Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I had a backup 920 for some reason, so I loaded 8.1 onto it last night. If I can get everything set up I'll probably just switch my SIM card over and start using it as my main phone.

I am in the process of loading 7,000 mp3s to it at the moment. Exactly how hosed will I be when I load the music app for the first time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Trip report:
After adding my 7000+ mp3s, it went through and cataloged the songs first time through and appears to be working somewhat normally now. When I hit "artists" it takes maybe 3-4 seconds to populate the list which is lame, but hardly horrible. I think the reason I'm having less issues is possibly that my 7000+ files are mostly short reference audio files tagged under only a couple artists rather than traditional albums though.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

While I certainly see the issues people are having with the music app, but humorously enough it fixes the two issues that have driven me nuts so it's almost an improvement. The first was that there was no way to search your music and the second was that multi-disc albums didn't sort correctly.

I did find a podcast that doesn't work even when I try to manually add the URL to the app. It works fine in Zune and iTunes so I'm thinking it's a bug on the app side, rather than the XML. Xylo, is there a place so submit these issues?
http://www.podcastone.com/podcast?categoryID2=398

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

After a good first day 8.1 preview has been giving me hell the last 24 hours on my 920. Yesterday the phone appeared to freeze during the night and my alarm didn't go off in the morning. Then last night I felt a hot feeling in my pocket and found the phone hot to the touch and unresponsive. I hard rebooted (using the power and volume down buttons), but it wasn't very pleasant and I was left with like 5% battery.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I'm like 500 posts behind on this thread so maybe its been covered before, but the last couple of times I've sync'd music to my 920 running the 8.1 preview it hasn't updated the music in the Xbox music app. I can't find a way to force it. I've tried everything I could think of without luck. I'm using the Windows Phone for Desktop app FWIW.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Charles Martel posted:

In MixRadio, XBox Music, or Awful Music on WP 8.1, how do I stop multi-disc albums from showing up all in one list? It will look like this:

Disc 1 - Track 1
Disc 2 - Track 1
Disc 1 - Track 2
Disc 2 - Track 2
etc
etc

I tried retagging all of the albums with Mp3Tag which assigned disc number tags to the mp3s, but no dice. Am I missing something or is it just more Windows Phone hijinks?

Edit: Figured it out. I had to go back and literally put Disc 1, Disc 2, Disc 3, etc. in the Album title in Mp3Tag for the Windows apps to separate them. I guess it completely ignores the disc number tag. That was driving me crazy.

Weird, it's worked fine for me ever since I went to 8.1 with only the disc # tag.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Thinking about either the 530 or 635 for my wife for her first smartphone. She's coming from literally a six year old flip phone that crashes when someone sends her a group text, so the needs are not exactly high. Seems like 635 doesn't offer a whole lot more for a lot more money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

I tried to reset my Lumia 925 via the about menu > reset. This has caused the phone to go into an infinite reboot loop. Any ideas how how to fix this? Occasionally while rebooting, there's a frowny face emote, if that helps.

Go download this tool from Microsoft. It will allow you to reimage the phone. For some reason doing a complete restore on a phone causes the issue you experienced pretty commonly. I had the same thing with a 920 a few years ago. Super annoying.