Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

from what I understand, Microsoft separated and siloed the radio stack (the part of the OS that interactions with the cellular radios), which is what carriers felt my theoretically get borked in an update and cause issues with network. The radio stack is siloed from the rest of the OS so OS updates which do not affect the radio stack go through without carrier approval. Things that affect the radio stack (basically firmware updates) still need to go through carrier testing and approval. Hence why the most recent 950/xl firmware update is going through carrier approval but the previous OS update did not.

Microsoft should probably invest in a communications department to explain stuff to their customers. Pretty much everything about Windows Mobile 10 since release has been cluttered and confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

If anyone is looking for one of those Mozo Lumia 950XL leather cases, I have an extra one. Ordered on Mozo's website then ordered on mobilefun when they claimed to have stock. Mobilefun delivered after two weeks at which point I tried to cancel from mozo. Apparently didn't work because a month and a half later, it arrived straight from finland.

http://www.mobilefun.com/55706-mozo-microsoft-lumia-950-xl-wireless-charging-back-cover-cognac.htm

I think I paid around 60$ for it but looks like the prices have come down quite a bit. I'll can send it out for $35 shipped. Comes unopened still in original box.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

UHD posted:

So uh, since my 1020 isn't going to get WM10, and it's starting to develop Alzheimers of the SIM card, and I have screen burnin that conspicuously looks like the Awful app, I think it's time I get a new phone.

The 950 is good, right? For a Windows phone? Because AT&T won't sell the 950XL and gently caress if I'm shelling out $700 on a phone right now.

950/xl are the only game in town for windows phone currently. In that setting, they are acceptable but on the whole are really mediocre compared to android and iPhone flagships. Grab a mozo case if you can as it makes the phone a bit more distinctive.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

can anyone get messenging everywhere to work? I'm on most recent fast ring releases on my 950xl and surfacebook. On my pc, the messenging app still has a says "sync messages through" where it should apparently say "Send messages through". It also doesn't let me select anything. Everything on the phone end looks copacetic though.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/04/20/announcing-windows-10-mobile-insider-preview-build-14327/

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

Skype is a Win32 app. There was a Silverlight version for Windows Phone 7/8. Then there was a WinRT version for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.1. Then they killed the WinRT versions for desktop, saying to use the Win32 version. Then for Windows 10 Skype was going to be integrated with Messages. Then they changed their mind and now there is a UWP app in preview right now.

This is a perfect microcosm for the whole windows phone saga.

New thread title: Windows Phone- Which Android Flagship are you going to buy?

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

new insiders build: 14376. You know the messenging everywhere feature? The one where you can send and receive text messages from you PC similar to the integration that iphones and Macs have? The one that Microsoft has working pretty much seamlessly in the last two builds? Easily my favorite feature in Windows 10?

Yeah, they are removing that.

quote:

We have been testing with Windows Insiders a preview of the “Messaging everywhere” feature that allows you to receive and send text messages from your Windows 10 phone directly to and from your Windows 10 PC. The experience was well-received by Insiders however we believe we can deliver an even better experience through the Skype app. Because of this, we decided not to release this feature as part of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update this summer. Starting with Build 14376 and going forward, Insiders will no longer have the ability to reply to text messages from their phone via the Messaging app on their PCs. The ability to reply to text messages on your PC using Cortana is unaffected. Going forward, we will be working with the Skype Team on delivering a great “messaging everywhere” experience on your Windows 10 devices through the Skype app. We will share more details about this experience in the months ahead.
Read more at https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...71EmM4Gvc9WD.99

Removing that in favor a feature that they mave have up and running in a few months! Windows phone in a nutshell...

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

IMO, if integrating it into Skype means it would support SMS relay on iOS and Android (Which I hope is why they're doing it, because otherwise :wtf:) then it would get used by a bunch more people and arguably be more useful.

Considering the reliability and delayed notifications of the skype experience in general, especially on Windows phone, this does not inspire confidence. Furthermore, I realize Microsoft has long since given up on windows phone but this was basically the only feature advantage windows phone held over the competition. If the windows phone skype experience is any indication, here is another area we can expect windows phone to be worse about.

Its a drat shame because the current setup works REALLY REALLY well. I can have realtime SMS conversations with my phone on the other side of the house and can certainly type way faster on a full laptop.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Subterfrugal posted:

I really miss my old lumia icon and I'd like to go back to Windows phone. Can y'all recommend the best value for a Verizon compatible Windows phone? The icon did everything I wanted in a phone (although expandable storage and a swappable battery would be nice).

An HTC one? Another icon? Something else?

Well theres really been nothing new since the lumia icon or HTC one. So whichever of those you can get cheaper would be my bet.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

wookieepelt posted:

I was watching the pocketnow review of the 950, and it's super complimentary but the same guy reviewed the 950XL and it was the opposite reaction. Are they really that different?

I have a 950xl and I don't have most of the issues he had ( I know anecdotal to the max). I think they are functionally equivalent. If you can tolerate the size, go with the xl. That said, Michael Fisher is pretty pro windows phone in general and stuff uses his 950.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

CubanMissile posted:

I know the Surface 4 is nice, but is the Surface Book? I never see it mentioned in good laptops to buy discussions.

It doesn't get mentioned because as a pure laptop, you can fill every niche cheaper. It really is a MacBook pro competitor even in the sense of some cachet coming from having a disctinctive laptop. That said, my surfacebook is the first laptop that I've ever handed to people and had them spontaneously mention how nice a computer it is. The detactable tablet has some niche uses although the pen feature is great if you are a student or ever need to fill out PDFs.

Get one if you have a specific use that warrants it (and honestly, i'm vain enough to admit the nice looking laptop accessory is enough for me to buy one again if I had to). Its is really top end in most ways now that most of the firmware issue are ironed out. Better in most ways that most windows PCs but not clearly better enough to warrant the price difference for most I think

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Microsoft Surface hardware event is official!

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-schedules-its-fall-hardware-event-for-october-26/

Mary Jo Foley's sources and leaks expect a Surface all in one, a surface mouse and keyboard at this event. Surface phone is coming...

......... sometime in late 2017 or early 2018.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Yeah, sources have been pretty insistent that a Surface Phone is a year away if it exists. Unfortunate for us all, as the x3 seems a device of narrow appeal. Neat new stuff though, so I guess I'll live v:shobon:v

yeah, Tom Warren and Mary Joe Foley say late 2017 vs early 2018 for any new microsoft phone. surface phone and messaging everywhere means i'm happy with windows phone for the foreseeable future. Abscense of both means i've ordered a google pixel and look forward to setting up pushbullet. I tend to get a new phone every year so we'll see what microsoft does in a year.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

So i finally gave up and replaced my windows phone with a Pixel. Kind of what happens when there isn't a new one on verizon for a few years. Hopefully there is a surface phone by the time I'm ready to replace my new phone

Same here but on ATT. I miss live tiles, mytube and readit. Those are some of the best apps in their category on any OS I think although third party youtube apps are somewhat persona non grata on android. Cortana's third party integration is missed as well. Huetro for hue could do remote voice commands to turn on my hue lights where as far as I can tell android can't.

otherwise the pixel is pretty darn snappy.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

hard to imagine anything more dead that windows mobile at this point..

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

wookieepelt posted:

I used a Samsung galaxy whatever the one is that didn't blow up. I figured I should test the one that most android users would have.

The pixel really is the bar none best android phone at the moment. That said, the android groove app is insanely bad. downloading music to the phone frequently generates an error and stops all downloads in the queue, there's no download manager so you can't see which song has an error and cancel that song to restart downloads, and the app frequently won't play any music unless you wait 3-10 minutes or restart the app 3-4 times. Spotify free is a better experience then groove with a pass on android at the moment. I guess that's the one place where Microsoft realized you can create some loyalty with ecosystem lock in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

its tough for microsoft. A new entry to a market would normally rely on their diehards for a boost. I suspect microsoft's diehards may be, uhhhh, less inclined to jump in this time around. I say this as an owner of a samsung focus, lumia 900, 920, 930, 950xl and 1020. Oh as well as a surface rt, surface 3 and surfacebook.

Yeah, i'm on android now and until my pixel dies i'm staying there.