Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Exclusive to a single network. Worked well for all the other Windows Phones they tried it with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Did they mention anything about a UK release of the W8 or is it US-only at the moment? Not that I'll be considering getting it, sadly.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

LyriumLove posted:

I have the Lumia 920 and bloody hell do I hate it. I've always hated Windows 8 and the tiles. This phone is one of the worst I have ever had. The way it coordinates with Spotify is probably the worst. That could be the new Spotify app but I think it's the way it works on the Windows phones. I don't have a problem with battery life. But I can't wait to get rid of this thing and find something I can use and enjoy. I've essentially quit using social media, so I may go back to a drat flip phone.

For someone who is technology mad, this is probably a good phone. It's just overkill for me.

I'm curious, did you pick the phone randomly or did you look into any other options?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

OldPueblo posted:

Forgive me for asking this question, but I figured it would be answered better here than in the Android thread. My SIL has a 925 with a cracked screen (still useable) and she is considering trying Android again after not having used it since gingerbread. If she stayed with windows phone she is tempted to just pick up a budget phone like Lumia 520/Blu Win Jr type stuff. She just wants small/light form factor and is tired of shattering higher end phones with her petite butter fingers. What she/I am wondering is what would be the equivalent on the Android side, and when I say equivalent I mean like $100 or less but still runs fully updated OS (kitkat), no major compromises, etc. I wanted to ask here because I'm not sure the other thread would know about the value WP has in the sub $100 segment. So far it looks like a Moto E maybe, or a used Moto G? (AT&T)

Moto G all the way. Great screen and battery life, performance for a phone of its price is unmatched, you can get a great clip on cover for it, it's water proof and will get software updates pretty quickly. I replaced my HTC 8X with it after the battery developed a wasting disease and I love it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

For the unsullied HTC 8X users out there, the developer preview has today updated to give us access to Cortana, folders etc. OS version is now 8.10.14176.243. I haven't used my 8X since July as my daily driver because the original 8.1 release wrecked my battery life. It would be interesting to see if it's been helped by today's update.

Cortana performs really well considering it's working off a chipset that's 2 years old. Here's hoping they port it to Android.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Ev posted:

Port Cortana to Android? I can't imagine them doing that, it's a major selling point for Windows Phone. Why give it to the competition?

They probably won't, but since WP's market share (unfortunately) continues to be just a footnote, they might just want to get their tech in front of as many people as possible, as with Office for iOS etc.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

How have they allowed themselves to get to this? Look at all our goodwill, wasted repeatedly. Microsoft needs cheerleaders for this platform and we're dropping like flies. I used Windows Phone for nearly 3 years and I wasn't able to recommend it to many people.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

Wow, kinda :( that this is news and not just a normal occurrence though.

Kindle app, I guess it's your turn?

http://www.windowscentral.com/netflix-40-windows-phone-gets-cortana-integration-new-user-experience

I think the only day I don't get app updates on Android is a Sunday. I really want WP to get out there and be a viable 3rd platform, but it's been 4 years and even though there are decent sales in some countries, it's remained an afterthought for everyone except its fans.

I can see MS abandoning ship with it, and just pushing its own apps on Android and iOS. I'm currently on a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and I love the little guy. There's a simplicity you get with WP that's missing with Android in terms of navigation, settings etc, but the cost of this simplicity in terms of features is just too great for me.

For those who are sticking with WP that could easily leave, what's keeping you there? I'm actually asking, not being a dick.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft abandoned WP altogether within 3 years and just concentrates on its own ecosystem on Android and iOS. If they made a WP launcher for Android and released Cortana (would the APIs exist for this on Android?) they'd potentially have the remaining WP fans switch.

Microsoft just seems to have got so many things wrong this past few years. Dragging its feet on mobile, having a separate OS for phones and tablets, the Xbox One debacle, Metro on desktop etc. Such a pity. It's like they overthink things and work on esoteric stuff that doesn't work great, while missing obvious stuff.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Drastic Actions posted:

Here's the thing. It's probably not poorly coded nor their fault. I had the exactly same thing happen with my PSN app, and to this day have no idea why it broke like that. That had zero background tasks, used very little memory (my first thought was maybe it was a memory leak, but the powertools did not indicate that was happening, and it would have crashed if it was.) and I basically ripped it apart trying to figure it out, only to give up and just pull the app. Every time I thought it was X issue, I would release a new version only to see other people still affected by it.

I'm not saying my app, nor theirs is not poorly coded, but my blame would probably go first to the platform itself.

I'm curious - do you still develop for WP for pleasure? Or what keeps you interested in the platform?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Interesting read. Where do you see things going over the next few years for the platform?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Does anyone know if there are any official apps for 3rd party sites that actually work well? For instance, the Live Tile no longer works for Engadget and was last updated 10 months ago.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Misc posted:

I've used Windows phones exclusively since Mobile 5 and currently have a 920 which has lost considerable battery life after a little over 2 years of use.

It's about time for me to upgrade but I'm completely unimpressed with the current flagship hardware being offered. None of it feels like an upgrade from my 920 since the OS still runs smoothly as it is. I'm not a fan of gigantic phones becoming popular, either.

8.1 also seemed to take a step back in terms of social media integration for me. I appreciated in 7-8 how I could read and reply to all social posts directly in the "People" tile, but the OS now forces you to go to a respective app do anything. The same applies to Facebook chat in the messaging tile now being forced to use the messenger app.

I'm considering giving Android a shot just because there is new hardware there, but I was hoping maybe this thread can convince me there's something worth sticking around for?

Is getting an off-contract Moto G an option? You can see if modern Android suits you.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I was reading this:
http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/i-bought-new-windows-phone

Thurrott mentions: "I choose, prefer and recommend Windows Phone. I just like it better. By a wide margin."

I'm wondering if any of the goons here feel able to recommend the platform to anyone. I used it for nearly 3 years and though I liked it, I never felt able to recommend it to other people. Unless someone doesn't care about apps and wants a reasonably-priced off-contract phone, it's really difficult to suggest it over Android, especially with the likes of the Moto G available.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Factor Mystic posted:

Definitely a silver lining. I guess they really are waiting for Windows 10 for the new flagships.

If they are, that's madness. That'll be closing on 2 years without flagship-level hardware. They can just release something punchy now and update its software later in the year.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Read this part of a post by Paul Thurrott and made me think:

Thurrott posted:

This is a big deal, if you’re a Windows Phone user and really care about music. To date, I’ve always recommended Xbox Music to those who stick largely with Microsoft’s most modern platforms, because it is updated so frequently on Windows and Windows Phone and works well.

He's done nothing but (rightly) complain about the state of the Music app on WP for the past 9 months. What's he talking about?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Has he actually been "complaining" about the Music app though? I haven't seen it, rather he eventually just reports what people are saying in general around the web and in his comments, usually after he praises/promotes said product. Basically like his Windows 8 coverage - early on, dismissing the complaints as "whiners" and people just "resistant to change" (you know, like the Win8 thread in SH/SC), then promoting himself as a truth-teller from the start when the failure of it was so laughably obvious and impossible to ignore.

It's really amazing how little actual analysis the guy does, especially in terms of actually reviewing MS products in light of the competition. It's usually just throwaway lines in the middle of an article, such as when he lamented Spotify's march to dominance, despite Xbox Music being a "great" (or some such accolade) service. When the comments filled up with "WTF are you talking about? Xbox Music is awful!", his defense was "Well the Windows Phone Xbox Music app is better than Spotify!". Yeah, got that 2% marketshare segment locked up.

tl/dr: Thurrott is really, really dumb and serves no point in existing

Edit: Hah, he just posted an article on how to use Xbox music to manage your local music, of course not mentioning how absolutely awful it is for this express purpose.

He complained about it a few times in print, as well as the Windows Weekly podcast. I don't get where he's coming from a lot of the time, but he's handy for Microsoft news.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Jesus Christ, they really need to stop with the "funny" stuff.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I wonder if Windows 10 will be coming to the HTC 8X?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Not even just office... they're doing a whole Dark Theme for Windows as a whole I believe.

Have you heard/read this somewhere, or are you assuming that based on the dark taskbar in more recent builds of Windows 10?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Given Windows 10 running both desktops and phones, what one can do (at least UI wise), the other can very likely, too.

I don't know if I misunderstood the presentation, but is the desktop still a thing on small tablets running Windows 10? I could have sworn I saw Belfiore or someone else running Paint etc. on the desktop, with taskbar and task switcher etc. I thought they were trying to get rid the desktop for tablets in Windows 10? Or was that some sort of hybrid device?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I really don't understand this:

Thurrott posted:

I'm excited by something I can use. I don't care if something like this was somewhere else, nor do I know about that.

That's from comments on this article. A guy said something similar has been in Android for years. Whether or not it's the exact same feature doesn't really matter, but I can't fathom why someone who writes about tech for a living doesn't know or doesn't care about what's going on elsewhere. Surely that's the whole point of "analysing" this stuff?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Any chance the HTC 8X will get WP10?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

xylo posted:

Deep breaths before the freakout starts. Other phone models coming. We just needed a small subset of devices to start in case something goes wrong and we need to vet the new partitioning code so the older 8.0 phones are good to go.

No we didn't say that. There are some things we just can't bring to older phones (think some of the new software that required hardware like sensor core). That's pretty much what was meant.

Will Windows 10 be made available for the HTC 8X?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

xylo posted:

You know I can't answer that. Ask Gabe.

Gabe?

On another note, is there any hope of Windows 10 being ready for phone by by late summer/early autumn? Surely it would need to RTM by July or August in order to be ready to ship on devices out around October/November?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Also, what's the app situation like nowadays?

I suppose it depends on specific apps you want. Sometimes they're fine, sometimes they make a token appearance in the app store but are either buggy, lack features they've had on iOS and Android for years (I'm looking at you, Kindle), haven't been updated in forever and don't work properly (Engadget live tile, for instance), or they're absent altogether.

Best thing to do is go to http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store and search for the apps you like and see if they get good reviews, or are present at all.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Could someone explain to me why carriers need to be involved with phone software at all, other than making their support staff familiar with it?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

wookieepelt posted:

Anyone else get the impression that the WP team is like 6 guys that work on it in their spare time? Also, MS is making too many phones that don't appeal to me as a middle class American. We need an Icon 2!

Is Joe B. the right guy to lead the development? He seems like a decent, laid-back guy any time I've seen him speak, but when poo poo needs done and heads need cracked, sometimes it takes an authoritarian figure to drive the crew to their wits' ends to produce better work.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

loquacius posted:

(I still maintain that Mango was the best release, and not only because that's what I did most of my work on :colbert:)

Mango in my Nokia Lumia 800 was the smoothest, most responsive touchscreen experience I've had on any handset. That thing was like butter and I was gutted when that was lost when going to WP8.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

radiatinglines posted:

I tried the other SA app that is just called "Awful." and it loads a lot faster and looks good, but throws up errors like "out of memory at line 1," which mean nothing to me.

You might want to abandon ship with Awful. It was being graciously developed by bootleg robot :rip: but I don't think it's been updated in over a year. Stick with the Awful Forums Reader, graciously under development by Drastic Actions. If you have any issues with it, he's a darling for addressing them.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

radiatinglines posted:

why can't I find a single app that works for this piece of poo poo?

Thread title please thanks in advance.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Are they going to keep the in-app animations for stuff like Mail? Minor thing obviously but I likes it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Factor Mystic posted:

Put your music in OneDrive, then stream it. Don't waste your time trying to sync it to 1 bad device. Also I am very sorry, but you have selected the mobile platform which is the worst at music :ohdear:

How can this still be a problem in 2015? What do the Microsoft reps say when it's raised?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Okay. Good, it's not just me. Everyone I know uses Android and I thought I was missing out on something. Then again I was a Symbian user; you'd figure I'd be familiar with the concept of Stockholm syndrome by now.

What in particular didn't you like about Android? What phone did you try out?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

xylo posted:

FYI, I'll be turning off the Rooms service tomorrow morning (probably some time around 10am?). If you want to do anything rooms related please do it before then.

You're a gentleman to even say so. Cheers.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Is there an NDA for screenshots? I don't think my HTC 8X will be seeing W10 Mobile.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Does the dialler now have smart dialling?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Why do people think live tiles are better than Android widgets?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Because Android widgets are universally awful poo poo that is impossible to interact with, kill performance and guzzle battery.

So because they are better p. much. Add them as you please, no need to think or care, and it is the app shortcut and sometimes some slightly neat information wrapped into one.

I have to say I don't have a problem with the few widgets I use. Battery life is great on my phone and the news and calendar widgets especially are much better than the live tiles I had on Windows Phone.

I can scroll all my appointments and work shifts for the next 3 months without going into the Calendar app, and I can scroll about 30 top headlines without going into the news app.

Live tiles show me today's and tomorrow's appointments and I have to wait for the tile to flip. The news tile shows me one or two headlines and again I have to wait for it to flip. They could do so much more with the tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

xylo posted:

If the carrier doesn't order the phone, it's very hard to sell it on their network (doubly so when the carrier and the network locked from BYOD). :)

Unless you're say Apple, it's not like phone makers just go and make the devices and tell the MOs to sell them. They go to the MO, ask them if they would carry the device, the MO says "okay give me phone type X, make it special for my network, don't give it to anyone else and we'll order Y of them to sell." Deal happens, phones make it to the stores. Then people on forums go "god drat Phone Maker Z you're so loving dumb making phone X exclusve to that MO! You'd sell a ton on other MO also."

My God, I feel so bad for our American friends. In the UK, most phones are just generic across all networks. Sure they stick on their own apps and OS updates generally go through them, but there's no vice-like grip the carriers have on consumers :britain: