Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Stick100 posted:

That makes more sense. So it just fucks up Task manager. Well what I was looking for is the power setting to set max/min cpu frequency when on battery and that is still only accessible if you uninstall hyper V.

As soon as I could set that I could get my laptop to cool down and extend the battery life.
I suppose that's been rendered inaccessible, because the option would be useless considering the hypervisor does its own thing. A surprise there isn't a communication channel via the VMBus to set it.

But anyway, here's some pudding for anyone else who's interested...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Eh, if I read that one over at Evleaks correctly, the software for the 930 is only being signed off end of next week. No surprise that thing's late.

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/474233177230548992

--edit: Actually, the footprint makes it sound like they're aiming for a release candidate for that time, not the actual software. Sigh.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 4, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Belfiore made a bunch of tweets. For one, he calls WinRT the third party platform. Nice to know that whatever developers are supposed to use is still treated like the red-headed stepchild.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Kidney Stone posted:

Before the 1st. July.
I sure hope so, because the release of the 930 is apparently tied to the general release of WP8.1. It's almost like an unicorn.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There was that timetable on evleaks, which showed the week ending on June 9th as release window for the RC build for the 930.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Krinos posted:

If the previous app was Silverlight they would have had to re-do it completely to make it a universal app (which both Music and Video are now) in preparation for the eventual WP-RT convergence.
Silverlight is easy to port to WinRT. The previous app was however written in C# and UIX (their UI framework for system apps, still largely in user in 8.1).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Eh, I've iced my Lumia 930 preorder. The absolute lack of release information as well as the Xbox Music drama is slightly annoying. Especially latter, because I listen to a lot of music on the phone. I think I'm just going to sit it out during the summer to see how it develops.

--edit: a word.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 15, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Probably the usual over-promise and under-deliver, then delayed as gently caress.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Rumors about a smartwatch are heating up. Of course, there's already silly specs, like 11 different sensors of unspecified kind. Gyro, accelerometer and barometer are probably going to be there, can't wait what people will think up for the other 8, in a way that doesn't decimate the battery or promise hocuspocus like the HealBe GoBe.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

PSA: Don't update the Calendar app. It crashes left and right.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

Has 8.1 actually officially made it to anything outside of the 630 series yet? The 930 isn't even out yet is it?
Received an email today that it's supposedly in stock in a shop in Belgium. If it's available, where are the reviews?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Since this is related to complaints about running Hyper-V a while ago, I've ran 3DMark on my system to see how much difference Hyper-V makes, because I came recently across posts in the MSDN forums about how the framerate would be impaired by Hyper-V, altho it seemed mostly ATI card owners. It's pretty much an error margin, at least for NVidia.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hR5KmiLMZ2ZcH6iINESeXENjtGs58Q1YfBsLIjzj444/edit?usp=sharing

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Edward IV posted:

However, this potentially leaves Nokia Microsoft with no new devices for this fall. There is apparently going to be a flagship device for the Threshold update in Spring 2015 but that's still a ways off. Still, I wouldn't mind if they just put out an official 930 variant for at least T-Mobile or at least an official unlocked North American variant.
So the plan is to get two hardware generations behind now? Way to court developers and enthusiasts.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I'm so happy that we are getting BBM!

:suicide:
Was this the big announcement hinted at a while ago?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No more Xbox Music updates? I thought they were supposed to happen every two weeks?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Eh, if they keep pumping out a GDR 2 and 3 with more features at this pace (8.1 -> GDR1) 'til end of the year, I might be swayed to get a WP device after all. That and releasing goddamn Office Gemini on WP would give it a lot of sway.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The Windows Phone team has been merged with the Windows team. Theoretically things on the software front should get better. Assuming Microsoft can keep up a fast pace across the whole project. I mean, we went from Windows 8 to 8.1 Update 1 in a rather short time, which is surprising. Altho the plan's currently back on ice trying to get Windows 9 out of the door, hoping to recreate the Vista->7 effect.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Venusy posted:

Given that both the Xbox One and Windows itself are now on one month update cycles, yeah, it's pretty telling that Windows Phone is still on the six month cycle.
Want your mind blown? Apparently Microsoft will release a CTP of Windows 9 next month.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Scuttlebutt is that they're going back to Windows Mobile as name with version 10.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

For the app situation to improve and make WP finally worthwhile, desktop Windows needs a windowed app store and windowed Metro apps. So then, with an easy way to write and distribute defacto desktop apps, one might expect a new surge of shareware and consequently more Windows Phone apps, if there's finally proper universal apps (not this split project poo poo in Visual Studio). But all that's happening Fall 2015 only, with the release of Windows 10.

And if Windows Phone still follows the deferred release schedule, there'll be another big Android release before Windows Mobile 10, essentially representing a further nail in the coffin.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 3, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Joe Belfiore promised news about Office for WP before Chinese New Year (Feb 19th), because apparently even Microsofties are starting to grow weary of products establishing foot hold on competing platforms first.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

With MWC around, yeah, theoretically. But as we all know, announcements of things usually happen months before availability. Unless they've finally changed their tune and have the toys ready soon after announcement. You know, like everyone else.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, I think so. Maybe they've indeed learned from it. Might explain the lack of more devices over the last half year of 2014. At least that's what it looked to me, altho I haven't paid that much attention lately. I'm still hoping that Google pulls the head out of their asses and delivers their app suite on WP (I need at least Google Play Music with All Access to switch).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

loquacius posted:

That won't happen. WP is in even less of a position of strength than it has been in the past, and Google wants it to die. It'd have to hit like 20% market share before Google deigns to (allow Microsoft to) port their apps. They wouldn't even let Microsoft write a goddamn Youtube app for Christ's sake.
But meanwhile, a new CEO was installed, and he's not a complete dick. Maybe that'll lead to something in near future.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Since according to Belfiore they're grouping the announcements together, if they're not including an announcement of a new player and management app with that, it'll be pretty much proof of the big disconnect between these clowns and the general public. I also expect them to drag their balls in regards to new flagships until the release of Windows 10.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Only something like "more to announce" before "Chinese New Year". That's around Feb 19th, and MWC is March 2nd. Latest for that time they have to have something to say.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There are rumors going around that WP10/W10M phones are expected for May 2015. Despite expected Fall availability of Windows 10.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Given windowed Metro apps, I can see the Windows Store gaining traction.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Do they actually power down unused RAM opportunistically though? Otherwise there is little point to tombstoning the apps into flash (which I assume is what has to be happening to get "resuming") when they can just stay resident but unscheduled.
No computing device whatsoever does power down specific RAM modules or chips. It's a memory management nightmare, made worse by virtual addressing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Virtual addressing does in principle mean that all used memory can be mapped into a single area transparently, so that should not be an actual aspect of the "nightmare" variety.
If you start actively and constantly shuffling things around to fill holes in physical memory space, that happen when allocations get freed, so the whole system uses the least amount of memory chips/modules/rows/lines/whatever-geometry, you're probably wasting more electricity on the CPU than you'd save switching off the aforementioned things.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently background images (finally) and transparent live tile icons in WP10/W10M?

http://newmicrosoft.com/rumor-says-this-is-the-start-screen-of-windows-phone-10/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

Those are fake
Awwwwww :(

I hoped they relented and finally allow backgrounds.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I care less about hearing about it, more about swift implementation.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I suppose we live-bicker in this thread then? --edit: Holy gently caress, two hours...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Goddamn live stream skips like a motherfucker. The dumb flash applet can't even decide to stick to a lower quality level to stop loving around.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hmmmm, 8" inch tablet and babbling about full PCs, maybe they're finally allowing to install Win32 apps on ARM?

--edit: Wow, that Cortana thing is awkward as gently caress.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 21, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Jesus, those supposed fake screenshots turning out to be true?

--edit: The settings app showing a new trend? More iconography, less solid color boxes?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

Oh good, messaging app is going back to not being retarded and rolling multiple services back in.
Given that things run on WinRT now, I suppose not dealing with an rear end backwards restricted runtime makes implementation of third party services way easier.

--edit: Wooo, non-retarded Office for mobile.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Showing the early builds of the WinRT apps, the trend I notice is usage of more iconography and different shades of the accent color, as well as other colors. I guess things will finally look less drab. Also, the app title style changed from these idioticly huge ones to subtler ones with their own title bar shade.

--edit: Jesus, the photo app is MSR PhotoTriage... Implemented ten years late.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh jesus, they're allowing cross-platform play. This is going to be hilarious.