Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Why am I not surprised...

I think Microsoft and I have different ideas of what an "universal app" makes.

It's essentially a three project build hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Reflowing the same app for phones, tablets and PCs would be godawful, the APIs being reasonably compatible is as far as is sane to go. Any useful application will want to separate some parts of the presentation.
I've just started and am not sure how it's supposed to work. You'd think you have to specify XAML files with styles in the platform specific projects. But since the shared project is referenced by these, it'd cause a circular reference. Maybe I've forgotten how XAML dictionaries are being handled (and the editor applies special handling). --edit: Then again, the App.xaml, where you link the dictionaries, is in the shared project.

That said, I've just run the first 8.1 project, and it still mentions the CoreCLR, so it's still not running the full blown CLR.

Also, the emulator in 720p mode shows five buttons in the action center, not four as in all the BUILD demos. Also, I'm glad to see that font sizes have been tuned down a little to more sane values.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 6, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there a mobile data toggle in the Action Centre, per chance? I'll be annoyed if there isn't.
Nope. Those are all you can choose from:

thestoreroom posted:

You can share as much or as little as you like, all the views can be in the shared project and just the client-specific implementations for things like file IO or sensors in each client project. It's really pretty nifty :)
Oh boy, this'll involve a lot of interface making then, if things like file pickers and file handling is somewhat different.

But that means I can define platform specific XAML dictionaries for styles and what per project, and they'll show and are used in the shared one, depending on the device I chose when editing XAML in the designer?

--edit:
Christ on a stick, this goddamn dialer still uses text strings instead of color coded iconography to discern between incoming, outgoing and missed calls. Microsoft, what the gently caress, you morons!

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 6, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

And I bet in the call log, if you have "Barry" in there, you don't know if it's his mobile or landline number until you hit the phone icon next to the entry?
It shows what number it was, at least what category you assigned it.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there smart dialling, or at least unified search between call logs and contacts list?
What do you mean by that? The dialer expects you to browse your contacts. If you add a contact, it'll change number entries in the history to names. If you start mashing on the numpad, it won't search for contacts.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

This is the hub view

This looks broken to me, because the second page of the hub doesn't snap into the same place as the first one.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Does the Xbox Music app on WP allow offline caching of playlists similar to Play All Access on Android?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

He wants to turn off mobile data in non-roaming scenarios.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Other people on the go may want to disable mobile data entirely because their data allowance is pretty poo poo. I know plenty of people that have 250MB or 500MB a month and therefore turn mobile data off when not necessary, to prevent any background activity to diminish their allowance. Unlimited data and/or expensive rear end contracts with plenty of data aren't that much of a thing in Europe.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

For something else, when I'm going to upgrade a pretty old WP7 app with a WP8.1 one, I can assume that the isolated storage isn't being scrubbed for some weirdo reason?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The MSDN forums are using the most terrible forums software known to man.

xylo, why aren't common resources like PhoneAccentColor and such available in App.xaml or any custom resource dictionaries, but any of the regular pages? Actually, only a fraction of the Phone* resources are available at all. There's plenty of TextBlock styles that don't show up. :|

--edit: This SDK is broken. The documentation lists tons of styles with the Phone* prefix that are simply not available. Copying and trying to use the theme resource files from the SDK into the project, it breaks the project because it can't resolve System:Double.

--edit2: I suppose they're all gone and only relate to Silverlight. Taking apart the project templates, they don't use these either.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 7, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Finally looked into the emulator image. The main phone UI still runs on UIX instead of WinRT. :sigh:

At least it doesn't take a backseat on mainline Windows.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I read everywhere that Xbox Music became more terrible?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The lovely music experience isn't helping me justifying a switch to WP. I guess I won't be an early adopter of a Lumia 930 after all, because I don't want to rely just on promises that it'll get fixed in time.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Playing around with the emulator. At least in the past, as in WP7.1, that local hub (or whatever) had at least POI information of my neighboring countries Germany and France. But now there's not even any data for these countries anymore. What the gently caress Bing Maps?!

--edit: I guess its broken in the Maps app, Cortana actually delivers results, even for Belgium.
--edit2: Unless I tap on the minimap, when it forwards the request to Maps and delivers results from France and Germany, but not Belgium. Christ, what fine integration of your services, Microsoft.

--edit3: The new calendar needs a list view. I think the old one actually had one.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 18, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

The tray is appearing because I set the theme on my phone to light. If I use dark it will be white. I could just override that portion too to have the same color as the pivot header (or not do any of this theme crap and just use the user preferences).
It's technically possible, because the native e-mail app does just that, if you force it to light theme, when using the dark in the system. Microsoft probably didn't make the relevant API calls public, that is if they're actually available in WinRT or Silverlight.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I've been playing with the emulator in anticipation of the Lumia, which supposedly releases June 19th in EU. There's a nice little detail that happens if you pull out the action center while in landscape mode. While the action center is on its side in landscape mode, the status bar icons rotate smoothly 90° to accomodate that view, and back horizontal when you slide the action center out of view again. Kind of funny. --edit: Actually it does that, too, when you start landscape capable applications from a tilted start screen.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 24, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There seems to be an update to Xbox Music out. Did it unfuck a lot of the performance issues?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Good. I hope this is a sign of faster agility. Because there has been none up until now. Right now I'm hesitant on whether to preorder the Lumia 930, which releases on June 19th, or wait another week and see what new things Android's got to offer. If Microsoft were dragging their balls in regards to fixing Xbox Music, it wouldn't have helped my decision, since music is a big part of a phone for me.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What's expected to happen with Android in the next few weeks?
Google IO on June 25th, presentation of the new Android version.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I was kind of hoping that this poo poo stops with Ballmer out. Clearly not.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Mostly just interested in Maps and Keep. OneNote would do, but I like Keep's presentation better.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

OldPueblo posted:

Enjoy your wait, there's only one thing keeping Google from supporting WP... it's Google. No change at MS will likely affect this.
Yeah, I'm sure it has nothing to do with that Scroogle poo poo and the Android license fees. Former has been done with, and hopefully latter will be, too (I think the fees have been reduced already?).

loquacius posted:

Not in the case of Chrome -- even if they wanted to (although you are correct in that they don't), Google couldn't write a native Chrome browser for WP. Browser engine's locked down.
Developers have access to C++ and Direct3D, Google could easily bring Chrome over to WP in regards to accelerated graphics. The Javascript engine is a different issue, because Microsoft doesn't let you certify apps that access the VirtualAlloc API to create memory allocations that are executable (to store and execute JITed Javascript code).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

These are just a bunch of wrappers around their REST APIs. That's not playing nice.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently Belfiore did an AMA on Reddit. Just going through that poo poo, but it appears they're working on a native file manager. Screens Joe posted himself: http://imgur.com/a/hvqGD

--edit: Figures there wasn't much else in that AMA. Same crap about Xbox Music and Cortana improving. Some bollocks about carriers.
--edit2: Except maybe for that:

quote:

and btw, we hear many of you asking for extra buttons (eg. cel on/off) in Action Center and I'm optimistic we'll be able to oblige... but no promises here.
Given that some people here wanted to disable data and cell radio.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 2, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thanks for this. I fear that, by the time this and Cortana come to UK handsets, I will have moved to Android :smithicide:
Cortana is a nice toy, I suppose, but right now, all I use Google Now for is checking the weather. You won't find me yapping into my phone in public without someone else on the other end.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Any reason en-US doesn't work for you in the UK? I'm in Belgium and have had all my computers and phones set to en-US since forever.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Any shops known that let you pre-order the Lumia 930 already in Europe?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Coworker of mine bought a Lumia 1020. Nice shell on that phone. I wish they'd announce a 1030 with practically the same looks, but better internals.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What's Xbox Music like when roaming? I know it can cache music offline, but does it play without a data connection? In Android and Play Music All Access, I pin my playlists and the music in it is available all the time, without a data connection to check licenses (up to a certain point, I suppose).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anything new?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ugh, WhatsApp was pulled from the store. No one knows whether an improved version is coming, or whether it's being terminated.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently there's a beta version on the store and was updated on May 17th. Not sure why they pulled the current one.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Various German online shops claim stock availability of the Lumia 930 for next Tuesday (i.e. the 20th). Seems like some countries get the 930 the same time as the 630.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

How exactly does Glance work on Lumia phones with AMOLED? Is it always displaying something, or does it show something for a short while only, when the proximity sensor tells the phone that I pulled it out of the pocket?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ahaha, turns out those idiot shops all made mistakes and the 930 isn't available yet. I can understand if that was a singular thing, but it happened with multiple independent companies. Nice communication, Nokia. :psyduck:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Given how long ago the 930 was announced by now, and how various suppliers keep shifting the release date on their sites, while Nokia is still not committing to an official date, I have to notice that it's the same old poo poo. Looks like they'll never learn.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Nokia simply can't launch a device it appears. During the keynote that also presented the 930, a launch in June was announced, but now Nokia UK says on their Twitter that it's July now. Jesus Christ, it's like they're actively sabotaging themselves.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Nyah, Microsoft ditched XNA for no good reason, now Apple's introducing something similar with iOS 8. I wonder how long it'll take for Microsoft to backpedal now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I don't think Metal is analogous to XNA though, it's basically DX12 for only the iOS. I can see MS bringing DX12 to wphone or RT which will eventually be wphone eventually, but at this point this basically cements iOS as the gaming mobile OS of choice for the time being.
I was talking about SpriteKit.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

For the developers that thrived on the simplicity of XNA it was increasingly obvious that Unity (and some other competitors) were a far more robust option, and for those that just wanted to prod at DX from .NET SharpDX is a fine solution.
Maybe I have the wrong idea about Unity, but it sounds like a rather heavy handed approach for simpler games, where DirectX is too complicated. (I'm the opinion that you shouldn't always throw a kitchen sink at a problem, just because you have plenty of memory and CPU.)

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

^^^ Works with VMs running, too. The hypervisor does the scaling instead of the host kernel.

Stick100 posted:

Windows Phone Devs. I discovered another reason not to develop for windows phone. If you install the Windows Phone development tools you install Hyper-V. Installing Hyper-V removes your computers ability to adjust the speed of the processor.
That's not true. If you go by readings of task manager, or tools using the same APIs, you'll see what the abstracted Hyper-V host CPU does, not the real CPU. Run CPU-Z, which will access the CPUs debug registers directly for read-outs, you'll see that it clocks down on low load or idle.

I thought so a while ago, too, until I ran CPU-Z to check the presence of certain feature flags while Hyper-V was running and noticed the clock being at 1.6GHz despite task manager saying 3.4GHz.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 4, 2014