Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Five years after ending King of the Hill and 2 1/2 years after an excellent but short lived Beavis and Butthead reboot, Mike Judge is teaming with frequent co-collaborators John Altschuler and Dave Krinsky to make his first foray into live action television with Silicon Valley.

This tech culture sendup stars Thomas Middleditch as Richard, a coder for Google stand-in Hooli, a company in Palo Alto, CA. Richard shares a house with fellow tech nerds Dinesh (Kumail Nanjiani), Gilfoyle (Martin Starr), Big Head (Josh Brener), and landlord Elrich (TJ Miller) and spends his free time working on a phone app called Pied Piper. Richard's app intends to allow songwriters and musicians to check if their songs infringe on copyrights of previously created songs. Though Pied Piper's profitability is dubious, it is discovered that the app contains a revolutionary algorithm that could be used for much more practical (money making) purposes.

As a result, Richard finds himself in the middle of a bidding war between his boss, Gavin Belson (Matt Ross) and Gavin's former partner, venture capitalist Peter Gregory (Christopher Evan Welch). In the end, Richard has to decide whether he wants to take an easy payday from one of his bidders, or to try for even bigger success on his own.

Critical reception for the show has been very positive so far. It is currently sitting as an 86 rating on metacritic. Alan Sepinwall gave the pilot an A- and said that it's the best project Judge has been involved with in "a very long time." The show has drawn positive comparisons to Judge's own cult movie classic Office Space, The Big Bang Theory, and, oddly enough, Entourage. The one thing the show has been taking flack for so far is the major gender imbalance in the cast. Monica (Amanda Crew), Peter's assistant, is the only female in the main cast. Given Judge's sometimes wacky politics, it's hard to say if or how he'll respond to the criticism.

HBO apparently likes what it sees out of Silicon Valley and has given it a cushy time slot on Sundays at 10 ET, in between Game of Thrones and Veep.

Here's a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69V__a49xtw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Storgar posted:

As a resident of Man Jose, I can tell you this part, at least, is completely realistic.

So I've been told!

I enjoyed the pilot a lot. Judge's gift for satire has never received its due praise and I'd love it if this show could change that.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Uh the actor that is playing Peter Gregory is dead now?

Yeah, Christopher Evan Welch died of lung cancer in December. He filmed all of his scenes for this season before his death, but it's still a shame. It looks like he was going to be an important long-term character on the show. :(

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I wasn't even aware until now that Grindr is a real thing.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Judge has never shied away from using comic relief characters that can be loosely defined as on the spectrum (i.e. Milton Waddams).

hcreight fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 29, 2014

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

ultramiraculous posted:

What makes you put Dale on the spectrum? I'm not sure I disagree, but I'm not sure I disagree.

Yeah I ninja edited Dale out because I wasn't sure about that one. More broadly, Judge isn't afraid to use mental disorders or illness to comedic effect.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I thought this episode was definitely up there with ep 3 for best of the show so far. The mural and the whole hologram segment were both hysterical.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I enjoyed tonight's episode, but it didn't have as many hysterical moments as last week's. I hope they keep Milana Vayntrub's character around, the youtube "talk show" she used to co-host is pretty funny.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

scotty posted:

Any news about the show getting picked up for another season?

It got picked up almost immediately after the season started. The good reviews definitely helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Seriously I'm not even that crazy on enforcing spoilers, but don't ruin that scene for yourself. Just keep going with the show.

• Locked thread