Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

That "it's fine if we're on speaker or she's speaking regularly" should have had an and, not an or. :downs: It also works if we're both speaking regularly. Anyway, you're exactly right, when I played back a video with headphones, I couldn't hear through one earpiece. I don't suppose you managed to fix it? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Does removing and reinstalling whatsapp remove the history? My whatsapp has been acting strange for a while now. It plays sounds (softly) with a black screen and lately it's had a few times where it hangs during startup.
It does if you don't do a backup in the app ahead of time.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

AT&T killed two year contracts a week or so ago.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Maneki Neko posted:

I backed this:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/nexdock-turn-your-smartphone-into-a-laptop--2#/

I'm sure I'll find a use for it (assuming it gets funded), but it's a neat idea for continuum.
This seems cool, but no USB-C?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

xylo posted:

FYI

http://www.windowscentral.com/att-lumia-950-updated-windows-10-mobile-build-10586107

I believe this is kind of a bid deal in that it seems to be the first WaaS build. (ie, MS just pushed a build to phones without carrier acceptance and to those not enrolled in an insider program.)
Yeah, I just got this. Haven't really had time to play around with it obviously, but my Treasure Tag hasn't disconnected so far, so that's nice :v:

I'm not seeing the update to the People app or to the Messaging app though. :smith:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Is your job more or less secure now? :v:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm pretty sure this was in 8.1, but for sure in 10 you can go to notifications+actions, select messaging, and then turn off show notification banners while leaving the sound and vibration settings alone (you can also separately turn them off on just the lock screen).

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I think they're saying store the game or iTunes or f.lux or whatever until it's hooked up to the monitor, keyboard, etc. when you can actually use it. That way it'd be a phone and probably a good enough desktop replacement for most people. I could see myself buying a monitor and peripherals and actually getting a desktop that way, since I don't have one now, although I don't think it'd ever replace my Surface.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Pretty much what Tivac said, plus the keyboard (although that's less of an issue with Word Flow on other platforms now). I'm not married to WP though; if something really awesome in the iOS or Android space happens in a couple of years or there's no progress on W10 mobile I'll switch but for now I'm happy.

My mom got a Lumia 640 for $30 from Best Buy. That's a steal and it's probably better for her than iOS because I pinned certain people to her start screen so it's an easy to figure out speed dial (I don't know if Android has something similar).

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Anonononomous posted:

Are there any recommended 8.1 flight information apps? American had a 7.8 app, but nothing for my current phone.
You mean for flights in general? App in the Air is cross-platform, including 8.1 and 10.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The real tragedy is that the new Facebook Messenger app doesn't have a transparent live tile. My start screen. :smith:

Drastic Actions posted:

IMO, if integrating it into Skype means it would support SMS relay on iOS and Android (Which I hope is why they're doing it, because otherwise :wtf:) then it would get used by a bunch more people and arguably be more useful.
This (plus marketing people) was the reason that came to mind when I first saw the announcement. The advantage of not running an insider build is that you're pleasantly surprised when things do make it through. :v: As long as it works (okay, big if here), I don't particularly care if I have to open the Messaging app or the Skype app to text.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Do you send a lot of MMS? I suspect data sense is counting MMSes towards the cap even though AT&T doesn't.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The placement of the power button on the 950XL is pretty dire imo :colbert:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The last time I was at the Pru, to swap out my SP3, I swung by and it seems like it's always been 80% Surfaces on display. The WP display seemed more dedicated to continuum than as actual phones.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I used Cortana mostly for short commands but it failed pretty often due to not being able to deal with local names. Siri however understands everything. Did you know Siri is a dude here.
Siri can't pronounce my last name but Cortana can, I'm in the US but have a non-English name :shrug:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

What I've done, not for that word but others, is let it autocorrect to how it wants, then select it and change it to how I want, and after a few times it figures it out.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Rip my squares :smith:

My parents are still on 640s, we'll see how long those hold up

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Went to a Pixel XL 2 from a Lumia 950 about a year and a half ago, due to battery issues. I'm fine with Android and it's very nice having actual apps, but god I miss the keyboard.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I wouldn’t pay what they’re asking for it, but if I ever became an important business type, I’d get one, it looks made for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

This conversation made me go looking for old WP ring tones, I found them on the official SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/nokia-design-team/tracks