Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Uthor posted:

My mom was complaining that after talking on her Lumia 521 for about ten minutes, it get really hot and her call drops. If she calls back right away, it drops again after a few seconds. Just started happening. Has anyone experienced something like that?

I'd be interested in getting her a new phone, but she's already complained that the 521 is too big. :/

I had similar symptoms. Resetting the phone did nothing. I ended up tossing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Uthor posted:

I wonder if the battery is starting to go.

How old is the phone?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

RVProfootballer posted:

Hah, you remember the Icon, right? A flagship WP phone? Seems far more likely it sold for poo poo and Verizon has no interest in another WP model that won't sell than there being anything like a "vendetta".

I think the Kin was the beginning of the bad blood between Verizon and MS.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Guillermus posted:

I don't know how you guys can stand that. In europe you can buy a phone on your shop of choice and it'll work on your carrier as long as you don't try a locked phone with a different carrier's sim. Also if you get a carrier locked device and your contract expires, the carrier has to unlock it so you can use it with another carrier (via code or whatever).

It's not too difficult to buy an unlocked device and use it on the GSM networks (AT&T/T-Mobile plus any of the MVNOs using their network). My current device was bought directly from the manufacturer, my carrier hasn't officially certified the device to the best of my knowledge, but it works fine. I know T-Mobile (my carrier) was willing to unlock my previous, carrier-locked phone only a few months in since I was traveling outside the country, and my friend who has an AT&T device didn't have a problem either.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

DarkMalfunction posted:

It's not just a Microsoft thing, Facebook and Google+ have been doing it for ages, it's now an industry ~thing~.

We're getting round profile pics on our work badges. :smith:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Drastic Actions posted:

Devops, mostly making tools for other engineers, and I maintain one customer facing site. And I still will.

Welcome aboard. Enjoy the stack ranking :v:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Factor Mystic posted:

Just going to save this as a template response for when vendors drop support, thanks.

"Terrible routing" won't apply for all apps, though.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Also better than the Danger deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

OldPueblo posted:

So after moping around a bunch dealing with all of Android's annoyances I stumbled across this video and got really excited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8qnbZC9GLU

"Welcome to the post-app era"

That's seriously in the video.