Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Nobody can ever say Window Phone has fanboys, because all I see here are goddamn complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
My only complaint right now is with AT&T and Verizon and their awful exclusive nonsense. My contract on AT&T is up for my 900, and I can get a now underpowered 1020, or a 1520 with good hardware that is stupid-big.

Is this going to be one of those things where buying an international 930 means no LTE on AT&T?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is there any reason to keep Cortana as a pinned tile, besides having a sexy spinning circle? She's always just a touch of the search button away, right? I can do without the news updates.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

iLikeMidgets posted:

I'm looking to get an inexpensive no- frills smartphone. What is the consensus on the Lumia 520? This is going to be a temporary phone for now so I am not looking for anything fancy. All that really matter is if it can play Candy Crush smoothly (not a joke) and social apps like Skype and Facebook.
OS not a big deal. This phone is for someone coming from an iPhone 4 so being behind the curve abit is not an issue

I had a Lumia 900 and cracked the screen last month. I'm close to my renewal date on my contract, but want to wait and see what the next set of Nokia phones looks like. Maybe AT&T's version of the Lumia 930 will hit the sweet spot for me.

Anyway, I got the Lumia 520 to tide me over, and holy poo poo, what a great phone. I was afraid it was going to be shittier than the 900, but the experience has been so much better that I am pretty loathe to get rid of it unless AT&T's new phone rocks my rear end. Crashes I thought were common place on apps because of low RAM don't happen often if at all on the 520.If you don't take a lot of pictures and don't mind a smaller form factor, it's totally worth $59 to try it out.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can someone with the 1520 tell me whether it is worth paying the extra money for Qi charging? Is that really the only benefit to the international model?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Balls to all this smart watch nonsense, make a 930 variant for AT&T

The Lumia 935 or whatever

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Would having the Lumia 1520 in an armband during a workout be an absolutely crazy thing to do? This is maybe the only thing preventing me from ordering one.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm afraid I'm never going to grow the stones to purchase the 1520

It's so... big

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
As soon as I finally make up my mind to order a 1520, newegg runs out of the white version. :(

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I ordered the 1520 this weekend, I look forward to people staring at me in public

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

It's all over the news, but 18,000 job cuts at Microsoft, mostly in the Nokia division across manufacturing and engineering, and X, Asha, and Nokia feature phones are dead. At least Microsoft is generous with its benefits, right? :ohdear:

Yeah, don't cry too many tears for software engineers, dude

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I must be the only user in the world that never had an issue with podcasts or music on a 900, 520 and now a 1520.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

LentThem posted:

It sounds like an impossibility to never have had an issue with the Podcasts app, unless you are using it in a very specific way that just happens to avoid:

-The inability to save progress of more than one podcast at a time
-The inability to play more than one podcast episode in a row without manually creating a playlist
-Slogging through Bing search results for the podcast you want (instead of a marketplace)
-The lack of notifications or tile updates for new or unplayed episodes
-The inability to download an episode of a podcast without subscribing to it
-Subscriptions auto-downloading episodes that you don't want
-Playback speed settings being reverted after every episode
-The inability to sort your Favorites page
-Backstack issues that cause you to just swap between the same 2-3 pages multiple times before finally closing the app (but never really closing it)

Since these are functionality issues and not dependent on hardware or what files are stored on the phone (as is the case with Xbox Music), the only real use-case to avoid this minefield is to stream individual episodes and finish them in a single sitting while the app itself is in the background or the screen is locked.

Well, I guess I'm just a filthy liar then? Most of these use cases I have never needed. Podcast playlist? How inconvenient is, "Wow, good 1 hour episode, let me see what else I have downloaded."

i get that there are little things that are annoying, but people on this thread act like their loving day is ruined any time their Nicki Minaj album art isn't loaded. Just get another phone, for fucksake.

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 7, 2014

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm not upset, I just get defensive when people come in who aren't having these issues and the immediate reaction is "You loving lie, you obviously aren't a power user, blah blah blah"

Some of us are just not having these issues, guys. I get that it isn't fair that things are hosed up for 25% of you, but some of us sincerely have no idea what you are talking about when you say you have problem X and Y. And then we ask to explain X and Y problem, and get called fan boys.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Xbox music updated, commence the bitchfest

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Thanks I forgot how helpful and constructive Goons were.

Truth hurts, get with the times

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Does anybody have an alternative for the horrible Audible app?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I wish audible wasn't such a piece of poo poo. I've put up with a lot of app issues, but that is the one that really burns.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

I might get poo poo on for this because this is a thread for people who like Windows Phone, but I just went back to Android (a Moto G) after two months with a Lumia 521, and god drat, I am so happy. First off, I know the Lumia is an older budget phone to start with, but I managed to jump through the hoops to get it on the Developer Preview and WP 8.1. That mitigated some of my initial reservations about it (adding Swype-like keyboard and notifications were the big ones), but the more I used it the more I longed to go back to Android.

There were some things I liked. I liked that I didn't have to "root" to remove the built in apps I didn't want. The Nokia Drive app is better than Google Maps. Live Tiles are kind of neat I guess, and the battery life was the best I've had in a smartphone, but even that ties into my main complaint: the way WPs [don't] handle multi-tasking. Let's just say if I don't see the word "resuming" again for another 10 years I'll be a happy man. I am a flipper. I will flip between the Kindle app, Facebook, messenging, web browser, etc, constantly. Getting better battery life but having to wait a half second to switch between apps is one thing to trade off, but it doesn't actually "resume". Let's say I'm browsing SA and I get a text from the wife. I switch to messaging, reply, then go back to SA. It says "resuming..." for a second and then loads the app as if I'd never been in it at all, not right where I left off, unless I switch back to it REALLY quickly. I loving hated the everloving poo poo out of that bullshit, god drat. Now someone might say this isn't WP's fault but the developer not making their app right blah blah blah, I don't care, the result is the same for me, and it was consistent between apps. I like Android's way of multitasking, and I'm used to having to charge my phone mid-day. I would've just liked a choice between "Keep everything running in the background and drain the battery, or close everything when you exit it and save the battery" so you could do it the way you wanted.

It's hard to explain, but WP's swype-like keyboard also didn't quite cut the mustard. It never suggested words that you'd taught it (like curse words), and it didn't seem to suggest the NEXT likely word in a sentence properly. I did like the suggesting emojis though, because I'm fruity like that.

But most of all, and it's been said a million times but can't be said enough, apps. Sure, you can find third-party knockoffs of most major apps, but do you trust Jim Bob's Derpbox app with your Dropbox password, since there's no official Dropbox app? And good luck finding an app for local bank's online banking. I use Simple.com for banking, and that was a big dealbreaker that even their mobile site sucks on WP. The way that things can't run in the background also killed the functionality of a lot of apps, like podcast apps. I paid for three podcast apps, but never did find one that could reliably download podcasts automatically in the background without loading the app first. I remember one day distinctly going out of my way to find a wifi hotspot, loading my podcast app so it would start to download, then switching to Facebook or something. Fifteen minutes later, assuming all my podcasts would be done, I hit the road, only to then find out that they'd all stopped downloading the instant I'd switched to the Facebook app. That blows.

I like a lot of WP's ideas, and I like a third player besides Apple and Google, but I'm happy to be rid of it.

To each there own, but just fyi, dropbox isn't as secure as people think it is.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

Didn't say it was. Neither is email. Doesn't mean I want to give you my email password. Thanks for seizing on one tiny example there where I could've mentioned any app and just happened to mention Dropbox, though. Pretend I mentioned one of the other literally thousands of big apps for which there is no official Windows Phone version.

DOn't get butt hurt, I don't care what phone you use, but you may want to switch to another storage solution if possible

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

Microsoft couldn't sell water to a man dying of thirst. Sooo...

Same reason the Zune never got any respect: Microsoft employs the worst marketing team on earth

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, I made the jump to iPhone 6+ after owning a number of Windows Phones (launch day Focus baby!) and it's been fine, but if I had wanted to wait longer for the current crop of Android devices to get lollipop, Android probably would've been fine too.

I also don't particularly love Google and really didn't have any major problems ignoring the Google ecosystem integration in android, iOS just offered a better experience I thought for the stuff I actually care about and use on a daily basis (outlook.com, exchange, onedrive, etc). Those all required additional apps in Android, and the experience/integration was different in every app. I thought that Android widgets were a "sort of" replacement for live tiles, but not quite, and iOS really doesn't have anything that matches up.

On the iOS side, TouchID in particular has ended up being one of those things that went from "oh, that sounds kinda ok" to "holy crap, every phone I buy from here on out better have something similar".

If I had to get a phone right now, I would get an iPhone. Yeah, its cookie cutter, but things work, and every android phone I've had has been a cluttered mess with terrible setting menus.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Serious question, is snapchat for your mistress and sexting?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

soapgish posted:

Android is convoluted and Apple is for children. My interactions with WP are all drastically more meaningful than with any other platform for being in step with a lot of what my computer is doing, and itself offering me customization on par with its simplicity. As I don't buy a new computer and believe it has all the software it should out of the gate, or anything even resembling such, I've bypassed all the bellyaching this thread is full with by never bothering with X-Box Music and whatever else terrible stock apps, so my experience has been a delight from day one.

The app thing is the only problem I've ever had with the platform, and that was only because of Audible

I'm getting sad in this thread again

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

.Tim posted:

I hate the audible app. I really wish they'd fix it. I hate having to fight to resume playing half the time after I pause it. I'm guess it's related to them not updating the app for the current resume function or whatever it's called.

I had a ticket in with their support, they said my issue was something to do with the 8.1 update, they were "actively working on the issue" :jerkbag:

Ended up cancelling my subscription, too bad that probably meant dick all to them

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
"What's the absolute least we can do for our users this holiday season"

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Man, if you read the Chive, you deserve all of that poo poo

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

You want a better Word experience...get an iPhone - really. Office on WP is awful compared to iOS/Android currently.

Of course, this is supposed to improve with W10 when it becomes "Windows Mobile" (again), but we've been down the "We're getting the underpinnings sorted out, then the spice will flow" road before. Perpetual catch-up.

Windows Phone - If You want a better Microsoft Experience, Get an IPhone

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

Is it a bad thing I want to upgrade my 920 to a 1520? I love the gigantic-ness of it all, and it's a quad core 1080p phone. Is there really anything bad about the 1520?

I really like mine, but I don't really text or talk on my phone very much. I can see how people may grow to dislike it if you do either of those things often. Going to the gym with one is also probably not going to be feasible.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tanith posted:

Well, what do you do with it?

poo poo post

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Windows Phone - All I Wanted Was a Zune Phone

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just got an email from Microsoft. Apparently they are poo poo-canning Rooms soon.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Things are looking up up up for the adopters in 2021

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
So, I'm trying to replace the Room functionality with another calendar. I made a separate calendar in Outlook.com for my wife and I, but it doesn't show up in the app.

Is this not going to work? Do I have to share my whole main calendar with her? She doesn't need gym alerts and poo poo like that. Or do I create a google calendar and share that, because that is basically the exact opposite reason I got a Windows Phone.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I ended up having to share the calendar with myself for WP to notice it. :wtc:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

LifeSizePotato posted:

Now there's a thread title.

Inspect Your Gadgets > Windows Phone - I have to say, this discussion is not very encouraging

I laughed a sad little laugh

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

itunes is literally the best way to have music

I was on your side until this part

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Real talk what is another way to get a gigantic library of music from one source that can be put onto a myriad of devices?

Computer + USB cable + any of the hundreds of music library management programs

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Cortana just asked me if I want her to track my workouts at the gym. I wonder what this is going to look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's because they are both simultaneously

It has more to do with the lovely support the outside world gives its apps and the way Microsoft plays leap frog over their best customers really