Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Oh great. It looks like Internet Sharing has become more temperamental with Windows Phone 8.1. I haven't been able to reliably reproduce the problem yet but it seems that within a day of after using Internet Sharing it will no longer work. My attempts to initiate the connection from my Windows 8.1 tablet will fail and the Internet Sharing setting page will fail to load and crash back to the settings menu. The only way I've found so far to get Internet Sharing to work again is to restart the phone. It's not exactly an elegant solution, though.

EDIT: I didn't even need a day. WiFi sharing broke within a few hours after heavily using Internet Sharing. This time, I also found that WiFi and Airplane Mode settings were just as broken. So I'm starting to wonder if this is an OS issue or a firmware/driver issue. Perhaps next time, I'll see if I can work around the problem by manually turning off WiFi first and then activating Internet Sharing. It's still not an elegant solution either.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

nielsm posted:

Why the gently caress are you using a 12 year old OS that (finally!) went out of support a month ago?

He did say it's a work computer so you can chalk it up to someone in management or IT dragging their feet to upgrade their systems or they're using lousy outdated proprietary software that absolutely requires XP.

As for Doomsday Jesus's problem, WP8 uses MTP for USB mass storage-like functionality. Service Pack 2 and Windows Media Player 10 or newer are needed to add MTP support to Windows XP.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I know I'm late on the Xbox Music hate but I just came back from a trip through western Virginia where T-Mobile data is spotty as hell and Xbox Music was making GBS threads the bed when trying to browse my local music library. It fruitlessly tries to grab data from the cloud when I only have an EDGE or a loving GPRS signal which holds up the interface from just showing what albums I have for a specific artist or what songs a particular album has. The only way to even get it to stop trying to access the internet was to disable my data connection which isn't the most convenient thing to do.

Is there any way to convert as much of Zune into a standalone app or is it not possible because of the way its integrated into Windows Phone 7? I'm this close to grabbing a Lumia 900 so I can have Zune on a faster and more stable device. I'm sad to say that my Zune HD just isn't really holding up in the speed and responsiveness department.

I guess I'm a fringe user but all I need is a good RSS feed reader (NextGen Reader) and the Awful app. Although a more up to date Crunchyroll app (plus an app for Windows 8) and the remote control software for my Fujifilm X-T1 would be nice. Is it bad that also I'm looking at the Moto G or Nexus 5 as supplementary smartphones?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Are there 3rd party music apps you can use?

I still have the original Zune Pass subscription with the 10 free songs per month deal. Since I'm still paying for the subscription, I figured I might as well make use of Xbox Music while I continue to claim songs through Zune for however long that Microsoft will support the subscription. Hence why I'm looking at a Lumia 900 or some other nice and cheap Windows Phone 7.5 or 7.8 device.

RVProfootballer posted:

Bad for Windows Phone and Microsoft, not bad for you. If what you have isn't working, why would it be bad for you to look for something that works better?

Aside from Xbox Music being rubbish and missing a few select apps, I like Windows Phone 8.1. It's a nice enough of an update that I'm willing to forgo getting the Lumia 930 and planning on getting the successor to the 1020 or whatever Nokia's Microsoft's next Lumia flagship phone for this coming fall.

Besides, I've dabbled with both iOS and vanilla Android and neither are as pleasing to use or look at but that's just me. Cyanogenmod or customized Android may change my mind but I really do miss some of the little things and features from Windows Phone and Windows 8.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What do you miss from WP when using other platforms? I ask because my next phone will be an Android, after nearly 3 years with Windows Phone.

That may be difficult to quantify for me because I think I'm quite biased. Windows Phone was my first real smartphone and it's what I'm most familiar with since WP7 first came out. As a result, I prefer the UI and design of WP and I like all the new things Microsoft is bringing with WP8.1. I feel it's more consistent than Android and more aesthetically pleasing than iOS. The home screen is far more useful that iOS and it's easier to make a functional home screen that has consistent UI elements and won't clash like crazy.

When comparing the functionality of WP to Android, I may not be the best person to consult. My experience with Android has been derived from my Nexus 7 (2013) and I don't feel that Android makes a great tablet OS when compared to Windows 8. It feels like vanilla Android doesn't make much use out of the increased screen real estate. As for on phones, the newest Android phone that I had used was running Gingerbread which is far from modern, up to date, or relevant.

However, this whole debacle with Xbox Music has shaken my confidence. Despite having said this a million times before, what I really miss is Zune especially once it got SmartDJ in WP 7.5. It's because Zune was thrown to the wayside in favor of the piece of garbage that is Xbox Music that I don't feel nearly as much attachment to Windows Phone as I did a over a year before. The only reason I had touched Android earlier was because I had busted my old Dell Venue Pro and it was quicker to buy a used replacement Android phone until the actual replacement from Dell arrived over a week later. It really is bad for Microsoft that I'm looking at the older Lumia 900 and an Android phone as supplementary phones or possibly as a replacement combo.

The new CEO's objective to restructure Microsoft is one of the few reasons I'm not completely dismissing Windows Phone yet. That change can't come any sooner.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

CubanMissile posted:

Is there any remotely interesting high end phones that aren't phablets announced? It seems to me they only care about low end phones on emerging markets these days.

If your definition of a phablet is a phone with a screen size greater than 5", there's the Lumia 930 which is basically the international version of the Lumia Icon. I believe the Icon is also GSM unlocked but you'll be left with a phone plastered with Verizon logos.

There's also something in the pipeline with the codename McLaren (formerly Goldfinger). Specifications aren't known but it is apparently a flagship device for three US carriers (most likely not Sprint) that will be released this November. What is known of the hardware is that it'll feature 3D touch; that is you can interact with the phone by hovering your finger in front of the screen. Unlike Samsung's attempt with the Galaxy S4, McLaren will utilize dedicated hardware based on Kinect.
http://www.wpcentral.com/microsofts-next-flagship-windows-phone-november-3d-touch

I'm looking forward to it. Especially if T-Mobile is getting their own version.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So it turns out that the Lumia 900 doesn't use microSD cards for storage. As a result, I can't expand beyond the stock 16 GB which is just barely enough space to get my base music collection. I'd rather have more so I can use it as a more modern Zune replacement and to store most of my music collection.

Is there a comprehensive list of Windows Phone 7 devices that can have their storage upgraded with microSD cards? Any recommendations for something small, light, that has good build quality, and isn't plastered in carrier logos? Last one isn't a big deal, though.

I already have a 32GB card that I used for my old Venue Pro but that was way too big and heavy to carry around considering I'm currently using a Lumia 920.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

clandestine cactus posted:

Why do people still have music collections when nearly everything is available via streaming, and wifi is more common than decent toilet paper?

Genuine question.

Not if you're traveling and end up in bumfuck nowhere.

I just recently came back from a roadtrip through Western Virginia and Xbox Music was having a hissy fit because most of the time the only data I got was either EDGE or loving GPRS. Occasionally, I'll run into larger towns and cities that do have 4G or LTE but only lasts for about 30-45 minutes before leaving town. And that was me just trying to play music I had stored locally. Streaming was not even an option after leaving New Jersey through Pennsylvania.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

Samsung Focus is about it in terms of 3rd party MicroSD support for 7.x devices.

What about in cases where microSD is being used as the storage device and is not supposed to be user serviced like the Dell Venue Pro or HTC HD7?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, those are also options, although more painful ones, and the HD7 and Venue Pro and kind of crappy choices compared to the Focus.

The microSD card slot on the Focus is easily accessible, but it gets "stitched together" with the 8 gigs of onboard space to make a unified storage space (adding/removing the card is a hard reset situation though). The Focus was always pretty sensitive to the speed of the MicroSD card used, and it took me 2 or 3 cards before I found a usable one, but having 40 gigs of onboard space was nice.

Yeah, the HD7 looks like a complete pain in the rear end to replace. The Venue Pro, on the other hand, isn't nearly as bad since the microSD slot is in the battery bay and only protected by safety tape. However, there is no built-in eject mechanism so a fine point tool like a needle is needed to wiggle the card out until you have enough to pull on it.

If there aren't any other suggestions, I guess I'll be getting a Focus to get my modern Zune experience on the go.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Well, the 3D touch phone got axed.
http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-kills-3d-touch-windows-phone-codenamed-mclaren

I suppose that shouldn't have come as a surprise. It's a feature that'll only be available on a single high end device that not many people would buy giving developers less of an incentive to utilize it. If it was cheap enough to implement on even low end devices, it could have stood a better chance. Oh well.

However, this potentially leaves Nokia Microsoft with no new devices for this fall. There is apparently going to be a flagship device for the Threshold update in Spring 2015 but that's still a ways off. Still, I wouldn't mind if they just put out an official 930 variant for at least T-Mobile or at least an official unlocked North American variant.

At this point, though, I just want a phone that'll let me tether off of my LTE connection. I tether often enough that I'm forced to limit my data connection to 3G/4G all the time to avoid the hassle of switching between it and LTE. Hence why I would prefer my next device to be officially supported by T-Mobile or if someone else took the trouble of checking for me.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Does updating to Cyan still require you to downgrade from the 8.1 preview to 8.0? Will you be able to receive Cyan if you update to the 8.1 Update 1 preview or will you have to downgrade first? How well does the backup and recovery system work in restoring apps and app and system settings?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

I don't have a firm grasp on product development and support but one would think that with the resources Microsoft has, in both money and brilliant staff, they'd be able to create a fast and agile team to support these developing platforms. If you're late entering the game and are trying to play catch-up, you need to work twice as hard and fast as the next guy.

Except that until Nadella took over, Microsoft was big and bloated with too many middle managers and insular departments that wouldn't share or collaborate with each other. Only a great deal of money, talent, and leadership (or a disaster) could get Microsoft to move at a brisker pace. I just hope that the recent layoffs and restructuring at the company actually does payoff.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

The only apps I ever bother using on my Samsung Focus running 7.8, which is running SIM-less for music playing duties with Zune, is NextGen Reader and the Awful app. (Then again, those are the only apps I ever use on my Lumia 920.) Both are out of date though NextGen Reader is still stable and has feature parity with the WP8 version. The Awful app on the other hand is dated and not terribly stable.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

At least it's GSM unlocked and isn't plastered with Verizon logos all over. :shobon:

Surprisingly, there is only one Verizon logo and it's on the back.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

My Rogers 920 finally has Cyan. To my dismay, Cortana is gone. I guess it's because :canada:

Definitely going to update to the next developer preview, then.

EDIT: Turns out, it's because I inadvertently set my region to Canada. I couldn't find which region setting to change so that Cortana would work so I used the Nokia recovery tool to reset the phone and set the region to USA. :fsmug: My condolences to Canada.

The recovery system actually works really nicely. Just being able to restore all my apps automatically is really convenient.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 21, 2014

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Microsoft should be announcing the Lumia 830 and 730 on September 4th at the IFA trade show. They won't be quite as high end as the One though there are rumors of another high end flagship Lumia phone for later this autumn.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

LifeSizePotato posted:

I would love for some tech journalist to get intimate access with Satya and be allowed to ask, "Okay, seriously, what the HELL is wrong with you people and your stupid decisions? :psyduck:" It seems like everyone outside of Redmond sees things with a bewildered sense of clarity while MS just perpetually bumbles and disappoints.

Hey, the guy had only been CEO for less than a year and he's still in the midst of cleaning house. Besides, Rome wasn't rebuilt in a day.

As it is, though, I'm thinking of getting a Sony Z3, Nexus 6, or Moto X in the interim until Microsoft's new flagship phone. My 920 had gotten less stable and shorter battery life with these new firmwares and updates. It can barely last half a day with usage that used to last a full day when I first got it. Meanwhile, my apps will sometimes just crash without warning and with no explanation. Granted it's almost two years old so an upgrade is probably in order but I don't think I can wait until spring at the earliest.

Although I could get an 830 instead, I've been meaning to get an Android device since I barely touch my Nexus 7 anymore. Plus, they're is a remote control app for my DSLR that it's probably never going to come to Windows Phone and doesn't work that great on the Nexus 7 owing to its size.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

I can confirm this. Oh God. Am I seriously going to be stuck on 8.0 until July 2016 when I'm able to get a new phone? If this is the case, I would have waited until the HTC One came out. At least I would have 8.1.

Edit: How would one go about installing the developer preview for 8.1?

Just install this app, agree to the Terms and Conditions, sign in with your Live account, and you should receive an OTA update. While that should get you 8.1, you won't get Cyan which includes various firmware updates.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Chasiubao posted:

I'm sure AT&T will devote lots of resources to testing that update :saddowns:

That's why you should have bought an unlocked Rogers version and use it on T-Mobile. :smug:

Although getting internet sharing to work properly has been a bitch that involved getting a foreign SIM card (Vodafone in my case) and futzing around with the settings as described here.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

How is the subtitle support? The last time I touched the Windows 8 version, it would only work with external and basic subtitle files which is useless to me since most of the stuff (fansubbed anime) I watch has an advanced subtitle file(s) muxed in .mkv files.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Drastic Actions posted:

Nah, I made sure that won't work just to spite Anime people like you :smug:

But seriously, that should work, as far as I know (I'll check later when I get back to my 1020). It should also be in the newest Windows 8.1 release too I think. If not, I'll ask about it.

Just ran the Windows 8 version and drat is it so much better now. Videos no longer peg my processor like crazy and there is indeed quick access selector for audio and subtitle tracks. Unfortunately, it looks like only .vobsub files and sometimes .srt files work properly. Sometimes .srt files don't show up for selection and .rear end subtitle files (the most common and modern format) and sometimes .srt files won't render or show up. Fixed .rear end support is more important than .srt support though it would be nice to have for legacy reasons. I have a poo poo ton of anime with some pretty old and esoteric formats.

Until the .rear end support is improved, I'm sticking with Media Player Classic even on my Venue 8 Pro.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Stick100 posted:

Personally with Windows 10 reducing the emphasis on Metro and lack of progress of WP8.1 I expect WP will be a cancelled project replaced with a MS Android (like Fire OS) in under 2 years.

I'm not so sure about that. The de-emphasis of Metro for Windows 10 probably had more to do with the fact that Metro on the desktop sucked which contributed in hurting Windows 8's adoption rate. Metro on tablets and touchscreens works well enough that it doesn't need as big of an overhaul. It's probably why the technical preview is focused on the desktop instead. Besides, all the marketing depicting Windows 10 as an OS for multiple devices and platforms show that Metro for phones and tablets are here to stay. Plus, the lack of progress on WP 8.1 probably has to do with the fact that any significant changes and overhauls will come in WP 10 next year.

Then again, Microsoft did get the Nokia X in the Nokia acquisition so they do have a basis for a fallback Android-based OS. Though that's a worst case scenario like if they can no longer collect on their Android licensing deals to prop up Windows Phone.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Cheesus posted:

At this point I have zero reason to upgrade from 7.8 until 10 is released.

But what do you do about apps? Not just the amount and type of apps available but how much support they're getting. The two most important apps for me after the Awful app and NextGen Reader and both of those are out of date on WP7 compared to their WP8 versions and partially broken. Plus, I can't re-download apps and games onto WP7 that I had bought in WP7 and transferred to WP8 without having to rebuy them. At this point, my Focus has been playing glorified Zune player duties and not much else.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Kidney Stone posted:

I'm not 100% certain - this is the European RM-875 model, and it supports the following frequencies (don't know which T-Mobile uses?):

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - all versions
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 - RM-875, RM-877
4G Network LTE 800 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600 - RM-875

That'll get you 3G and 4G/HSPA+, although limited to 21 Mbps vs 42 Mbps, but not 4G LTE. For 42 Mbps HSPA+ and LTE, the phone needs to support 1700/2100 MHz AWS for that specific radio interface.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

For me, it's pure stubbornness. :v:

Really, it's what I'm most familiar with since getting my Dell Venue Pro in 2010 and is nice to work with and look at. All the deficiencies that every review states just doesn't feel like that big of a deal breaker for me although I'm probably very different from the typical smartphone user. The only apps I really use is the Awful app, NextGen Reader, and HERE maps.

Even so, I bought a Sony Z3 compact as a backup phone just in case my Lumia 920 meets a possibly watery demise which the Z3c can survive. I also got it as a means to get more familiar with a popular smartphone OS as a contingency plan if Microsoft does in fact pull the plug though I'm sure they're going to wait to see how Windows 10 fares. (I feel like I said the same thing for Windows 8) Between iOS and Android, I much prefer Android since I have much more control over customizing its appearance but I've yet to come up with a setup that can replace live tiles. Still, I'm perfectly fine with tethering it to my Lumia 920 whenever I need the odd app here or there or to hand it off to my nieces and nephews when they want to play smartphone games.

The only thing I've been really upset about the progression with Windows Phone was removing Zune and the inadequacies of Xbox Music. I've already given up trying to put up with Xbox Music and got a Samsung Focus and the largest microSD card it could support to go back to Zune.

Speaking of Zune, has anyone been having issues with accessing media with the desktop application? I get the error code C00D12F5 when I try to stream on my Windows 10 machine yet I'm able to get media fine through my Focus. Did a reinstall on both machines and I get the error code C00D12F9 when I try to stream and C00D11D0 (C00D2728) when I try to play protected local media on the Windows 10 machine despite being logged into my Zune account. Maybe it's just Windows 10 trying to convince me to give up Zune. Seriously, this is the second app that has broken on me since updating to this new build. Then again, I had a similar problem on my Windows 7 machine and the reinstall did the trick. I guess that may be why it's called a technical preview. :shobon:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

While we're talking about issues with the Awful app, the bookmark page will sometimes shrink and not take up the whole page.

Leaving the bookmark page by either exiting the app or going to the main forum index will usually fix it.

While I'm talking about bookmarks, is it possible to display more than 40 of them? I suppose I should clean out threads I no longer follow but being able to display more would be better.

Also, would it be possible to mark threads as read without having to sync and reload the thread list? I'm not sure if it's my internet connection or how well optimized the app is for that operation but the auto-syncing feature takes a little too long to work after leaving a thread. I'm not sure how the Android app does it but it automatically marks a thread as read after leaving the thread without any noticeable delay after leaving.

Another feature I would like to see is the ability to selectively preload threads. Again I don't know if it's my internet connection or how optimized the app is but going from the thread list to the thread itself feels slow. Something I usually do on the desktop is open multiple threads in new tabs so that they're ready to read when I get to them. Is that a little much to try to implement?

In any case, great job with the app and keep it up.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Yeah that blows. Not surprising but terrible nonetheless. So much for open, platform agnostic standards. :(:arghfist:

I doubt that Microsoft is in a position to develop their own contactless payment system while cutting deals with banks and credit card companies to make it work more seamlessly. I suppose they could buy a good startup and rebrand it as their own like with Outlook and Calendar on Android and iOS. They'll have to scramble if they want it ready in time for Windows 10.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I know it won't amount to much of a statement and protest against Google but I'm contemplating about separating my Microsoft account from Gmail and associating it with an Outlook account which I'll begin to use as a primary account. I'll still use Gmail for Google stuff I still use and as a throwaway account. How would I go about doing that?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So the transition from Gmail to Outlook had been going well so far but I've run into an issue trying to manage my contacts through Outlook. After finding that my contacts didn't carry over from Gmail during the account import process, I tried to perform a manual import using a .csv file that Gmail created only to find that the People web app on a Windows Live doesn't work. When I try to load the site, it either can't find the webpage or returns a error stating that it can't find my mailbox.

This is what the error looks like.

Is anyone else having this problem? Or is it just me because I recently changed my primary alias to the new Outlook account and it's still in the middle of transitioning over?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Something I recently discovered is that my 920 is pretty terrible at sustained Wi-Fi tethering. While it works fine for general browsing, it becomes problematic when I'm watching streamed videos on a Windows tablet while tethered to my 920, particularity when watching full length episodes that go on for about 25 minutes (specifically watching Crunchyroll on a web browser). The video will occasionally (every several minutes) stutter, freeze, and completely stop which requires me to reload the video to continue watching. On a whim, I tethered with my Sony Z3 Compact and it played flawlessly on the same Windows tablet. So either my 920 is underpowered compared to the Z3c for desirable Wi-Fi sharing performance (1.5 GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 vs 2.5 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 801 respectively) or the Wi-Fi sharing protocol for Windows Phone is inferior to Android's implementation. Does anyone with a newer and more powerful Windows Phone have any Wi-Fi sharing issues?

I watch videos through Wi-Fi sharing pretty often and hate dealing with the stuttering issues. However, I still prefer to use Windows Phone over Android despite having the Z3c for a few months now. Yet SIM card swapping is inconvenient to do especially if I'm on the go. If this really is an issue with the power of the hardware, I can go with something more new and powerful. Hopefully something cheap like the 830, 735, or 640 would work. However if this is an endemic software or driver issue with Windows Phone, then that has to be fixed or I'll be pushed closer towards switching over to Android.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 2, 2015

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

From what I've read, 219 for the 640XL is a fantastic price for a Quad Core Snapdragon 400, 1Gb RAM, 5.7" HD screen and a decent camera. I'd buy a 640XL right now if I had something worse than my 925.

It's too bad that the XL has the better cameras since I prefer to use my phone with one hand. But why the different cameras between the smaller and XL models? It looks like they gave the XL the rear camera from the 830 and front camera from the 735 and gave the smaller 640 the remaining, worse cameras. :haw: ... :smith:

At least it looks like the XL will be a little smaller than the 1520 so I might just barely be able to use it single handed. I've held a 1520 before as a store demo and it is really a handful to use with one hand and I doubt the absence of security devices would have made a difference.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 2, 2015

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So I've learned two things so far on my trip to Taiwan. First is that all those weird APN settings and workarounds to get internet sharing to work on my 920 apparently keeps the internet from working at all when I'm roaming on another network. I say apparently because the second thing I learned is that when I swapped my SIM card to my Z3c, I had replaced my 920's SIM Card tray with the nano-to-micro SIM adapter still in the tray which has jammed on something inside and is preventing me from fully ejecting the tray. I suppose I could try to disassemble the 920 and fix the jam but that isn't something I want to do while still I'm on vacation.

Maybe it's time to upgrade to a new Windows Phone since I still am not warming up to Android even after using the Z3c for a couple days now. The 640 can't come out soon enough and hopefully I can get a 640 XL to use on T-Mobile without too much fuss.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

ManSedan posted:

I did the same thing when I first started messing around with swapping SIMs around. Basically what's happening is the little metal arms that push against the SIM card are getting stuck on the lip of the nano-SIM tray. I had to get an old plastic collar stay and wiggle it around in there until I could keep the arms lifted up while I pulled the tray out. Just don't put the SIM tray back in with the nano one still in there and you should be fine.

Thanks for the tip though I ended up disassembling the phone and managed to get the tray out though ended up bending the pins bit was able to push them back in place. I'm glad to have a working Windows Phone again. I just can't get used to using Android.

Also, I was also hasty about the internet not working on the phone as it does work. I guess I didn't give the phone enough time to acclimate as I was in a rush trying to get the phone to work. However, I must have lousy luck with cellphones on this trip.

Sony :argh:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

And it looks like my 920 is going to be out of commission as a phone for good. It turns out that my hasty attempt to get the jammed SIM card tray out has damaged the SIM card contact pins on the phone.

Ended up taking the phone apart which was relatively painless (only needed a T3, T4, and T5 drive head and very little tape or glue to undo) and it turns out that the contact pins is in no way user serviceable or replaceable without replacing the main board.

In the foreground you can see the broken pins that I was able to recovery. Best thing I can think of to repair the pins is to solder on replacements though I don't know how feasible that'll be.

The 640 or 640 XL can't come out any sooner. In any case I'm glad to have my Sony Z3c on me though it too is in need of repair.

\/

Maneki Neko posted:

Boo, Microsoft was selling no contract 830s with a fitbit flex for $199, but that appears to be dead now. :(

That would have been another replacement I would have considered but screw paying for the 830 for full price.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 25, 2015

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Every update to the OS since then has sequentially destroyed the experience. The original windows phone 8.1 app was nearly unusable. Its now been improved to just really bad. If you want to blow more money on the platform, look for a windows phone 7 device (lumia 800 for example?)

As nice as the Lumias are, they have limited storage (only 16 GB for the 800 and 900) and they can't be expanded. That's why I ended up getting a Samsung Focus and a 32 GB microSD card for a combined capacity of 40 GB for music playing duties.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Drastic Actions posted:

Another update submitted and approved, check shortly and see if that fixes the issue. I tried upgrading it on the simulator and it worked fine. I tried on my person devices and it worked fine. I'm not saying there are no issues. Worst case scenario is to reformat and try again, but (and this is going to shock people here) I'm trying to avoid that.

Sorry for loving up your morning. I don't have a QA team that can check every possible test case for bugs and regressions. It worked for me and for the windows tester (who, I'm going to assume, had a fresh device and did not run into this issue), so I didn't catch it. It happens. You deal with it and move on. But to the person who found my work email to tell me the app broke: don't do that. Thanks :).

What's the new version number? The store says 2015.422.1442.4741 but it's still crashing on startup for me even after uninstalling and reinstalling the app. I had installed the bum update if that matters.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Drastic Actions posted:

It should be in the app folder, which you don't have access to. What I want is if someone is having the issue is to reformat, reinstall, and see if that does fix it. If not, then at least one person bit the bullet rather than everyone.

I should be getting crash logs in a few days hopefully, but that's too long. If someone could check, that would be cool. If only I could reproduce this :(

I'm resetting my phone now so we'll see if that helps in a few hours.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Too late. It's only a factory reset rather than rolling back with the recovery tool so I don't have to go through the trouble of resigning up for the developer preview, installing the preview updates, and reorganizing my start screen. Right now, it's restoring from a backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Whelp, the app is STILL somehow broken after a factory reset. :wtc:

Does a factory reset not scrub everything clean? Or is it that screwy of a bug? Hopefully, this next update will work or I might have to use the recovery tool.