Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Stick100 posted:

So this is what this thread has come down to, the only reason to buy a Win Phone is if you work for MS. And even then only as a dev. device not to carry.
I have run windows mobile/phone on Verizon for over 10 years at this point; by choice mind you, not due to work or being a developer.
Samsung i730 (wm5) -> HTC 8X (wp8) -> Nokia 928 (wp8) -> Nokia Icon (wp8+wp10)

I am looking forward to the rumored surface phone and if that fails to exist my only hope will be the HP phone becoming available on Verizon at some point. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I am not amused that I will have to migrate to a non-windows device, having been using windows [mobile,phone] for ~15 years.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

A windows update a couple months back put my hp elite x3 into a reboot loop that only stopped / booted as I reluctantly installed the device recovery tool on my computer. Everything was ok, it was just annoying.

In January, the update resulted in a black screen and it wouldn't turn on when I woke up in the morning. A soft reset got it to respond and boot, only to find half of the apps were broken and the only solution was to uninstall and reinstall. The process broke existing login info and thus made them completely useless cause you can't authenticate so many windows phone apps anymore.

:tizzy:

I am sad about having no choice but to switch to android sooner rather than later, especially after using windows (mobile|phone) since ~2005. I would like to hold out until the end, in october, but I don't know if I can.

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 8, 2019

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

The 8x also is restricted to 8, and thus didn't get the battery draining unoptimized 10 updates.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You can download the Windows 10 Upgrade Advisor to see if the 8X is eligible for upgrade:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13778/windows-10-mobile-upgrade-advisor-app
I was simply going by the memory of this news post; I haven't turned on my 8x for years.

edit: Oh, hey, look at that; my hp x3 phone didn't reboot correctly after the windows update again. Here's hoping it doesn't gently caress up the few apps that are left.

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 14, 2019

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

There's a push for windows on arm, so malware isn't going to be too far fetched, also it's possible that leet haxors are sitting on 0days waiting for the day after that last update in October. WP8 would be absolutely horrible at this point, so many apps had 8 support cut.

While I still have the sim in my windows phone, I got an android device to start the transition. I have a page of complaints on the process / issues with the haphazard platform; a few items are MS specific, most of their apps are pretty lovely on android as it turns out.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Yeah, no poo poo. My limited time using android has made it very clear that microsoft is far better at design, too bad they are apparently incapable of marketing it.

My biggest complaint is that google wants to learn from you / your actions; you can't tell it anything to work from, it has to be learned. It means their lovely assistant is useless (without giving google permission to loving everything) and cortana is poorly implemented in comparison to windows phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

sourdough posted:

I mean, yeah you need to give Google permissions to everything if you want it to learn stuff about you. If you're worried about privacy, you need to use an iPhone. You should probably assume Google is tracking most everything it can whether you give it permission to use what it learns to do convenient things for you or not.
I realize that google is tracking everything absolutely possible, with or without the permissions set; it's one of the reasons I have avoided this bullshit as long as I could.

It will be a cold day in hell for me to use apple products.

In the end, I am fine about not having an assistant; the only thing I ever ask Cortana about is the weather anyhow.