Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

ManSedan posted:

A few years ago my phone broke while I was in Germany so I got myself a 635, and I used it until I got myself an iPhone. I recently pulled it out of a drawer to mess around with and dang it if I don't still really enjoy using WP. I have s little disposable income and the 650 is within my budget but reading online seems there's a lot of complaints about the battery. Since most info I can find about the device is months old, any goons have one and can offer for their thoughts in what is most certainly a poor purchasing decision?

gently caress I wish I could get this exact keyboard on my iPhone.

You can. Wordflow keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Factor Mystic posted:

Wordflow is great on iOS. The only thing is, is that it doesnt suggest emoji. But there's an emoji panel to pick them.

Huh? It does on mine.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I know the Surface 4 is nice, but is the Surface Book? I never see it mentioned in good laptops to buy discussions.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I found the transitioning to an iPhone from WP was a lot easier than Android. Didn't help that the Nexus 4 I bought used was garbage.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I went back to my iPhone and about the only time I think of Windows phone is when I see there are posts in this thread and have a morbid curiosity if the platform has admitted its death yet.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I had a Nexus 5 and I'm pretty much iPhone for life because of it.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

CharlesM posted:

The Nexus line is known to be unstable and intentionally has a limited life span.

Sweet. That's what you want from a phone.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I really am one of the people who do not care that much if the app ecosystem is a bit weak, the WP7 team were right day 1 that very few real people would ever install more than a dozen apps, and most would fall into a small number of categories. The lack of actual finish harms it badly though.

This was the absolute dumbest stance they could have taken and most the failures WP had in getting market share can be traced back to that idea. This is the same team that initially tried to convince consumers that copy/paste was an unnecessary feature for this platform.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Foxtrot_13 posted:

They were right, most people will only ever use a small amount of apps.

The problem is the apps used is different from person to person.

That and a complete lack of some the most popular apps.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Guys I'm sure the Surface phone will be out any minute and it'll be groundbreaking.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Yeah, loving up and buying a bad android put me on the iPhone train for the foreseeable future.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
2017, and the fact we can't use bold, italics, or be able to export texts into a file blows my mind.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You're not even on 10? :psyduck: At least that gets updated in some fashion. There's levels of masochism that no-one should sanction.

Push notifications are being turned off for 7 and 8.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/19/17027562/microsoft-windows-phone-push-notifications

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I'm so glad none of my friends remember when I used to swear up and down the WP would get like 25% market share, because that would be embarrassing.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
When I abandoned WP I got a used Google Nexus (don't remember which). The phone was garbage. It broke after two months and the UX was awful. I remember Hangouts was a thing at the time, and it seemed like Android was confused on even what their stock text messaging app should be. Used an iPhone ever since and it's been fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1106937626387513344?s=21

Metrotube was so much better than YouTube's app.