Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

drat. Thanks anyway xylo. :)

How does it detract to have the option though? And how is "leave data off, then turn it back on when you need it" rare? I mean, it's a minor complaint but also a minor thing to have.

Without being too much of a smug prick, I doubt it's a minor thing in terms of software development costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

My 920 running Lumia Black on AT&T has decided that from about 5 PM to 8 PM, it will not retrieve mail from my company's Exchange servers. We're on Office 365, and even if I tap the round arrows to force a sync, it just says "Syncing . . . " for a bit and then finishes without actually retrieving the mail.

Anyone have this problem before?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Please tell me there's a video of you trying to explain FYAD to the entire gathering.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Back button seems to act as a cancel dialog button pretty much everywhere, although I only discovered it accidentally one day, so it could definitely use some discoverability or at least some documenta-

:stare:

I think you meant to use :staredog:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Because I live in Canada which has poo poo data plans and I'm commuting like four hours every day. It would probably be cheaper to hire a band to sit on the train with me and play music than it would to go over my stupid bitcap by streaming their music :|

I would contribute to your Indiegogo campaign just to see this happen. But only if you adhere to proper CanCon regulations :canada:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Cyan is what Nokia calls 8.1 after they add their Nokia specific stuff.

I think.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

What are the two forum apps? I use the Awful app right now but I'd love to compare them.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

There's 'Awful. (beta)' and 'Awful Forums Reader'

Couldn't find the latter in the store :saddowns:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I'm never going to get 8.1 on my 920 am I :ohdear:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

No I think it just allows you to invoke voice commands or Cortana without actually entering your PIN or whatever.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Anyone else get double notifications from the official Twitter app? Like in the notification center, I see every actual Twitter notification - say for a DM - twice :confused:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

8.1 took a giant poo poo on my battery life :arghfist::(

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Venusy posted:

Basically yeah, as far as I know, they use Jen Taylor for what they can*, which includes any of the pre-planned dialogue (e.g. "tell me a joke"). Everything else, it's the speech synthesis designed to sound as close to Jen Taylor as possible.

*Unless you're in the UK and get Posh Cortana instead, presumably other countries have their own version too.

There's a lot of canned Halo-related dialog as well. Try asking Cortana:

"Who is Catherine Halsey?" Arguably a war criminal :v:

"What is a Halo?" A few different canned responses here. Best one so far: story of an AI who saves the day with her silent sidekick :v:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

So the light sensor on my 920 decided to stop working. Glance doesn't work, notifications don't turn the screen on, and the screen goes black immediately when I'm trying to push keys during a call.

I've tried everything short of a hard reset, and I don't have a screen protector. Anyone have any ideas? :(

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

xylo posted:

Sounds like dust in the proximity sensor. Try using some canned air in the ear hole angled to the right to blow it out.

Thanks for the idea! Will try it tomorrow morning.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

xylo posted:

Sounds like dust in the proximity sensor. Try using some canned air in the ear hole angled to the right to blow it out.

:glomp:

Totally worked. Thanks for the suggestion!

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Maneki Neko posted:

Is the 930 available where you are? That may be your best bet, or you can see what the next few weeks/months brings as Microsoft is supposed to launch phone "soon".

I wouldn't trust anything launched pre-Windows 10 unless there was an ironclad statement saying that it would be upgradable to 10.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

My contract is up in like, two weeks. Where's the new flagship so I can sign my soul over to AT&T for another 2 years, Microsoft? :smith:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Maneki Neko posted:

You can just run Windows 10 on your 4 year old Lumia 920! :)

I'm sure AT&T will devote lots of resources to testing that update :saddowns:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Anyone on AT&T with a 920, on the developer preview? I just got my Band, and the official Cyan 8.1 release is missing a bunch of features for the Band, like Cortana and notifications. I want to update, but I want to not get shafted by bugs in the process.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Yeah that was me, crossposting :shobon:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Kidney Stone posted:

Lovely, didn't notice that :haw:

Pulling it down now. Interestingly, the Health App can sign you up for preview without the other Preview App. Just tap a few yes'es and it started downloading.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Turns out a 0h 0m sleep session will cause the Health app to crash when you tap the sleep tile :saddowns:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Kidney Stone posted:

On the band itself, or in the app? The app crashes if you select to see your sleep pattern... This doesn't happen on Android, so I hope there's an update on the way to fix this.

App. Didn't notice if it crashed for all sleep patterns or just 0h 0m ones.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Kidney Stone posted:

DOn't know if it does it on all Lumia phones - but most of the complaints I've seen, is from people with a Lumia 1020. Would it be something you could test and see if it happens, if you haven't got a 1020?

I don't have access to a 1020, but an app update yesterday fixed the issue for me. I'm on a 920 right now, running dev preview (and had the issue on a 920). After the update I was able to go in and delete the 0h 0m sleeps.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Mr Funkface posted:

Yep, I have this too. No way to delete it. It's also hosed if you try see the entry in the Activity History.

Chasiubao posted:

I don't have access to a 1020, but an app update yesterday fixed the issue for me. I'm on a 920 right now, running dev preview (and had the issue on a 920). After the update I was able to go in and delete the 0h 0m sleeps.

Fixed as of Thursday afternoon for me :)

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Anyone noticing a huge perf hit from 8.1 RTW to 8.1 Dev Preview? I got onto the preview for the Band, and my phone has taken a noticeable dive in performance since then. Everything seems slower, even just the screen turning on in response to the power button is slower.

EDIT: Version is 8.10.14157.200

Chasiubao fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 24, 2014

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Microsoft couldn't sell water to a man dying of thirst. Sooo...

Let's be fair. They could, but he'd have to choose one of thirty different versions of water, all with their own licensing and pricing schemes.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Psyker posted:

Is that the issue then? Android-itis? Not keeping control of their own platform and instead licensing it out.

No that was a joke about the Windows OS licensing scheme.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I use my phone for:

• Web browsing
  • Texting
  • Occasional calls
  • Facebook / Twitter
  • Listening to podcasts and music*

I really like the WP UI design and aesthetic, and the default apps for all of these are good enough that I don't find myself wishing I had another phone. Also, to be honest, WP was my first smartphone platform back when I got a Focus. I'm also heavily invested in the overall Microsoft ecosystem (I own a 360 and a Bone, I use Outlook for email, One Note, etc.), so having my phone tie into that is important to me.

I don't use a lot of apps on my phone so the utter lack on WP doesn't bother me, though I admit if I did I'd be left wanting.

*I have a tiny music collection which is mostly: 'During Christmastime I listen to Christmas music'

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Denim is rolling out right now in Europe though :psyduck:

My 920 just popped the notification saying welcome to Denim. I'm on AT&T, but I had a preview build cause of the Band. Not through the official developer preview app, mind you, but via the Health app.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

soapgish posted:

Same. I think it's an Extras & Info bug with the recent update.

While the features it provides are pivotal, I am perturbed about Dev Preview for MS Band. Being highly informal next to the normal process, I figured the update was going to be only the little bits of code the Band needs and not a true update. My 1020 runs comparatively bad on Dev Preview and it's a headache to know I have to wipe as soon as the update officially releases.

Wait what? Fuuuuuuck :suicide:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

soapgish posted:

Same. I think it's an Extras & Info bug with the recent update.

While the features it provides are pivotal, I am perturbed about Dev Preview for MS Band. Being highly informal next to the normal process, I figured the update was going to be only the little bits of code the Band needs and not a true update. My 1020 runs comparatively bad on Dev Preview and it's a headache to know I have to wipe as soon as the update officially releases.

I just checked, the Nokia section says I'm on Denim, but the OS version is clearly not that. I'm on the weird Band-OS version after all :(

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

My 920 is on its last legs, and I'm sticking with AT&T because grandfathered unlimited data is pretty awesome. My options are basically M8, 1520, or 1020. But I'm really not liking the idea of being locked into a 2 year contract when new phones could could be announced soon. Goddammit Microsoft :(

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Factor Mystic posted:

This, basically
e: wait, Windows Phone - No Flagships Or Snapchat

Quit signing contracts. Get out from under AT&T's thumb and buy whatever phone you want. How much mobile data do you ACTUALLY use.

3 - 4 GB a month. Long bus commute with no WiFi. I don't think I've ever bought a phone off-contract / non-carrier. Is there an IYG thread I can read?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Speaking of the music app, this seems kind of nuts: Buy a music pass, get a free phone. It's a 635 which is definitely on the lower end, but it reviews okay.

I'm actually tempted since I need a temporary phone until new flagships come out anyways.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Because 'less apps' is not a selling point, and the finer point about not needing a million apps for basic stuff isn't easy to fit into a commercial, is my guess.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

I wish my lumia 930 was capable of not playing videos. The Arseholes who designed the website for my city's newspaper decided it would be good to have Autoplaying embedded videos. Nearly every article has one and trying to get it to not play when you're browsing on your phone is a nightmare. Seriously, If it were up to me it would be a capital crime to create a webpage where video or sound played without you explicitly clicking on something to make it happen.

I actually removed a newspaper's site from my Favourites because every time I went there, I'd forgotten the auto-playing videos that hijack the audio on my phone, causing podcast / music to suddenly cut out.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

So I got some preview OS when I bought my Band. Will I be able to get my phone to a non-preview Denim OS when that finally hits AT&T 920s without a reset? If not, I might as well get myself into developer preview and just grab the latest bits myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Early price rumors for the 640 were in the range of $300 which would have killed it out of the gate, but at $180 for the LTE and expected ~$150 for the 3G it's actually looking like MS's most competitive mid/budget offering since the 520. Really solid specs and no bizarre omissions like the 635 (all expected sensors).

Obviously not the flagship most want here, but on a pure price/features scale it's actually...impressive? :ohdear:

gently caress, even the name is sensible.

Depending on when they come out, I might actually have found the temporary phone I need to replace my busted 920 until new flagships actually come out.