Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

bondster posted:

Haha the audience member of the Ted talk

"FACIST!"

edit: holy poo poo that 1 seated smart car.

That 1 seated smart car is pretty awesome. I know Sergey Brin has a few of them that he drives around:

http://www.commutercars.com/

I happened to be at the HBO premiere in Redwood City and saw the second episode. Definitely only gets better from the first episode.

Elon Musk hated this show though:

http://recode.net/2014/04/03/at-hbos-silicon-valley-premiere-elon-musk-is-pissed/

I was the only one in the theater who laughed at the ME3 finale joke

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

hcreight posted:

I wasn't even aware until now that Grindr is a real thing.

Tinder is the hetero version of Grindr. :science:

Edit:

Looks like they put up a site for Pied Piper.

http://www.piedpiper.com/#hello

Its responsive and everything.

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 7, 2014

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

etalian posted:

HBO released the pilot on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvkmsI54ss4

The gawker story about a man walking through the Bay Area via El Camino Real is spot on, it's basically 90% bland low density suburbia even though the cities like SF and Oakland have some actually unique spots.
Even though ironically the massive infusion of boring tech dollars is even changing the unique spots through things such as the Starbucks effect.

Also all the big name companies like Facebook or Google are jokingly referred to cult compounds by locals since the whole startup culture is pretty much focused at spending the whole day in
the parallel universe. It's pretty much why the companies provide such over the top amenities such as free lunch/shuttles/all types of snacks/full service gym since they want their employees to stay at work cranking out product and also develop a cult like admiration for the overpaid founders of the startup.

Speaking of Gawker, Valleywag is always a fun entertaining read - http://valleywag.gawker.com/ that I assume this show will take a lot of cues from.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Wait, bike meetings are real? Hahaha wow. I also love that article about Elon Musk at the premier.

The way they travel in packs - that part's real as well.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Tibeerius posted:

I totally missed this joke; roughly when was it?

2nd Episode Spoiler:

When the other developers are talking about including Big Head in the company, they mention something about how the it doesn't matter what you do in the Mass Effect 3 finale.
I can't remember exactly the joke since its been a few days and I was drunk at the after party. Sorry :(

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Ochowie posted:

I was surprised by that too. If anything it would seem to be the other way around now. Larry is the CEO and Sergey barely shows up to the office anymore. Maybe this was the case when the search engine was getting off the ground?

That joke got the biggest laugh out of the people at the premiere. I'm guessing its common knowledge around the valley that this is the case.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

DrBouvenstein posted:

It seemed weird that Danesh, Gilfoyle, and Richards were all working for a few years in a "young, hip" tech company but had supposedly never heard of SCRUM.

But that "lowercase letters" logo poo poo was spot-on.

Only because I work in a Scrum environment, but its actually not an acronym. Its just Scrum (like in Rugby).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

Do they seriously refer to tasks as "stories"?

Also, I didn't know this, but Mike Judge worked as a programmer in Silicon Valley straight out of college in the eighties.

If you're really interested, you can PM me. But lets say for something like Diablo:

"As a player, I'd like to be able to change my skills at any point." is a user story. The team then comes up with a list of tasks which need to be accomplished in order to fulfill that task. Something like:

1. Implement changes in code for UI.
2. Implement changes in Back End to account for X
3. Wireframe
4. Provide Visual Design

You can also breakdown stories if they're too big to accomplish in an iteration (1 or 2 weeks). You can get as granular as you'd like but generally, each "Story" just needs to deliver something of value to a user.

"As a player, I'd like to select a skill"
"As a player, I'd like to deselect a skill"

You can then make tasks specific accomplishing each of these stories.

Scrum's a framework to force people to really communicate with their teams. Its not a magical process that will make you suddenly develop a better product. You still need someone with good product vision, good designers, etc. etc.

If its implemented properly, it can be a wonderful thing. Generally though, people just half-rear end implement it, decide that it doesn't work, and then spend a lot of time bad-mouthing it.

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 7, 2014

• Locked thread