Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

There are rumors of one for the fall and if you compare the 52x to the 63x they're actually pretty similar feature wise. A spiritual successor I suppose. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Native folder integration, or at least that's the rumor.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Is data on? I couldn't receive MMS until I turned it on.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Turning cell data on to receive MMS is across all platforms, I think? My brother had to on his iPhone, at least. :shrug:

Epiphany is the best Goodreads client I've found, although I've toyed with the idea of making my own. Pin.it is good for Pinterest, Git Station is good for GitHub, I use Owl Reader for Pocket but Poki seems good too, Flickr Booth for Flickr. FoulPlay is Drastic Actions' PlayStation companion app and it's cool. :) There are a ton of weather apps, I use Atmosphere Weather for its live tile and the UI and Awesome Lock for my start screen.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It's all over the news, but 18,000 job cuts at Microsoft, mostly in the Nokia division across manufacturing and engineering, and X, Asha, and Nokia feature phones are dead. At least Microsoft is generous with its benefits, right? :ohdear:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

But they literally just killed the X line that was just skinned Android + MS services? If it does happen though, I'll be sad. My squares. :smith:

They're definitely coming out with another flagship soon-ish though, before Threshold: http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/17/5912289/microsoft-kills-feature-phones-in-favor-of-windows-phone

quote:

Microsoft’s devices group is planning to "shift our flagship engineering efforts towards new flagship products timed with the next release of Windows and Windows Phone," meaning we’ll likely see even more high-end Windows Phones for the release of codename "Threshold" next year. "To drive success in the short term, we plan to focus our high end go-to-market strategy on the Lumia 930, Lumia 1520, and other high-end products that we will be announcing very soon," says Harlow.
Of course, the 930 was announced a while back and is just now starting to become available, so who knows.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

"Not much more money" is relative, to be blunt about it, and what a middle class developer in Seattle and a middle class factory worker in, say, Vietnam, can afford are very different.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/07/23/lumia-530/

quote:

At the heart, the Lumia 530 is powered by a 1.2GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor that delivers a super fast and lag-free user experience of your favourite apps, gaming and internet browsing on the 4-inch LCD display.
The Lumia 530 is designed with flexibility in mind.

Lumia 530 comes in both single SIM 3G and Dual SIM 3G versions, so if you're looking to ditch your second phone and consolidate your SIM cards into one phone, with the Dual SIM version you can.

Both versions are available in bright orange, bright green, white, dark grey. The shells are changeable so you can personalize your Lumia 530 to match your mood, or outfit.
The Lumia 530 Single SIM and Lumia 530 Dual SIM are expected to be priced at €85 before taxes and subsidies and on the highstreet for under €100. The Lumia 530 will be available globally, with rollout beginning in select markets in August 2014.
And if you go to the product pages, you'll note 512mb of ram, 4gb internal with up to 128gb SD, and on screen buttons. I don't think there's a dedicated camera button.

I think I'll actually find a way to get my hands on a dual SIM version; might be tricky in the US. And the flip covers look nice. The GSM version of the 520 sold for ~$130 in Vietnam, so this is a tiny bit cheaper if the prices are comparable

Edit: There's a page to compare the 520, 630, and 530: http://www.nokia.com/global/products/compare/?action=productcompareaction&products=3767942-3459516-2204302 :getin:

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 23, 2014

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Good luck to you thestoreroom! :)

I think the 4 GB internal is the one that really sticks out but I also strongly suspect this is going to be positioned as a first smartphone, even more so than other Lumias, so it makes sense in that regard.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Rent, since you're on AT&T: Does the data sense app work? Has it been neutered in any way?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

That lock screen beta app is working on devices with 512MB of RAM apparently, even though it originally wasn't supposed to.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Couple things since upgrading to the dev preview 8.1

Battery Life is noticeably less. Not detrimentally so.

How the gently caress do I get FB to stop vibrating my phone?
You should be able to go into Settings then Action Center, and where it says Facebook, turn off vibration, banners, and sounds. And turning it off completely would remove any alerts from appearing in the action center at all.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I booked a domestic flight an hour ago and Cortana just asked me if I wanted to track it. So this is how Skynet starts.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

http://blogs.windows.com/windows_ph...w-features.aspx

Tl;Dr: 8.1 update 1 will be rolling out on the dev preview to include proper app folders, more enterprise stuff, and I guess an improved Xbox music, and Cortana is going to be beta in China (Mandarin only, nicknamed Xiao Na) and the UK, and alpha in Canada, India, and Australia

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Cyan is rolling out on AT&T 520s at least. I hope when Cortana is ported to more languages, we get to choose languages regardless of region (I don't care if they're alpha); a Cantonese or Vietnamese Cortana would be really cool for my parents and I'd like to muddle through with my terrible Arabic.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COBQqwKQX_I

Video of Mandarin Cortana, the guy also plays around with the live folders for a bit, and they look like make a fair amount of sense.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Folders are cool. I wish you could tap anywhere outside the folder to close it, instead of just on the folder and the black space it makes on the start screen when expanded.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I keep reading that you don't need to downgrade when cyan comes out, because firmware and OS updates are separate, just bundled.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

You have an Lumia right? If nothing is happening, you'll have to use the Nokia recovery tool (you need a windows machine I think) for your region. Luckily 8.1 backups quite a bit, including the start screen, so you can use that to downgrade to 8.0, upgrade up to 8.1 update 1, then sign in and get your apps back. You might have to sign back in to some of your stuff and I hope you don't play a lot of games because your progress might be lost.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Here are some of Mandarin Cortana's animations: http://livesino.net/archives/7314.live :3:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Security through obscurity! :shepface:

Streaming episodes in one go is pretty much my podcast behavior, so I've never noticed any of that, but uh, wow.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Are you in the US? Cyan is out for the 1020 in many countries, but AT&T.

Music app still doesn't have a live tile. :( I do like the Facebook redesign though.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

At 6:30 or so, I left the library with about 50% charge left and went home. It's now 8 and down to 19% (I noticed because I saw the battery saver icon on). All I did was open Nextgen Reader, browse SA, and send a text. The battery saver stats say Cortana, Skype, the messages app, and some of my email accounts went nuts in the background. This really hasn't happened before, it's kind of weird. On update 1, dev preview, no cyan because I don't feel like logging back in to all my stuff and the bitlocker fix can wait.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Oh I know, I'm just wondering if there's a specific cause or if it's just one of those random things. :shrug:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Engadget is saying that ATT will be getting the W8 (that's what I'm calling it :colbert:), but didn't release any details as to when, which makes me think it's a timed exclusivity thing for Verizon like with the 1020 and AT&T.

edit: okay, now my post makes sense

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 20, 2014

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I just finished installing cyan on my AT&T 1020; it went through the normal update process so I just got a prompt to download it without any downgrading and the live folders from update 1 are still intact. :woop:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

That's actually a really helpful write-up; my mom wants to unlock her 520 and give it to relatives and her main complaint about the 520 is how its screen collects dust and it sounds like the 63x has some major improvements in that area. Or maybe I'll just get her the 730 so she can skype.

Oh and drastic actions, great updates to the Awful reader app, although a copy of your twitter endorsement from lowtax on the login page would be better and more hilarious imo. It's kind of crashing when I open certain pages in certain threads (when you open the thread back up on the next page, things are fine); my guess is embedded youtube videos but I'll see about reproducing it and maybe getting off my rear end and helping you out at least w/r/t poking around at the XAML throughout the app.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

You can hold down the search button and that'll launch Cortana in listening mode.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm with Sri.Theo, if I'm on the third page of my bookmarks, and I read a thread then back out, I don't want to have to scroll back down to my place in the bookmarks, so like how the iOS version works. But if it were a toggle we could all be a little happy. :v:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

At IFA, Nokiasoft announced the 730 and 830, which you can read about in their blog: http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/09/04/morelumia/ They look solid for their price points.

What's of more immediate interest is Update 1 and Nokia Denim: http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/09/04/lumia-denim-update/ basically, better and faster camera, always listening Cortana with "hey Cortana," and Bing apps on the glance screen, like weather updates. Q4 2014 including carrier testing.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

If you click through to the 730/735 announcement page:

quote:

The affordable and powerful Lumia 730 Dual SIM and Lumia 735 will start shipping in September. The 4G/LTE version is estimated to be priced at about 219 EUR before taxes and subsidies, while the 3G Dual SIM version is estimated to be priced at about 199 EUR before taxes and subsidies.
So just do some conversions, I'm sure VAT is included.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Some other good clock live tile apps (because I'm an expert on those apparently :negative:) are Analog Clock Tile or Start Screen Clock. Although, I think 627.AM might do what you want; it displays the weather for sure. no it doesn't, good at alarms though :shobon:

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 7, 2014

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

$40 can be a lot depending on circumstances; a week's worth of groceries for a family, for example.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Bluetooth works for me when pairing my phone to my surface for Office remote, but that's probably no help. :smith:

Bude, I do get that no audio bug once in a while, but only with Cortana. Never had it happen to music, calls, notifications, alarms, and the like. I do keep the keyboard silent on purpose.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Soon you'll be rearranging tiles for aesthetic and not practical reasons and searching for the perfect start screen background. :unsmigghh:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I got a treasure tag on sale a week ago and it's pretty cool. Hasn't really impacted my battery life so far and it's nice knowing I'll be able to find my keys. :v:

Edit: The page before this one likes to crash in your awful app

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

On the 1020, I get occasional refreshes but I think one of those GB is for the camera only.

And I realize this applies to no one else itt but swyping in Arabic is cool as hell. :v:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Yep, those are pretty much the budget Android recommendations you'll get.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Jesus III posted:

My wife is having a problem with her Nokia 920. After updating to 8.1, her camera stopped working. It tries loading the software and then fails. We've tried soft resetting, hard resetting. Nothing is working. Any of you heard about this and what to do?
The Nokia camera app is an actual app, so have you tried uninstalling then reinstalling it? Does the Microsoft camera app work (should just be called Camera)?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Something that's been bugging me for a bit: some of my facebook events are doubled in the calendar for 8.1. I can't seem to find a pattern, as it's both invited to events and events I'm attending, regardless of whether I clicked on the event in the calendar to take me to the event's page or not, but sometimes Facebook events feel like doubling on me. It doesn't really affect usability, just that part of me that doesn't want to see the symbol for overlapping events when nothing's overlapping. I got the doubled events to go away occasionally by hitting "not going" on the ones I was going to then hitting "going" but just now one of the events I did that on decided to double itself again. I don't have any Facebook event syncing going on with any email accounts and I'd say it's a 50/50 shot at whether or not the event decides to double.

Edit: I think I fixed it, like all things, by uninstalling then reinstalling the app. I hope the doubling doesn't return.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I've had it installed since 8.0 and I'm on cyan now and it's been working fine for me; I've downloaded a few of the wallpapers.

It says I can't download it now though, so it probably is built for 8.0.