Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
From the short preview videos I've seen it looks like 10 will be a somewhat mixed bag. There's definitely some great, elegant new features that make a lot of sense (everything in notifications, getting the settings menu a little bit more in order), but for every interesting new feature, there seems to be a head-scratching change that doesn't bring anything to the platform and just chips away further at the WP aesthetic. It looks like they aren't even using Segoe as the font of choice in the settings menu, and why is it all of a sudden a white background in the nested settings? Why did the dialer need to change, and go away (again) from the carousel? Why put in new "proper" backgrounds but eliminate the ones from 8.1? It just seems like another case where for every new and exciting feature, there will be another thing I will miss. Aside from the start screen itself, the GUI is starting to slowly mutate into Google, both in its general aesthetic and its lack of consistency.

Also, app loading still seems to be a little bit slow- I hope that'll get optimized and be a little better on whatever flagships are coming out. I'm getting so jealous of the buttery smoothness of iOS- something I never used to complain about with WP.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/12/8017935/windows-10-for-phones-download-preview

Ok e-mail (are we calling it Outlook?) looks fantastic. I'm not crazy about the calendar (bot for people who actually have busy lives it seems like a definite improvement), but it will be interesting to see what the Accompli acquisition brings to the table there. Also that Xbox Music interface looks really great. There's a bunch to look forward to here.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

xylo posted:

I'm just going to leave this here

Ok ok I'm only complaining because I love the platform so much :hfive:

To reiterate, some of what's shown in those (admittedly) brief videos looks really exciting- the interface they've created for comprehensive editing options in Word looks fantastic, and will probably translate to some other applications cleverly.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
How much has been said so far about the potential "continuum"-like features between WP10 and W10? Will it basically be tab syncing in IE/Spartan and Skype stuff?

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

It's stupid to bitch about the horrible UI at this point, after all remember how bad the Windows 8 preview looked compared to the fin-

What must it be like to be so intimately familiar with something that causes you so much aggravation?

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 14, 2015

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

You tell me

Really though, the problem is just not that the changes exhibited so far are idiosyncratic due to the early nature of the builds, it's that the direction they're going towards is seemingly as generic as possible, to the point where I wonder what exactly their selling point with WP will be when the final goal is to basically make it look and operate like Android 3.x.

We're not completely in the dark here, we have a good look at Windows 10 and recent apps on both WP, Windows and Android/iOS demonstrate what their direction is likely going to be, and from all indications the change coming is basically to remove anything unique about the platform from a design & operation perspective in the name of...making it easier to port apps? Being less alienating to new users? Who knows, but then what's the draw for WP, especially when all of MS services/apps will be on Android/iOS, and third party developers already have the other bases covered? This grand universal app future?

It's not like the design of WP is just some bulletpoint on a feature list, really - WP doesn't have much aside from the basic operation of its interface and a low price point to promote it at this point. You remove that one distinctive feature of it, and what's the pull here?

I love the platform, despite my grievances :shrug:

It just seemed that 8.1 wasn't very well-optimized. My complaint that you quoted is an easily fixable one, it's not some structural or philosophical flaw that I expect will ruin the experience on W10 with a modern phone.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

loquacius posted:

I think I'm basically at the point where I'm willing to wait until (a) my 920 becomes unusable or (b) Win10 launches, and if my faith in the platform hasn't been restored by then I'll switch away. To something. Depending on whether I have less distaste for Apple or Google whenever that happens. And, full disclosure, I'm a former MS employee who worked on the WP team (SDET, email app) from the tail end of 7.0 through NoDo/Mango to the preliminary work for WP8. So that's saying a lot.

(I still maintain that Mango was the best release, and not only because that's what I did most of my work on :colbert:)

Mango owned. Thanks for all the memories :smith:

Most of this is fine. I remember cringing the first time they revealed the WP8 start screen, and once I had it in hand I liked it a lot- I'm assuming I'll get used to WP10 just like I have every iteration. Though it looks like they are taking most of their design cues from the old PC game Uplink

If someone actually went out of their way to replicate this I would go kind of bananas.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 17, 2015

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
A family member's Lumia poo poo the bed over a dead microphone (just like my 920), and had it replaced with a HTC M8 (the only "decent" phone currently available on Verizon). This thing is such a second class experience it's unbelievable. Is there really no way to revert from the extra tiles view that came with 8.1 back to the traditional tile layout from 8.0? Did they get their own firmware specifically to remove features? Software buttons are awful, and there's no dedicated hardware button. I mean I appreciate that they are trying to be cost-effective and throw WP users a bone by making a port of the HTC One, but come on...

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Settings > Start + theme, turn off Show More Tiles.

That doesn't appears in the M8. It does on my 920, so I know exactly what you're referring to.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

It's probably like the 1520 then, in that the extra column isn't optional because of the phone's size. :(

That's what I figured. Which is dumb, becauase the M8 is much smaller than the 1520, and is much more like the 920 and 1020. Why go the extra mile to remove a feature? It's just stupid.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah, amidst the news of two new phones, I feel like the bigger news that no one is talking about is essentially the nail in the coffin for Windows Phone and Verizon. It's a total scandal that Verizon gets to use their size to force manufacturers to essentially make phones specifically for their network, and it ends up causing issues like this. It's one thing when you have a successful platform like Android and iPhone where your carrier is less of a determining factor in what phone you're able to get, but for as long as Windows Phone has existed, the experiences for people on the different US carriers has been wildly different. I'm very thankful I switched to AT&T to get the Samsung Focus way back when. It's hard to believe that Microsoft's strategy is to tell two good phones on one of the four major carriers and expect OEMs to pick up the slack for the first time ever in the platform's history.

I also wonder if Panos Panay getting promoted will mean a Surface phone is on the way, and if so when. I imagine the development of the original surface was 3-4 years in the making.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
So Verizon seems to be not supporting the 950 and 950XL because as usual they have a miserable relationship with Microsoft. Cool. The drat phones even have CDMA, this is ridiculous.

http://www.windowscentral.com/verizon-reportedly-blocking-new-microsoft-lumia-950?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

.Tim posted:

Came here to post that. If this is true and they're blocking the phones I don't know how that's even legal. I left Verizon for the original Windows Phone (Focus) and not only their lack of support but their apparent vendetta against Microsoft is why I'll never go back. Even if I leave Windows Phone. gently caress Verizon.

I share your frustration but there's nothing even close to illegal about it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Hah, you remember the Icon, right? A flagship WP phone? Seems far more likely it sold for poo poo and Verizon has no interest in another WP model that won't sell than there being anything like a "vendetta".

Any lack of substantive sales can be blamed squarely on Verizon themselves- they've moved many more units of countless less impressive phones. Their reticence to back the platform is an established fact.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
That will be the killer feature for me moving forward. I know that iOS/OSX already has that, but it's a completely critical must-have feature now. Could be frustrating to not be able to turn Cortana off though.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I'm sad that they got rid of the main home screen animation of the tiles exploding to the left. I miss so much stuff in older versions :(

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I tried the 950 in the store. All the reviews are accurate- it's incredibly underwhelming. I don't know if it's the demo software layer that they put on in-store phones, but Windows 10 seems like a mess (I haven't tried any of the builds). Even the core apps greet you with a short ellipses when you load them. I've been on-board since the Focus, and I think I'm jumping ship now. Just an insulting lack of effort from Microsoft.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Is there any reason to suspect the Lumia 730 won't get WP10? I know that Verizon is all but abandoning the platform, but presumably existing phones will be upgraded, correct?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Verizon users: do you have visual voicemail baked into the OS like AT&T, or do you have to access it through that lovely Verizon voicemail app?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I just got a 950 and the software is unforgivably buggy. I've been trying to associate my Microsoft account with this thing for hours, but most of the buttons on the Accounts and Settings screen either don't register, or the entire Settings app just loads a blank screen. This is the biggest bunch of bullshit.

Edit: in the You Email and Accounts page (again, when it chooses to load), I have three options.

1) "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead." This option for some reason prompts me to search for an app in the store, when I click Yes, it brings me to a blank page that is *maybe* the new store? Except the only things on the page are a hamburger menu, the word home, and a search button

2) Add an account". This button does nothing

3) "Add a work or school account". This button does nothing.

This is utterly pathetic.

edit2: Also hitting the back button from that screen gives me 30 seconds of "Resuming...". How on earth was this RTM?

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 12, 2015

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Factory reset seems to have done the trick- I skipped a lot of the initial set up in the AT&T store when the phone first booted, I think that was my mistake. For anyone with a dual-SIM 950, is there a way to have your phone forget that its dual-sim? I don't really want two dialers, two messaging apps, etc.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Thanks all for the advice. Last question- if an app is greyed out on the start screen, but doesn't appear in the proper app list, and is considered installed when you see it from the marketplace, is the only recourse to hard reset again? I'm experiencing this even with some core apps (i.e. the Reminders app for Cortana, and Data Sense).

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah, after a day of use, I can join the chorus in saying that WM10 was simply not ready for release. It feels loose and jittery in the way Android use to (or still sometimes does). Any feature from WP8.1 that has migrated over seem to work less smoothly- tiles don't update as automatically, texts don't send as quickly, the touch sensitivity of the screen hasn't been optimized, some settings menus look like they were out of an alpha build, the messaging app is now noticeably harder to use, and on and on. There have been some nice improvements- calendar and mail feel like they'll be great in about 6 months, and Edge is a few updates away from being fantastic. Just having Reading List sync between my phone and PC is incredible (and a feature I thought we were going to see in WP8 with the Reading List app, alas...)

I'll also just say as a sidenote, that the demo configuration that all of the phones have in the stores are terrible, and make the phones look like absolute poo poo (helped in no part by the ugly new Windows 10 logo being used as a background). A lot of my misgivings about WP10's style faded once I set it up the way I like it. I don't think they'll be attracting many new customers with those demo units.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Oh also if anyone is curious, getting an unlocked, dual-SIM 950 from Microsoft will make it impossible to get visual voicemail. Hooray.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I think my favorite feature of WP10 is when I'm attaching photos to a text or e-mail, the touch targets are so messed up that when you click on one photo, a completely different photo will be checked, and it will take 3-5 attempts to get the right one, or backing out of the attachments window entirely and trying again.

Also why on Earth, when clicking on highlighted date/time in an email/text does it bring up a whole new card for creating a calendar item, instead of letting Cortana handle it as was handled in 8.1? How many new "features" like this did Microsoft create at the expense of optimizing the existing features?

On the positive side, the camera is lightning fast and 60 fps slow motion is awesome. Also it's great to have an OLED screen again.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

The touch response is actually pretty annoyingly fiddly compared to my 920. Picks up movements I make just after I lift my finger from the glas or just before I put it down etc, causing things to feel like they are jumping around during normal use. Near as I can tell there is no longer any setting for adjusting it?

Yeah, I've noticed this too. The start screen seems well configured, but a bunch of apps (photos, email etc.) suffer from lots of errant taps, touches and drags.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

Thanks all for the advice. Last question- if an app is greyed out on the start screen, but doesn't appear in the proper app list, and is considered installed when you see it from the marketplace, is the only recourse to hard reset again? I'm experiencing this even with some core apps (i.e. the Reminders app for Cortana, and Data Sense).

So I just did a hard reset to see if any of these things would install and I'm still out of luck. On the initial setup, Twitter was experiencing this same issue and seemed to work the second time around, but I'm still unable to use Data Sense, Storage Sense, and the Cortana Reminders. Anyone have any last advice before I return this piece of poo poo?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
My new Lumia 950 gave me about 12 hours of what I would consider relatively light usage today (under similar circumstances I think my 920 would've lasted 18). Should I exchange the phone, or the battery?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

hotsauce posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the buggy OS.

Yeah, the messaging app is probably the most egregious part of Windows 10. It's so buggy in so many ways, I can barely describe it. One of the most frustrating examples though, is that if I'm in a text thread and send out a new text, it can take up to 5 seconds for it to migrate from the text input field to the chat history part of the screen (that's if the keyboard doesn't freeze). Then, if I receive a text back, I have to actually leave the app in order for the text to appear. It won't appear in the thread, nor in the messaging home screen, until I restart the app. And the live tile simply doesn't update or shows a text that is 5 up in the chain.

So given all of that poo poo, I check out the battery usage (not with Battery Sense mind you, since that no longer exists), and it turns out Messaging is absorbing about 50% of my battery.

Which explains why yesterday I left for work on 100% and had to put my phone on battery saver my 11:00 am, and power down by 1:00 for a few hours to ensure I had enough battery for the trip home.

Oh and the standard Nokia wireless charger I've been using for years with my 920 is apparently not compatible.

Time to find out what an iPhone feels like. I've loved Windows Phone from day 1, and been an embarrassingly vocal evangelist for a long time, but there's nothing here for me anymore. When their own core apps can't seem to get live tiles to work, the game is up. They are simply too many steps behind iPhone and Android. Now they are going to spend the next 6 months optimizing the base OS so that's it's as stable and pleasurable as...WP7 was?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

Is anyone able to get Cortana reminders made on Win10 to sync to their W8.1 phone? Mine appear to be device-specific.

This makes no sense? They all use Qi technology.

Yeah I don't understand it. The coils on the back cover must be in a slightly different place. Unless there's a way to turn it on/off in settings that I'm unaware of.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

That's not a big deal as I always go wired on the road and wireless at home. I'm not thrilled that I'll need to buy the new plates for what's already an overpriced phone but I'm not switching to iOS for my mobile after I noticed the keyboard will always capitalize "apple" even if you are writing about the fruit and not the company.

For someone who is so opposed to the reality distortion field of Apple, you seem slavishly and ironically obedient to a phone that is embarrassingly bad.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

If I buy a pair of charging plates and a 950 I'm still hundreds of dollars up on buying a 6S with a functional amount of storage.

What good is a phone with functional storage if it's an absolute nightmare to use? The software as it stands is objectively and literally worse than WP7 in myriad ways.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Ever since I factory resetted my 950, none of my photos have been syncing to OneDrive. Where am I supposed to go to check the setting for this? In the OneDrive app? The Pictures Hub? The OneDrive site? It always seems to happen so automatically that I've never had to figure out how to sync manually (and yes, my phone has been plugged in and on Wi-Fi, I haven't been able to sync anything for close to a month now).

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Someone in this thread was mentioning Cortana disappearing, correct? Is the only current fix to factory reset or try to upgrade to a new build (and thus void the warranty?) I still can't get any photos to upload to OneDrive, and need to return this phone by the end of the week, but of course the charger they provide isn't the detachable kind for phone -> computer connections. This whole experience has been such a frustration.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I'm on my second 950, and I still can't get through a work day without charging the thing (very mild usage- three of four checks of Twitter, maybe 25-50 texts, and that's it). If this thing can't last as long as my 920, I'll have no choice but to get an iPhone. Is anyone getting decent battery life on this thing?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I tried to take a screenshot of a tweet and send it as a picture to my friend over text. I hit the screenshot button and saw the "saving to screenshots..." text on the top of the screen. Of course when I try to attach a picture from messaging the screenshot isn't there. I try it a half dozen more times, and it just won't save to my phone. Ok well, I guess I'll copy and paste the URL into the textbox. So I highlight the text and hit the copy paste button. I go into the messaging app and guess what? Copy-paste fails. I try it 6 more times and it fails each time. I finally have to resort to "share this page".

Microsoft, what the gently caress are you doing?

s.i.r.e. posted:

I think a new update might have gotten through or something that messes with this. I've seen that "SIM or phone settings have changed" message three times now. Probably more considering all the restarts, I just didn't get to see the message.

Is it super warm to the touch? You might have that screwed up update that just drains the poo poo out of the phone. I had to reset the phone to get through it.

It doesn't get super warm, no. This is my second 950 through several updates and it still does this.

Snakes in a can posted:

I usually get a day out of my 950XL with moderate use, ive played around with alot of the background app settings and found that turning off apps like facebook and edge, that has helped a fair bit. it shows you what apps are using power and you can turn them off.

In background I have: Mail + Calendar, Messaging + Skype, Microsoft Phone, Windows Alarms & Clock.

Note also that even leaving alarm running in the background didn't ensure that my alarm went off this morning. I was 15 minutes late to work. Thanks again, Microsoft!

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 26, 2016

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Well I never used to have to charge my phone by noon, so WP8 had that going for it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Partycat posted:

I don't have to do that on my 640 with Bluetooth to my band and WiFi all day... And this is a cheap pos. I would check for something odd like weird pop3 email checks, stuck web syncs, and, well, hard reset it and see what happens.

If my screen is on for hours at a whack playing videos and such it will drain but not in my pocket all day :/

Yeah, I mean I've had 2 of these phones, and I've hard reset them both several times, and tried them each on various builds. I obsessively close all my open tabs on edge, and even leaving it in battery saver mode and having my 2 email accounts sync 2-4 hours doesn't help much. I also never have location on, which means I can never use Cortana. I have 3 weeks to return this thing and decide whether to get yet another 950, or finally just concede and buy my first iPhone.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
My 950 is apparently hemorrhaging data. 12 out of the last 17 days have used over .5 GB (I basically use my phone for internet/twitter/SMS/email only). I went to bed at 10:30 last night, and from 12:00 until the early morning I somehow used up 312 MBs. I've turned off photo syncing to OneDrive (though it never worked in the first place), and will have to leave my phone on airplane mode overnight now.

This phone just gets better and better.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

wookieepelt posted:

There is a known but regarding messaging sync in the background. Disable that in the settings and it should go back to normal.

Hm, I think I remember seeing something about that reported a few weeks ago. I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It’s interesting to see how all-in the original design was on centering social networks. The phone really assumed you were going to always be a Facebook user and that Facebook was always going to be king. They failed to anticipate that a lot of people would flee that platform, others would arise etc. Remember the struggle over getting SnapChat on WP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Huh? I mean they had problems with getting devs to port apps for sure, but I'm not sure where you're getting that they put all their eggs in the FB basket and didn't foresee anything else. FB was the biggest at the time and of course had their own official app. But the idea behind the phone itself is the people hub could grow to adapt to aggregate new networks. Unfortunately that integration relied on cooperating devs, which didn't happen.

Yeah, I guess that's fair. I think what I meant was that the centrality of Facebook to the WP experience feels very 2012, and would be very off-putting now (to me, at least). As you say, the inability to port apps in a timely fashion (or at all) was part of the perceived downfall of the platform.

That said though, those social networks would've been a vestigial experience within the OS, not deeply embedded the way FB was, right? I'm thinking for instance of how each individual Contract card could show their most recent FB status or something (it's been so long I can't really remember). But even if Instagram or SnapChat or TikTok or whatever had released apps for the phone, it would exist only within that specific app's environment- it wouldn't deeply link with the other features of the phone, right? Like, didn't the Photos hub also siphon photos from Facebook? That level of integration required a significant partnership between the companies, and Microsoft was probably wrong to bet that every new platform would have that level of buy-in unless/until Microsoft reached appropriate levels of market penetration. And even then, as Wizard of the Deep says, maybe not even then, since it'd be cutting off their ad revenue for no reason.