Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Jesus effing Christ. Am I not more likely to want to toggle my loving data connection than project my mothereffing screen?

And I bet in the call log, if you have "Barry" in there, you don't know if it's his mobile or landline number until you hit the phone icon next to the entry?

Is there smart dialling, or at least unified search between call logs and contacts list?

Curious, why do you turn off mobile data? Battery life concerns or very limited data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

He wants to turn off mobile data in non-roaming scenarios.

That's a pretty rare case, so I can see why they wouldn't make a link to that. Can't please everyone.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Everyone is saying the podcast app is good. What???

It doesn't loving resume! Every time I leave a podcast, it resets its place which is ridiculous. I also don't see 1.25x like the guy mentioned before; just 1.5 and 2.0 (which is ridiculous why is that even an option)

Is mine broken?

That, Xbox Music, and the Games throwing up all over my app list are driving me insane. Everything else is great!

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

JPrime posted:

Fwiw, the podcast app holds its place for me... how did you get podcasts into it?

Podcasts that I have a subscription with; locally stored on my phone. I'll try and delete and re-add and see if that fixes it.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone know of a task list app that shows them on a Live tile and has a corresponding W8 app?

I really wish One Note had an option for this. It makes perfect sense.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
My 1520 rebooted/locked up about 5 times today, and I'm at 20% battery with light usage, where I'd be 50% or more before 8.1

Ah well. Hopefully it gets smoother

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Tempted to go back to Windows Phone 8. Podcast app is horrible, doesn't keep place, doesn't DL episodes anymore automatically. Xbox Music works.... 30% of the time? 100% of my music is cloud based. I get "No network detected" or "you don't own rights to this song" most the time. I'm in the car 12 hours a week for work, so I need my music and podcasts :(

Also I wish they'd fix the 1520 screen FREAKING out when you unlock it and typing 100 characters with 1 button press, or not being able to slide the loving unlock screen up until you hit the lock button again. If these bugs were once in a blue moon, fine, but when it's 10 times a day? Really frustrating

:ssj:

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

OldPueblo posted:

You might consider a hard reset since just about everything is backed up these days (except app data unless the app supports it). Even your start screen gets restored, might be worth a shot. I recall the same issues with the podcast app but for some reason it started working fine later. I don't recall doing anything to fix it. In terms of Xbox music, make sure you aren't at your four device limit. It doesn't necessarily tell you this, it just gives you download issues.

On another note, I wonder how/if restore works if you revert to WP8. It might say something like "Nope your backup was made in a newer version of WP, you are screwed".

I've reset 3 times so far. I checked my 4 device limit. The music app works when it wants to. Earlier today at the gym when I REALLY wanted to use it, not at all. Then it would give me 30 second clips. Now it works just fine.

monster on a stick posted:

Does your Podcast app have the ability to run in the background? That setting should be listed in "Battery Saver" app.

Yep.

Cortana trying to be helpful. This is about 30% of the time when I try to use her for anything. Of course I have internet access and can browse the web, but Cortana won't work until I cycle airplane mode.

This is about 50% of the time when I try to play a song. I'd warn any Xbox music listener not to upgrade to 8.1 until this type of stuff gets sorted out. I know my problems aren't problems everyone is having, but there's a fair amount of us out there with these issues.

And I have to give a loving presentation on what's new and cool about 8.1 at my job. Ugh

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

xylo posted:

drat this is not good. This is defiantly not the normal experience, but it's hard for me to stay if you're got a bad phone, firmware issue, or an MO issue. Please use the diagnostics apps and do some repros/send logs etc.

What apps are used to send logs?

And does anyone know how to force Cortana to track a flight? She tracked the departure, but isn't tracking the arrival. When I bing "track flight xxx" it pulls it up, but I can't add it to the notebook or tell her to remind me when it arrives.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

gently caress no, it's maybe 10% better. I think people are just waiting for a few more..to get it back to the point of what was in 8.0, I guess?

It's so bad I ended up flashing WP8 on it. I drive A LOT, so my phone is primarily used for podcasts/music. All my music is in Xbox Music Cloud. If anyone cares to read my rant, some of my issues I had:

Rarely able to play my cloud music
    Sometimes I'd get the old music view (yay), sometimes not. Very weird and unstable. I'd pin an album to start screen from Xbox music, and sometimes it'd play 5 tracks, sometimes 15 :iiam:
    SLOOOOOOOOOOWEST music app I've ever used in my life
    I miss being able to easily control music while driving with a swipe

Podcasts never downloaded over wifi for me
    Podcasts never kept their place, which defeats the purpose of the app
    Podcasts that used to have the show's artwork didn't have album art anymore, so I'd get an ugly tile
    Sometimes I'd double tap the rewind to go back and it would rewing, sometimes it would take me back to start. Inconsistent

Phone would get so hot I would have to take it out of my pocket. It was incredibly uncomfortable in my pocket. THAT'S how hot my phone would get on a regular basis. IN AIRPLANE MODE
    Can barely make it through the day with very light/casual usage on a 3400mah battery. Ridiculous
    Camera app would randomly open. Even when the phone is just sitting on a table not being touched. I managed to take something like 1.5gb of photos while it was in my pocket one night

All in all, I'll eagerly updated to 8.1 when it comes out officially, but I don't think I'll do a preview again. I guess I expected a little more.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

To be fair, the preview is a bit like running an later iOS beta version. It's not unusable, but it's still meant primarily for developers and not really meant to be used as a daily driver.

Agreed, but at the same time their attitude was: it's for developers and "developers", wink wink.

I aint mad. I'm very very happy on WP8 now and I'm sure that when 8.1 officially releases, I won't have those crazy issues.

After 2 hours of bluetooth, streaming music. Very happy again :)

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Battery life will be bad on any beta without the correct firmware. Not exactly an 8.1 thing as it is incomplete software

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

jeeves posted:

Actually her Dell Venue 8 tablet is 8.1, so I assumed the Lumia 820 which I had do a full manual system update once I got it was 8.1 as well now. But it looks like it is still on whatever is the most recent revision of 8.0, as 8.1 is still slowly being rolled out for phones?

And yeah, I am hoping it is just a bad/old battery from being a used phone off of ebay, as she unplugged it after leaving it charging in the evening before bed, and it was fully depleted and off by the time she woke up, which is crazy bad.

I'll look into the battery saver options once the new battery comes in. Otherwise she loves the new phone :v:

If you're on 8, it's probably just a bad battery. Once you get the new battery, I'd let it die all the way, then charge it to full. After that, just use it like normal and it should be good. WP8 should be able to last you the whole day, outside of lots of gaming/video watching

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Continue to Use Zune for Media Sync in WP

Originally proposed on Nov 12, 2012. Almost 17,000 votes, 53 pages of comments. Now many were fine with re-branding Zune to Xbox, but the uservoice comments went into great detail on the useless nature of Xbox Music and the problems with every other method of 'syncing'.

After 18+ months of continually being added to with no comment from MS, the feature suggestion thread was officially marked "declined" on May 23rd of this year:

:thumbsup:

The final comment sums it up:

While the problem may likely not lie with the coders, if you truly need users to point out why Xbox music and the entire music experience in Windows Phone (and Windows) has been a steadfast downward regression since Zune, then the problem is that you have the wrong people in positions of any influence.

It's almost like they want you to buy a music pass and just use cloud music. Except they hosed that poo poo up, too. I have no music on my phone; 100% cloud. I could barely play a loving song.

The best is when I pin an album to the start screen. Clicking on it is like a surprise just waiting to excite you!
    Sometimes plays 30 second clips
    Sometimes only plays the first song in the album
    Sometimes never loads at all
    Sometimes it tells me I don't own access to the song

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Crumps Brother posted:

I just started using Waze for navigation and it seems kinda cool. Huge battery drain though. I had my phone plugged in to a charger and still managed to lose about 10% battery over two hours. Mind you, I was using a pretty low powered charger at the time it was still one heck of a surprise.

I just watched the video of Project Adam. I want that on my phone now! I'm terrible with dog breeds so that would be insanely useful for me.

Waze is about the only one I noticed that can run under a lock screen. It doesn't seem to alert you of cops notifications while locked unless you're actually navigating to an address. I could be wrong, though. I really hate the giant ads on Waze, but it works pretty well.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Ev posted:

So apparently ATT has released 8.1 and the new firmware for the 1520? I'm going to see if I can update it in a minute, just hoping I don't have to downgrade to 8.0 first since I'm on the 8.1 Dev Preview.

Edit: I guess it wasn't ready or some poo poo, they pulled the post off their blog so gently caress knows what's going on.

My 1520 is getting an update now. :iiam:

Oh, it's to get 8.1 ready. Looks like it's doing 8.1 now.

Rent fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 24, 2014

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
I've had 8.1 about 5 minutes and already furious at Xbox Music. I feel like a reddit meme

Already uninstalled about 12 games I don't really play, because now they litter my app screen. I just can't be happy I guess.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

LentThem posted:

I don't even have any games on my phone because everything in the store is following the free-to-play model of "insert wait times for every user interaction which will temporarily go away if you pay us $$$".

Yeah, I really hate this new trend. But I guess if it makes people money. I really hate how people balk at spending $4.99 on a mobile game, but will spend $20 on gems and coins over the lifetime of the game. It's invading PC gaming, too :(

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Anyone tested the steps counter yet? I love the idea of it, because I don't have to carry an extra device (pedometer, watch, etc). Going to test it at the gym on a treadmill and see how accurate it is.

And to the previous guy: Data sense works great. Seems to have been tracking all along, because when I put in my data cap and the time it resets, it calculated it going back to the previous billing cycle.

Also, Dungeon Gems and a few other games seem to be broken on 8.1 Sometimes they launch, sometimes they don't.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
I really hope they keep rocking out the updates. 8.1 is so great outside of xbox music/podcasts apps.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

Well, I guess I'm just a filthy liar then? Most of these use cases I have never needed. Podcast playlist? How inconvenient is, "Wow, good 1 hour episode, let me see what else I have downloaded."

i get that there are little things that are annoying, but people on this thread act like their loving day is ruined any time their Nicki Minaj album art isn't loaded. Just get another phone, for fucksake.

On the other hand, if the phone can't do something as basic as loading loving album art, then that's pretty loving annoying.

I have cyan right now. If i jump back on develoeprs, do I keep cyan?

Rent fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 8, 2014

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
It's so awkard when customers come into my store, look at the ATT Lumias, and ask "so what's the latest and greatest?"

... uhhh, this one came out 10 months ago.... And then this one... well it came out 14 months ago. And here's a 925 which is essentially a 920 that came out 22 months ago... oh gently caress it; here's a really neat prepaid phone for you that just came out!

Not only that, but the 1020 and 1520 are completely polarizing to customers.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Grey Fox V2 posted:

So I downloaded the Awful Music app and I'm liking it so far. Are there any music apps like PowerAmp (Android) on Windows Phone yet? I really loved the ability to just surf folders instead of ARTIST/ALBUM/GENRE/poo poo NOBODY SEARCHES FOR.

How so? I've had my 1520 for a few weeks now after switching from Android and I'm loving it. I miss some specific apps but nothing major really.

Polarizing in the sense that it's 6" and the other is a 41mp camera with a huge camera hump on it. Those are two extreme features that people will either love or hate. There's no middle ground. I have a 1520 and love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Just got my Band2, so so so drat good.

Why can't Microsoft make phones with a high as quality as the Band2? I really hope they do make a x86 Surface Phone and it's actually good. :smith:

Band 2 is great, coming from a Band 1 user. But the durability... I don't play any active sports or live a crazy life style, and my Band 2 looks pretty bad considering I've had it less than a month.

Screen has a giant scratch on it, the metal pieces are scratched to hell, and there are gashes in the actual rubber band. I'm not sure how long this Band will live :(