Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Charles Martel posted:

Yeah, saw that story on Reddit and thought about posting it here. It's been a long time coming, even though using the Lumia Icon for a few years was a fun experiment...until I couldn't make calls half the time and apps would randomly stop working or my alarms wouldn't go off half the time.

Had an iPhone 4 before that and it was rock solid, but I decided to give Android an honest shot with my Pixel I got last summer and I love it so far. No complaints whatsoever. I have Launcher 10 if I get nostalgic.

I suppose the downside to a launcher of similar appearance to Window Phone is that Live Tiles are absent.

Nova Launcher looks nothing like WP but on the Android side it's hard to beat in terms of performance and customisations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ergot posted:

I'm pretty sure I will wind up going with the Nokia PureView that is supposed to be coming out soon. I care a lot about having a good camera on my phone for no real reason, the MS services I care about will almost certainly be better on Android than iOS, and I imagine with enough noodling I can develop a UX that works for me.

Camera-wise, I don't think the Nokia Android phones would be highly recommended. I won't poo poo up the thread with suggestions but the Android Thread would be good to check out.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

EvilMoFo posted:

The 8x also is restricted to 8, and thus didn't get the battery draining unoptimized 10 updates.

You can download the Windows 10 Upgrade Advisor to see if the 8X is eligible for upgrade:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13778/windows-10-mobile-upgrade-advisor-app

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Charles posted:

I got accepted to the Xbox Xcloud beta. Well, I had gotten sick of my Nokia not working so I bought an iPhone. I still have the Nokia so I hooked it up to the TV with the continuum dock and it's basically a tiny Xbox streaming device. Awesome.

One of our work phones is Windows Phone 8.1 really sad to see the goodbye messages even in the Microsoft apps.