Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Xbox Music is such a disaster zone currently. I can't even view my artists, as I scroll through it's just a bunch of blank 'play' buttons without artists names. Then if I can actually tap into an artists, it just sits there and doesn't show the albums.

Luckily, I can ask Cortana to 'play broken bells' and that works.

If anyone can recommend a replacement music app that can both read my SD card and ideally also stream from OneDrive, please tell about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Is there a dedicated WP app development thread? I saw some questions posed in here so I guess if there isn't anything better I'll throw them here as they come up. The only one I really have right now is whether it's possible to initiate a VPN connection from C# code.

The regular .NET thread is probably the right place for this.

Drastic Actions posted:

Is there any way to change what news sources are used by Cortana? Because I don't want to see Fox News stories about Benghazi in my feed.

I assume, but can't confirm, that this will sync with News (formerly Bing News) sources which are configurable in that app, when synced with your Microsoft Account.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I just noticed you can swipe down to close on the multitasking screen. Neat.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

How do I configure Messenger availability? Apparently my contacts are seeing me offline even though I am connected to the internet, so messages are going over SMS when they shouldn't be.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Factor Mystic posted:

How do I configure Messenger availability? Apparently my contacts are seeing me offline even though I am connected to the internet, so messages are going over SMS when they shouldn't be.

Anyone have any clue on this? WP 8.1 has totally killed Messenger, for me.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Wheezle posted:

Messenger is dead. They replaced it with Skype ages ago, and this is just WP catching up.

I'm aware that the "Windows Live Messenger" branding is dead, but the service itself is still working, for example, with Rooms. I don't care about the label for the feature, I want to know how to stop the texting-like feature on my phone from using carrier SMS and restore it to using the same texting-like service which now powers Skype chat and Rooms.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

At least we're back to the same baseline of blah.

It's kind of magical how the company that makes the OS is so blitheringly incompetent at writing a functional app on the very platform they're creating. Not even a great app or a good app but a functional app.

Meanwhile people like Rudy Huyn releases 6 decent quality apps a year. It really makes the Windows Phone team's apps people (or Xbox Music apps people, I truly do not care which sub sub subdivision is responsible) useless at their jobs.

Hey, Windows Phone team members that read this thread, how about you cancel your dismal zero effort app and just contract Rudy to make your Xbox Music app for you since you clearly cannot do it yourselves.

e: please feel free to forward this post to your superiors

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Captain Capacitor posted:

Knowing who I do in Windows Phone it's not from lack of trying. Every project manager has an agenda, and they're trying to go from a dozen different ways of doing the same thing to something more unified.

Use the uservoice site. Let them know what you want and how you use it. They're targeting a lot of use cases but they can't always catch everything. I used it myself to report a bug with podcasts.

If I have to submit a bug report to tell you the Xbox Music app is so broken as to be useless, this platform is doomed because the people in charge need user feedback to tell them a flagship first party app is so broken as to be useless.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

The Xbox Music web player is pretty sufficient, besides not being able to stream certain albums that I own (a problem being able to stream my own collection from OneDrive would solve). I prefer it to Spotify, actually, because it's a clean and functional modern web app with a very clear idea of "your collection" and "now playing" which not all web players get right.

But the Windows Phone app is a whole other story.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Martytoof posted:

The more I use WinPhone, the more I find that developers use the back button inconsistently and I really wish it would stop. Is it going to take me back to the last sheet? Is it going to exit the app outright? It's anyone's guess!

Or at least that's how it seems from my viewpoint. Maybe they are using it consistently and I'm just doing it wrong? Either way it seems messy.

I'm disappointed about how Microsoft implemented the back button. It's too unpredictable and punitive. Ideally tapping it should never take you out of an app, ever. If there are no pages on the navigation stack or you tap back from the first screen, it should transition to the task switcher as if you had pressed-and-held it.

That'd:
a) prevent you from accidentally backing out of an app when you didn't mean to, forcing you to find it again in the apps list ("what was it called? Music? Microsoft Music? Xbox Music? oh whatever forget it")

b) still allow you to kill the app if you want to, from the app card close button or swipe to close

c) increase discoverability of the app switcher.

And of course tapping the windows key from anywhere will still take you to start and the system can still suspend apps in the background as it does today.

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 27, 2014

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Originally it was the only way you could properly kill an app, because there was no app card close button. We would always make sure to do it because you never knew when an app would decide to be a battery hog even when running in the background or supposedly suspended. Admittedly they should have thought of the current system sooner.

They should have changed the back button behavior when they added the task switcher, is basically what I'm saying. This time I'm not dogpiling for past sins, I'm talking about a current failure which could be currently fixed.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Drastic Actions posted:

That's why I like Google Play Music. I can throw all of my (legally purchased off of iTunes) Japanese music into the music locker and access it anywhere, and it's free on top of it. Unless I'm on Wifi I don't stream from it, but I do rotate pin albums for offline listening. There is no Windows Phone client for it beyond some decent third-party clients, but they only go so far.

But having streaming apps is no excuse for not having a decent music/sync app though. It's a valid workflow that Windows Phone completely fails on at the moment.

Hypothetical: If there was a Windows Phone app that connected to cloud service(s) where your personal music collection was stored, and streamed the files down to your phone, what's an acceptable price? Free only otherwise forget it? $2.99? $3.99?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

nielsm posted:

I don't care for streaming music myself, not on the phone at least.

When you say you don't care for streaming music, are you meaning that you're uninterested in casual radio-like auto-curated services (like Pandora) or that you don't care for the on-demand transport of music to your device?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Drastic Actions posted:

EDIT: I've made some more advancements on Awful Music, recorded off of said Lumia 521.

Cool. I also decided to back up my trash talking and put my money where my mouth is, and write a music app myself. Yours looks better than mine at the moment.

In the battle to prove how bad Xbox Music is, no matter who wins, we all win because Xbox Music is just that bad.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Drastic Actions posted:

I'm still working on Awful Music, and I think I found a bug with BackgroundMediaPlayer. When you transition tracks, it will play a blip of the first few milliseconds of audio from the previous track. No matter what I do (use files, stream as a media source), it never goes away. It does not happen if you skip tracks though, only if you let it switch on its own. :(

I get that occasionally as well but I don't know how to reproduce it. Do you also have the issue of a static 'click' when switching tracks and plugged into speakers via the headphone jack?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

Why the hell can't Cortana tell Here Drive to take a specific route, or even give me the directions natively?

Up until you thought of it, HERE Drive's purpose was to generate routes, not accept routes. That's an interesting feature idea but not really a fair criticism. So what you're really asking is "why doesn't HERE Drive communicate correctly with something that was invented after it was released??"

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

Well, news sites seem to seizing on this part of the earnings call as the broader multimedia vision going away, so may very well have been a good move:

Not sure if this means that the services are going to close down or what.

Joe Belfiore, on Twitter posted:

Don’t worry, no plan to drop Xbox Music/Video-- my team builds these key scenarios for tablets, phones, PCs! And Xbox team does on console.

Hey, it's been upgraded to a "key scenario"! Or it was always a "key scenario" and this dismal app is the benchmark by which Windows Phone can be judged. You decide!

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

So my mom's Icon with the DP I think has the latest 8.1 update, but still says Nokia Black. Has Cyan still not been pushed out to Icons, or is being on the DP causing the update to not show up?

http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-america/

Also: My music app is nearing alpha status. I'll probably need 10-ish brave souls to volunteer. I'll post about it when the time comes if anyone is interested.

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 8, 2014

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

loquacius posted:

Man, things are not looking good on the sales/marketshare front. I'm not really surprised because there hasn't been a good new phone or a big marketing push in a while, but it still depresses me a little bit to see. :smith:

The reason it's not surprising is because most people don't buy phones, most people are sold phones. And what phones are CSR's selling? Let's check: http://www.neowin.net/news/when-talking-with-customer-service-reps-it-becomes-clear-why-windows-phone-isnt-selling-well

...oh

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Grey Fox V2 posted:

So I downloaded the Awful Music app and I'm liking it so far. Are there any music apps like PowerAmp (Android) on Windows Phone yet? I really loved the ability to just surf folders instead of ARTIST/ALBUM/GENRE/poo poo NOBODY SEARCHES FOR.

Organizing music by folders is dumb and limited, fix your metadata.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

That's why 8.1 Update 1 changes the IE11 user agent to fool bad sites into thinking it's iOS or Android. This is the terrible world in which we live.

Oh well.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Here's a nice thing to say about the WP dev experience: the store publishing process is much faster than it used to be. Last night my app was certified in about a half hour, not including the lag for the store page to actually show up. That's pretty good, that's one part of this which I'm not mad at all about!

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I need a few stupidbrave folks who want to try out a beta of my music app to PM me. Here's what I'm looking for:

• You have "your own collection" of music files, and you're willing & able to upload some/all of them to Onedrive (also acceptable: your music library is already in Onedrive. If you're signed in to Windows 8 and keep your music files in the default library, this may already be the case)
  • You're running 8.1 (dev preview is fine, cyan not required, 8.1 Update 1 not required)
  • You have tolerance for limited features, limited support, and prefer to share your thoughts rather than just sit around silently disappointed (given that we're Windows Phone users.... everyone probably qualifies on this point).
  • You're interested in having access to your own collection, but you bought an 8GB phone and there's not enough space.

I'm particularly interested if anyone has an HTC 8X, one of the new larger Nokia phones, or a low end 520/521.

Anyway: PM if interested. Only need like 5 people.

E: I'll need your main Microsoft account username (which is an email address) that you're signed in to your phone with, so PM me that.

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 21, 2014

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Guillermus posted:

Sorry if I explained myself wrong. What I've been doing with all my mp3 players and phones is just copy-pasting folders into the internal (or SD) memory and just open the app and browse folders.

There is no reason to not set up track metadata. You will open yourself up to a magical new world when you stop relying on folder structure.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I can still use some beta testers for my music app. It's getting closer to a thing you can use without weeping! PM me your Microsoft account username (which is an email address) that you're signed in to your phone with.

Factor Mystic posted:

• You have "your own collection" of music files, and you're willing & able to upload some/all of them to Onedrive (also acceptable: your music library is already in Onedrive. If you're signed in to Windows 8 and keep your music files in the default library, this may already be the case)
  • You're running 8.1 (dev preview is fine, cyan not required, 8.1 Update 1 not required)
  • You have tolerance for limited features, limited support, and prefer to share your thoughts rather than just sit around silently disappointed (given that we're Windows Phone users.... everyone probably qualifies on this point).
  • You're interested in having access to your own giant music collection, but you bought an 8GB phone and there's not enough space.

I'm particularly interested if anyone has an HTC 8X, one of the new larger Nokia phones, or a low end 520/521.

I guess I should also add, that you're probably not going to have a good time if you have absolute zero track metadata, but that would be an interesting case to beta test too, so go for it if you want.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Dr Tran posted:

4x now with the new os update.

Next update it'll be 16 notifications per notification. Windows Phone is a socially integrated phone for your 32 notifications. It's important that you are aware of the new Action Center, which will show you all 64 notifications. You won't be able to miss all 128 notifications!

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

wookieepelt posted:

Is my phone broken?

This is normal behavior. What's the problem?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

There already is Windows 8/8.1 on ARM, it's Windows RT. I wouldn't be surprised to see Windows 10 on ARM, which is now the OS used for phones, Surface Mini, and 8" and less devices.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Not denying that carrier availability isn't a problem, but yall need to get off of carrier contracts. Took me a minute to figure out why the Icon/930 wouldn't work for you.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

loquacius posted:

It costs $300 unlocked? :geno:

I feel like you think that's a lot

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I went to the 939 from a 920 too. However I never used Glance as I just didn't see it's appeal, so I didn't miss it.

I enjoy waving my hand over my phone to see the time. In fact, my phone is my only clock in my office.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Factor Mystic on July 7th, 2014 posted:

I also decided to back up my trash talking and put my money where my mouth is, and write a music app myself.

And now 117 days later, here we are! I have published my music app.

:toot: Harmony Music App for Windows Phone 8.1 :toot:

The main focus of this v1 release is streaming your own music from your own OneDrive account. Put your mp3's in a root folder (name it something with the word "music") in your OneDrive account, and this app will present them and stream them. This is ideal for people with very large music collections, or when you have more music than fits on your tiny 8GB phone.

The model I'm going with is free but capped to 500 tracks, and then $2.99 in-app purchase for unlimited tracks. At the moment it's unlisted so goons can grab the unlock :siren: for free :siren: before I go public and turn on the payment next week. The IAP is permanent, so even if it's not your think at the moment grab it so you always have it. (I'd rather there was a way to issue freebies, but I can't. Oh well.)

If you think this app has promise and/or you want to help a goon out, the very best thing you can do is rate the app five stars. It takes 30 seconds and would really help to jumpstart this thing.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Downloaded it and my 400 songs synced successfully. :) One pretty big issue I'm getting just from playing with it is that the music stops playing when the screen goes off or when you switch to another app or back to the home screen. Not right away, it continues playing for a few seconds so originally I thought it was a buffering issue, but now I don't think it is since it starts up again right away when I unlock the phone.

Are you using a 512MB device? A few people have said that this occasionally happens, but I can't reproduce it. Here's a thing to try: Once music is playing, hold the back button to go to the multitasking screen, and kill the app. Does the music stop then, or does it keep playing?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Stubb Dogg posted:

Can you make the music folder location customizable?

Skydrive folders names are always localized (e.g. "Documents" -> "Asiakirjat"), so on Finnish language settings that leaked music locker feature creates you folder named "Musiikki". And since everything else is in Finnish already, I'd rather keep it that way so it's less distracting and to make it compatible whenever they launch that music locker thing.

Very good. I had intended to make it configurable at some point but this pushes it up. Next release will address this.

This was rumored even earlier this year before I started. But even so, I wouldn't mind if this materializes, because it'll get more people to move their music to the cloud, which is more potential customers for me. Plus, I'm planning on adding more features than just OneDrive streaming.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Dsmif posted:

How long do i need to leave it loading my OneDrive collection? I've got 20gb in my music folder and the app just seems to sit at the loading stage.

It takes several minutes, but things should fill in as they're discovered. There should be little progress dots to tell you something is happening, and an approx % complete & discovered track count at the top of the collection page. The numbers should tick up every few seconds. Is that happening?

E: let's move this to PMs
E2: you don't have PMs. Can you first, kill the app and try it again. Second, screenshot your collection page and email it to me? factormystic@gmail.com

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 4, 2014

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Stubb Dogg posted:

Can you make the music folder location customizable?

Skydrive folders names are always localized (e.g. "Documents" -> "Asiakirjat"), so on Finnish language settings that leaked music locker feature creates you folder named "Musiikki".

This is done in 1.1.0.27, now published to the store. Let me know if that works for you.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Pipski posted:

Oh, awesome, thanks very much!

Pipski your inbox is full so I cant reply to your PM, but as to why there are more albums in the app than folders in OneDrive: the app groups tracks by the file metadata. So if you have a 5 files in 1 folder but they all have different album metadata, that's 5 albums in the app. Check the track metadata.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Pipski posted:

Obviously, not to look a gift horse in the mouth etc. etc.

Meh, no need to be so nice, it's SA after all. I would only ask that you flow your frustrations to the uservoice page: http://harmonymusicapp.uservoice.com/forums/267976-general

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

What in the world can Verizon be "testing" for this long? :sigh:

Well when you only have 1 intern on the project, it's bound to take awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Jewmanji posted:

Been trying to drag and drop a perfectly well-tagged album from my computer onto my 920 (running 8.1). First attempt only 3 songs made it over. Second attempt and a few songs were added one by one each time I opened the album up on my phone, but somehow only 75% of the album transferred. So all told it took me about ten minutes to put 3/4's of an album on my phone. 8.1 is so painful.

Save yourself the hassle, put your well tagged music in OneDrive instead then stream it :toot: