Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

MyFaceBeHi posted:

If it's for what I used to do, it would probably be when you are travelling abroad and you don't have an international data plan. Fortunately I don't have to worry about that anymore. :smug:

Don't know about you, but my 620 has a "don't roam" option for mobile data right in the Settings > Mobile Network screen. It's the default. My phone has never used data when abroad, without me toggling anything when crossing the border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

loquacius posted:

Not in the case of Chrome -- even if they wanted to (although you are correct in that they don't), Google couldn't write a native Chrome browser for WP. Browser engine's locked down.

Technically they could, there shouldn't be any technical obstacles, but MS would never allow it onto the store.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Is there seriously no way to open my 920 up at work like a USB drive to transfer photos to OneDrive when using XP? The windows transfer app doesn't work on XP.

loving hell

Why the gently caress are you using a 12 year old OS that (finally!) went out of support a month ago?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Doomsday Jesus posted:

It is a developer preview. I am boggled as to why everyone is expecting flawless software or constant updates.

I for one would expect more frequent updates on beta software.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

So the Xbox Music team is opening up their APIs even more, with access to music streaming and other authenication features. (Technically it was announced at Build, but it's more available now)

I'm really tempted to create an Awful Music app, so we can have a music player that can use Xbox Music and won't be totally crap. If anyone has any design ideas or features they want, let me know. If I actually do start something, I'll throw something up in Project.log.

A custom file library implementation with custom tag reading, if that's possible at all. Anything that doesn't depend on the broken music library and poor tag reading in vanilla WP8 would be amazing. The actual playback would naturally still have to be via the system libraries.
I don't care for streaming music myself, not on the phone at least.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

When you say you don't care for streaming music, are you meaning that you're uninterested in casual radio-like auto-curated services (like Pandora) or that you don't care for the on-demand transport of music to your device?

When I want to listen to music on my phone, I'm usually on the move, and then I don't have access to wifi. I don't want to spend cellular data on music streaming.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Radbot posted:

Anyone on here ever used a Nokia 521 for offline navigation? I've heard the maps/nav offline are pretty decent, and at $50 the phone is cheaper than any purpose-made device.

No, but I have used a WP 7.5 device for offline navigation. I very much like it, but then I don't have much to compare with. The quality of HERE Drive hasn't really changed from WP 7.5 to 8.0. My experience is with Denmark and Sweden, I don't know how maps for other places compare.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Didn't they (some really long time ago) talk about 8.1 or something having a way for 3rd party applications to integrate properly with call receiving, and directly into the call placing interface too? And that at least Skype would be doing that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Well, looks like 8.1 has finally arrived for my 620. Looking forward to getting it, and hope nothing breaks.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Best thing about 8.1 so far is that they fixed the Danish keyboard. It had lost a lot of functionality in 8.0 compared to 7.5 but they finally restored it to full fidelity. Except that I'm missing a dedicated comma key. All the little things...

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

vigorous sodomy posted:

The battery life on my Lumia is garbage. What am I doing wrong? It lasts maybe 2 days before dying.

That's normal for any phone with large display running a general-purpose operating system?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think that's a WP 8.1 thing. It shows a little outwards arrow on the cell network or wifi network status symbol when it's using that link for data.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay that's a cute detail I never saw before. If an SMS fails sending the tile for messaging gets a sad smiley instead of the usual happy one.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

Which one? I did not remove any options. If you want to add a bookmark, or remove one, just long press on a thread in the thread list.

This turns out to be a problem if you find a thread by a link inside another one. Then you have to navigate all the way back to the forum index and look for the thread in the forum listing to bookmark it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Downloaded it and my 400 songs synced successfully. :) One pretty big issue I'm getting just from playing with it is that the music stops playing when the screen goes off or when you switch to another app or back to the home screen. Not right away, it continues playing for a few seconds so originally I thought it was a buffering issue, but now I don't think it is since it starts up again right away when I unlock the phone.

I experienced that on my 620, but only when I had no headphones plugged in. It refused to play without the app in foreground when playing through the built-in speaker, but worked fine in the background when playing through headphones.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

TopherCStone posted:

Does anybody use multiple email accounts on their Windows Phone? I just set up a second one on my phone and I can't really tell how to switch between inboxes.

I have two and have had three accounts (all Google hosted) set up on my phone. It has simply created a separate tile for each account automatically. They also show up as separate items on the "all apps" list.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Anywhere that presentation is being streamed?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

Oh good, messaging app is going back to not being retarded and rolling multiple services back in.

I was just about to post that.

I think they also previously talked about wanting IP phone services to integrate with the phone app. I think that's coming too, now.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Music app will support playback from OneDrive. Seems it's also coming to 8.1 in already a month or so.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Windows 10 Phone preview in February.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Plain Windows desktop programs written in any language can get multitouch too, there's nothing special about WinRT or .NET that allows only them to get touch things. Developer docs for the touch API, as far as I can tell it appeared in Windows 7.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Win32 Touch API I linked there is really entirely low level, as well as has some higher level wrappers. You can get touch input (user places finger on screen, user moves finger on screen, user lifts finger from screen) and do whatever you want with it.

If by a "touch target" you mean any section of screen that reacts to a tap, well sure you can do that. If you mean a target that is actually larger than the displayed element, e.g. 2 mm margin outside a button that also reacts to input, allowing the user to hit less precisely, sure you can do that. It's not built in, but you can do that. You can probably write yourself a basic framework for it in a few days, maybe they even already exist.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

I signed up for the beta, but it says I don't have permission to download. I'm in Australia, maybe you have to do something different to make it work in my region?

I also get that message with DA's store links, but just have to click another link to get to the right page.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Considering getting a replacement for my Lumia 620, the 735 seems interesting. (Apart from the "perfect for selfies!" marketing.) Does anyone have experiences with it?
I think it'd get a full-featured upgrade to Windows 10 as well.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Mar 10, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

Two weeks ago I purchased a new phone and I spent a long time considering the 735 as well. I didn't buy it and went for the higher model (930). The 735 just didn't seem like very good value for money for me. It has outdated internals and we know the minimum amount of RAM for full W10 is going to be 1 gig so I personally feared that the 735 would go from fast to only average in the span of a year or whenever W10 is released. It is also missing the camera button one of my favorite things about the lumia phones.

Comparing the specs and prices of 735 and 930 I just don't see the higher specs to be worth a 115% higher price to me. I might miss my camera button, but can probably live without it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Alternative pants posted:

Factor Mystic, maybe my reading comprehension is just shot, but is there a way to get Harmony Music to play under the lock screen?

I believe that's a strange bug that happens on some phones.
For me, when I was beta-testing it, it only happened when I was playing through the phone's speaker, rather than having headphones plugged in.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What are the actual hardware requirements for Glance? A specific sensor? Or is it just artificial market segmentation?
I forgot to check for that before getting my 735, but it's one one thing I'm missing from 620.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Stubb Dogg posted:

IIRC it requires display panel with its own display memory buffer so that SoC can shut down completely while glance is still displaying.

I think main reason why 930 didn't have glance was that sourcing FullHD AMOLED panel with internal buffer would've been either too hard or too expensive, as that tech isn't yet used that much in Android world. From what I heard it was cause of intense debate internally too but tradeoffs had to be made.

Ah. That sucks, but it makes sense from a technical standpoint.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

wormil posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to be so harsh. I can contribute a little more information, it usually crashes (or closes, whatever) within about 10 minutes. Today it took about 20+, the difference is that I uninstalled many apps, removed the sim card, and I have battery saver on all the time. Now if I open the app and just leave it, it doesn't crash, I've left the app open overnight and it was still running in the morning. It seems to crash sooner in picture heavy threads. Hopefully that helps.

Yes that doesn't sound as much as a crash, but more like the OS preemptively killing the app because it's using too much memory. Large pictures = large memory usage, and on the small devices you can easily hit the allowed memory usage threshold. Then you just get killed, "oh that must be a runaway app, better shut it off before it's too late".

The only way I can think of to fix that is to either do sub-pagination, i.e. showing 20, 10, 5 or even just 1 post per page. Or have images loaded and unloaded on demand. The latter would be the only real option for the heaviest GIF dumps and screenshot LP posts.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ElrondHubbard posted:

The 735 does have wireless charging, if you're into that. I don't think the 735 has a glance screen and it has a slightly worse battery. I don't really see the need to pay that much extra for it, since you may as well kick in some more cash at that point and get an 800 or 900 series phone.

I don't use my phone that much through the day, but my 735 can last three days on a charge. That was a massive improvement over my previous 620. The performance difference with 512 MB vs 1 GB of RAM is also impossible to understate.
Yes, it lacks Glance, that's a definite negative. However, I got mine at a really good price, and in a neat, toxic green color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

How are you meant to get another browser without one being built-in in the first place?

A cover CD from a computer magazine, duh.