Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My iPhone is giving me some trouble and since I switched to all Windows for now I figured I'd give WinPhone a try. Should I basically be waiting for new hardware at this point? I haven't really kept up with WinPhone or Nokia at ALL so I don't know if we're on the verge of new shiny things to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OldPueblo posted:

Rather than drop some cash on a high end device, if you want to just try it out pick up a 520/521 for peanuts and dip your toe in the water. It gives you the full software/UI experience, you're only missing "some" performance benefits and hardware features (camera/NFC/hires/etc). If you decide you like it then it will tide you over till the device you want becomes available. Personally I think the 920/925/928/1020 are still great devices for what should be a decent lower price now. Don't burn any upgrades, get them second hand if you want something better than a 520/521. There is good new hardware, but some of them dropped some cool things or aren't available on all carriers. I'm personally waiting for what comes after the 930 which was JUST announced. My 1020 is doing just fine.

Thoughts on the 625? I'm not burning any upgrades, definitely all cash-in-hand. I'm not opposed to shelling out $200 or so. The 520/521 looks allright but I was hoping for something with a tad larger screen.

Sorry if this is a dumb line of questioning. Part of the reason I want to switch to WP is that I want to work on an app to interface with an in-house app we use, so I'm trying to balance price vs performance, etc. Honestly all I use my iPhone for these days is literally phone calls, email, twitter, and maybe some sudoku on the subway so I'm not terribly concerned about readjusting to WP as long as it can provide those basic functions :) .. Other than that, it'll be mostly just used for me to dev on.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's possible. I'm in Canada so unless you mean eBay I'm not sure where I'd find it for that, but I'll keep an eye out. I also have a Samsung Galaxy S3 that I'd be trading in if I went through Telus, which has the 625 for $200 - $70 rebate. Still weighing my options but I'm definitely considering the 625 unless you guys think it's a dud.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp, picked up the 625 since work is going to comp me part of the price for doing some coding on it. I know it's not a high end phone or anything, but really I just need something I can take calls on and hack away at.

Really dig WP8, just pulling up the 8.1 update now. Already had people tell me it was a weirdo move. I guess going from iPhone to WP is like french kissing Bill Gates over the open casket of Steve Jobs :(

Is there a dedicated WP app development thread? I saw some questions posed in here so I guess if there isn't anything better I'll throw them here as they come up. The only one I really have right now is whether it's possible to initiate a VPN connection from C# code.

Was really happy to realize that the DreamSpark subscription I picked up provides me a year of gratis app store access :cool:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 16, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So if Cortana replaces the regular "Search" thing, is there no way to scan QR codes anymore? Or am I just looking in the wrong place?

(edit: I mean, with the OS. I know I can download QR apps)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ahh. OK, that's neat. I hope they put it back in the search screen though, that was pretty convenient.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I asked Cortana what time it was and she took me to a bing search for "what time is it" so I set my region back to "Canada" because I don't need any help being clueless :downs:

Short of removing LinkedIn credentials, is there any way to remove LinkedIn contacts from the phone app's directory?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Uh, is there any way to tell the app store to stop keeping trying to download Nokia Cinemagraph and Nokia Panorama? I deleted them for a reason, please stop trying to reinstall yourself :mad:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Darth TNT posted:

So you're asleep, the phones sounds are all off. Why keep it on than?

Serves as your alarm? Caller breakthrough? Could be any number of reasons.

Most importantly, though: "Why not leave it on?"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Whoah whoah whoah, did I seriously just see this right? Is there no copy and paste functionality in the 8.1 email app?

This is borderline dealbreaker for me. I'm copying and pasting poo poo out of emails on the run a lot :(

I'm talking plaintext, not hyperlinks, etc. Seriously Microsoft, don't make me go back to Apple over this kind of bullshit.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh, gently caress. I was using an iOS "hold to select" highlight when all you do is tap on a word. My bad.

Hooray I love WinPhone again!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just praying for Chrome/WP. Not because I'm high and mighty about not wanting to use IE (though I do try to avoid it on the desktop), but goddamn I have so many Chrome bookmarks :(

Oh, and a good first-party Youtube app.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've been using my 625 for like a few weeks or a month now and I still can't get used to WP keyboard. There's just something about it that make me literally typo every word. I'm not sure whether the iPhone keyboard was any BETTER but maybe the error detection was more advanced? Can't really put my finger on why I'm so bad at this...

... much like I can't really put my finger on the keys I want :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

BonoMan posted:

If you're on WP8 and not using the swype style then the best advice I ever got was from Microsoft: "Don't pay attention to what you're typing. Try just stabbing in the general area and let the predictive figure it out." This has worked wonders for me. Just go real fast and stab in the general area of the key. The second I start trying to pay attention to what I'm doing, typing becomes an instant headache.

What's this swype style you're referring to? Is it available in 8.1? I was hoping for legit swype on WP but their website said it wasn't available and I all but lost hope.

edit: It's enabled by default and :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare:

edit2: It's not hyperbole to say that this literally changed my entire outlook of Windows Phone. Before this I was just "this is pretty good" and now this killed like the one misgiving I had about the platform. I'm on board.

Lack of Swype will probably keep me from ever going back to a native iOS device :\

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 9, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

LifeSizePotato posted:

Yeah, I had never tried Swype before but had always heard people rave about it on Android phones. I was blown away on WP8.1. It's gotta be the future of tiny keyboarding.

I need to teach it to swear though. People always thinking I'm talking about my shirt for some reason.

Don't get me wrong, I have some pretty nice shirts too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, I didn't realize my Lumia 625 didn't have a compass. I just kind of assumed all phones had those now. As a man who easily gets lost in the simplest of places this is kind of disappointing to me.

But hey, at least now I know what to look for in my next WinPho.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So is there anything in the store worth looking at as far as Youtube apps go? Or are they all just a dumb IE repackage that takes you to youtube.com?

IE plays youtube well enough, but I've been kind of spoiled by the Google Youtube app on my OG iPad.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Drastic Actions posted:

Metrotube is pretty good.

Oh wow, this is the bee's knees. Thanks!

Looking for a replacement for my OG iPad and was thinking about a Windows RT tab and the lack of a good youtube thing was kind of holding me back. Looks like this may put me over the edge :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I haven't actually picked out the target device yet. There are a lot of Dell Venue 8 Pro refurbs on eBay for about two hundred so I might just take a gamble on that and get a non-RT device.

Only reason I said RT was because I don't really plan to do much on it but run Youtube and check my email and didn't realize you could get cheap-ish non-RT devices :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is Cortana supposed to be wide-release on day one when carriers start deploying 8.1 or is Canada going to get a deferred rollout? Do we know?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That game locks up half the time on my 625. I mean the 625 isn't an amazing phone or anything but c'mon..

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I feel like some apps could be less vague, maybe add a title to their live tiles. The Metrotube tile shows video stills from your subscriptions I guess, but half the time I'm like "what the gently caress is this tile?" because it's just showing some random dude I don't recognize.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone have their WP8.1 intermittently stop responding to volume up/down buttons with the screen off? It happens so randomly on my 625. I hammered the vol-down when I pulled it out of my pocket this morning and it didn't respond until I woke up the screen. It's happened at least once before and then I can't replicate it again to save my life.

Hoping it's a known thing and not my brand new 625 being dumb.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well, I'll settle for it not just being my phone :q:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think I'm the only person on earth with no big beef with the Xbox Music app. Seems to work ok for me, but I really only use it like once a day for an hour and don't really look at it. Pretty much the definition of "works for me v:q:v"

Of all the quirks I've found with WP8.1, the music app is way down the list. I actually keep meaning to come up with a list of little things I want to ask about but they're so trivial that I always forget about them until.. they happen again.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't know why they call it Xbox Music in the app itself, but the icon is just "Music". I don't have an Xbox either so I don't actually know how much it has to do with an Xbox other than the branding.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a way to check if my Lumia 625 is carrier locked, short of plugging in an out-of-network SIM? I've checked all the Info areas in Settings, but I'm not really sure what to look for. One of the Info readouts shows a version number for SIM Unlock but I'm not sure if that's even relevant.

Just want to make sure this phone is OK to travel with, but I don't have access to a different SIM.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't put my finger on exactly why, because it usually happens in a flash, but it seems like it's ridiculously easy to decline a call on a WP. I'd say that like 75% of the time that I pull the phone out of my pocket and slide up to answer the call, for some reason the phone either drops the call or I'm hitting decline somehow. Not exactly sure.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was also kind of disappointed that my 625 doesn't have a compass which would have been really handy since I have zero ability to determine which way I'm going if I'm not familiar with the immediate surroundings so having to refresh GPS every few seconds to tell if I'm going east or west is kind of annoying. Not sure how that plays into your fitness thing, if at all, but maybe worth knowing.

I'm generally happy with WP8.1 but I think I'm going to look at upgrading my hardware sooner rather than later. 625 is nice with a few quirks here and then that just make me want something a little better.

Mostly it just feels like such a "meh" phone. Nothing AWFUL about it, but there's nothing really imaginative about it either. Feels like Nokia's mission here was to make the most bland, inoffensive phone ever, and I think they succeeded pretty well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The more I use WinPhone, the more I find that developers use the back button inconsistently and I really wish it would stop. Is it going to take me back to the last sheet? Is it going to exit the app outright? It's anyone's guess!

Or at least that's how it seems from my viewpoint. Maybe they are using it consistently and I'm just doing it wrong? Either way it seems messy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, I was complaining about it and didn't cite specific examples so that's bad on me. I'll have to come up with some apps, sorry.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

To be fair, it is probably pretty hard to use the back button when you have paws without opposable thumbs.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm pretty sure that the guys who wrote the Waze port to WP have never actually used it.

It's awfully buggy, but at the same time it's pretty good giving directions.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

clandestine cactus posted:

Why do people still have music collections when nearly everything is available via streaming, and wifi is more common than decent toilet paper?

Genuine question.

Because I live in Canada which has poo poo data plans and I'm commuting like four hours every day. It would probably be cheaper to hire a band to sit on the train with me and play music than it would to go over my stupid bitcap by streaming their music :|

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No idea what MS did but this morning a bunch of my apps seemed to lose their preferences. Weather was removed from my lock screen. When I launched it, it claimed that there were new Terms to accept, which is fine. The pinned icon on my phone reverted to generic "weather" though, and when I pinned the location I usually have pinned, it created a second Weather tile.

Also when I tried to launch MetroTube it told me there was an error, I needed to upgrade to paid or re-download it. I deleted it but now I can't find the free one in the store so I don't know if that's the reason. If that's the case, that's sort of a lovely way to run an app store -- to force people to delete an app that they've been using just because a paid one is out.

edit: I think I'm a shitter and that Metrotube thing was just my "trial" running out because I found it on the store again and clicked "try" and it's running OK again until I guess my trial runs out again. Should just give the dude $0.99 already.

The rest of the stuff I still have no explanation for though.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 3, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm doing pretty much the same transition, from my 625 to an older Galaxy S3, mainly because of the lack of a few apps. I haven't considered my WP experiment a failure or anything, but much as I'm not a fan of Android, it did feel liberating to not feel like a second class citizen, as you put it.

WP has a lot of promise and I'll hang onto my 625 (because why not, it's a cheapo phone) to keep testing new releases on, but for now I think I'm about to make the switch back.

So far my biggest gripe is not being able to tap the screen to turn on the phone. That's a feature that I love :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I recommend Waze, but the WP port seems to be very buggy for me. I'm not sure it's fair to say that when I'm running a beta OS, but my problem is that whenever it calculates a route it gets stuck at the calculation screen until I back out of the app entirely. I think the app itself is still working underneath the calculation screen, but I dunno.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The "low end" thing sort of hit me with my 625 when I tried to use it to get some directions in Toronto and BAM I realize it doesn't have a compass.

I guess I should have checked the specs or something, but I thought it was part of the GPS or accelerometer chipsets these days so I was kind of all :rolleyes: ..

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

wormil posted:

After 2 weeks+ with a WP I've having ups and downs. I love the interface but haven't found a nav app that suits me, and still haven't found a good Trakt compatible tv series app that is as easy to use as Series Guide on Android. Here Maps and Here Drive are frustrating, it's like they were meant to be one app but were split for no fathomable reason. Tried Maps+, no improvement. Tried Mapquest but it frequently crashes. Also every nav app closes if the phone sleeps or you open another app, sometimes they will resume, sometimes not, very frustrating in use. The downloaded maps is a nice feature though. Most apps are as good or better than Android equivalents. Everyone is impressed with the Lumia speaker, I have to admit it sounds good for a phone. Indigo is a lot of fun, has more personality and better sense of humor than Siri. Tmobile hasn't pushed 8.1 yet so I can't test Cortana.

I'm mostly using GPS CoPilot or Waze, depending on how I feel. Waze has some crippling bugs but when it works it's allright. GPS CoPilot doesn't seem to watch to follow my car by default so I have to hit the GPS button which really should be the default behaviour, otherwise it's OK.

I was looking for a decent Google Maps implementation but they all seem to suck a lot, so I just resigned myself to using the built in Maps app for general "where am I right now?" map usage. It's allright. Not great, but allright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there an app I can use to import a GPX or TCX file and have the phone do nothing more than display the route and my position relative to it?