Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

Has anyone else had their outlook email stop syncing since the update? I keep getting varying error messages every time I try to sync.

My girlfriend had to disable text message backup and it synced with no issues. Dumb fix but doing some reading it has been an issue for a while now. Hopefully they fix it soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

Submitted a new Awful Forums Reader build for Windows 8 and Windows Phone. The changes I made on the last page. You should also be able to go back and forth between pages and not have it jump posts anymore.

EDIT: And it's in the store.

Checking it out now. I like it. Might actually use this one.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

wookieepelt posted:

Something new is happening to my 1520. Randomly, my home screen will start scrolling around on its own, sometimes it launches an app, the screen becomes unresponsive, and the only way to stop it is to restart the phone. Good news is that the camera stop randomly launching. Is my phone broken?

Do you have double tap to wake turned on? If I have it on my pin unlock registers multiple presses when I only press one. But I turn it off and it works just fine. Before that though I was having all of the issues you had and had to just get my phone replaced. But turning off double tap to see how that works plus the link someone posted above is worth a shot first.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Wiseblood posted:

There's a rumor going around that they skipped calling it Windows 9 because there's a lot of bad code out there testing for an OS name starting with "Windows 9" and assuming 95/98.

https://searchcode.com/?q=startswith%28%22windows+9%22%29

It's kind of weird they went with the name but really I don't think it matters. They can call it Windows 69 if they want. Who cares as long as it's good? It's just a name. Like the weird rear end people that lost their poo poo over XBMC changing the name to Kodi despite nothing else changing people literally were saying they're uninstalling it and never using it again or finding something else.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Stubb Dogg posted:

And I wouldn't worry about current phones not being upgradeable to Win10 that much, since WP 8.x internals are already quite close to Win8. There's probably more work on desktop Windows side making it more modular and getting rid all remains of desktop and all that other cruft that is not required in phones/tablets so they can really share same codebase instead of just component here and component there.

Yeah most 8.x phones will get it. Obviously a few won't but most will. Unless Microsoft figures out a way around it I doubt the firmware issue will change though.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

The app thing is the only problem I've ever had with the platform, and that was only because of Audible

I'm getting sad in this thread again

I hate the audible app. I really wish they'd fix it. I hate having to fight to resume playing half the time after I pause it. I'm guess it's related to them not updating the app for the current resume function or whatever it's called.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

Oh good, messaging app is going back to not being retarded and rolling multiple services back in.

So awesome. Can't believe it took this long to bring back but better late than never. So installing the phone preview in February or whenever it comes.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Have they given any info on insider availability yet?

Not yet. I assume at the end of the demos they will.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Blargh, how I parse Ars Technicas transcription of the Q&A session, it's still shared VS projects and not universal binaries. gently caress that poo poo.

Eh it's a start. I assume as 10 evolves true universal apps will happen.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Windows 10 preview now available! http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/12/8017935/windows-10-for-phones-download-preview

Only for Lumia 630, Lumia 635, Lumia 636, Lumia 638, Lumia 730, and Lumia 830...

This sums it up for me.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

loquacius posted:

This works out well for enthusiasts (:toot:) but I don't think it'll help marketshare because the vast majority of people are going to use whatever is bundled on the hardware when they buy it. That's the only reason 90% of people stopped using Windows 95.

If they could get the cooperation of retailers and get them to give consumers the option of choosing an OS at purchase, that'd be something else entirely. But that won't happen.

In theory enthusiasts load it on their phones, love it, maybe help a few friends/family do the same. That becomes a big enough group that the OEM(s) ship a phone with it and people actually buy it. Long shot but it could work. I guess in a year we'll see if this is a "nice try" move or a genius move.

This is very first world problem but I bought a 1520 at launch and haven't had a phone for more than a year since the HTC Touch Pro 2 whenever that was. Haven't used a non-Windows Phone since the Droid X I used for a few months before Windows Phone was released. I'm seriously considering grabbing a Note 4 to play with for a few months until (hopefully) they put out a 1520 replacement when Windows 10 is released. Or I could just not be an impatient rear end in a top hat.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Nah, it really won't work like that. Cyanogenmod is already in this position and is not a mainstream, non-nerd option, despite being available for tons and tons of phones. Adding in "you don't get Snapchat or Instagram videos (?) or the Google stuff you've been using for years" isn't going to make it any easier for MS.

Chicken/egg situation. But at least they're trying something. I really don't know if anything other than extremely good luck can turn the app situation around. I hope I'm wrong though.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

loquacius posted:

Hey, it worked for Linux. :v:

It'd be actually really funny if in ten years Windows nerds are functionally identical to what Linux nerds were ten years ago.

The "free for everyone, even pirates" angle does have some serious potential.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Well that's pretty bad rear end.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

radiatinglines posted:

My nexus 5 wore out after less than a year, so I picked up a Lumia 530 for cheap. I grabbed the baconit and awful forums reader apps, but they both load up the forums MUCH slower than just going to the sites in IE. Is this normal? Also, the awful forums app looks really really bad.

Ps: Any suggestions on a good music player?

Use Readit for reddit. I prefer that to baconit. Works great for me.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

I like the direction it's going. The adjustable and moveable keyboard is cool but is unusable for me on the 1520. The gaps on the side keep accidentally getting hit and minimizing the keyboard. Cortana search is ugly as gently caress too. Other than that from what I saw it's mostly just finishing the job. A close all in multitasking would be nice though.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

wookieepelt posted:

My 1020 is no longer with us. I got an iPhone 6+ and I kinda miss my 1520. I like wp10 and I'm sure I'll be back in two years. If windows phone is still around. You guys, there are so many apps over here!

Using a Note 4 for a bit now and love it but I do miss the gently caress out of my 1520. I just got tired of warranty replacements for the screen/random cortana/back button bullshit. But if they drop a solid phone around that size with Windows 10 I'll get it. There isn't really an app on here I couldn't live without. But I'm still holding out hope for a miracle and that Windows 10/Universal Apps take off. Long shot but I can dream.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

Did it get hot? If so, it might have overheated during the install like my 1520 did. It did the same thing; got near 100%, shut down, booted back up, spinning gears, shut down. I had to put it in the refrigerator for it to finish.

To go back to 8.1, use the recovery tool. Just install the program, run it and select "lumia", then connect the 521. It should see it under UEFI mode, which then you can recover it.

Yeah I had to put my 1520 on a bag of frozen vegetables for it to finish the update. Otherwise it'd get stuck in the gear loop.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

All the surface keyboards are compatible going forward (so type cover 2 works with the SP3 for example), they're just different sizes so it's of limited utility if you want an actual cover.

Yup. I sold it but my original Surface RT keyboard worked just fine with my Surface 3.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Hey guys; the new wp10 10512 build is pretty solid. Been using it for the last 3 days without a hickup on my 1520.

Solid builds start coming out and my 1520 goes to poo poo. Awesome timing. I've wiped it and flashed it with the Microsoft tool and nothing fixes it. Just reboots every 30 seconds. The 940/950XL can't get here soon enough. So tired of this Note 4/Android.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Yeah I have no issues with Edge on my work computer or my Surface 3.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Sri.Theo posted:

Doesn't having terrible touch gestures bother you?

Nope. I do miss the swipe to go back a page feature but that's it.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

General E posted:

Thinking about finally moving into the Windows 10 Phone Insider world. Will my WP8 apps stick around after the upgrade?

Most of mine did but I'd usually have one or two apps that the name showed like a registry entry instead of the app name and the icon was missing. But I'd reinstall it and all would be good.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Pretty happy with Windows 10 on my 640. Only issues I've had is pinning the people tile makes the start screen take 20-30 minutes to load randomly and every time after a restart. Plus Groove won't download anything. But no deal breakers.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Tivac posted:

Anybody able to get custom ringtones onto Windows 10? I copied them into the Ringtones folder but they aren't appearing anywhere in the UI where I can customize the sounds. File explorer shows them on the phone & and they play fine, but not able to actually use them anywhere.

I can't get them to show up either. Even with the apps that say they're for Windows 10 ringtones.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

DarkMalfunction posted:

Do we have word on what current phones will receive the W10 update? Might donate this old 520 to a family member, but if its gonna stay on 8.1 I won't inflict that torture on them.

Technically most Lumia phones will. Some officially and the rest via the Insider program.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

CalvinandHobbes posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/28/9408773/google-lg-nexus-5x-huawei-6p-pricing

Rumor mill estimates the nexus 6p (the one with snapdragon 810 and 2k screen) to start at $479.

From what I can tell the lumia 950xl will have a better camera (20mp vs 11?) as well as iris scanner compared to fingerprint reader.

It'll be interesting to see how much more Microsoft sets their price but this is a killer price if true for the nexus devices.

I have a bad feeling the price where will be where Microsoft fucks up most on the 950's.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I will wait for some first impressions, but I will likely get it at just about any cost, it is this or going iPhone, which is pricey enough, Android has been thoroughly disappointing to me (for no doubt entirely subjective reasons I wont start a flamewar over).

I'm definitely getting this unless Microsoft somehow fucks this up but I want the 950XL based on what we know and if that holds up I'm in. But I'm like you with Android. I didn't enjoy my Note 4 very much (since my 1520 died I couldn't go back so I bought a 640, that's how much I wanted to get away from Android) and if I have to leave Windows Phone as much as I hate to say this I'd have to go the iPhone route as well.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

I think you meant "Until", let's be honest here.

I don't know how they can in this specific case. I like the specs (though I wish there were a 128gb option, gently caress micro sd cards but I can live with them) and I like the designs. So unless they want like $1200 for that poo poo or they pull some "coming in early 2015" bullshit I don't think there will be a problem.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

wookieepelt posted:

I keep seeing articles on the Internet saying that the lumia 950 and 950XL will launch on the 6th. I thought that was the official press release. Am I wrong in assuming launch means "able to be purchased" or is there a possibility that I can go buy one on Tuesday?

Launch means announced in this case.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

The 950xl price is fine with me. I was afraid they were going to do some dumb poo poo and want like $850 for it.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

OldPueblo posted:

Also he just announced Surface Book, a surface laptop. :woop:

I don't want a laptop, prefer the Pro 4 but holy gently caress the Surface Book looks awesome.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

badjohny posted:

it looked like he was just playing a video of gears. if you look at the icon it said gears video or something like that.

edit

well poo poo...its a convertible...I might be sold.

Yeah. I think this beats the pro 4 for me.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

So that Google on W10M rumor is pretty much bullshit?

Most likely bullshit but also if it is legit it might be too soon to announce. But I'd bet bullshit.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

I'm actually pretty excited about this new lumia 950xl. I wonder if Microsoft has found a way to deal with the overheating issues that come with the 810 processor, without throttling it to hell.

It has liquid cooling.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

They are showing off a few third party back covers at the event too. Hopefully there's a decent amount of those out in the next few months.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently W10M rolls out in December only. The usual premature load shooting as usual.

The issues I have on my 640 are pretty minor bugs and I'd assume pretty easily fixed. 1) Couple times a week the tiles get stuck on "loading" and restarting brings them back. Some live tile notifications don't go away for a few hours and groove won't let me download music, only stream. Otherwise the performance is great and that's on a 640 and I've had very very few app crashes/lock ups. Probably less than I did on 8.x. So I can see this being ready by then.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

So... The 950 and XL have CDMA radios for voice? AFAIK, WCDMA is not the same thing, so maybe I'm way off base, but I don't see anything in those tech specs that suggest those phones will work on anything other than LTE on Verizon.

Edit: I'm not even sure if a phone will actually work on Verizon sans CDMA yet.

I'm seeing conflicting information which is loving stupid. I don't know why you wouldn't just have every radio in there, just say at the event "works on every carrier" and move on. Everyone is happy.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Tanith posted:

So for those of you who've fiddled with these things, has anyone messed with the camera? How long between the actual press and the photo being captured?

http://www.windowscentral.com/lumia-950-xl-camera-closer-look

quote:

Editor's Note: I had a chance to talk to Juha about the new cameras and even saw some of the latest builds. Interestingly, the "processing" delays seem all but gone in the latest versions of the Camera app. This is in contrast to some of the demos on the floor, which had older builds on them still. At least from what I saw, when this phone and the final release of the Camera app come out, the experience should be much better than it is now in the Insider preview. What I saw was very inspiring and gave me confidence that these will be great cameras.

Also, it is worth mentioning that the Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL cameras are exactly the same, despite outward appearances.

Regarding Panorama and slow-motion video recording, Windows Phone users will have a little while to wait, which is the bad news. Rewriting all those algorithms and software for Windows 10 is quite the undertaking, but the Lumia camera team still have big plans. -Rubino

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

The 640 is pretty sweet for a $70 phone. The camera is okay for what it is, and the screen is awesome for the price. Not a big fan of the hard edges, which make holding it harder than it needs to be, but it's not like I'm using this as my main phone or anything.

Yeah the 640 is surprisingly good, especially for that price. Been using it for a few weeks and will until the 950XL and I don't really have any complaints other than size.