Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I used to use high-contrast mode for this really neat minimalistic colour scheme - no colours, just black boxes with white borders everywhere. With the update, though, it makes IE look awful and changes its colour scheme to something that looks like YOSPOS. Also, put me in the "don't like the third column" camp. I'm hoping I get used to it and I'm messing about with the tiles constantly to try and make it work, but I don't use my phone for much outside of email and web browsing so my start page only had nine tiles.

Those are my two main irritations I guess, thanks for listening guys :3:

I agree with most people on the other stuff. Dislike the constant status bar at the top, dig the new calendar, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Has anyone noticed that their battery life has greatly reduced in 8.1? Mine doesn't seem to last any more than 6 hours before dipping below 20% from a full charge, when it would last up to 9 before. I'm on a 920 btw, which also gets very warm even when simply browsing Facebook.

Yes and no. I'm on a 920 too, and in a way it makes sense because it's still a preview and not really optimized. I used to finish a day with about 50% left, and I find when I'm not using the phone it's business as usual with battery use, but when I am using it to browse the web or use Facebook, it drains at a faster rate. The first few days it was hard to tell because I was constantly messing around with the settings and layout of my tiles, but when I ran errands a couple of days ago my usage was normal.

I leave my phone on its charger every night and wake up in the morning, and usually browse Imgur and some other sites before getting ready for work. I used to leave the house with about 85% left and I find myself leaving with something closer to 70%. I'm assuming this will get better once the "real" update is out and they've optimized it for each device.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Jewmanji posted:

I'm using a 920 on AT&T and have found my battery life has decreased dramatically. A large part of that has to do with needing to leave location on all the time now for Cortana, whereas I used to have location on very infrequently. As well, I think I'm constantly in somewhat low reception, which makes pinging for the location all the more arduous. Also, since I updated the outgoing voice quality has basically nerfed. No one can understand me on my phone anymore. Kinda sucks.

Come to think of it, I've had that last problem too. While I don't know if it's affected my call quality, I know my signal strengths haven't been as strong as they used to - my once full-bars at home have been nearly halved.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Wiseblood posted:

One weird issue I noticed that popped up after I installed the new update is the decimal point no longer works in the Wells Fargo app when I'm trying to enter the amount of a mobile check deposit. I've tested another app that brings up the number pad control and the decimal works fine there, but it doesn't work in the Wells Fargo app anymore for some reason. The app hasn't updated recently either.

Same thing for me, kind of; since installing the preview I can't enter in the amount I want to pay for the Bank of Montreal app. My other apps work fine when I want to pay, it's just the banking one that gives issue when I want to put an amount in the field.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Don't forget that your 930 might very well be the last real Nokia :patriot:

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

monster on a stick posted:

Nokia makes an app called HERE Transit. It works pretty well.

I thought they were integrated? I know when I'm looking something up on Maps, I can pick the method of transport (car, bus, walk) and if I pick the public transit option it lists upcoming times for the metro / bus I want without having to go to a different app.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
A few months ago they updated IE and I had to switch to my bank's desktop website every time I wanted to do stuff. Then my bank updated their website and I can't go banking on it at all. It seems like a small complaint, but now that the Office suite and Here Maps is on other platforms it's making it harder to stick around. If the Z3 Compact had Qi charging I'd have jumped already, but I'm waiting.

I don't really care about most apps, but I used to handle all my banking during my commute so I wouldn't have to do it at home. It's hard to justify a new phone since my launch 920 still works like a champ - I get a day and a half out of the battery on average, it's been bumped and dinged and still keeps on keepin' on. But when I can't browse the web on it anymore because some of my websites updated their code and IE doesn't handle it properly it's kind of annoying.

I've also been a Nokia user for ages and it feels kind of sad that I won't have another new Nokia unless I go for the 930.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I googled this without success. Is there any way to buy a game in the app store with a combination of leftover funds and pay the remainder with my credit card?

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I've done that before. It was just a matter of hitting buy, changing the payment option to your Microsoft account, and then selecting your card when it said you needed more.

I did that and it put the whole thing on my card (it's what I tried before posting my question).

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I tried switching to Android after using a 920 since its launch but.....I just can't. I went from Symbian to Windows Phone so I figured any new functionality was just because I was coming from the wasteland that was Symbian but Windows Phone was actually great to use.

I'm awful tempted to sell what I have and get a Lumia 930. I'd like to think I know better considering how Windows Phone started to frustrate me since I couldn't bank or pay my bills with it since the 8.1 update but I miss nearly every way it handled the basics :smith:

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I regret my Android switch greatly. So, yeah, if you actually feel happy with WP, don't just assume that it is a general sort of smartphone maturity thing, Android remains pretty terrible in a lot of ways I personally care about.

Okay. Good, it's not just me. Everyone I know uses Android and I thought I was missing out on something. Then again I was a Symbian user; you'd figure I'd be familiar with the concept of Stockholm syndrome by now.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What in particular didn't you like about Android? What phone did you try out?

I've got the Galaxy Alpha running Lollipop - as nice as the new S6 is I didn't want to invest that kind of money on something I wasn't sure I'd like, and there's no Qi charging feature on the Z3 compact which ruled that out. That being said, I like the UI and lockscreen way better on Windows Phone. I like its minimal aesthetic, simple colours and lack of icons, and it tells me everything I need to know in a clean and clear manner. I also like how as soon as I tap that volume rocker a little music control bar pops up regardless of what app I'm using. I also seem to get more mileage out of the battery but that might be because I still tweak a lot on this handset.

I'm also fighting to turn off the constant notifications. I get notifications for everything and it's annoying. I've succeeded in turning a few off but it's kind of absurd. I've really tried liking it, trying out themes and widgets and giving it the benefit of the doubt, but I can honestly say I don't like using it as much as I did my 920. I don't know if it's a matter of "getting used to it" or not but as powerful as Android can be, it just feels.....noisy.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 11, 2015

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I always planned to buy a 930 and have it be my last phone forever.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Jeherrin posted:

So, the Facebook app has started crashing/quitting every time I try and view the Most Recent feed. 925, 8.1.

Just me?

ETA: have obviously tried reinstall/restart.

I have it too, 920 running 8.1. Just started a few days ago. I haven't bothered troubleshooting.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Alternative pants posted:

I've been trying for a while now to move some videos/music from my Lumia 1020 over to my newly upgraded Win10 laptop, but it's not even recognizing that the phone is connected. Is this a known issue with WP8.1 devices or have I hosed up somewhere?

This might be a stupid question but did you punch your PIN into your phone?

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
As a Canadian I expect to get fully reamed but I will probably get it. I was holding out for the Sony and Nexus events since Android is tempting but the hardware left me feeling a bit unimpressed, and I think it'd be a loss coming from my stalwart 920. Hardware wise it has all the features I want, and having never owned a phablet I find myself debating which one I'll wind up getting. I'll probably spring for the continuum dock. I have paid almost zero attention to the actual OS itself so it will either exceed or completely fail my expectations.

As an aside, I've been trying to figure out if it's possible to get all my inboxes synced. I'm using the standard Windows Mail (Windows 10) on two computers, plus Outlook on the 920, and while the emails themselves sync it doesn't actually sync the inboxes. Is there something I'm missing? My main email device is my phone, but on the weekends it's annoying to open up the mail client on my computer and find all the emails I deleted or moved sitting right there.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Can i just say why have I not had wireless charging in my life before now? I never though having to plug my phone in was as much as a hassle but now I feel like I have just found central locking or electric windows.

Spent less than £10 on eBay to be able to do this.

It's the main reason I haven't switched to anything else yet. I was gonna go Android but the new Nexus lineup has no Qi, and I love my little stand. It's sad that it's become the dealbreaker for me.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Shumagorath posted:

FYI the first-gen Nokia qi charging plates I used with my 920 still work with my 950. The angled one I haven't tested but the lie-flat one is quick and not too hot if you put the phone on the plate so the camera ring hangs off the top end. Not sure if I bought a higher-end model than the people who reported problems...?

I think it's the angled one that's the issue, more so with the 950xl from what it sounds like.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
My 920 doesn't vibrate anymore, the camera LEDs work intermittently, and it's been buggier than usual with the important apps (Mail crashes and it refuses to open until a reboot).

Gimme something good or at least a stopgap until the 950 becomes a viable option at MWC, Microsoft. I tried an LG G4 for a week and while it isn't without its merits there are some things I just don't like the way Android looks and feels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

OldPueblo posted:

Is anyone aware of any kind of "Microsoft services guide/comparison on Android or IOS"? I'm fine with the 950 now, however my daughter will soon need a cell phone so I'm starting my post-windows phone research since I'm assuming the wife and I will also be switching eventually in the nebulous future. I'm looking for stuff like "MS has released more things on IOS than Android", or "IOS doesn't let you do this cool MS thing because iPhones are too locked down". I basically plan on not using any Android or Apple services and just sticking to MS stuff + apps.

I had a 920 for nearly four years, and pretty much had to switch since even some websites stopped rendering properly in IE. I figured I'd hate whatever device I picked, so I just went with what was the best price point to power ratio, and bought an LG G4. I gave up three weeks later on release of the Iphone SE for three main reasons: battery life, security updates, and size.

The Iphone feels like an easier switch than the G4 did; the autocorrect behaves in a similar way, although unfortunately I can't get Wordflow since it's not on the Canadian itunes store. That's about the only difference; Office, One Note, and One Drive behaved more or less the same across both devices to the best of my recollection. I find myself "fighting" far less with iOS than I did with Android and while much more expensive, it's worth it to have something I use daily not irritate me.

The only downside to iOS is its reliance on itunes, but I don't notice it that much; my photos get synchronized to Onedrive where I can easily download them, and so on. I don't care for either's UI, but I prefer iOS to Android. I miss Qi charging and existing options are far from elegant.