Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

monster on a stick posted:

This is probably a better question for the Android thread.

True, but really I posted here because I was seeking like minded opinions without trying to get too deep into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

monster on a stick posted:

Oh. Well in that case I bought a 2013 Moto X on recommendations of the Android thread and am pretty happy, it has a bunch of the creature comforts she will be used to from WP but not too much bloat. The 2gb of RAM also helps (I think the G only has 1GB.) You won't have an SD card slot, but if the use case for lots of storage is music, Google Play takes care of that. You can also spring for the developer edition of the phone which has 32GB of onboard space. Biggest downside is a meh camera.

Ah thanks! 16 gigs should be enough storage for her. She takes a ton of baby pics, but that should be enough.

Uthor posted:

New Moto G does not have LTE. Last year's does. No one knows why they took it out.

Maybe it was.. toooo good. :tinfoil:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

OldPueblo posted:

If you're on AT&T, their Moto G has LTE and a MicroSD. I was surprised myself.

Cricket. Their $150 G has LTE so I'm guessing it's the older version.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Uthor posted:

Good news everybody (in select countries in Europe, Asia Pacific, the Middle East, and Africa and China)!

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/8/7513637/microsoft-lumia-830-930-nokia-gold-edition

What the gently caress is Microsoft's problem? When you are playing a very distant third, the last thing you need to be doing is region limiting poo poo like this.

You need to be spraying your product all over the planet like a cheap whore.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
App link here: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/phone-insider/ed2b1421-6414-4544-bd8d-06d58ee402a5

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jewmanji posted:

That's not too bad- a dark theme would definitely help (which they are apparently bringing to full-blown Officem so who knows). The enormous amount of white space still looks a bit too much like Android to me which I have a pavlovian response against.

Not even just office... they're doing a whole Dark Theme for Windows as a whole I believe.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Spotify is pretty great (premium subscriber here). I use it exclusively.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What the hell is a Room?

Using Windows 10 Tech Preview and other than glitchy hangs and poo poo I love it so far. Tons of nice tweaks. Nice having a built in timer and stopwatch!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Greatest thing about having 10 Tech Preview on my Cricket 630 is that I have internet sharing again!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

He's coming down here Mississip' way this month and he got swole as gently caress

Do you still play EVE Online, a bad game?

You mean there's TWO of us here in Mississippi that use Windows Phone?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

larchesdanrew posted:

Three! Let's all pretend our mouths are NFC capable.

This was the line I used in college all the time.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Microsoft's facebook page lists a Lumia 951 on an article about the 635. Typo or accidental leak?!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I just don't understand how, when starting from a very distant 3rd you don't just get balls to the wall aggressive with your mobile policy.

Does Microsoft honestly think they can be competitive with Google and Apple when they're day to day progress is slower than both of them AND they're starting so far behind?

It just boggles my mind.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

NyxBiker posted:

I really just hate every single direction Microsoft is taking towards their mobile and PC os's. I might be old fashioned but I'm still stuck on Windows 7 and I won't ever touch anything that has a metro layout or all that crap, on pc or mobile.
Also from what I've seen from a friend the lumias are not that good thing as advertised, yes they seem very smooth but it's quite confusional as an OS.

As much as I don't like how stagnant Windows Phone can become, it's DEFINITELY not... "confusional?" And is the slickest and easiest to use mobile OS in my opinion.

Also Windows 10 desktop OS is totally awesome and you should use it. They inherited the graphical flat-ness of "metro" and some of the tile layouts, but it's nothing like Windows 8. If you're a 7 holdout like myself you'll love it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Nah, please don't. I really hope it is bad defaults (or bad demo settins), but every screenshot so far looks incredibly cluttered and offensive.

Desktop or mobile?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Yeah I'm using the Windows 10 tech preview on my phone and it's... basically the same. Some tweaks here and there but it's not some different monstrosity. The settings menus are probably the biggest visual change and even then it's not something foreign or cluttered.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Welp. It was fun. Just ordered a Moto X. I'll keep my 630 around and keep an eye open to Windows 10, but I really just don't feel like MS is doing what it needs to to stay competitive in the market.

Think I'm going to give my old Samsung Focus a little Viking's Funeral.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
In other news, Gabe confirms new Windows Phone 10 builds supporting more phones: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/03/27/a-quick-update-on-windows-10-builds-for-phones-for-windows-insiders/
[/quote]

This was pretty frustrating... I thought fast track on the insider meant we'd get fast Windows 10 updates but all I ever got was the first time tech preview. And while I understand its a tech preview, it was broken enough to get frustrated at the complete lack of updates.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

loquacius posted:

Last time I used Android it was generally buggy as poo poo. Is this still the case? I ask because WP is still in two-strikes territory with me and nobody I know will ever let me live it down if I buy an iPhone.

I'm two weeks into my 2013 Moto X and loving it to be honest. Not buggy at all at the moment.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mr Funkface posted:

Realpost: Found my 920! Locate my phone is nice but doesn't help if you live vertically such as a New York apartment - it was in the building but not in my apt so yeah.

In other news however my accelerometer doesn't seem to work (screen doesn't rotate), and the auto-brightness seems to be borked toggling itself off when I set it to on. Any ideas on this? Loose connections in to the sensors inside? Battery Sense overriding?

Rotation lock isn't on by accident is it?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sbaldrick posted:

This might be a weird issue, but has anyone else not been able to open some apps on the Tech. preview. For the life of me I can't figure out why?

Apps that are incompatible perhaps? I had that problem with the first tech preview and I just figured they were just incompatible with Windows 10.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Windows Phone is now Windows 10 Mobile:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/13/8600053/windows-phone-is-now-windows-mobile

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah after using Android a bunch so far, it's definitely a fine OS and works well (and Motorola's add-ons are surprisingly well done) but it still just feels a bit like a mess. Like, definitely a design-by-committee thing. The app ecosystem is nice and it's great not venturing into the Play store worrying about "if they'll have an app for my OS!"

That said, I really feel the user experience pales in comparison to Windows Phone. And if they can get the app market situated with Astoria then I would absolutely come back.

Doing an OK Google Now voice command is ridiculous compared to Cortana.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RVProfootballer posted:

What do you mean?

Just seems MUCH faster. I have a 2013 Moto X which is a speedy phone. Doing a voice command I say:

"OK Google Now" then have to wait for the beep...can't just right into the command or it won't recognize.

I say "Text My Wife"... it takes a couple of seconds... then starts typing out the command I said.

Couple of seconds more then it basically performs a search of the command I issued it. A second or so later the search recognizes it as a voice command.

Then it performs the actual command... then I have to wait as it asks me to say the message.

Then I can send.

Just seems like it functions a lot slower than Cortana.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Stick100 posted:

Try dragging the home button up (Opens Google Now), then "Ok, Google" and your command.

You are using the hands free control (A special Motorola only feature) which is much slower but that has nothing to do with Google Now.

I think you will find the actual Google Now voice commands/information much better than Cortana (unless you are trying to figure out who will win a soccer match).

It's the same thing. I either go to Google Now manually THEN start the message or I just use it hands free from a completely locked screen which simply performs a Google Now command.

I just did it to be sure but it's the exact same thing except one has the initial step manually done versus voice done. Both take roughly the same amount of time.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Stick100 posted:

Touch the microphone in google now and try that way. That will also fire if you say "Ok Google" while at Google Now not "Ok Google Now". If you use "Ok Google Now" you're going through Motorollas special hands free activation even if the screen is on and you are at Google Now.

Going into Google Now manually and then hitting the microphone does take me all the way to that step that is essentially a google search and it does work a hair faster, but it's STILL just completing manually the exact same steps that the voice activation does. Again it's a hair faster, but kind of gets rid of the point of doing it all with my voice.

And "OK Google" does nothing at all when I'm in Google Now. The only command my phone will recognize, regardless of where I am, is Ok Google Now. Maybe I have a setting turned off?

edit: Actually yeah... going into Google Settings and looking at the "OK Google" detection... they are all grayed out and listed as "unavailable for this device."

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

hotsauce posted:

So, for fun, I decided to update my 635 to the 10 preview. 4 hours later, it finished.

The entire phone is broken. Non-responsive to taps, blurry text, janky everything. Clicking on a app to install on the store instantly closes the store and boots you back to the home screen.

Good thing it's a $29 wifi toy. Man, I sure hope Microsoft has some tricks up it's sleeve before the final release this fall

I realize the 635 is an absolute dog with the processor and 512mb RAM, but the DP completely fucks this device beyond recognition. It's kind of funny, actually.

I used the 10 preview on a 635 just fine. I think yours is an isolated case. You didn't really think your experience was indicative of the actual preview did you?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Welp.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/08/technology/microsoft-layoffs-7800/index.html

Good thing this sucker is on sale today:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OC0USA6?ref_=gbsl_tit_l-1_4822_9436fa74&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER (basically a $60 fire phone since it includes a year of prime).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RVProfootballer posted:

Seriously. If you're going to ditch WP for Android, don't buy an awful forked Android failure of a phone. In fact, don't buy whatever phone first catches your eye regardless of what it is, ask the Android thread and listen to their advice. You can get a good Android phone, but if you pick one at random, you'll probably be getting an awful one. "I bought Amazon's flagship phone that sold up to literally tens of thousands of units, after they put it on firesale, and I'm shocked it is awful to use!! Android suuucks"

To be clear I'm not even a WP user anymore... nor a FirePhone user. I just thought it was funny it popped up on the same day. I have a 2013 Moto X.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Not phone hardware news, but HERE Maps has been sold to Audi, Mercedes and BMW

http://gizmodo.com/nokia-has-sold-its-here-maps-to-audi-bmw-and-mercedes-1721699041

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Darth TNT posted:

They couldn't even be arsed to create a sales pitch for IE.

Ha, they probably weren't even allowed to I bet.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So tomorrow should be interesting. Latest rumor is google is going to have apps on Windows 10 phones?!?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ha, holding the pen eraser down launches Cortana. That's a nifty touch.

Although it has a one year battery life and is not rechargeable.

So, a new pen every year?? That sounds kinda dumb.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

OldPueblo posted:

My Dell Venue 8 Pro pen took a really thin AAAA battery, maybe this takes two? I don't see why it can't be battery powered, what makes you think they have to be thrown away?

I guess there might be some confusion, but this post from The Verge's liveblog: "It's not rechargable (they didn't want it to be), but it has 1 year of battery life."

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Wow that Surface Book looks loving sexy as hell.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

havenwaters posted:

Yeah it really does. Wonder how much this is going to cost and what nvidia gpu is in it.

I can't imagine it'd be cheap. I think they'll try to undercut Apple somehow, but I'm thinking starting at $1299?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ok so it's a convertible, tablet, can reverse to cover the keyboard (THANK YOU gently caress) and only cost $1500? Jesus.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

badjohny posted:

ok...i am confused. It looks like it is a pro 4 with a docking station that turns it into the pro book.

Well for the book, most of the processing power is in the base (i'm guessing there's a weaker secondary chip in the display to take care of basic tabletting needs?). So when you separate it into the tablet, it's not going to be as powerful as the Pro 4.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

havenwaters posted:

It looks like the intel cpu is in the display. The base has the nvidia GPU.

Ah, well there you go. That's pretty goddamned awesome considering you'd still get nice performance out of the Intel chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Combat Pretzel posted:

So that Google on W10M rumor is pretty much bullshit?

Guess so.

Also I want so bad for the app ecosystem to get better on W10. I'm chomping at the bit to go back to a Windows Phone goddamnit. Just incentivize the gently caress out of the devs Microsoft!