Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

ljw1004 posted:

I'm using it on my Win10Mobile Lumi635! (I always disliked "pull to refresh" anyway, so no biggie...)

Good drat , the UX on 10 on the 635 is pretty rough. At least backing out is easy. You can push the refresh text up and it goes away.

Unfortunately, the app still closes if you scroll too fast while it is loading images - which is always as it has 0 RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Do I have to enable "motion data" on a Lumia phone for Runtastic not to crap out under the lockscreen? I had it working in the beginning, but now it doesn't anymore. I noticed motion data being disabled just now.

I've had mine come up with "restart required" on motion data a couple of times, and it doesn't work until I restart the phone. With the built in step counting apps and such anyways.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I t certainly closes on image heavy threads, on this 635. Other things close too though, it's just this thing being low mem.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

poo poo tier Lumia does not have glance or double tap anyways. Nokia mixradio us worth it for me to stay Lumia.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah the 8XT had Sound by Dre or some crap but it sounded pretty rad for a cell phone.

The 635 in contrast has some sort of "sound hole" on the rear fabricated from discarded payphone handsets. You have to blare it in the direction of everywhere except where you are, in order to hear it through the sound hole. Stupid.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Mr Funkface posted:

Lumia 1520s unlocked on ATT are dirty cheap right now on Expansys.

http://www.expansys-usa.com/s.aspx?sid=74357682&search=lumia%201520&f=100001

$200 is what it will take to fix my screen. This is a good deal y'all.

Looks reasonable, but wary on throwing 200$ now, and possible flagships coming soon.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I don't see most of the "cool" features being ready to go. WM10 is suffering from incredible "I'm out of memory and I'll just close whatever you're doing" in the latest fast build. Outlook still randomly choses the wrong account to display when you select a notification about mail. Browsing files in the on device camera roll says no files, but photos shows them. It's got a way to go yet.

Now if the new phones make it out and still on Windows 8.1 (I could see that, I mean what are they testing on if it's coming up in a month or so for release?), that would suit me fine for now.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The photos don't really show anything useful, unfortunately, other than there is a thing there with a new USB port on it.

At any rate the 635 continues to be frustrating trash, so I will probably buy this. Even if Windows Mobile dies off, I'll have a couple of years of top-tier hardware.

I'm kinda sick of playing Microsoft Bingo and having my phone both get super hot, and the battery drain even while plugged in.

Bingo.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

On the latest windows 10 build, and I'm unable to install or update apps at this point. It worked Monday. May be SD card related, but curious if anyone is having this problem.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Walmart had the 640.

Edge sucks my rear end on WM10 preview. Often it will just shrink and close. Frequently it reloads the page for no reason. Sometimes it displays some content, but even UC browser on the same platform can stay open long enough to read whatever it is. It still needs help.

Drastic: WM10 Awful still cannot resume to where it was in a thread?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah sorry, that was a bit harsh.

I'll post over there!

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah it's been much better than previous builds, but "fast track" really isn't that fast at the moment.

Edge still sucks with reloading or closing on various pages. Lately what it's been doing is some sort of crap where new tabs open blank until you either close and re-open edge, or restart the phone. Something is leaking memory and eventually that seems to have to be done anyways.

I haven't been arsed to put it back to 8.1 since it's tolerable as a build.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

loquacius posted:

So I tried to get my phone (640 XL, with an SD card in there) on WM10, but the update keeps failing with error code 0x80070002. The Internet has been unhelpful in regards to actually fixing the error, so instead I tried to cancel it and went so far as to remove myself from the Windows Insider program, but my phone keeps queuing the update anyway and trying to install it again and again, failing every time, and while it's doing that the phone is laggy and unresponsive. Anyone have any ideas how I can either fix the error or stop my phone from trying the update over and over?

What have they done with the Xbone? I still have a Wii U and that's it so I don't know anything personally, but there's still an Xbone mock thread for some reason and people in general seem way more into the PS4.

If you hard reset the phone it will have to be re-enrolled to update. Other than that I don't know off the top of my head on the updating. Normally most of the time it won't update due to lack of space, or it just being an rear end and needing a reboot.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I upgraded to as 640 after dropping my 635. It is night and day as far as resuming and loading is concerned on the latest Windows 10. Edge still gobbles memory like a hooker and closes. This app does too, but there is more RAM for it to play around in.

Lock screen is much better, and haven't had a start screen loading glitch yet.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The 640 is $79 at Walmart for ATT/Cricket, and t mob I think. Screen is fine? It is a little big sometimes trying to reach with one hand.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I don't know what type it is, I never have bothered to look. It is miles ahead of the 635's screen in terms of brightness, clarity, and it has Glance.

It looks fine to me, though I don't know what your application is.

E: Based on appearance while using glance it is not oled.

Partycat fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 27, 2015

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

There are several apps you cannot close or exit as they hide the onscreen back/start button. That should probably get fixed.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The Cisco Anyconnect VPN client was published to the Windows store as a Universal app. I never thought I'd see the day. You install it, and hten it shows up in VPN options in the networking panel.

Not all apps seem to work properly with it, unfortunately. "The SSH Client" doesn't work with it, but Edge does. Not sure how that was pulled off, but, still - that's something !

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

This build fixed the spazzing keyboard and has improved on performance a ton. Looking good !

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah , Waze is behind. Maps works okay for directions, minus the voice, which sounds like anroid. Backups are okay, though restoring an 8.1 backup onto 10 results in a bunch of broken icons. Since you can't restore without a reset/upgrade, that is better than nothing.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

If memory management closes your music app, it may still show when pressing volume that music is paused but it won't play upon connect.

Bluetooth is okay on most phones. On the 635, with sync, Cortana is a phone call which sounds like rear end through the stereo.

Apps are okay for most phone users. Some are behind, some don't exist, and some are up to date. You can always browse the store from the web and see.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The 635 was less than half the price of the 640 on Cricket. In comparison the quality of the 635 is worse, and it is worth the extra 30 - 40 to upgrade to the 640 IMO. That being said the 635 supports hotspot on Cricket, and the 640 does not. Visual voicemail doesn't work either on my ATT GoPhone one with the Cricket SIM, which is where you find out your voicemail PIN on Cricket is probably 0000 like everyone else.

Something with a bit more RAM to give programs less of an opportunity to randomly close, or, where it doesn't overheat while you play Microsoft Bingo would be nice, but, that doesn't exist at the $50 - 70 pricepoint that is for sure.

Make sure you're aware of the amount of LTE Data you get for the plan price versus the T-Mobile $30 plan - it is not the same as far as I am aware.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I believe it's under OneDrive settings, but there's a link to the relevant page in the settings menu in Pictures as well.

This but sometimes you have to kill and re open the photos app for it to sync.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

There is a delay to everything. The paste icon appears eventually if you wait. Same with pictures, they take a while to index sometimes, and longer to show up on OneDrive. But it generally works. Better every update. Windows Pho 8 wasn't perfect either.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I don't have to do that on my 640 with Bluetooth to my band and WiFi all day... And this is a cheap pos. I would check for something odd like weird pop3 email checks, stuck web syncs, and, well, hard reset it and see what happens.

If my screen is on for hours at a whack playing videos and such it will drain but not in my pocket all day :/

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Things occasionally take long periods of time for no reason. It is sometimes better to wait a while, reset or reboot, and try again. No idea.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I use remote desktop on my 640, it would work as a wifi based home thin client pretty easily.

AnyConnect is on the platform now for SSL VPN.

Reading and replying to email, pdf, simple documents, I could see being good. You're forgetting office online as well with the browser.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have to use alternate Bluetooth method, and background apps tend to close but still come up on the display as paused or streaming, instead of resuming if I'm doing things before getting in the car. Otherwise it actually works really well with my band 2 and car at the same time (Volvo Sensus). 640 with Win10 .586

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Groove seems to work alright, but like most of the other apps occasionally they wig out. Presumably from things disappearing from out under them. Sometimes it won't play my onedrive tracks, and flashes through them all really fast until it tells me I have to sign in again (?). Othertimes it will resume playback when I get back in the car, and play through one song, or part of a song, then disappear off into the ether never to be heard from again.

It generally seems to play music and audio reasonably well, which is more than I can say for the "podcasts" app. I installed the Bringcast beta that is in there, but somehow that application doesn't have a play button? If your podcast stops playing there is no way to start it again without trying to find it in the list to start it. No idea what that UI is supposed to be.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The VPN has a toggle in the notification center, so depending on your client you could just push that when you're on an open network and you're good to go. I am not sure of any sort of task manager thing that would do that for you.

Bluetooth and audio playback are not at all top notch on W10 at the moment, but they're not the worst that I've ever used. I miss Mixradio a bunch since it worked really well. Groove still won't play from a consistent set of music - it just sometimes seems to focus on certain tracks and ignore others. Slacker works like rear end on the 640, takes forever to open, randomly starts blaring out of my phone during the work day. Once it pairs though BT is fine. I have some Plantronics earbuds that work fine. Volvo Sensus works fine, though the text doesn't always update. The Band 2, well, the keyboard and audio controls don't work most of the time but that's something they're aware of.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I just got that to finally upgrade this morning (it kept failing and saying I needed more space even with enough free..?). So far seems the same as anything else, just minus all the poo poo I had to uninstall to make enough space on the internal storage.

A bunch of apps had "Move" greyed out to move them, others didn't but then churned for a couple of minutes and said the author didn't allow that?

Whatever.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

My glance works on the latest build, on the 640. I think I had to upgrade forward from 8.1 at some point. It just shows the clock, and notifications.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

You probably have to go back to insider and pick the fastest ring again

My 640 has the latest update. The keyboard was whacked out and putting spaces and chars on the wrong side of words, it was complaining about my SD, etc. Playing with it today to see if that's any better. Edge isn't.

maybe you want to stay on 10586.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yesterdays update seems to have stopped the SD card problems

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Any time I got random errors on updating apps, a hard reset fixed it. The latest 10 fast updates eventually did gently caress my SD card, causing the phone to eventually hard lock. Maybe it needed a reformat or something but I dunno.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

S4B is okay if your org has set it up right. Otherwise without saved chats it blows on mobile.

Regarding the battery thing, on my last samesong android I bought a battery from eBay. It weighed like 25% of the weight it should have. Dropped from 80% to 40% in like 3 minutes. Phone turned off, and it never charged or worked again. It probably was two watch batteries taped together.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

wormil posted:

Anyone messed around with Cisco Spark? Seems to be similar to the rooms function that MS ditched. Buddy that works at Cisco was showing it to me earlier and it looks pretty interesting.

Spark is their version of Slack. It sits somewhere between Jabber and Webex and does .... Something. Microsoft doesn't really have anything at the moment with that sort of layout, but, then again, I'm not sure where Cisco is going with that either.

I just use group me for non business chats with friends, sharing pictures, appointments, etc.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

wormil posted:

Spark worked fine on my wife's Android but not at all on my 925. The app runs but the features don't work. Not familiar with any of the other apps you mention but Spark is supposed to do voice, video, pics, and text to groups and it's free as in beer. No ads, no cost for personal use.

It is only chat on windows mobile. It is free for small use and groups, but, it is also a pointless player in the market if you are not already into Cisco uc.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

wormil posted:

Chat doesn't work either. I'm not into any of them and neither is anyone I know so they are all equally pointless players where I sit.

I'm done with Windows Phone. I like the OS but no one gives a poo poo about it and it feels like MS doesn't give a poo poo either. There is practically no support. It's missing a lot of apps and many of the ones it has are beta or problematic. The second a new version of the OS is mentioned all the current apps become abandonware for 2 years until everyone is caught up then another version is announced and all the apps are abandoned again. Even this thread where you would think people would maybe champion the phone, is 99% bitching. And I get the feeling that most people who post here are dabblers, not actual Windows Phone users. Honestly, the more often I read this thread the more I dislike my phone. It's a shame because I really like the OS, it's the best in my opinion but no one cares and MS doesn't care.

Well, chat works for me in Spark anyways. I still recommend you try groupme, which, paired with skype, does what you want save for sending files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The maps app stacks them as pins on the map, I assume you can just press the next one and hit directions and it will go to the next one.