decent third-party clients, but they only go so far.

But having streaming apps is no excuse for not having a decent music/sync app though. It's a valid workflow that Windows Phone completely fails on at the moment.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Factor Mystic posted:

Hypothetical: If there was a Windows Phone app that connected to cloud service(s) where your personal music collection was stored, and streamed the files down to your phone, what's an acceptable price? Free only otherwise forget it? $2.99? $3.99?

An acceptable price? I guess it depends on how much space it offers and what other services it provides. Google's music locker is free and let's you store 20,000 songs (more than enough for me) so that kinda wins by default. Xbox Music/OneDrive was rumored for awhile to offer a music locker service at some point, which would be great as it works on more platforms. If it was free with whatever OneDrive storage you have that would be cool too, but I'm flexible I guess. It depends on the features. The real key is having a base app that works at all :v:.

Having a music locker service helps get around the holes these services have. Most of them don't have the music I want, so I can fill them in myself.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
So the Xbox Music team is opening up their APIs even more, with access to music streaming and other authenication features. (Technically it was announced at Build, but it's more available now)

I'm really tempted to create an Awful Music® app, so we can have a music player that can use Xbox Music and won't be totally crap. If anyone has any design ideas or features they want, let me know. If I actually do start something, I'll throw something up in Project.log.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

LentThem posted:

I'd love the ability to tap a song in a playlist and have it play that one instead of some other song.

Oh also, WinPhone 8.1 sorts apps in the All Apps list really strangely. In WP8 when you look at the alphabet index, the Globe symbol is always used for apps with non-English names. In this example, I'll use 虾米 (Xiami in pinyin, a music app).

In 8.1, the Globe section is now empty, and all non-English apps are sorted by letters that wouldn't even exist in the local language. For example, 虾米 shows up under X (for "Xia").

This isn't really a bad thing, because at least it's now sorted better than "dump all non-English apps into the same section together." But then, why is the Globe icon still in the sorting list? It's defunct, and just fills space when it doesn't need to.

Edit: And as an interesting bit of UI consistency, Xbox Music app doesn't even bother with a Globe icon in the album/artist sorting index, and instead uses "..." which is an interesting place to shove non-English titles. Though for some reason, none of my music with Chinese artists shows up in that section, and instead ends up in U for "Unknown artist."

That's weird. For Japanese, the list picker supports Kana selection, so if an title is written in Hiragana or Katakana, it gets sorted under the base character. If it's written in Kanji it gets put under the globe. However this only occurs if you set the default language to Japanese. If it's in english, everything gets put under the globe, as it were.

So I started working on that music app. Not sure how far I'll get, but I do have a basic SQLite database up and running, and an indexer for getting Artists, albums, and tracks. It also pulls information from various music sources: Xbox Music, Deezer, and Last.FM. Now, no matter where you are in the world, you can actually get artist and album information for all of your music! Most of this base code I wrote for the VLC for Windows 8 project, so I just cleaned it up and moved it over.

(This is just to show I have artists in a list view, it's not the final UI. :v:)

I still have a long, long way to go, but it's a start. If anyone wants to do some XAML design or has more feature requests, let me know. Right now my mission is just to do the basics: Make sure music plays correctly and is always indexed right.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 4, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I bought a Lumia 521, so I could have an actual Windows Phone for development again. I figured I would go with a cheap one since if I target that, and it runs really well, then it should run awesome on higher end stuff. And man is it low end. I'm not accustom to having such a low end phone so it's weird not having things like a front facing camera, or a good screen. But for what I need, and for what most Windows Phone users have, this works just fine. I'm upgrading it to 8.1 right now.

The best thing about it is the Camera. It's way better than the HTC One M8... but that's not saying much :v:.

EDIT: I've made some more advancements on Awful Music, recorded off of said Lumia 521.

I gotta make my lazy image loading stuff work better, you should not see any popups like that :v:.
It does play music now, with background audio. I have a very very basic UI that supports it, but it's still mostly to keep hacking away at the back end stuff. The biggest idea I have for the UI at the moment is to make sure the music controls are always on screen, no matter where you are in the app. The XAML pages are all in a root frame, with the controls at the bottom. Right now it's just the default Media element controls, but I'm cooking up my own right now. I'm also thinking about making them expandable, so if, say, you're driving, or want big buttons and sliders to change tracks or the time in the song, you'll be able to.

I like the big artists artwork though. I really wanted to show that off :3:

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 6, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Factor Mystic posted:

Cool. I also decided to back up my trash talking and put my money where my mouth is, and write a music app myself. Yours looks better than mine at the moment.

In the battle to prove how bad Xbox Music is, no matter who wins, we all win because Xbox Music is just that bad.

Nice! I wish you luck. I'm going to put my stuff on my github at some point. It's the first time I've used AutoFac, and doing a bunch of other XAML techniques so I really need to clean up my code some more. But it's getting better and better the more I bang away at it.

Anyway, made some more changes to the UI. I figured out that it kinda sucked the way it was. My goal is to make the targets really big, so that it's easy to operate when, say, driving. The one above looks okay, but it's a real pain in the rear end to use this way.

That's a bit better I think. It scales with the device too, so the bigger the screen, the more albums fit in the grid and such. And it's virtualized too, which helps performance (and means I don't have to do it myself :v:).

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 9, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I'm still working on Awful Music, and I think I found a bug with BackgroundMediaPlayer. When you transition tracks, it will play a blip of the first few milliseconds of audio from the previous track. No matter what I do (use files, stream as a media source), it never goes away. It does not happen if you skip tracks though, only if you let it switch on its own. :(

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The XboxMusic app has demonstrated that since the WP 8.1 preview, so it's been around for a while.

All of their audio is going through the same APIs, so that makes sense. Shame it's not fixed though. Kinda don't want people thinking it's a bug in my app (on top of all the other ones it's sure to have :v:).

Bought a used 1020, should arrive at some point. I can't stay away from Windows Phone for too long (even though it probably won't get a sim in it and will primarily be used for development).

EDIT: Holy poo poo, I bought it on Swappa, and I just realized I bought it from a Goon who used my Awful app. It's on their home screen. :3:

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 15, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Got my goon owned Lumia 1020 earlier today. It fits much better in my hands, and that camera really is something to behold. Too bad it's a bit slow though. Also, it's yellow :3:. Oh yeah, Xbox Music still sucks. Took five attempts for it to actually start scanning for music, and when it finished I had to restart the app to actually see it. Great job guys! :thumbsup:

I should be dogfooding my own app soon enough though. Having a device I can actually use on a regular basis will help out with that effort.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

wookieepelt posted:

Let me know if you want help testing your music app.

When it's ready, I'll make it an open beta. It's not even close to that yet though. I'll post more as I update it.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Maneki Neko posted:

As depressing as this thread is, moments like that end up being more depressing, because I have hard time imagining anyone actually using many of the features in 8.0/8.1 and thinking "this is good enough to ship".

Be happy you at least have Cortana. I don't get voice commands at all. :(

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I see your point, but better question is, "Why can't HERE be updated to accept routes from Cortana?"

Or, why isn't Corta a using HERE to create routes?

It could be, but something may have happened that caused it to changes routes. When it comes to specific instances like this, I'm more likely to be forgiving of the software. It's not like Google Maps is 100% all the time. When they are working on it, I'm sure it did work for the vast amount of situations. It just failed here.

Now, things like Xbox Music, where nothing really works for anyone, have no such excuses.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 18, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

LifeSizePotato posted:

A lot of my complaints about WP stem from my impression that nobody at MS actually uses the phone and thinks about how they'd improve anything. It seems like everything is created in a sealed office somewhere, and nobody is ever out with their phone saying "I wish it could do this useful thing" or "why does it do it like this, this is unintuitive and clunky" and then making actual changes happen.

Having been to the Microsoft campus before, everyone uses Windows phone. I don't think I saw anyone not using one who was not working on some iOS/Android app.

As far as I know, it's hard just to say "Hey, this sucks, I think it should function like this!". There is a lot of bureaucracy when it comes to these kinds of things. Being a developer at a software company, it's a pain to give feature requests to project managers where I'm at right now. It's gotta be n-times harder at Microsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
So a quick update:

1. Making more progress on awful music. It's starting to become somewhat useable!

2. I actually started making updates to Awful forums viewer again. So expect some nice stuff soon on that.

3. The 1020 is nice, but the 1520 feels higher quality to me. That being said, the camera is a bit better.

I also took the 520 out for a little bit. I don't know how anyone deals with it. It's not "bad", but there are so many better phones for not much more money. Dealing with the performance issues is a pain, but hopefully it will make my app better for all phones.