Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

There you go. Yea enjoy the Nexus as that will be the closest you get to a Pure Android experience similar to the pure Windows Mobile experience you had on the 1020, only with more app support and 3rd party Roms/Kernels/etc. (Reccomend installing the Pure Nexus rom as it gives you a few really nice features, "Pure" Nexus doesn't have. )

I still like having my family on Windows because when it works, they can't get into any trouble, but with Verizon having nothing coming down the pipe that looks like an upgrade to the Nokia Icon or M8 For Windows, I pretty much might have to give up and let them make the switch until Microsoft gets their head out of their rear end for the 3rd time straight with both software and now, Hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Installed the fast track .1000 update this morning, promising updates to Outlook/Calendar among others. I can now no longer launch Outlook. Unfortunately I really need it for work so I will have to dig out another phone somewhere until I can get that resolved :(

Did you check for an update in the Store for Outlook after the update?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Will it still be available for Windows Phone 8.1?

Yes. The Way it was working for 10 seemed to be a workaround but 8.1 should continue to work they said.

Still. This is a time Microsoft should just make the Bing Maps work like Windows Phone 7, but with auto turn by turn instead of the stupid tap to talk bs. :argh:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ah I forgot that Here is no longer the Go To map app since Bing maps was nerfed in 7/8.X Also there is always Waze too I guess.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

"Tomorrow"... Yea.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Mr Funkface posted:

"Hay guys, remember that barely existing company that was relevant maybe 10-15 years ago? Let's try that maybe" - Steve from Marketing.

gently caress you, Steve.

Agreed.

Though in a way, if they would partner with Intel, run the latest good Atom processor, and allow Continuum with x86 apps. Then they might have their niche.

If they don't do that though, well.....

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

PlaneGuy posted:

Yeah I know :( but I wouldn't mind having it all in one feed still even if I get the ads and curation, I think. I mean, it's better than multiple apps with ads and curation, right? but then they'd complain about "branding" or whatever horseshit hate-on about twitter not being light blue then you're looking at your timeline or some poo poo like that

Exactly this. I loved how my WP7 HTC Arrive was exactly what I wanted from a phone, and WP7 delivered that in spades.

Then progressively they removed stuff while adding less good stuff in WP8/8.1, then in WM10 they pretty much made it pretty, but removed all that made the phone good including the drat reliability and speed. The Arrive feels faster than most WM10 devices I use, and had much more consistent functionality (until they pretty much killed everything on it including Zune :( )

On a side note, side loading Sense 7 onto your android device which includes BlinkFeed is fantastic for getting you a all in 1 newsfeed that combines chosen news sources + Twitter + Facebook which keeps me from almost ever visiting the Facebook app. What really sucks is Sense 8 they seem to have neutered it by going to News Republic (Which seems to bring me a lot of crap I couldn't care less about like UK sports, when I haven't chosen to follow any sports) and dropped the Facebook and Instagram integration which pretty much removes >50% the reason I liked it in the first place. No idea why they did this but :10bux: says it is because Facebook wants you to use their app, to see their adds, and all the other things they are trying to keep you using their app for. With the battery hog that it is though I have been tempted to remove the drat thing.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is Zune really something that people have a lot of fondness for? I found it to be an absolute chore to use.

I loved my ZuneHD (still one of the nicest built Media Players ever made) and the overall Zune software continues to be Immensely better than Groove. While Groove has finally started getting, better I guess, it still just works like a entry level Play Music you Own, Have on One Drive, or here lets see what the most popular music is as long as it is Hip Hop/Rap.

Zune had channels and playlist similar to Spotify, years before Spotify even existed. And a extra small annoyance is how you could SmartDJ off of a single song and it would find similar music, while in Groove you can only "Radio" off of a band.

The software had it's flaws as well, but the overall style and features it once had was way ahead of it's time and sadly, Microsoft thought it best to just throw it all away. I am also sour loosing my Zune Pass with my 10 songs. Now I have little incentive to keep Groove Music over say a Spotify or now Google Music sub instead.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The ZuneHD's HD Radio is kinda nice as well. You can hear when it swaps over to the HD channel and it is beautiful. That is another thing that didn't seem to catch on but luckily, still gets broadcast somewhat.

The ZHD is great for use at those Drive In Theaters with a good set of speakers to use instead of the car stereo too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

LifeSizePotato posted:

I think the Zune HD's use of Metro was probably the best iteration. It still looks pretty and futuristic.

It also had the 3D effect if you tilted it in your hand. It was pretty neat and way ahead of that Fire Phone amazon tried to do 3D with hah.

WP7 did have a much more cut down feel in its Zune Music player, but still worked, and well its gone farther and farther from Metro since then. :(

I freaking miss the screen saver effect that Zune played on the PC, ZuneHD, and Xbox when you were playing music. Album Art/Bio Pics, Overlay of Lyrics/Bio's and other clean animated text moving around the screen keeping it from having any sort of threat of Burn In which was fantastic (on my Plasma).

Now Xbox/Groove music just shows album art and static playtime with some transparent triangle crap. WTF why do you throw away design stuff like this for generic crap like they have now? The original Zune devs have to be crying a bit knowing the coded something so much better than what is being used now, and how it all just got what appears to be thrown away. :argh: