Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime is great!
Sep 14, 2007

I think I rented Chrono Trigger twice in order to beat it. Hah, does anybody remember renting nintendo games from safeway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Concordat posted:

FF9 was great but it had some pretty glaring issues. Namely that the battle system was slow as gently caress. An emulation patch or remake that sped up battle animations and removed the load times would be baller as gently caress though.

Also that several of the party characters just stop mattering to the plot abruptly. Or never mattered to the plot at all.

FF9 came out when my Playstation was on its last legs and I got tired of it hanging on Zidane's stupid skill animation. Imagine seeing him raise his dagger over and over for a solid minute. Chrono Trigger on the Playstation played the same as well.

What I'm saying is, RPG's aren't all that fun on newer consoles because they take so much time doing stupid poo poo. And when your system is old as gently caress its going to eat up even more time.

Also Zeality was a tool-bag who thought it would be better to fake a C&D instead of releasing his ROM hack that took over five years to make.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I like Earthbound better because I like the atmosphere but Chrono Trigger is undeniably the better game from a technical standpoint

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

KaosMachina posted:

I like Earthbound better because I like the atmosphere but Chrono Trigger is undeniably the better game from a technical standpoint

they're both good

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

The dumbest part of Chrono Trigger was when they explained the three person party limit with plot reasons, which were all retarded. Nobody cares! Everyone would have been fine with an arbitrary and unexplained three person party.

Oh and also all the other dumb time plot things, like when you change history and it turns out you're now a lizard. Why are you still here at all if all your ancestors never existed after the lizard people won and wiped out the humans in prehistoric times? For fucks sake.

Actually I'm just going to extend the "dumbest part" to be every part that isn't just you doing rad double and triple techs. Except for the part where you bring some pervert an erotic photograph of a snake woman. That was a good part of the plot. Kind of makes you wonder why they didn't change that in localization while they were turning all the beers into soda and altering Frog from a gigantic rear end in a top hat into just some dude who speaks Ye Oldenese.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Everyone is a frog living in denial. Everyone is also inbred as gently caress.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tunahead posted:

The dumbest part of Chrono Trigger was when they explained the three person party limit with plot reasons, which were all retarded. Nobody cares! Everyone would have been fine with an arbitrary and unexplained three person party.

Actually that was a cool and elegant way of handling the party limit.

The rest was just normal RPG poo poo.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Tunahead posted:

Oh and also all the other dumb time plot things, like when you change history and it turns out you're now a lizard. Why are you still here at all if all your ancestors never existed after the lizard people won and wiped out the humans in prehistoric times? For fucks sake.

Actually I'm just going to extend the "dumbest part" to be every part that isn't just you doing rad double and triple techs. Except for the part where you bring some pervert an erotic photograph of a snake woman. That was a good part of the plot. Kind of makes you wonder why they didn't change that in localization while they were turning all the beers into soda and altering Frog from a gigantic rear end in a top hat into just some dude who speaks Ye Oldenese.
You sound like you know lots of interesting things about the original Chrono Trigger.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

some real Platform Masters itt

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chronotriggers music is uniquely great and finding out that all the bullshit you did earlier in the game came back at the trial was really cool.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Chrono friend of the family.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Tunahead posted:

Actually I'm just going to extend the "dumbest part" to be every part that isn't just you doing rad double and triple techs. Except for the part where you bring some pervert an erotic photograph of a snake woman. That was a good part of the plot.

Wait wait. You could actually do something with that?

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Spenny posted:

Chrono friend of the family.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Tunahead posted:

Actually I'm just going to extend the "dumbest part" to be every part that isn't just you doing rad double and triple techs. Except for the part where you bring some pervert an erotic photograph of a snake woman. That was a good part of the plot.

Mazed posted:

Wait wait. You could actually do something with that?

I'm curious about this too, I thought the bromide being useful for something was middle school playground stuff. Don't hold out on us.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

you can give it to some old perv for a magic capsule

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
why the gently caress is there a chronopedia lol

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
oh poo poo I dunno if I should keep attacking this boss maybe i'll check out the chronopedia

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

jrpgs are lovely games for children, news at 11

why yes i would love to spend 80 hours of my life grinding and reading unskippable, terribly written anime dialogue. not that i have any problem with terribly written anime dialogue, but who the gently caress has time to spend reading it for like 60 hours

Anime dialogue is good, and saying "news at 11" is gay.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

big duck equals goose posted:

why the gently caress is there a chronopedia lol

everything must have its own wikipedia before it is lost to time

DarksydePhilFish
Dec 31, 2004

tabarnak ack ack
Chrono Trigger is cool because it caused a bunch of autists to spend countless hours creating an embarrassing literal re-translation.

Chrono Trigger posted:

Beings that are born of dreams, must return to them...
The power of Lavos can make hopes and dreams come true...

Oh My God posted:

Born of dreams, returning to dreams...…Beings such as that exist as well.
At times, human prayers and desires borrow the power of Lavos-sama and materialize.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Herpes. posted:

Chrono Trigger is cool because it caused a bunch of autists to spend countless hours creating an embarrassing literal re-translation.

im glad he readded "sama" at the end of lavos. that was causing a major plothole regarding how the mystics saw lavos

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Herpes. posted:

kill all autisms imho

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

closeted republican posted:

im glad he readded "sama" at the end of lavos. that was causing a major plothole regarding how the mystics saw lavos

i don't get why people use honorifics in any translations when it's so goddamn easy to localize it

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Oh My God posted:

Born of dreams, returning to dreams...…Beings such as that exist as well.
At times, human prayers and desires borrow the power of Mr.Lavos and materialize.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I want to read more of this literal translation, someone please point me in the right direction

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

romanowski posted:

I want to read more of this literal translation, someone please point me in the right direction

https://www.fucktard.com

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Frog's real name is Kaeru

because kaeru is frog in glorious nipponese

godkami-sama drat it

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I always named Frog Glenn and Robo R-66Y.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

wow thanks...not

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

romanowski posted:

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/542/ this is the best literal translation

Dec 26, 2012

it is

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
try rehosting instead of leeching the image, shithead

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Someone do a video LP of this and dramatically read all the dialogue.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

??

i'm not convinced you're telling the truth

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
Balders Gate completely eluded me and I owned it and all the fixins. I just couldn't get into it. If BG played like CT, you'd probably have the perfect game. It didn't, so we didn't.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tunahead posted:

Because it's a silly joke ending.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Herpes. posted:

I beta-tested that and quit before you even go back in time. It was so ridiculous. Like I couldn't figure out why we needed to re-translate it. Maybe they were just bored on not getting anything Chrono related.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
I don't get why people insisted it needed a re-translation in the first place. It was a perfectly fine translation.

I can think of a bunch of psx jrpgs that had especially hideous translations, but for the most part snes translations were good

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
We must always be perfectly true to glorious Nippon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

BloodWulfe posted:

I don't get why people insisted it needed a re-translation in the first place. It was a perfectly fine translation.

I remember the homepage for the project explaining that they didn't think the published translation was bad, just that it took some liberties, and now that two more games had come out and and people would actually sometimes argue about Chrono Trigger Canon, a more direct translation would be interesting/useful.

• Locked thread