Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

There's a link to the settings in the action center, right? So while it's not as convenient as a toggle at least you don't have to go hunting down the settings tile. My data plan is really limited so I only toggle it when I'm away from WiFi and need to check something. Seems like the sort of thing that's easy to add (xylo~~).

DA, I'd go with the pivot view. Panorama view seems to fit more with things that are less related than what you're using it for, if that makes sense.

Also, didn't subtitle it "I wish Cortana was the actual woman from the game," 4/5. :colbert:

edit:

Drastic Actions posted:

So in universal (Windows Phone) apps, the hardware back button does not go back through the navigation stack but hibernates the app. I can override this, but why is this the case?
Tablets and PCs don't have hardware back buttons, so you don't want to have app navigation rely on something that might not be there.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

xylo, are there any plans to increase the number of background tasks in 8.1?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

drat. Thanks anyway xylo. :)

Rent posted:

That's a pretty rare case, so I can see why they wouldn't make a link to that. Can't please everyone.
How does it detract to have the option though? And how is "leave data off, then turn it back on when you need it" rare? I mean, it's a minor complaint but also a minor thing to have.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

You have to go to Google account settings and create an app password; it'll be a string of 16(?) characters that you enter in the password field. You can do the same for your Microsoft account and for both it applies to things like third party email clients and the like.

Oh, and you can use the Microsoft authenticator app with your Google account, just take a picture of the bar code when it comes up.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 12, 2014

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm poking through settings and for email accounts I noticed that there's an "as items arrive" setting for Gmail accounts. :stare: Push is back?

I had to relogin to my Live/Windows account and two Gmail accounts, which is fine. My Gmail account with two-factor auth isn't syncing, calendar, email, or contacts. I know the password is correct and it accepts my one-time password from the auth app. :shrug: It just says "Not up to date" and gives the 801901FS error code. Deleted it and added it back several times, isn't working. My other six (yes, I know) email accounts across various providers work just swell, which makes me think it's the combination of having to relogin + Gmail + two-factor auth. It's not a totally crucial email account for me (I have Chronos Calendar, which works with Gmail calendars), but just heads up for anyone else I guess and I'll probably try again in a few days.

Also, really cool stuff: there's no more limits on how many apps can run in the background, just turn on or off as many as you wish through the Battery Sense app. :) Swipe to go forwards and back in IE11 is great, week view finally, podcasts app does what it needs, all hail Nadella.

I have the Facebook beta app and it's still prompting me to download the regular Facebook app. :v:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Wooh, the issue I had with my email not syncing is all cleared up now. :)

One thing I really like is how when you tap an email notification you can read it, delete it, then it takes you back right where you were.

Edit: Still can't rename Cortana to Clippy though ??

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 15, 2014

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I have a pitiful amount of music on mine, so I have to ask: Do third party apps like MixRadio chug or is it just the Xbox music app?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Never heard her say my name outside of when I first set it up.

Also thank you red background. Xylo get the phone team to make this a permanent option right after unfucking the music app TIA

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

625 is fine, but really big (4.7 inches although in fairness I think anything over 4.5 is big :colbert:) and you're coming from an iPhone it turns out I'm illiterate. (The 620 is even smaller than the 520) Since you're willing to spend up to that much, the 820/822 might be up your alley and you can experience wireless charging. It is kind of old but Windows Phone runs well on low-end devices.

At any rate, here's Nokia's list of Windows Phones.

edit: oh you're in Canada; I don't know what province you're in but Telus' website has the 625 in Ontaria for $0 on a 2-year term and $200 outright
double edit: in my defense it's been a long day :cry:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Open up the camera and take a look at the lenses, there should be a Bing vision option there.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I haven't gotten that for any games, but some of my regular apps. Going to the app page, installing, then canceling the install usually works for me.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The new remote desktop app works like a charm. After ending my session, my glance screen ended up upside down. :v: The fix was to start up another remote session and flip it so that the bottom of the screen was on the right edge of the phone (where the buttons are on the Lumia models), and that fixed it.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

That was happening with my 1020 all day today too, and the screen would be unresponsive until I forced a hard reset. I eventually just let it charge for a bit and didn't touch it and it went back to normal. :confused:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Lumia 520 runs butter smooth but we don't have Candy Crush. We do have some clones of it; check windowsphone.com for any other apps you want.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

In my defense I was bus posting and English is my third language. :(

xylo, I reset my phone recently and when I opened up the podcast app none of my subscriptions had synced. It wasn't really a problem since I only had a few but was that a bug or is syncing not supported at the moment?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Dropped my 1020 on concrete a few times, not a scratch. But you hit it against one doorknob at the wrong angle... :argh: (it was totally my fault and it only has the one crack and some minor spiderwebbing so I'm honestly impressed)

I've seen one other person with a 1020 here in Houston, some 520s, and a few of the more midrange phones.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Long story short, Google and Microsoft don't get along. Good news is that somebody decided to back down/play nice and push is back in 8.1, which should be out this summer via carrier updates. If you don't want to wait, you can go through the dev preview, download the Preview for Developers app, and get push plus a bunch of other cool stuff detailed in the OP.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

iLikeMidgets posted:

Does this apply to Yahoo mail as well?
I don't think so. :( My yahoo email account doesn't get the option to sync as items arrive either now or back during 8.0. There is an every 15 minutes option.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

You left out the best/worst part of that AMA.

:stare:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Maybe do a hard reset? You'd have to log in to all of your stuff again and you'd lose your app data for stuff like games but that would probably fix it if nothing else works.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The new update adds scrubbing, which is kinda nice though it really should have been in from the start.

Also, Cortana sounds a lot more natural now when I ask it for the weather and when I threw it some joke questions.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The thing where you can go to any point where you want to in the song by dragging the little circle. I don't know why it's called that though. :(

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

One thing I did notice is the little circle that you drag for the cursor shows up much more consistently now, which I guess is a bug fix.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The other awful app in the store by Maneki Neko has tabbed browsing.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I had that issue on my 1020 and ended up doing a hard reset and it hasn't come back. This is on 8.1.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

You might not have seen it because I edited my post in that thread 4 hours afterwards, but the 520 and 620 are also options on AT&T. I recommended the 820 because it is a bit nicer (better back camera, front camera, double the RAM, option for wireless charging) than the 520 and your budget can afford it, although I suppose at that point you could do what RVProfootballer said and scour for a deal on the 920/925.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Some new devices from some of the new OEMs, presumably for the low and mid range of the market: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-shows-off-a-range-of-new-windows-phones-at-computex

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Since we're doing dev chat itt, setting the status bar background color is Windows.UI.ViewManagement.StatusBar.GetForCurrentView().BackgroundColor, right? Where would I stick this, in the App.xaml.cs in OnLaunched()? And setting text and poo poo is statusBarName.Text = "blah"? My brain is not working. :(

fake edit: oh yeah I forgot ShowAsync() was a thing :downs: just kill me now

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Some official specs on those new phone: http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2014/06/05/new-partners-announce-windows-phones-at-computex-2014.aspx

Decent for what they are I suppose. :)

Edit: Still can't get over the name of the Yezz Billy 4.7

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I use the Nokia MixRadio app. Works really well and the tile is a pretty pink. :allears:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

This might be wishful thinking but isn't cutting down on that bullshit part of Nadella's restructuring plan? I would hope so, anyway.

Or, the reason could be as simple as everything associated with Xbox eventually turning to poo poo. :v:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Can you move back down to 8.0 using the Nokia recovery tool? It should fix your battery and music app problems for now at least.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

My suspicion is that how hosed the Xbox Music app is depends on how much music you have and if you browse by album/genre/playlist or just mash shuffle all. It's never hung or crashed for me, but I have 40 songs at most and don't listen to much anyway when I do. Cold comfort to those with extensive music collections though. :(

The only third party apps that I've found that do music well are Nokia MixRadio (free but only for Nokia phones) and OneMusic, which is $2 but has a trial.

Cortana now imports stuff from the sports, finance, news, etc. bing apps. Not sure I'm a fan of the horizontal separators.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

My guess is that the X line will eventually be replacing the Asha series of phones.

Also, soak tests for Cyan are apparently going out in Finland for the 925.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The ability to save news searches so that it pulls up new articles on that topic in the Cortana feed I find mildly useful, restaurant finding is a bit gimmicky but I've used it more than I expected so I guess it's doing something right, and you can do things like tell it "World Cup matches" and it displays the upcoming matches in your local time and channel. The real game changer though, at least for me, is the ability to set people, place, or time reminders by voice OR by typing it out. Never gonna forget to pick something up at the store again. :pcgaming:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

925 only has 16gb of storage though, and it sounds like storage is important to them. It is a much nicer phone, I agree. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with the 920, but it does feel very dense, if that makes sense and matters to you at all.

Martytoof posted:

The more I use WinPhone, the more I find that developers use the back button inconsistently and I really wish it would stop. Is it going to take me back to the last sheet? Is it going to exit the app outright? It's anyone's guess!

Or at least that's how it seems from my viewpoint. Maybe they are using it consistently and I'm just doing it wrong? Either way it seems messy.
In 8.1, universal apps have the app suspend by default when the back button is pressed, because tablets and PCs don't have hardware or even software back buttons (at least consistent ones :v:). This can be overridden but maybe that's what you're seeing. Is it any particular app?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

How much is the 1320 in Australia and are you comfortable with phablets? It has a microSD card slot. It's like a lesser version of the 1520 although a step up from the phones you were originally considering.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Back button seems to act as a cancel dialog button pretty much everywhere, although I only discovered it accidentally one day, so it could definitely use some discoverability or at least some documenta-

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

edit: goddamit it does work that way, in my defense it's hard to use a phone when you have a bucket on your head to prevent you from licking an open wound
:stare:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'd rate the HERE suite as above Apple maps and below Google maps; the way it shunts you between applications for transit and driving is a bit awkward but it at least has transit, works, and I've never gotten lost, so. v:v:v What's really cool is that it lets you download maps regionally for offline use , which is very handy if you're on a limited plan like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Wifi may not be that common depending on where you are, you might listen to non English music not available on major streaming services, streaming services might not be available or be terrible in your country, you might not be able to swing a monthly fee, you might just like having the same song on repeat some days, etc etc.