Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kvJiVmoBSs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

big duck equals goose posted:

yeah jrpgs are way too hardcore to figure out durrrr gently caress do I use the fire sword on the fire boss? how do I move to one area to the next?! ugh this boss is too hard should I grind??

i'm saying if you need more simple, perhaps you should move to a game like, oh, I dunno, call of duty pleb

I missed the part where I talked about battles in JRPGs. It looks to me like I was talking about all the bullshit in them that completely wastes your time.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

Wiz Khalifa owns and sampling CT in his tracks just makes him cooler

the comments are p funny too tho

"a black dude...likes chrono trigger?????"

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Puzzle Quest is the best RPG sorry guys.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
My favorite RPG is that Anticipation game for NES with the teddy bear and the horn, I think a stiletto too but I was too young for that filth.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Hey guys, i didn't read the thread at all but I saw the title and just wanted to say Chrono Trigger is bad.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
The best part about anticipation was the cover because it had eight people on the cover watching the viewer in Anticipation wondering if you would play the game to find out if eight people could actually be interested in these bleep bloops all at the same time

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Cych posted:

its a relaly slow game. the menus the dialogue the animations the battles everything is so dang slow

You could speed them up.

I think they had the menu option rear end backwards where 1 was the fastest and 9 was the slowest so I can see why some people would gently caress it up.

Edit: true story I beat the game without realizing you could save on the world map. you couldn't in mario rpg so my dumb child brain didn't think to try it here.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 9, 2014

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Chronic chiggers

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Just downloaded the whole album.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

chrono trigger has 13 endings

non-CYOA books have one ending

do the math

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

synertia posted:

Hey guys, i didn't read the thread at all but I saw the title and just wanted to say Chrono Trigger is bad.

I think it's really good!

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
is this game on any system that i have

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

is this game on any system that i have

If you are posting, i'm going to say "yes"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

conceitedguy posted:

You're probably thinking of the DS port of Chrono Trigger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_1eXha07tI Black Sigil. The game that almost could, why, why did they have to make the combat so long and lovely, the battle music so bad. Everything else about it is almost good, too bad you're in combat for 90% of the game.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_1eXha07tI Black Sigil. The game that almost could, why, why did they have to make the combat so long and lovely, the battle music so bad. Everything else about it is almost good, too bad you're in combat for 90% of the game.

wow, that really does look like a low-rent chrono trigger knock-off. too bad

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES
i loved chrono trigger op

but terranigma was better

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

script kitty posted:

i loved chrono trigger op

but terranigma was better

I liked Terranigma until you got closer to the end. The whole last couple of areas you go to are so confusing plot-wise.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i wish there were better city building/rpg combo games, dark cloud isnt very good

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

holy poo poo this was it, man those tilesets looks basically ripped right out of CT. I remember being hella hyped about that game and then it completely dropping off the radar, sucks that it sucked tho

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Tiger Millionaire posted:

holy poo poo this was it, man those tilesets looks basically ripped right out of CT. I remember being hella hyped about that game and then it completely dropping off the radar, sucks that it sucked tho

I remember someone actually being able to import Black Sigil's assets into Chrono Trigger before Zeality decided to scrap all ROM hacking. :suicide:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

JGBeagle posted:

I remember someone actually being able to import Black Sigil's assets into Chrono Trigger before Zeality decided to scrap all ROM hacking. :suicide:

wait a minute there's no more CT rom hacking? it seemed to consist entirely of either lovely "hard mode" hacks, an arena mode, or hacks about mediocre fanfiction, but that's crazy. why would he do that?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

closeted republican posted:

wait a minute there's no more CT rom hacking? it seemed to consist entirely of either lovely "hard mode" hacks, an arena mode, or hacks about mediocre fanfiction, but that's crazy. why would he do that?
i think he got a cease-and-desist order, maybe i'm confusing this with something else

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

i think he got a cease-and-desist order, maybe i'm confusing this with something else

nah dawg u thinking of that Chrono Trigger Resurrection

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

jrpgs are lovely games for children, news at 11

why yes i would love to spend 80 hours of my life grinding and reading unskippable, terribly written anime dialogue. not that i have any problem with terribly written anime dialogue, but who the gently caress has time to spend reading it for like 60 hours

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 10, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

your av is me reading your post

ellic
Apr 28, 2009

I never asked for this

Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Endorph posted:

your av is me reading your post

it is a pretty sweet av i will admit

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Bongo Niggers

Wolfman Nards
Apr 5, 2011

but sometimes i want to PLAY anime

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
have you heard of real doll

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Wolfman Nards posted:

but sometimes i want to PLAY anime

that's what dating sims are for

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Ragg posted:

Bioware Writing is Win and hell the Mass Effect series is awsome. But Baldur's Gate barely has any writing at all and the core systems are fucken broken.

That's because 2nd edition D&D was loving broken, which was the system it was using.

If asked, I would agree that I loved Chrono Trigger but I would add that there were many really amazing RPGs released the same year CT was (:eng101: 1995). Earthbound, Tales of Phantasia, and Phantasy Star 4 to name three, and all of these games were better than Chrono Trigger IMHO.

So yeah, I loved CT and I'm glad it exists because it's an amazing game, just not my favorite.

Though, any time anyone asks me what my favorite RPG is I tell them it's Blue Dragon.

Mazed posted:

Real talk: Chrono Trigger is the only game I give 10/10

Same but replace Chrono Trigger with Final Fantasy IX. Mazed how have you not played FF9 and/or WTF is wrong with FF9 to you that you do not give it 10/10?

PS: Phantasmagoria was also released in '95.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 10, 2014

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
WTF man, all of those other games suck and all my friends who plaeyed them turned into giant gay friend of the family babbys.
Also, FF9 is literally the worst FF game not on PS3... Even teh first 13 is better than it lol!
Who the gently caress has even heard of phantasmagoria as a snes game/

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I liked Chrono Trigger

I thought it was good

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

No, I'm young, verile, and have passion

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

jrpgs are lovely games for children, news at 11

why yes i would love to spend 80 hours of my life grinding and reading unskippable, terribly written anime dialogue. not that i have any problem with terribly written anime dialogue, but who the gently caress has time to spend reading it for like 60 hours

you dont have to play entire games in one sitting. you can save the game and then go back to it later

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
of course you probably already know that and are just being unpleasant because you dont have anything to really say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Jenner posted:

Same but replace Chrono Trigger with Final Fantasy IX. Mazed how have you not played FF9 and/or WTF is wrong with FF9 to you that you do not give it 10/10?

PS: Phantasmagoria was also released in '95.

FF9 was great but it had some pretty glaring issues. Namely that the battle system was slow as gently caress. An emulation patch or remake that sped up battle animations and removed the load times would be baller as gently caress though.

Also that several of the party characters just stop mattering to the plot abruptly. Or never mattered to the plot at all.

• Locked thread