Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Jewmanji posted:

Does anyone who has a gmail account synced to their phone use 2-step authentication? In lieu of Heartbleed I finally changed my Gmail password and enabled two-step authentication, and now my phone won't accept my password (or the temporary 6-digit code they text me). Are they incompatible?

You need to use an application specific password for the client - generate one in the security settings of your account and use that to log in with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?
So after the 8.1 update my AT&T 1020 now has Data Sense. Which is great.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Maneki Neko posted:

On past updates, have things like this gone away once you get the actual carrier update for firmwares and such?

It was never there on any update (even the developer preview 8.0 release 3 one) so I have no way of answering that.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Dr Tran posted:

I don't know what to do with all this space after enabling extras tiles.

More tiles. Never stop adding tiles.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

CubanMissile posted:

Any good weather apps that will work with the new 8.1 backgrounds? Weatherflow doesn't seem to yet. :(

Blue Skies

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

MyFaceBeHi posted:

(hey, I don't like being disturbed at night)!

So go into the settings and turn on and configure quiet hours?

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

HorseHeadBed posted:

The end of the year?! But I'm jonesing for a phonesing NOW NOW NOW.

But thanks. That's good to know...

And it's not getting any of the shiny new camera functions that are coming in Cyan - basically, at this point, view the 1020 as abandoned hardware.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Martytoof posted:

Oh wow, this is the bee's knees. Thanks!

Looking for a replacement for my OG iPad and was thinking about a Windows RT tab and the lack of a good youtube thing was kind of holding me back. Looks like this may put me over the edge :)

Keep in mind not all windows phone apps are rt apps, and vice versa.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I haven't actually picked out the target device yet. There are a lot of Dell Venue 8 Pro refurbs on eBay for about two hundred so I might just take a gamble on that and get a non-RT device.

Only reason I said RT was because I don't really plan to do much on it but run Youtube and check my email and didn't realize you could get cheap-ish non-RT devices :)

Hell, you can get a *new* venue 8 pro for $200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

1. No Rotate toggle in quick settings :smith:
5. This is my personal preference, but I prefer vertical scrolling for apps instead of horizontal scrolling. Horizontal arrangement seems a bit visually busy sometimes.
7. Related to 6 – getting a notification in WP 8.1 lights up the screen briefly and you can tap on the notification banner to access whatever it is the notification wants you to see. On the Moto G, the phone makes a noise but that’s it.
13. Typing on the keyboard using swiping seems to require more accuracy on Android than WP. I'll maybe try the Swype keyboard to see how I get on, I'm just using the stock one at the moment.
14. Lack of a Linked Inbox is a bit annoying.

1. It's in Android L, for phones. Tablets have had it for ages for some reason.

5. 3rd party launchers all pretty much offer this.

7. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lukekorth.screennotifications&hl=en - even lets you pick which apps.

13. Google keyboard's swipe is... not fantastic. But, hey, take your pick of a dozen other good options.

14. K-9 mail does, and I find I prefer it to the google mail clients, generally.