Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

If Gabe Newell's vivid sweaty nightmare of the Windows Store comes true and they start selling desktop games I'll buy them. Also keep in mind that "normally" is still beyond the comprehension of many users and has awful data portability in an era where everyone wants to use all their software and access all their files on all their devices. I can effortlessly swap between my desktop and laptop with Office 365 and OneDrive; with smart use of the Store and OneDrive any other application could do this.

Also being able to test drive applications without having to intercept writes with Acronis or the other crazy poo poo I did five years ago would be nice.

Years ago Microsoft reps were touring universities saying they wanted to eventually deprecate Win32 and have everything run as managed code. I have no idea if that's still true but this is the first plausible way out I've seen.

As do I, even without apps. The cloud is pretty awesome.

Universal apps at best is going to have an negligable effect on games. The ability to suddenly reach Xbone or PC gamers in addition to the WP gamers should be a fairly decent recent to port some of the easier ones that can control on all of them. However, banks and messengers probably couldn't care less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Thanks for the quick fix of the awful app Drastic!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Drastic Actions posted:

Just like to post some more Awful Forums Reader charts for you all:

Notice how those crash numbers went down? It's because I could actually fix poo poo this time around :cool:. Application Insights gave me better ways of figuring out how to reproduce issues, so I could fix the long standing poo poo I could not reproduce on my own. Also the threading issue (which caused crashes when you went back into the app via the app icon, but only sometimes) was actually caused by Application Insights itself. It was an old version :doh:. After upgrading it, it was fixed. Not saying all crashes are fixed, but it's a lot better than it was before. Or at least should be.

Second is this:

I upgraded the app last week, but didn't tell the thread. I was interested to see how quickly it got into your hands automatically without me prompting it (and it case poo poo hosed up, I could catch the logs early without everyone getting screwed). In this the light green bar is the old version (6.9.10.7) and the dark green version is the newest version (6.10.1.8). It took about three days to get everyone switched over. But there are 20 or so of you on the older version, so if you see a gear on the main forums page in the bottom app bar, you're running the old version and should upgrade ASAP.

The newest version fixes the SAclopedia icon on the main forums page (Now you won't get it confused with Settings :v:), fixes the app crashing on relaunch, and some other page state issues. It should handle better when multitasking, especially on lower end devices. I also added an about page on the main forums screen, in the overflow menu. You all should check that out, it's pretty cool :). Based on this current build, I probably won't make another Windows Phone 8.1 update unless the forums flat out break the app. Instead I'm investing all my time into the Windows 10 version. Hopefully once they allow for sideloading appx files onto it, I can post it you so all can easily try it out.

I was so happy when there was an update, because the thing was crashing like crazy for me. Not anymore though.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Drastic Actions posted:

Oh yeah, quick heads up to anyone having issues upgrading their phones to Windows 10. Just do what I did!

:suicide:

The heat will spoil your lunch.

Also, this the second time I'm writing this as your app just crashed during the previous attempt.

My 930 got uncomfortably hot when using it on a warm summer day for navigation.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I don't understand why Cortana is country bound. Exactly which parts of the very useful features need the country instead of just the language toggle?

Speaking off, are assistants really the next big thing? I only use it while driving.

I love how Americans will moan and complain whenever the EU does another alleged anti competitive practices investigation as being anti American mega corp. Meanwhile back home they complain about the mega corps acting like poo poo towards the consumer.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
edit: I don't know what happened here.

wookieepelt posted:

Location based reminders are really nice. I miss that feature weekly. I thought Cortana telling me when to leave in order to miss traffic was helpful too. Basically, if you have a poo poo memory or are unorganized, Cortana is handy. Otherwise it's a gimmick at best.

I read an article about the U.S. high speed internet infrastructure. Apparently we are paying a lot more than most other countries, but at the same time we have heavily invested into the actual lines and most of Europe hasn't. The article I read said that 5G phones are going to be faster in the US compared to the UK which will not notice a significant advantage over 4G. Comcast is doubling their internet speeds again just to compete with Google and Verizon, and where I live, the city provides WiFi of 100mbps for $45 per month in select areas. So maybe we're getting better.

Edit: Not the original article I read, but it does touch on similar points. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24528383

Edit 2: This article contradicts the first, which I think was NY Times. This says the US is terrible as far as 4G goes. http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-state-of-lte-4g-networks-worldwide-in-2014-and-the-poor-performance-of-the-us/

Anyway, that's what I use Cortana for as well because I am what you describe. :shrug: Point is that in order to use it I have to set my phone for either America or UK. Why? Why not just set language to English?

With Cortana coming to desktop and Google Now having been integrated in Google search for a while now I wonder how many people are going to use it. I can't imagine it being faster than simply typing.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 24, 2015

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Network and services is going to be their new core.

I do wonder what this spells for here maps. :ohdear:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm a little confused by one thing. You have project Astoria to port Android Apps, but it has a chance of breaking due to play services.
On the other hand you have another translation programme which translates IOS apps without the breaking warning. Why not just focus on IOS apps and completely ignore android?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

loquacius posted:

As I understand it, this thing is just a quick fix to make an APK run on Windows. The porting tools to turn iOS apps into universal apps also exist for Android (but are not finished yet); those just take more programming effort to actually make them work (although theoretically still not much). The APK hack is just the :effort: solution and not the one they're generally encouraging people to use.

I'm probably misunderstanding, but the way I understand you now is that there are two ways to get Android apps on WP? An APK hack and project Astoria? :confused:

Drastic Actions posted:

Normal users would never side load apps like this sort. They would download the apps directly from the store, which should always work.

It's going to be interesting to see how many apps get ported and if developers will keep supporting them.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

No, they actually had a dialogue during the install process that listed all the major browsers, in random order along with an advertising blurb for each one, and forced users to choose one to be installed as their default browser. that's why the EU had separate editions of windows for several years.

It was hilariously bad. Every browser featured a little blurb mentioning how great of a browser it was...every browser except IE. The IE blurb just said "Internet Browser". They couldn't even be arsed to create a sales pitch for IE.

loquacius posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not get carried away, it's not like they did anything seriously anti-competitive like, I dunno, bundle a browser with an operating system

OH WAIT
You're right! That's just like Android and Chromebooks! :v:

EU is currently sizing up Android for it's anti competitive nature and it's going to be really interesting to see what will happen. From what I understand all manufacturers that want access to the playstore are by contract obligated to put google products on the front page and other prominent positions. It makes me wonder what would've happened if Samsung would've been allowed to put their own stuff (no matter how terrible some of it was) on the prime real estate.

I wonder how long it's going to be before the EU also starts targeting Microsoft again since Windows 10 seems to undo the browser bit. I'm a little confused, does Media player still exist?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Drastic Actions posted:

Went to the Microsoft store earlier today. Got a Xbox one TV tuner, preordered a 950 XL, bought rock band 4 and bought a 640. Because dam it, I wanted at threat one phone branded by Microsoft.

The 640 is pretty sweet for a $70 phone. The camera is okay for what it is, and the screen is awesome for the price. Not a big fan of the hard edges, which make holding it harder than it needs to be, but it's not like I'm using this as my main phone or anything.

The 940 XL was also good. Still felt weird in the hand but wow, that screen. OLED look amazing. Can't wait to debug apps against continuum too whenever it comes out next month.

Also, I'm kinda getting into using Cortana.

This looks awesome. Is it really that easy now to plug apps into Cortana?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Factor Mystic posted:

I just tried searching for it in the latest preview build, and it was the top hit. (The store app did crash on open, though, lol).

Local MP3's is a losers game. Upgrade your life and start streaming your own collection instead. You can do this with both Groove and my otherwise limited app that I hock itc, but also lol at the bolded part.

Also if you want a true phone store tragedy, apparently my app isn't shown in the online store browser any more. I know because I just clicked through 28 pages of never-downloaded and crapware music apps for Windows Phone and didn't see it!

I'm a proud loser and I have no problems with the standard music app. :colbert:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

CalvinandHobbes posted:

The reviews are coming in for the 950. In general mediocre at best which I think is not unfair. My reaction to the verge review is that it was obviously a review by someone not particularly familiar with or a fan of the windows phone ecosystem. He glossed over some things that may have warranted more detail in a phone he actually cared about. In particularly, i'd like to see much more on why he says the phone's camera is slow. All the demo's we've seen are anything but.

That said, I can't disagree with his overall sentiment. For a non-windows phone user, there is no reason to buy this phone at the price it sells it. Camera is going to be comparable to Galaxy S6, Nexus 6p and Iphones. Design is subjectively worse (and I really agree the design is bland and uninspired which doesn't go well with its price). Perforemance and battery life are probably comparable. Continuum is neat idea but for most people, having more appis is a better trade off. Windows hello is cool but that cool factor will wear off quickly in favor of a faster and more functional fingerprint reader. Microsoft app support is as good or better on the other devices. I'd prefer if someone more familiar with windows phone did this review like tom warren but I don't think the outcome would have changed. This phone is not a game changed is is really directed at windows phones fans.

Even then, for its price, its not a non brainer. Some of my favorite features are gone inexplicable like double tap to wake or glance peek (just as google is getting more capable with its ambient display features. Its another 3 steps forward, 8 steps back for Microsoft and i'm not sure how much longer they can continue to do this, "wait for the next thing!, it'll be better we swear!"

As for me, i'm probably still going to get a 950xl but i'll have a long look at the galaxy note and iPhone 6s before doing so most likely.

While I like the verge for news I have generally stopped reading their reviews. What I glean from most of their reviews is that they're incredibly committed to the Android ecosystem often overlooking or underselling features on Apple or Windows phones.
But yeah, the other reviews share their end conclusion. I keep hoping for an x86 phone.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

bitcoin savant posted:

Yeah, what assholes for not developing for and supporting 1% of the phone market. Such jerks, ignoring Windows Mobile 10 and BB10.

That is only true for America though, it still does better in the rest of the world. :shrug:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Ah, yes. The European, South American and asian markets where due nature of selling unlocked phones, phone pricing is an even bigger factor. Hence why nokias low end blitz was more effective than the US.

Good thing Microsofts new phones are competitively and realistically priced to keep that market share growing!

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks Microsoft knows wm10 is not ready for primetime but felt pressure to get flagships out before the holiday period. Hence they priced it so that only diehards who MIGHT tolerate some bugs would buy it now and plan to aggressively drop the price later when its more complete.

I wonder though what the perception of aggressive price drops are to consumers though. It seems likely that the price drops will be perceived as the phone not selling (true) and thus be used as a reason not to buy it even at cheaper prices

I may be misunderstanding your point, but we can actually also buy subsidized phones.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

benitocereno posted:

Windows Phone: I'm still sad about zune

All of us Windows Phone owners know the truth - but the "year of desktop Linux" is a bit far-fetched, even for me ;) This is probably closer to the "year of the steam box." You know all of the reasons it should work, but it won't.

Just for my own curiosity - for those of you still using WP, why?

My reasons are simple enough: I like the UI, find it more reliable than Android, and I don't care for iOS. I've used Android and iOS in the past - Android is a fragmented mess I can't see myself going back to.

I basically use Awful (thanks to Drastic), some other forum clients, calendar, OneNote, mail, Edge, and the camera, so it tends to work pretty well for my needs. If WP ever ceased to exist I'd probably go to iOS, but I do hope it chugs along because Universal apps are a really cool idea.

I don't like the current Duopoly where you can either choose a device based on Android which either never gets updates or gets one giant update that cripples your device. An additional reason is that it's basically Googles troyan horse for spying on you and I for one dislike the idea that someone is constantly analyzing my whereabouts and behaviour to better sell me things. Or alternatively you can pay Apple tax and I dislike paying for brands on principle. In addition I do really like the UI. It's very clear, fast and alive.

Truth be told, I'm not sure if my next phone will be another WP. I still like the platform and I don't mind the apps because I honestly barely use any apps, my phone is for whatsapp, skype, internet and calling people. It might be another WP, but it does depend on how things progress. Fortunately I have all the time in the world to decide as my current isn't that old yet. If I do switch though, I think I would have to pay apple tax. Well, at least the phone actually are good build quality.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Ah, man, unimpressive internals, but otherwise it sure would have been more interesting if this had been Microsofts Lumia take instead:

Japanese company, up on the Verge now.

That is one super hot looking phone.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Drastic Actions posted:

The 950 (RM-1105_12716) is 7th right now, above the Icon (which is specifically the Verizon branded one, not the unlocked one). Also remember that we're talking about Goons here. But to Lord Bude's point...

We are still talking Goons, so US is going to be higher, but other countries are represented here. Looking at the stats for my PlayStation app, while America is on top there too, France is a really close second.

I need to session your app more often. I'm not on the list. :(
Oh wait, it probably counts the country your phone is set at. In which case I'm happy to say that I'm part of the UK.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
To the surprise of no one MS will not be releasing W10 on mobiles this year.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Does removing and reinstalling whatsapp remove the history? My whatsapp has been acting strange for a while now. It plays sounds (softly) with a black screen and lately it's had a few times where it hangs during startup.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Drastic Actions posted:

https://twitter.com/drasticactionSA/status/688825290005544960

At this rate, I should be getting to 10,000 downloads in not too long. And judging by Azure results, about a thousand people are using it daily (meaning, for long periods of time per day, not just opening and closing), nearly all for messaging. The vast majority of the users are on Desktops/Tablets though, not Phones. The Lumia 930 is in the top ten of devices, the 950 in the top 15.

The power of universal apps!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I don't get why they didn't add continuum to the phone. Isn't that one of their main pitches for Windows 10?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
My wife replaced her aging Lumia620 with an Iphone6 and I've had the pleasure of setting it up. I haven't had much hands on experience with Iphones, but I have to say, setting up a windows phone is a whole lot easier and faster, especially the whole people app and the way it integrates the social networks. I've spent the better part of the evening only to discover that the Iphone can only show Facebook images on the contact list if someone has shared their emailadres with you. :psyduck: So now we have to bother our friends to share their email addresses.
I also canīt believe how convoluted it is to set your own ringtone. It's like WP7.
I do like the phone though, it's hella fast and very nice looking.

This experience at least did convince me that the mobile OS market really is poo poo. Either go with an Iphone with it's many built in limitations, go with an Android without security and support (also Google taking notes one everything you do) or go with Windows without apps and support. How did things get so bad.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

From the comments I assume you work at Xamarin? :confuoot:

wookieepelt posted:

I think that if you're an iPhone user, you have been at it long enough that you get used to the limitations. And also, there's probably an app for everything that the OS lacks. No sense in wasting Apple's tine and money developing OS features if someone else will do it for you. But the iPhone is a nice phone, from a hardware perspective.

There does appear to be an app for everything. But itīs pretty sad that it even needs so many apps to get some very basic stuff done. IOS is pretty nice, but it could do with being a little less restrictive.

Last night I took a picture in extremely low light conditions with and without flash with both the iphone and my lumia930 to see the difference in pic. It was really amusing. With flash I couldnīt see any differences at a glace, but without the Iphone took a very dark picture with some barely discernable shapes but the picture sure was sharp. Meanwhile the lumia blew up the lighting giving a very very grainy picture, but at least you could see something on it. Itīs fun to see the difference.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

CubanMissile posted:

Just use the sync.me app to pull the pictures from your contact's Facebook profiles without needing their email. You don't even have to be Facebook friends with them, though you do have to link your fb account to the app. Just sync and keep hitting next. Turn off all the other app features though as they are useless.

That was what I ended up doing. The downside is that it doesn't pull the extra information into the contact. :(

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

wookieepelt posted:

Is there a reason not to have your region set to the US? It seems that all features on WM10 are only available for US.

Metric system and dollars are a good reason. Beyond that it's both understandable and baffling at the same time that MS has the best features only available in the US (not entirely true, but the rollout is very limited).

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I just downloaded the upgrade app and it immediately updated my phone. So that's nice. W10 looks pretty good.

Less nice is that I seem to be unable to connect my outlook account to my phone. :psyduck: Gmail worked fine, but it's refusing to set up outlook.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Sri.Theo posted:

I'm still getting "we're working with your phone manufacturer and network operator", nothing when I check phone update either. Despite it being a unlocked Lumia 735. Is this a country by country roll out as I'm in the UK?

I honestly can't imagine that, because I'm in the Netherlands. Microsift for the most part has been ignoring us. We don't even have Cirtana. Seriously, my phone isn't even unlocked. :psyduck:

I fixed my problem with a hard reset.

I'm liking W10 for the most part. My phone feels faster and the layout is a lot cleaner. The new outlook and office aops are great and so is Edge.
The worst parts thus far is the further gutting of the people app. Why can't I connect linkedin and twitter anymore.
The other worst part are the circles. "Let's put circles in our squares." Which genius cane up with that idea?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LifeSizePotato posted:

There was a lot of hope that the "mind-blowing" feature that would prove Windows phone ain't dead yet would happen at this evening's Build presentation titled "Something Awesome This Way Comes."

They just retitled the session to "Linux Command Line on Windows." :geno:

(Almost zero mention of WM10 was made at the keynote this morning.)

Maybe it'll come to W10M? :downs:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Do any apps exist that can replace the old people app functionality? I m iss having all my social crap in one place. :(

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

PlaneGuy posted:

People app made the phone, man. All my facebook and tweets in one place, bypassing the ads and curation algorithms? Yes, please!

And if you were an old-school WP7 guy who bought into the whole inversion of control concept (you don't open an app to X your friend, you open your friend to X them) like me, people hub was a core example of the windows phone philoso oh god what have they done to this operating system you maniacs you blew it up drat you drat you all to hell

This. I can live with the adds and the curation, just let me put everything in one feed.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I used my wife Iphone for a bit during a recent carride and once again it baffles me why Microsoft is incapable of bringing Cortana (or even basic voice stuff) in my native language. I think they've had German in Beta for a year now. It was very convenient to just yell at her phone to go to some place in the middle of nowhere and get it. Same with calling people, at least her phone knows how to pronounce my friends names at the first try.
I never knew that I missed such accuracy until now.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Question here - for the people here using Windows Phone 8.1 or Windows 10 Mobile, what keeps you using the platform over Android or iOS? Is it just down to aesthetics and "not needing" apps? Cost? I get the impression some of the iOS goons who want to try Windows 10 Mobile are just kinda bored by iOS and want something a bit different.
My answer is basically:

Wizard of the Deep posted:

WP versus Android: I just don't like Google. Besides them spidering Chrome EVERYFUCKINGWHERE and how quick they are to kill things that aren't working as well as they want (Wave, Reader, $yourfavoritedeadgoogleproducthere), the problem is how they've fundamentally mis-managed Android. Phones only a year old are already dead: they'll never receive a security update to close gaping holes in the base Android OS. The filtering on their walled-garden app store is a joke. It's exactly the same situation we saw twenty years ago with Windows 95/98, but with an always-on internet connection, location tracking, and banking details all in one six-inch rectangle.

That's not to say Microsoft is exactly winning any awards with how they've managed mobile; they're just the least-bad option.

I can't wait til Apple develops Crosstinuum in a decade, too :v:

Flipperwaldt posted:

It took me two weeks to set up an Android tablet exactly the way I wanted it. Big part of that was downloading apps to do basic things like locking and unlocking screen rotation and poo poo like that and picking the one with the least obnoxious ads. Admittedly, this was a while ago (4.0 I'm guessing).

Every time a family member asks me to set up something on their poo poo tier Android phone, I seem to notice manufacturers adding flavors that make things work differently. I don't know, that's what I'm assuming is happening. Brain rot must have set in, is how it makes me feel to need to take 10 minutes to figure out again where settings is or how I get an overview of all the installed apps or where the most recent calls are or how to select multiple files.

In the first day I owned a Windows Phone (8.1), never having touched the platform before, everything clicked and made sense. All the gestures, where everything is, what you can and can't do. I like the mostly monochromatic look and the squares. It looks fairly clean and stylized versus the attack on the senses that Android can be.

It helps that I really do not care for my phone to do things beyond the basic phone stuff.

And compared to iPhone, price, god drat. I'm not spending 500€ on a phone.

And I agree with Tivac's camera button mention.

If I go anywhere it's going to be Iphone despite the massive headache setting up my wifes phone gave me.I just really hate paying brand tax in general, but on the other hand her phone looks nice, feels nice and moves like greased lightning.
Itīs still a better option than having to muck about with phones that slow down to a crawl after a year of use and arenīt supported anymore within that same year.
Iīve helped fix and maintain my mothers Samsung Galaxy something, her LG G3, my brothers MotoE and our and my moms android tablets. Somehow the experience is different everywhere with the only thing they have in common is being horrifically slow and needing complete reinstalls to get them halfway decent again.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Has anyone elses flashlight function disappeared? I ran an update earlier this week and now in the settings and in the dropdown menu the flashlight has disappeared. This looks really stupid in the dropdown menu.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Flashlight is back. Turning it on and off foxed. :psyduck:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I suddenly have a new awful app and it a massive improvement over the old one. Excellent work. (posted from the new app)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mr Funkface posted:

Yet more good BREAKING news!

http://techcrunch.com/2016/06/13/microsoft-to-buy-linkedin-for-26b-in-cash-makes-big-move-into-enterprise-social-media/

LinkedIn, the usecase-less network, bought by MS, who can't seem to settle on any usecase.
Wait, why is Linkedin usecaseless? Where Im from it's pretty much the best job site and has a fairly active professional usebase(in my area of expertise).
It's a pretty okay move for an ms that wants to focus on businesses.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rip Testes posted:

I just updated my 1520 to WP10. A lot of my pins are now busted so fixing those. I used to pin webpages to my start screen and it would show a little thumbnail of the webpage. Has that thumbnail rendering been done away with?

Great news! I pin a lot of contactgroups to my start screen and after each update I have to repin everything. I wonder how it will be for websites.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

Unfortunately Microsoft never bothered to make it available in Australia

Microsoft is currently under the impression that the world ends at north americas borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I like that since the anniversary update I have been a victim of the "unable to connect to this wifi router" error again. I leave my home for five minutes, come back and it can no longer access the wifi unless I reboot.