Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I am very excited for the release of the next generation of Windows Phone hardware! A lot of the stuff in 8.1 is much needed, here's to good operating systems on cheap hardware! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

xylo posted:

becoming nothing more then "dumb pipes" again for the second time in less then 2 decades.

The hell does this even mean?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Wait wait wait hold the phone. XBOX Music is even worse than the prior stock music app? The one which flat out refused to read id3 tags properly and wouldn't display embedded album art? Now it chugs on indexing too?

Damnit Microsoft, I was rooting for you so hard on this one too. :eng99:

That really irks me since much of my day to day is media playback. Admittedly I'll usually only carry around 25-30 albums. Once it's done populating the index things are relatively kosher though, right? I can deal with the wonky tags and lack of art, but if that poo poo chugs switching albums so help me god..:argh:

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 15, 2014

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Yeah I've given it plenty of time (and massive battery drain) to ensure it's indexed my catalog fully and it still chunks when scrolling through albums & artists at times, and has had some particularly hilarious attempts at matching album art from Xbox's music catalog to my own music.

Go home Xbox music team you are drunk

Now, be really specific here. Is this because you have a massive music collection on a slow read SD card? Or is it because the interface has somehow just gotten all ppppbbbbbthththththth gently caress you end user.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I don't know if anyone noticed but Newegg has Nokia 521s on memorial day sale for a whopping $59 before tax. Good if you want a device to screw around with or a backup beater phone.

Link

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
You can't turn around 15+ years of horrible corporate environment in a single fiscal quarter.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Maneki Neko posted:

Well TMobile 635 has an actual date now, still not poo poo for 8.1 devices from AT&T though. :(

http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/07/01/power-packed-lumia-635-launches-u-s/

But can I buy it up front from Walmart for cheap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
So what's a good cheap option to try out the current iterations of Windows Phone. I noodled with a 520 a couple years back and enjoyed it. What's much different OS wise? As much as I've enjoyed purestrain Android on a n5x I'm always down for trying something new, especially if it can tie into a toy I've wanted for a while the MS Band 2...