Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Reflowing the same app for phones, tablets and PCs would be godawful, the APIs being reasonably compatible is as far as is sane to go. Any useful application will want to separate some parts of the presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

This is an infuriatingly negative thread sometimes yeah :shobon:

Good for long term posting morale though, as cheerleading is pretty unfun after a bit.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Is any phone that wasn't already on three columns of tiles forced onto three columns with the update? I am sticking to the two myself, don't really see the need for more.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

A lot of minor roadmap disappointments in this patch. Everything feels a bit more polished, so I can't imagine going without it, but I do hope that the integrated feel of the original OS can be added in piece by piece :(

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

loquacius posted:

Feature request: make the Messaging app stop suggesting emoji when I'm just typing words :mad:

The keyboard does that in general, I weirdly like it :D

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Horky posted:

I could swear that before updating to 8.1 I could use the camera button to wake up the phone and go straight to the camera. Am I remembering this wrong?

Mine still does that just fine, it is a setting though, perhaps it has gotten flipped off for some reason?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

As a 920 owner I will pitch in a general comment; stability and battery life has taken a small hit this version it seems to me. Nothing huge or significant that I can point to yet, nor anything that prevents me from enjoying the use of my phone, but I don't think all is 100% well.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

In other weird regressions, the gallery app used to have a "Save to Skydrive" function in its tray, which no longer exists, and you can't share to Skydrive, and the Skydrive (or Onedrive throughout really) app only allows you to select single pictures. So my usual approach of using the lower-quality auto-upload and sending up better pictures as needed no longer works, and it appears that there is not really at the moment any good way to get full quality photos off the phone conveniently at all without syncing it or going to some other cloud storage vendor.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Doomsday Jesus posted:

My wife just got a 1520 and signed in with her love account.

It tried syncing then said "not up to date." So, we told it to sync again. She triple checked her login information and it is correct. She gets the error code 86000c0a when trying to download apps or update existing apps.

Any ideas?

Some people earlier in the thread talked about sms backup causing timeouts on account updates, but that they eventually go away after sufficiently many attempts (some portion gets successfully done each time). Might be that issue?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Finally got around to make use of one of my most anticipated features in 8.1: WiFi EAP-TLS support. Works great, the only issue being that the browser in one way or another gets confused by the content-types of the certificates, so I got a bit of time staring at .p12 files as text before I got them installed. Pretty pleased to have this going overall though.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Either way, think twice before getting a 920 with the intent of putting a case on it, because it is a fairly substantial phone, and a case pushes it into rather impractical territory I feel. It is also not necessary from my experience, but this kind of stuff is always anecdotal.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

They can offer a bookmark-syncing browser control shell though, which is all that was asked for (and all they have on iOS for that matter).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Ouch, yeah, always infuriating when things don't work properly. If reverting is even possible it seems a solid choice, there will no doubt be patches, but there is little reason to suffer until then.

In minor better news:

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

In other weird regressions, the gallery app used to have a "Save to Skydrive" function in its tray, which no longer exists, and you can't share to Skydrive, and the Skydrive (or Onedrive throughout really) app only allows you to select single pictures. So my usual approach of using the lower-quality auto-upload and sending up better pictures as needed no longer works, and it appears that there is not really at the moment any good way to get full quality photos off the phone conveniently at all without syncing it or going to some other cloud storage vendor.

Fixed, latest version of onedrive sets itself up as a target for sharing multiple files :)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Indeed, installed and ready. Will see if it smooths some of the rough parts of 8.1 out a bit.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I only have a couple of charges as data, but it seems to me like the battery performance has gone back to being like pre-8.1 pretty much, haven't seen any of the slightly faster drain I had with the initial 8.1 release.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Man, that is a surprise. Especially since the current version worked impeccably.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Yeah, my 920 also sometimes takes a while to notice that it is charging. If it didn't have the charging sound I probably wouldn't notice, it always starts within the minute, so it really does not matter at all.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Nyah, Microsoft ditched XNA for no good reason, now Apple's introducing something similar with iOS 8. I wonder how long it'll take for Microsoft to backpedal now.

Uh, I have no idea what you are reading that makes Metal out to be similar to XNA. Besides, the logic for why Microsoft ditched XNA is not hard to see; they made some nice strides unifying the API they offered to developers across the platforms, offering (nearly) full DirectX on WP, so the rather limited XNA was of lessening usefulness. For the developers that thrived on the simplicity of XNA it was increasingly obvious that Unity (and some other competitors) were a far more robust option, and for those that just wanted to prod at DX from .NET SharpDX is a fine solution.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Yeah, it is a very neat solitaire implementation, but it entirely consistently murders your battery, so I have had to give it up.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

My laptop frequency scales just fine with hyperv installed sa well. Possibly not with hyperv running, but that is hardly a constant state of being.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

It was slow getting going, but man I love live tiles now that a lot of big apps get it right. Having Spotify and Audible show the cover art of the last album and book I listened to, and a full width Facebook tile (the tile being the only functioning and useful part of the app) showing the last notification with the background for that user, makes things really feel very personal.

Not to mention, coming from android, feeling I can add whatever I want without battery fears.

WP does not get all right, and has backed off from a bunch of ideas I really originally loved, but I am inordinately happy with this platform.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The problem is far from universal, my 920 works great on the latest stuff. It had a bit of a regression on the initial 8.1 release, but that was remedied by the following patch. Seems weird that it would be hardware, but I assume anyone afflicted have tried the hugely annoying complete reset?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Zippy MacPhearson posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone else experienced a slow/unresponsive lock button in 8.1? I upgraded my Lumia Icon a week ago and this is the only major issue I've experienced. Often it will take 3-5 seconds from pressing the lock button to the screen turning on. Not the worst thing in the world, but really annoying when I just want to check my lock screen for the time/weather/notifications. I'm not sure how common the problem is, but other people do seem to be running into it as well (not sure if it's limited to the Icon or not). I've tried suggestions other people claimed worked for them (disabling WiFi Sense, disabling Cortana, resets out the wazoo) but none of it seems to make a difference in my case.

This might just be one of those issues that need to wait for the full carrier release with device-specific firmware, but was curious if anyone had come across a solution in the meantime.

That does happen on my phone as well now and then. I think that it happens more in direct sunlight, but that is so weird (checking the proximity sensor and it tilting from the light?) that it is probably a confirmation bias thing.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I would guess it is the same screen, the rest of the table also somewhat inconsistently reports specs that are the same in different ways, such as 530 having "flash: -" and the 520 "flash: no" etc. Battery life will probably tend to average out better (standby rating is up) with a newer SoC as well. So the loss of internal storage is really the big downside.

e: Camera is now fixed-focus as well. Seems a bit weird overall, since the Android phones in the 520s price class are already really universally worse compromises than the 520, so little reason to cost-cut it further. Then again, if your best feature as a platform is that it scales down without much compromise I guess it would be a shame not to go for it fully.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 23, 2014

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Good luck to you! I am pretty happy to see it spun off really, it was hard to see it growing to potential if it were to be integrated and harmonized with some broader Microsoft multimedia vision.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Yeah, lets have all the programmers sit idle and contemplate the AT&T rollout process in silence, that seems the more appropriate route of action.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Internet Sharing on my WP won't work if the phone is connected to a WiFi SSID. Is there an app that will let my phone act as a WiFi repeater?

Only WiFi around me at the moment costs money but there's an ATT WiFi signal that doesn't if I join it with my phone, does with my laptop. I'd like to proxy through my phone if possible.

Not possible afaik. I believe speaking to two networks at once in a repeater fashion requires hardware support, which I doubt WP exposes interfaces for even if the hardware is capable.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Nah, a lot of people don't, since a lot of people don't have music collections anymore and Spotify actually increasingly works ;)

Reading this thread one would think that xbox music was the most important feature in the world, but while I am sure it is problematic is gets a lot of time in the sun since there is little point to just endlessly post about things that work.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The app situation improves continuously though, this thread just loves to be incredibly depressed about things. As long as you don't have unrealistic expectations things are rapidly improving. Here the situation has gotten especially good about all tiny consultant-built apps like for bus tickets, online banking, etc. That's down to portable frameworks to a great extent though, so big-name mobie apps that need to be built fresh are a more troublesome situation. The official Facebook client being bad being particularly troubling.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Starting to ponder picking up a 930 rather than wait myself. Catching myself caring too much whether a phone is 6 months old or not. Will wait for the Microsoft announcements to see if they have any info on the next flagship first though.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

BonoMan posted:

My 620 was more budget than the 630 and had both.

You got ripped off on you 630 or got the 620 for a great price, the suggested retail price for the 630 is a solid third less than the for the 620.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

b) See, from my point of view, Google has way too many side projects and poorly documented shortcuts/workarounds and redundant products/services and ways of doing things. It looks like they wanted to standardize some of that, which is a good thing. Why should they have a special workaround for company/OS x, when that company could use the same standard that others and Google themselves use?

It's like if Microsoft included Google Wave or Google Buzz integrated into WP, then Google said we're getting rid of these for our next soon-to-be-abandoned project Hangouts and Google+, and Microsoft didn't do anything about it in the months or years between that announcement and when the services were shut down. Now WP users lose out because Microsoft is slow or dumb or incompetent.

This would of course be an interesting point if it wasn't for Google still supporting ActiveSync just fine, grandfathering people who already used it in, and letting anyone paying for Google Apps use it. They just killed off the free version.

Besides that I am not about to give Google much benefit of doubt, every Google service breaks when communicating with Microsoft stuff an awful lot. May be well deserved, but hardly makes me more of a fan of Google.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Lumia 830 announcement looked good up until the SoC chosen, replacing a 920 I am somewhat unsure how this works out performance-wise? Anyone have any sort of reference point?

Better camera, slightly larger screen and smaller/lighter sounds good though, so that is the one sticking point for getting a replacement.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Yeah, and to be quite honest I know I shouldn't fall in the trap of worrying too much about that stuff since my 920 really runs just fine.

However, I now noticed that a bunch of stores here knocked $100 off the price of the 930 this week, so I think my choice has become a lot easier to make. It does, after all, have everything I can think of wanting out of a next Lumia phone, so I have little reason to wait.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

No, never seen that, and I use Bluetooth audio several times a day every day. Negative answers don't help you much though I guess :)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I use my second-favorite podcast manager since my otherwise favorite has an ugly non-theme-color tile. This is important stuff.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Proper tombstoning should happen, you are running into some nasty bugs, which are unfortunately not entirely uncommon (especially keeping your place in audio; the audio backgrounding setup is very janky, so developers are hard-pressed to get it right, but some apps work a lot better than others).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Drastic Actions posted:

This is, again, what happens when you bail on the platform and don't use your app enough :shrug:.

There's no excuse to bail when it runs on Windows 8 as well ;)

Pretty so-so success/failure rate, but try tossing it on bitbucket or such, simpler stuff like doing a retry on loading bookmarks is something it is not that unlikely you can get a hand with.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Got a 930, started it, screen had a heavy purple tint, inductive charger did not work, and realized I would lose Google exchange support in the process. Packed it up, sent it back, and have decided to just stick to my 920 for another 6-12 months.

A bit of a disappointment, but if anything it sort of made me realize how little I need a change from the 920, so there is no reason not to keep using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

The heavy purple tint is a common thing with the 930 - it's an issue of the phone's screen not being correctly calibrated. it can be fixed by playing with the settings.

Nah, at least in this case you could not. The settings let you change the tint, but here it was correct at full brightness and purple at low brightness. So with adjustment you get something that is just slightly wrong at both ends of the brightness spectrum (slightly green at high and slightly purple at low). Clearly not acceptable at any rate.